Thread: Request changes in GUI names.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Request changes in GUI names.

Following this topic - who result in the fix of the dumb "Afterburner").

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ht=afterburner

Please, chance this names in controls (what is done with text editor and no coding is required):

In Aircraft:

Toggle Selected Engine >>> Start Selected Engine.

Jump Between Pilot and Select Position >>> Transfer aircraft control for Instructor/Co-Pilot Position (e.g. Tiger Moth), the actual "Selected Position" is vague, suggest bombardier, gunner positions but is not the case. The commands for this (toggle crew members) is in View section.

In SP press this "Jump Between Pilot and Selected Position" don't jump you for the 2nd position (Instructor/Co=Pilot) only leave the control for aircraft for AI, is need use after this the "Next Manned Position" for effectively jump for the other position (cockpit).

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...l=1#post224000

In View:

Are two "External View" commands.

The first "External View" >>> Leave Control of Aircraft for AI (is the command executed be Alt+F2, used for return the gunner control for AI in Bf 110, Stuka).

The second "External View >>> is correct for toggle external view (F2), no change in name is needed.

This suggestion will made the GUI more intuitive and logical.

If someone remember other bad word for commands names post there.

BTW - In blue issuggested more logic names, can be something find more suitable.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-16-2017 at 10:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Re: Request changes in GUI names.

Im not a native english speaker and i know that is your case also 1lokos.

I have struggle with the word "toggle" in the past also, but the intention behind it is to "cycle options", in fact, in our language (português) the proper translation would be "alternar". So "start the engine" its not the immediate solution

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post

I have struggle with the word "toggle" in the past also, but the intention behind it is to "cycle options", in fact, in our language (português) the proper translation would be "alternar". So "start the engine" its not the immediate solution
    But you fail in see the logic of my reasoning, in the case the related command (I) is for start the engine, has not to do with "cycle options".

Even for English native speak this toggle in GUI is not informative. *

Your linguistics reasons reminder a case of movie translation here (English to Portuguese).

Spoiler: 

In that movie the commander order "Fix bayonets".

The local military term for this is "Calar baionetas" (French origin I guess).

But the professional translator - with no military knowledge - find strange that "calar" ("shut up" for him), so in the movie the guy end speaking:

"Consertar baionetas" - meaning ~ "repair bayonets".

For similar reason in "Battle of Britain" movie "fighters" end translated as "jatos". Even for "Average Joe" audience sounds strange, no "jets" in the screen. In other movies they use "lutadores".

Murdered word in games (bad used in CloD release) - e.g. Street Fighter - they translate there as "Assassinato por golpe X" instead the more appropriated (in the fight game context) "Morte por golpe X".

My logic in the above suggestions is: names related with the function, not what the professional Russian to English translator (used be 1C) choose, like the case of Forzah resulting in Afterburner in release version - a word that has no relation with WW II planes.

In today aviation "Forzah" can mean "Afterburner" (and Fast and Furious movies ) but in WWII era no (the word "Forzah" is used, e.g. in La-5 era manual).

IL-2 BoS GUI suffer from same problem with bad (professional) translation - that can be linguistic correct - but is not descriptive for commands involved. Eg. "Switch to a next firing point in the current turret", "Nestle to gunsight"...

* If search there, or in other sim foruns, will find users - English native speaking - that wanting assign a joy/throttle button for "start the engine" end struggling for find the command in "the worst flight sim GUI ever (as CloD haters used to say).

In other CloD GUI languages (French, Spanish, Czech...) are used Rustran, and this result that some commands mean the opposite of what should be.

I did translations of IL-2 (original) radio commands and GUI (and In Pursuit guide), and done this I learn that in our game world is better use logic than "professional linguistic rules".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-26-2017 at 12:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Fair reasoning Sokol.

You want to drop the "toggle" and to get a "Start/Stop" engine button? But for engine 1 and 2, independent as they are now, i assume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Fair reasoning Sokol.

You want to drop the "toggle" and to get a "Start/Stop" engine button? But for engine 1 and 2, independent as they are now, i assume.
    For multi-engine planes you first need "Select #1 Engine" or #2 (no 8 engines planes in game like controls predict).

Then you "Start Selected Engine". Is not more logic than "toggle"? Toggle what?

Of course can be something related with starter function: "Ignite Selected Engine"... or at lest (if want maintain the "original") "Toggle ON Ignition in Selected Engine". *

But people is used (in other games) look for "start engine" command.

* In Clod the "magic" I key (that turn OFF and ON magneto switches, together with engine) don't turn engines OFF. So no reference for ON/OFF is needed.

Now for start engine #2, you or "Select #2 Engine" the "Start Selected Engine".

Or use one of this "Toggle" options bellow for select the #2 Engine - Maybe you are confusing this options with my START engine request, here the "cycle options" meaning make sense.

pic host

BTW - I am not asking for this in my own benefit - I am erhhh... "PRO" with games commands (sometimes I had more fun set then than flying), but for the newcomers - that in case of CloD include several aged players returning for simulation and became scare with their confuse commands options.

* If search there, or in other sim foruns, will find users - English native speaking - that wanting assign a joy/throttle button for "start the engine" end struggling for find the command in "the worst flight sim GUI ever (as CloD haters used to say).
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=6067
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-28-2017 at 10:56.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.39 MB

Smile Re: Request changes in GUI names.

"Ignite Selected Engine"
    I would just leave the enemy to that

7. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Not important, by we have: "Signaling Ground Crew to Insert/Remove Chocks".

But wheel chocks prevents aircraft move, but don't prevents a nose heavy aircraft (e.g. Spit) to do a "propeller strike".

Think will be better: "Signaling Ground Crew to Insert/Remove Chocks and Call/Alert Margaret Horton for Hold Tail on Ground".

OK, will sounds strange in German Planes, so "Signaling Ground Crew to Insert/Remove Chocks and Hold Tail on Ground"

Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-16-2017 at 11:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

"With a Joy in my heart , I opened CloD and assigned the relevant keys .... It took me a second or two to remember how crappy CloD controls are and much much longer to find out that "Engine Start" or "Ignition" or "Starup" are called "Toggle Selected Engine(s)" in CloD ."