Thread: 1/72 Scale Aircraft - Swap, buy or sell

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    763 Bytes

1/72 Scale Aircraft - Swap, buy or sell

Thought it might be an idea to see what other nerds lurk here. If you've got any 1/72 scale kits knocking about (particularly if you want to swap) give me a buzz here or ask me on TS.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: 1/72 Scale Aircraft - Swap, buy or sell

reminded me of a kid on Swap Shop back in the late 70s or early 80s- came in with his HUGE airfix collection. I dunno if you remember but it was a feature of the show and it involved the kid with the collection offering a swap for something.

He offered a really badly built , glue everywhere, Hampden with a clearly knackered undercarriage to swap for an unbuilt B29.

Now im not sure how many of you know the size and cost different between an airfix series 4 and a series 7 but if you do im sure your understand my seven year old brain thinking "you greedy little sod!!"

Regards and good luck with the swapsies

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    763 Bytes

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    reminded me of a kid on Swap Shop back in the late 70s or early 80s- came in with his HUGE airfix collection. I dunno if you remember but it was a feature of the show and it involved the kid with the collection offering a swap for something.

He offered a really badly built , glue everywhere, Hampden with a clearly knackered undercarriage to swap for an unbuilt B29.

Now im not sure how many of you know the size and cost different between an airfix series 4 and a series 7 but if you do im sure your understand my seven year old brain thinking "you greedy little sod!!"

Regards and good luck with the swapsies

BOO
    He sounds like a cheeky little bugger, or a future billionaire...

Mate, sorry to say but I wasn't even a twinkle in the milkman's eye when Swap Shop was on!

Cheers for the well wishes though.

4. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

When my uncle passed away in 1999 I inherited a large box full of 1:72 aircraft kits, many dating from the 60's and 70's. I have since built some of them that are now displayed in my garage, but there are still a lot unmade, the largest being the Airfix B29, Sunderland , B24 and Catalina.

The most unusual is a vac formed Avro York fuselage, you use the wings and tail from a Lancaster ( I also have that pretty bad Airfix Lancaster kit from the 70's)

Other unusual kits include a Frog Fairey Gannett, comet air racer, the Ryan "Spirit of st Louis" and too many others to mention.

Not looking to sell or swap any of these, just thought this might be of interest here, oh, and yes, I am old enough to remember Swap Shop

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

6. Likes farley, BOO, aspidistra, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Hi aspidistra,

Also a scale modelling nerd here, with 1:72 Airfix being my favorite for the price. Figured there would be a bunch of guys here doing the same. For some screamin' deals, check out hyperscale's trading forum.

http://www.clubhyper.com/forums/planetradingframe.htm

~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

In 1:72 I am dabbling with ships.
    My favourite Scale for airplanes is 1:48, but for special occasions (and if I do not have to find space for the thing at my place) I also do 1:32

Guess what ac I build ...
    http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum...56524&pageNo=1
    http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum...60692&pageNo=1
    http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum...threadID=58752
    Last edited by DerDa; Mar-19-2017 at 14:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Wow!

nice work sir !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Love the minions !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post

The most unusual is a vac formed Avro York fuselage, you use the wings and tail from a Lancaster ( I also have that pretty bad Airfix Lancaster kit from the 70's)
    Ah the old airfix lanc - for their faults the raised detail on an old airfix 1/72 or 1/48 tamiya lanc still looks better than the newer version's recessed panel gouges...sorry.....lines.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

12. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Nice cockpit work Derda. Love it. CLOD is an awesome resource for modelling.

Here's some 1:72 Airfix planes my inlaws got me for Christmas (thought Christmas presents were lame as an adult, until now. haha). I commandeered the boy's walk-in closet and had production in full force this winter.

Blenheim_topview3_sm.jpgBF-110_Airfix.pngStuka.pngstuka_belly.pngStuka_front.pngmancave.jpg

14. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Nice work Zeb!

Seriously jealous of your man cave!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I like that Airfix, after years in the doldrums, are now coming back with some terrific kits.

I built the 1/24 typhoon about 2 years ago and WOW! - stressed metal effects, raised surface and fine rivet detail, cartograph decals and some astonishing OOB detail achievable without having to faff with multi media or expensive after market stuff.

17. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    700.64 MB

Really well done works zeb!
    I personally just restarted my model activities in the last months after years of nothing.
    1/72 is the scale that I prefer for airplanes. They are fast to do and quite enjoyable without spending weeks on model.

Inviato dal mio Moto G (4) utilizzando Tapatalk

19. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

"Weeks"?

I got a mig-21 that's 3yr old and is still having all those damn stencils applied!!

21. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    I like that Airfix, after years in the doldrums, are now coming back with some terrific kits.
    Absolutely.
    The new 1:48 Spitfire Vb from Airfix is considered the very best in this scale. It is sitting here together with a Tamiya Vb Trop and an Italieri Vc, waiting for TFS 5.0

23. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I personally just restarted my model activities in the last months after years of nothing.
    1/72 is the scale that I prefer for airplanes. They are fast to do and quite enjoyable without spending weeks on model.

Inviato dal mio Moto G (4) utilizzando Tapatalk
    Yeah I just started again this winter after not doing any since high school (late 90's, I'm not that old ha). I've been blown away by the new materials and molds available. I worked several years as a mold/tool maker and looking at Airfix's stuff, they really know what they're doing. The box art, instructions, and everything for a great value.

aspidistra, sorry we kind of derailed your thread. You got the nerds running around lighting fires! To be on topic, I talked to my friend today, who has more models than he has years left to build them, and he only carried piles of the bigger kits.

-Zeb

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.12 MB

I started making models again for my kid, after a nearly 40 year hiatus. I find 1:72 is a decent scale for jets, I think it's a bit small for prop fighters. Plus, prop blades tend to break off when handled by kids. For the same reason I always build with gear retracted. The glues and paints and tool available are infinitely better than I remember. I buy all my kits on eBay, lots of people have old kits they never got around to building.