Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pilots - The Curve

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

New Pilots - The Curve

It's well known that the learning curve for playing clod online is, *ahem* rather steep! As a 'new' pilot who's been playing online for a couple weeks i thought i'd share my thoughts, for new pilots benefit. Think of it as 'managing your expectations'.

Firstly you're going to get shot down, a lot. Don't worry about your stats, take each day/sortie as it comes and don't place high expectations on yourself. At first you'll feel like everyone is flying higher as faster than you. That's probably because they are and there's a good reason for it; Energy. Altitude and speed are interchangeable, if you've got height you've got speed in the bank [diving]. If you've got speed you can swap it for height [climbing]. So logic would suggest the higher you get the better position you're going to be in to fight. So lesson one is climb like hell as early as possible. If you stooge around at 2000' you're going to get the enemy diving at you then climbing back up where you wont be able to catch them.

Then you have spotting, very hard at first (and is for me now). You HAVE to use the zoom function, the enemy will be! Get to know the tell-tale signs of different aircraft. 109's have square edges to the wings, a pale colour and a yellow nose. Hurricanes & Spits have curved wings, dark in colour and a white patch on the tail. Being able to spot these aircraft from a distance is priority. You don't want to spend 5 minutes chasing a friendly only to have an enemy drop on your tail. If an enemy does drop onto your tail break, hard! Don't wait for the tracer to zip past your canopy or you're already dead. Even if you pull the stick so hard you go into a spin it's better than being shot out of the sky. You need to keep your head on a swivel at all times. Don't get target fixated. If you've been staring through your gunsight for more than 10 seconds you need to be looking behind you. Quickly.

Things you struggle with at first such as take-off, landing and navigation will soon become second nature. A bit like learning to drive. It took me a week to get my first air-kill and i didn't even realise it was me who shot him down! And i was getting shot down regularly too. A week later and i took three 109's in one sortie (lucky!). You WILL get better but you HAVE to stick at it. Just remember that everybody started in the same boat as you and a lot of players are racking up 1000+ hours on this sim so yes, they are going to be better than you. Don't get angry or frustrated. Just respawn again and get back up there.

Get on the server, get on teamspeak and start talking to people. Try not to fly on your own as beginner pilots on their own are quickly dispatched. Just as it was in WWII . . . I'd like to publicly thank Marlow and D-Rock for taking the time to help me out (and im sure there are others but i'm terrible with names!) Poor D-Rock got machine-gunned on the runway the other night showing me how to adjust the directional gyro!

So from one new pilot to another; stick with it and learn from your mistakes. Get talking to others and if possible stick with friendlies. I try to get on for an hour most nights so if you see me on teamspeak say hi. I'll wing-up with you
    'The world is wide, full of happenings.
    Keep that in mind and never believe,
    I'm the only one that knows' - Tesshu

Intel i5 3.4 - 8GB RAM - GTX750ti

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    137.50 MB

Re: New Pilots - The Curve

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been playing IL2 on and off since the very first version, and I still consider myself a beginner! At least, I always get shot down pretty quick on the ATAG server. Still, love the sim, they is no better out there in my opinion. Salute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Likes ATAG_Paranoid_Glitch, Prophet liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    440.64 MB

Cool Re: New Pilots - The Curve

Thank you for the support. Just joined and am new to IL2 CLOD. Looking forward to learning.

5. Likes Prophet, farley, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

These posts are a good boost for people like me who have played single player for ages but still haven't quite worked up the courage to hop on the mp server or TS, I thank you for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixCNE View Post
    These posts are a good boost for people like me who have played single player for ages but still haven't quite worked up the courage to hop on the mp server or TS, I thank you for it.
    I really hate to hear this....lol....Its such a shame to hear it man...makes me sad...That folks miss out on so much for the worry of joining...and...There really is no fear of flying the online server...or listening to comms...Install TeamSpeak and just listen...We never ask folks to talk if they don't want to...We are so aware that some folks find it difficult as many of us did when we started out...but you have to do it...there is so much to enjoy...Can I give you a scenario....:

So you download TeamSpeak....you set it up and make up your name for it....and you join the channel...you don't have a mic...or you don't want to turn it on...You have TS running through your PC speakers...not even plugged in a headset...You haven't started the game even...You are just listening...that's all...doing other stuff around the house maybe...Just have it on like the radio to listen to the folks chit chatting and dogfighting...That's it...That is entertaining in itself...and to fly with it on is no different....

The scenario I have just given you is the one to try first if you have any reservations...No game....no mic....nothing...only a speaker to listen....Do other stuff on your PC while you listen...whatever you want...like its just the radio...You will soon realise how addictive it is and why flying on your own is nothing like it...You never have to talk on it if you don't want...But it does get to a point where you really want to anyway...

Listen...Its all about having fun...No one is here telling you how to do that...everyone has fun in their own way and that's how it should be...But there maybe something you are missing...and that's all any one of us can say to you...have fun either way..~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by retiredcop View Post
    Thank you for the support. Just joined and am new to IL2 CLOD. Looking forward to learning.
    We have other 'retired cops' here too...Welcome...and enjoy buddy...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

9. Likes ATAG_Pattle, Prophet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Totally agree.

Really positive stuff chaps!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

11. Likes Prophet, PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Hey Retiredcop.

Plenty of us here have either been in or are in the job mate.

Great to have you join us. Get stuck in and have fun.

When my rig gets back from repairs, will keep a look out for you.

Fantastic original post by the way.

Pattle

13. Likes Prophet, ATAG_Snarglepuss, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Former NSW Mounted Police back in the Eighties here.
    Welcome to the forums.
    Cheers, Scream.
    Last edited by Screamadelica; Feb-04-2017 at 05:50.
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks chaps

I too remember the feeling of jumping on the server for the first time. You just think 'there's no way' i'll be able to play like this. No map position, no boxes around the enemy planes, complex engine management [that couldn't be easier] etc. It all seems too much. You don't want to embarrass yourself by doing something stupid and you don't want to say the wrong thing and look a tit. The simple fact is that everyone has been where you are now. We've all flown the wrong way by accident, binned it on take-off, fired at a friendly or just got shot down time after time. But despite all that there is something that'll keep drawing you back . . . The thrill of the chase.

I was chasing a 110 with somebody the other night (still terrible with names) along the top of the waves. His rear gunner managed to wound me and put a bullet in the other chaps radiator but we stayed with him. We must have chased him for 15 minutes slowly drawing nearer. Eventually we gave him a squirt, he dropped below the waves and we turned for Hawkinge. By now his spitty was pouring glycol and i'd throttled right back to try and stay with him. My screen was slowly getting redder by the minute. I have no idea if he landed ok as my computer froze up and i had to reboot! I later found out it was a dodgy sata cable. VERY frustrating and i was looking forward to landing those wounded birds. Even a simple scenario like that is something you wont get on single player and the overall feeling of having shot down another human is quite exhilarating.

Look me up on TS at some point, even if you want to drop into another channel. I'll fly with you
    'The world is wide, full of happenings.
    Keep that in mind and never believe,
    I'm the only one that knows' - Tesshu

Intel i5 3.4 - 8GB RAM - GTX750ti

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I foresee the birth of a new squadron....

I love this stuff!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

17. Likes ATAG_Laser, Prophet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hey Prophet. I am sure your words will prove to be a great help to newer players.

You seem to be doing pretty well, and making good progress since you joined. If you have managed to shoot down 3 109's then that is some going. I have been playing this for a year now and I still haven't managed to shoot down any manned enemy planes on the main server, just a few AI bombers, so Kudos on that.

To all new players I would like to echo the thoughts of all the posters here. Get online, and get on TS, you won't regret it. I am not exactly an outgoing confident kind of guy and I was very nervous about getting on TS at first, but I am so glad that I took the plunge and now fly regularly with a great bunch of guys, and we have a lot of fun. Sometimes we fly on the main server, and sometimes we just mess around on one of the quieter servers. Remember, It's all about the fun

I would just like to add my own welcome to the new players that have posted above. Hope to see you guys in the virtual skies soon

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

19. Likes Prophet, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
    Thanks chaps

I too remember the feeling of jumping on the server for the first time. You just think 'there's no way' i'll be able to play like this. No map position, no boxes around the enemy planes, complex engine management [that couldn't be easier] etc. It all seems too much. You don't want to embarrass yourself by doing something stupid and you don't want to say the wrong thing and look a tit. The simple fact is that everyone has been where you are now. We've all flown the wrong way by accident, binned it on take-off, fired at a friendly or just got shot down time after time. But despite all that there is something that'll keep drawing you back . . . The thrill of the chase.

Great posts, Prophet...and I had great fun that day we flew together with DRock.

Like a few others in my Initial Training Class (Pattle, Laser, Highseas, Vampire, Dix, etc) I've been flying on the Atag server for exactly a year now and your post brought it all back...especially the fear of going 'on line' for the first time coupled with the fear of saying something on Team Speak that would 'cock everything up' and ruin it for everybody else!

I think most new pilots that come online think that getting CLoD to work well so that they can start to get kills is all there is to it. It's a technical thing! Learn the sim and you're there! I thought this, too. I was SO WRONG!

Because then I met other pilots on Team Speak...all the 'Rag Tags,' of course and we continue to have a ball flying together......but also all the other wonderful characters that make up the ATAG Main Server 'family'....Moose, DRock, 238 Knight, Dave, Yo, Lewis, Bondi, Freya, Snarglepuss, Vortex and all the ATAG guys...too many names to mention...and that camaraderie, that sharing, is what, for me built the sim into something far more unique than just a flight sim.

Often, I fly and just listen and that's fantastic. If you haven't heard poor old Snargle lamenting yet another suicidal Blennie run you haven't lived. No matter how many times they knock him down he gets up and has another punt! Listening to Moose laconically drawling about another 'crispy' (his sixth of the sortie!) makes you realise how skilled he is (and how much more you've got to learn). Or listening to DRock or Rebel describing an air battle on the deck, feet wet out side Dover Harbour.....exhilarating, fast paced and urgent......like the best 'live' radio....it's like listening to history repeating itself. I suppose what I'm talking about here is not the technical at all, it's the human touch! And that makes ALL the difference!

As Lewis and Prophet say getting on Team Speak is an ABSOLUTE MUST! You will miss out on so much if you don't. It would be like watching a play with half the actors missing or watching TV with the sound off. It still amazes me that so many people choose to fly without TS. Don't delay: download TS now and as Lew says, just listen....and when you're ready just say 'hello.' You'd be doing yourself a huge favour and we'd love to have you with us! Salute All!
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; Feb-04-2017 at 19:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Heya Retiredcop....per Pattle and Scream, Welcome to the Forum.
    Former RC Mounted Police (1979) and city police (80, 81) here on the
    desolate Canadian prairies......

From this proud member of the Bloated Blennie Brigade; A big welcome to all new players.
    Get on TS as soon as possible and we'll have you smiting the wretched foe with us in no time.
    more fun than should be allowed by law or conscience
    .....do remember to set up push to talk though.....occasionally my Mrs. has to close the door
    on me in game....just when things (I) get a little animated.....dosn't always go my way here........
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hey Snargle. Maybe you can help me out a bit regarding the Blennie.

I usually always fly spits or Hurricanes with Highseas, Marlow and a few others, but we are talking of attempting a Blennie run sometime.

I have flown a Blennie a few times, not very often though. I can now get her started and airbourne, but was wondering if you could help me out with a problem I am having actually dropping bombs.

As I fly fighters I have had to dedicate more keys for the Blennie, but having dedicated a key for "Drop ordnance / bombs" well, I press it and nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Cheers, laser

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post

I usually always fly spits or Hurricanes with Highseas, Marlow and a few others, but we are talking of attempting a Blennie run sometime.

I have flown a Blennie a few times, not very often though. I can now get her started and airbourne, but was wondering if you could help me out with a problem I am having actually dropping bombs.

As I fly fighters I have had to dedicate more keys for the Blennie, but having dedicated a key for "Drop ordnance / bombs" well, I press it and nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Cheers, laser
    Not sure what's up with that. I currently have my space bar set up for dropping bombs. I've been at this so long I've worn out
    a rocker switch or two that I previously had been using. Have you winged up with anyone to see if they are not really dropping?
    If you've 11 second fuses set you may be too far gone to notice the blast. I only use 1 second and can often hear the bang of the bomb
    behind me. (and occasionally the "POFF" of a wingless 109 striking the ground)
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    As Lewis and Prophet say getting on Team Speak is an ABSOLUTE MUST! You will miss out on so much if you don't. It would be like watching a play with half the actors missing or watching TV with the sound off.
    BANG ON.

Well put sir !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

25. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

Any ideas?

Cheers, laser
    Will they drop if you switch to bomber position and press the yellow buttons on your left? May tell you if its a loadout problem or a keybind problem at least.

I will definitely be joining you all online very soon, couldn't be a more inviting bunch. A lot of it will be finding the time periods that the kids will let me have enough peace to have fun doing it. Thanks to the lot of ya. I should have asked if Lew's commentary on TS is anything like his videos That alone is worth hopping on TS for lol

27. Likes ATAG_Highseas, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

For the record. NSW Police 1990-2000, split mostly in the Riverina, between uniform and D's. And Scream, your pic for mine, is one of the best best albums ever. Violator, doesn't get much better mate!

Snargle, can picture you in the Mounties mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Will they drop if you switch to bomber position and press the yellow buttons on your left? May tell you if its a loadout problem or a keybind problem at least.

I will definitely be joining you all online very soon, couldn't be a more inviting bunch. A lot of it will be finding the time periods that the kids will let me have enough peace to have fun doing it. Thanks to the lot of ya. I should have asked if Lew's commentary on TS is anything like his videos That alone is worth hopping on TS for lol
    Please do join us on TS Phoenix, You won't regret it

Think I am making progress concerning bombing in the Blennie. The only time that I have tried bombing before online was a couple of weeks back on the bomber server, but I only hit the bomb release button once, so only 1 bomb released, and I never saw an explosion.

So, have been trying the offline quick missions where you get external views and no bombs were dropping. But it seems that you cannot switch crew positions, and the bombs will not drop offline, as just tried to do the same on Lead Farm, switched to external view, then, over the sea dropped 4 bombs ok.

Didn't see any explosions, so wondered if I should have armed the bombs somehow first.

Will continue experimenting over the weekend

30. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    For the record. NSW Police 1990-2000,
    You boys don't mind if I keep on breaking the law though right?

I mean

It's not like much of it really applies to me anyway.

Actually.. forget I asked...

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

32. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Offline quick missions, the blennie will not be loaded with bombs unless you have saved a bomb set in MP or the FMB and then selected that set by clicking the down arrow in the quick mission setup screen.

Offline, if you cannot switch positions that has something to do with your realism settings, cannot remember which one as I am not on gaming comp.

Bomb setup screen. I use pistol ever ready with a 1 or 11 sec delay, not sure how the other ones act, but this may be why you are not seeing an explosion as some may need to be dropped from a higher alt before dropping. Again not on comp to confirm or not.

Please do join us on TS Phoenix, You won't regret it

Think I am making progress concerning bombing in the Blennie. The only time that I have tried bombing before online was a couple of weeks back on the bomber server, but I only hit the bomb release button once, so only 1 bomb released, and I never saw an explosion.

So, have been trying the offline quick missions where you get external views and no bombs were dropping. But it seems that you cannot switch crew positions, and the bombs will not drop offline, as just tried to do the same on Lead Farm, switched to external view, then, over the sea dropped 4 bombs ok.

Didn't see any explosions, so wondered if I should have armed the bombs somehow first.

Will continue experimenting over the weekend

34. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post

The scenario I have just given you is the one to try first if you have any reservations...No game....no mic....nothing...only a speaker to listen....Do other stuff on your PC while you listen...whatever you want...like its just the radio...
    "Go on. It's just a pill and it will be fun. You can't get addicted on just one pill. You can stop any time."

Next Lewis will be suggesting you just watch some videos of Lewis & his wingman hunting 109s. It will look so easy and such fun. Where's the harm in that? Surely you can watch a video without needing to jump online immediately?
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

36. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Highseas, ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Playing online it's like approaching a girl for the first time...initially it scares a bit but once you have tried it you will become very quickly addicted to it and you will end saying " Why have I waited so long to try???!!! " ( and in addition you have also the advantage, differently from a real girl speaking, that in case of too much noise to be heard you have available the " MUTE " button if needed on Teamspeak )

Welcome aboard Flieger!
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Feb-06-2017 at 11:38.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Cool Re: New Pilots - The Curve

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    I really hate to hear this....lol....Its such a shame to hear it man...makes me sad...That folks miss out on so much for the worry of joining...and...There really is no fear of flying the online server...or listening to comms...Install TeamSpeak and just listen...We never ask folks to talk if they don't want to...We are so aware that some folks find it difficult as many of us did when we started out...but you have to do it...there is so much to enjoy...Can I give you a scenario....:

So you download TeamSpeak....you set it up and make up your name for it....and you join the channel...you don't have a mic...or you don't want to turn it on...You have TS running through your PC speakers...not even plugged in a headset...You haven't started the game even...You are just listening...that's all...doing other stuff around the house maybe...Just have it on like the radio to listen to the folks chit chatting and dogfighting...That's it...That is entertaining in itself...and to fly with it on is no different....

The scenario I have just given you is the one to try first if you have any reservations...No game....no mic....nothing...only a speaker to listen....Do other stuff on your PC while you listen...whatever you want...like its just the radio...You will soon realise how addictive it is and why flying on your own is nothing like it...You never have to talk on it if you don't want...But it does get to a point where you really want to anyway...

Listen...Its all about having fun...No one is here telling you how to do that...everyone has fun in their own way and that's how it should be...But there maybe something you are missing...and that's all any one of us can say to you...have fun either way..~S~
    Not sure how old you are Lew, but i would just like to say. That you always say the right thing in your posts.

They are always full of common sense and encouragement.

TS is a nightmare for me, even to actually put the headset on and login to it makes my nerves jangle.

Had a marvellous time with Marlow last week, late in the evening on TS.

He flew around with me for about 2 hrs and then chatted on TS.

Thank you Marlow, you are a true gentleman.

That is not to say i don't thoroughly enjoy CLOD just flying around on my own and learning the map.

Now i can get the Blenheim off the ground, i have found my calling.

All the best,
    Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Lewis' maturity for such a 'young' man is quite rare it must be said.

Im not bad at maths but I wouldnt be able to count how many of us he has helped when kicking off here.

40. Likes Hurricane, ATAG_Lewis, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    Lewis' maturity for such a 'young' man is quite rare it must be said.
    You put the quotation marks a few words too late.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Haha 'Seas. They could have gone anywhere and everywhere just about

43. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Ahh...missed this thread for few weeks...Always weird when you come back to a thread and there's multiple posts you missed...especially when you are on the forums as much as I am...

Someone mentioned my age?

Anyway...I was 51 last September...My avatar is about 10 years old now...so I'm a bit greyer than that now...probably around 30 years older than the poor lads who where risking their lives in these machines in the 40's...

As for TeamSpeak...Well...It took me some time to get into the swing of it...But I have been using it for over 10 years now so its not so much of a big thing anymore...but like any socialising I have to be in the right mood first...I don't always feel like it...I remember when I first started using it I was very quiet and let others chat away...not sure what I sounded like...nervous of what I said...incase I said something wrong...I still say wrong stuff sometimes and come away thinking 'I shouldn't have said that'...I've lost sleep over it before wondering if I had upset someone...but mostly because I might have offended someone with my cutting Brit humour...so I try and reel that in a bit when I'm on TS...

The problem we have with TS is that first we are talking with folks from all over the world...and even though for most of us English is our first language we can still be misunderstood easily when we use colloquial terms...so I have to sometimes do a bit of thinking before I speak...I don't speak the same to folks where I live for instance...They can see emotions in my face and understand my accent too...so for TS and forums I do a lot of lol'ing so there is no room for misunderstanding as to how lightly my words are to be taken...

So there really is a bit of a skill to be learned if you don't want those types of misunderstandings...and that makes it all the more daunting for new players...In this day and age kids are playing on TS (or similar) on Xbox's and Spacestations (there's another joke in there somewhere...you see that?...you see what I just did there?...lol) from a young age so they grow up with this stuff...For those of us that are more mature we have had the excitement of watching how this new ability to play and talk with folks from all over the world with not even a nanosecond of delay all at the same time in one channel in TeamSpeak has evolved...and its scary and daunting...no doubt for us older types...

CLOD is also a sim that is more attractive to the older more mature generation that wasn't brought up on this format...We made plastic aircraft kits and ran around the grassy parks with homemade catapults...So its important that in order to encourage folks to make the most of this sim we allow our new players to use the free TeamSpeak and only listen if they want to...for as long as they like...They never have to talk if they don't want to...That will help them get into it and at least not miss out on it for nerves or fear...

We have an exceptional community here of mature aviation historian and fanatics who enjoy flying a 'Full Real' WW2 flight sim with folks from all over the world and to experience the cake without the icing is not to have lived...even if you eventually recognise that that aspect is not for you...The last thing I want to hear is any new player coming to this sim and missing out on this part of CLOD and its community...

Easing into talking on TeamSpeak

There's something you can do if you want to ease your self into TeamSpeak...Learn what are the stock sayings...Such as....'Check 6'...'Spit BREAK BREAK'....'109 at 20 K at Dover'...even...'Wheels up Canterbury'...'Taxiing Hawkinge'...'Finals at Lympne (which is pronounced 'Lim' by the way...Silent 'pne' as if the English language wasn't complicated enough!...and don't worry if you are not from these fair isles either...We hear Brits call it 'Limpnee'...and 'Hawkins' all day long on TS...lol).....Write them down if you want when you hear them and say them back into TS when the appropriate time comes...No one even minds if you are butting in when someone else is holding court with an anecdote if what you are saying can save someone's virtual life ingame...Say 'Sorry for butting in' would be nice after the excitement is over but we all accept that our virtual lives come first when it comes to TS etiquette...Folks in this sim can spend 30 minutes getting altitude and will be very appreciative if you try to save their skin even if a joke gets spoilt near a punch line...So no offence should be taken from that type of scenario when you scream 'SPIT...109...BREAK BREAK...CHECK 6'...They can retell the joke after...

I hear some folks also asking new players to use 'push to talk'...I understand why this can be annoying to the folks on TeamSpeak when someone doesn't have 'voice activated' set up properly...Folks tend to shout 'Open Mic' (meaning we can hear you eating your crisps/chips(USA))...However for the new players learning this sim hitting 'push to talk' with all the other stuff you are trying to learn mid-dogfight is like spinning plates with your life attached to them...I recommend new players spend a little time figuring the set up for 'voice activated' and make sure that if the Mrs or the dog walks into the room you switch your mic OFF until they leave...Setting up 'voice activated' isn't too tricky (there are YouTube tutorials too) and you can actually see when your mic is being broadcast as there's a blue light that comes on in TeamSpeak next to your name when you speak...Of course if you live in a busy household with lots of background noise then 'push to talk' has to be the way to go...and I think that's what some folks are usually talking about when they say 'use 'push to talk'...Ask an ATAG member to jump into a private channel and help you set 'voice activated' if you are unsure...It doesn't take long to do...

The last point I would like to make is 'Drink'...DON'T GET DRUNK ON TS...A few of us have done it in the past...but if you are anything like me you will wake up with a hangover and the concern and worry that you may have upset the whole online community with your ramblings...and not know exactly what you said either...I even made 'Sorry, I was drunk last night' posts in the forum after I did this in the early days I was so upset with myself in the morning...Its so attractive to want to go and chat with your new found friends after you've had a few sherries at the pub cos you are merry and you know they'll all still be on TeamSpeak where the fun is at until the early hours and you are sat at home on your own wondering how excited and honoured they will be to hear the new drunken but twice as witty you on TS...But take it from someone who's been there...DON'T DO IT!...Haha...

Yet another rambling post by ATAG_Lewis...yawn!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hello all, Not sure im doing this right but here we go, I am new to this or any forums for that matter and not new to Flight Sims. I Have recently updated CLoD with newest mods and have been flying a lot trying to get my joystick and keyboard controls figured out. I am wanting to go online and have tried to download TS but my anti-virus picks up a trojan3 virus. Not clear what to do now. I look forward to flying and learning more in this game. Is there more for me to do to fly online?

IBBRAZIL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast