Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trackhat with CLOD

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

Re: Trackhat with CLOD

Reckon I've got to make slight modifications to my headphones; The ear pieces are angled so when I attach it the sensors point inwards. Think if I add a piece of wood to allow the sensors to be positioned parallel to my face, I'll get a better output.

2. Likes No.119_Viper (VK-S) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi everyone,

I've just removed a couple of OT posts that dealt with inner club business, not the subject at hand.

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

4. Likes Pans, No.119_Viper (VK-S), ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've just removed a couple of OT posts that dealt with inner club business, not the subject at hand.

Cheers,

Snapper
    Excuse me..... You did what Snap?

Without setting up a board to discuss it, and a referendum???

Whatever happened to 50 % plus one? I COULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE!!!!!

Taking away my very favorite posts without me even having a say.....

It's a sad day for democracy..... Time to change the name here to ATAG D, for ATAG Dictatorship.....

How can anything ever be the same again between us..... and we live in the same province even..... we could have talked about this over a beer..... or pretended we were English and done it over a good cuppa.....
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

LOL

Please, think of me as the ATAG bartender. Sometimes a drink gets spilled and I just mop it up and the party carries on.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

Right, I've got it working, but need to tweak it to reach full levels of satisfaction: I've no previous experience with 6DOF, only Edtracker, so checking 6 without auto moving X axis was a little odd. I found I had to move my camera over from centre to almost in line with the clip so I could get my full right yaw movement recognised. This was fine, however I've noticed that turning my head will change the zoom, as when I right turn it moves away from the camera, and vice versa for the left turn. Is there a setting that I can change in trackhat.opentrack which allows the tracking software to take this into account? Something like an adjustable value for distance of tracker from centre of my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jameswgm View Post
    Right, I've got it working, but need to tweak it to reach full levels of satisfaction: I've no previous experience with 6DOF, only Edtracker, so checking 6 without auto moving X axis was a little odd. I found I had to move my camera over from centre to almost in line with the clip so I could get my full right yaw movement recognised. This was fine, however I've noticed that turning my head will change the zoom, as when I right turn it moves away from the camera, and vice versa for the left turn. Is there a setting that I can change in trackhat.opentrack which allows the tracking software to take this into account? Something like an adjustable value for distance of tracker from centre of my head.
    Did you use the calibration function?Trackhat software needs it to calculate where the clip is on your head.I think it will cure your problem.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn S50 met Tapatalk
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

Calibrate is greyed out on my trackhat software whether it's tracking or not. I've tried to manually adjust some of the values to compensate which seems to have improved the output.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

some great info here and good explanations as to what things do in the opentrack software.

shame photobucket killed lewis's images!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Sturm View Post
    Calibrate is greyed out on my trackhat software whether it's tracking or not. I've tried to manually adjust some of the values to compensate which seems to have improved the output.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Download opentrack. Pretty much the same software and all the features work. Calibration is important to maintain center.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    843.06 MB

set mine up last night, did it the hard way, still needs a few tweaks but looks good so far, might up grade to the wireless hat version
    echo_fives when flying online

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Bear in mind that the wireless one requires batteries...AFAIK they last a long time but obviously the batteries run out at some point and that maybe an issue mid-dogfight...That's the reason I went with the wired version...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    58.16 MB

Hi all

I am a rank newbie to CLOD/ATAG and am on a steep learning curve at the moment - but getting there slowly. This is my 1st post, so please forgive me if I ask too much.....

I am really interested in getting a headtracker but cannot afford TrackIR5. I was really interested in Trackhat/Opentrack (6dof) though and I see that you have spent a great deal of time and effort working through problems with this (Lewis and Stormrider particularly). Do you think the problems have been ironed out and it would be worth my while investing in this? Or does it depend on my PC/video card capacity and would maybe Edtracker be a safer option (although only 3dof).

My PC isnt a really high gaming spec. It has an AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7 processor (8GB RAM and 3.5GHz clock) and the graphics card is and AMD Radeon R7 dual card(Radeon R7 Graphics and Radeon R7 M260). All of this means next to nothing to me and I probably have the settings wrong at the moment, as CLOD is running very jittery/jumpy even with Medium settings in the Video settings.

Any advice appreciated (you can use me as target practice if I get this all running properly) - on headtracking or on video card settings

Thanks. Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Hi McBailey...

First thing is to make sure you have the rig to play the game...Pointless investing in peripherals if you can't run the game right?...So that's priority...Play with settings in game...Not sure how good those 'Game Boosters' are but you can get software that turns off all other background programs when you game so find a free one and try that I guess...It might give you a little extra help in terms of playabilty...

Second...The TrackIR is the best one (IMO) as its the most popular but as you say the price is whacky...The main advantage I find is its plug and play ability...It seems to be pretty well setup out of the box...As for the other alternatives...I can give you the information but is up to you to make the choice...We have folks here who play with either (EDTracker or Opentrack) and have them set up pretty well and competitive...You can get the price well down if you are ok with DIY...The Opentrack/TrackHat with PS3 Eye is a good alternative I think...as it uses similar technology to TrackIR...So the cheapest alternative is to buy the headtracker from eBay for £15($21) and get the PS3 Eye for £5 ($7) and get the free software from Opentrack or TrackHat...Its then up to you to do the DIY on the PS3 Eye which I found quite fun to do and no soldering either...Just a case of taking out one piece internally and adding a piece of used 35mm negative or floppy disc (You need to source that too...Look at the videos on this on YT) and then playing with the software...

I found this to be the better headtracker...I bought one of these and found the build quality very good...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-Trac...MAAOSwKoRZZOil

As for your setup...

Here is the recommended setup given to us by the TFS

Recommended minimum for a high quality experience in CoD:

Intel Core I5 4570 3.2 ghz (if you can find a equivalent in AMD cheaper, then by all means, just be sure it matches up with the Intel)
    Motherboard and power supply to fit
    8 gb DDR3 RAM
    NVidia GTX 660/750ti/760 2 gb VRAAM (again, equivalent AMD is ok, but there are visual anomalies in some situations with this manufacturer)

BUZZSAW....:Our current minimum recommended system which will run the game fine at normal resolutions on a single monitor.

Core I5 3.2 ghz
    NVidia GTX 960 2gb
    8 gb DDR3 RAM
    250 gb Solid State Hard Drive for game and system, backup 3tb SATA drive for storage

An optimum system would use a Core I7 Quad core 4.0 ghz, a GTX 980 6gb, and 16 gb DDR3 RAM. CLOD/BLITZ cannot use more than 4 cores.

You are always better to start a new thread if you want specific info on setup...Make a post in the 'Welcome' section with a note about your setup and you will usually get more help than if you add it to a section talking about headtracking...

Let us know how you get on with that...

....Lew....
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    58.16 MB

Hi Lew. Fantastic response. Very comprehensive. I have heard great things about the ATAG and CLOD community and you have shown that immediately. I will play with my pc and get it running smoothly before thinking about peripherals. Many many thanks for your time in answering my post so fully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Yeah bailey...we sure do have a great community spirit here...Its a big part of this sim...Its exceptional...

Let me know if you manage to get it running ok...and then we can talk about winging up for some 1 to 1 on TS...That's always a ball...and remember if you think you are the only one that's new remember we have guys here who never have even gamed before let alone flight simmed and they have a further road to ride than a lot of us here...So we try hard to make the new wings not feel too concerned with being new wings...if you see what I mean...Without you guys the community and sim doesn't grow...~S~

As far as the headtracking USB clip thingy...I think for the money (£15 -20) on ebay its not worth the trouble...You have a lot of wiring and knowledge you need before you do that and if you aren't sure its not a good idea to build one and then plug into your precious pc as it may wreck stuff in there if you have lose connections or wrong wiring...so just buy one of them from eBay...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jan-18-2018 at 04:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

maybe 3d-print a clipmodel, buy a few(at least 3) SFH485P IR-leds, 1 resistor of 6,7 ohm 250mW for bright shining leds or one of 10 ohm 250mW for weaker shining leds.This is something you have to think about if you can do it.
    3d print clipmodel
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1930447/#files

3d print capmodel
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49142/#files

How to wire everything, you can leave the ptc out of it.

A ps3-eye, the cheapest I found was for €9,95.

But for a complete set
    http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/

or
    https://www.trackhat.org/
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

20. Likes ATAG_Lewis, Tumbler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Excellent post Stormy...~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell119 View Post
    shame photobucket killed lewis's images!
    I have re-installed those pics now...I used Imgur...Photobucket is a turd at the moment...Took me 2 hours of faffing just for one post...Thanks photobucket!...

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    58.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Hi McBailey...

First thing is to make sure you have the rig to play the game...Pointless investing in peripherals if you can't run the game right?...So that's priority...Play with settings in game...Not sure how good those 'Game Boosters' are but you can get software that turns off all other background programs when you game so find a free one and try that I guess...It might give you a little extra help in terms of playabilty...

Second...The TrackIR is the best one (IMO) as its the most popular but as you say the price is whacky...The main advantage I find is its plug and play ability...It seems to be pretty well setup out of the box...As for the other alternatives...I can give you the information but is up to you to make the choice...We have folks here who play with either (EDTracker or Opentrack) and have them set up pretty well and competitive...You can get the price well down if you are ok with DIY...The Opentrack/TrackHat with PS3 Eye is a good alternative I think...as it uses similar technology to TrackIR...So the cheapest alternative is to buy the headtracker from eBay for £15($21) and get the PS3 Eye for £5 ($7) and get the free software from Opentrack or TrackHat...Its then up to you to do the DIY on the PS3 Eye which I found quite fun to do and no soldering either...Just a case of taking out one piece internally and adding a piece of used 35mm negative or floppy disc (You need to source that too...Look at the videos on this on YT) and then playing with the software...

I found this to be the better headtracker...I bought one of these and found the build quality very good...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-Trac...MAAOSwKoRZZOil

As for your setup...

Here is the recommended setup given to us by the TFS

Recommended minimum for a high quality experience in CoD:

Intel Core I5 4570 3.2 ghz (if you can find a equivalent in AMD cheaper, then by all means, just be sure it matches up with the Intel)
    Motherboard and power supply to fit
    8 gb DDR3 RAM
    NVidia GTX 660/750ti/760 2 gb VRAAM (again, equivalent AMD is ok, but there are visual anomalies in some situations with this manufacturer)

BUZZSAW....:Our current minimum recommended system which will run the game fine at normal resolutions on a single monitor.

Core I5 3.2 ghz
    NVidia GTX 960 2gb
    8 gb DDR3 RAM
    250 gb Solid State Hard Drive for game and system, backup 3tb SATA drive for storage

An optimum system would use a Core I7 Quad core 4.0 ghz, a GTX 980 6gb, and 16 gb DDR3 RAM. CLOD/BLITZ cannot use more than 4 cores.

You are always better to start a new thread if you want specific info on setup...Make a post in the 'Welcome' section with a note about your setup and you will usually get more help than if you add it to a section talking about headtracking...

Let us know how you get on with that...

....Lew....
    Hi Lewis

I am still struggling with FPS/Stuttering I am afraid, even though I dont seem to be using my full CPU/GPU capacity. Very frustrating at moment and close to giving up. Its really weird - doesnt make much difference on Very high (9fps) or very low (14fps) Video settings on Quick Mission. I must be able to get better than this. Just posted on the Welcome thread but no responses yet......
    Hi all. I am sorry if this is a tired question by now, but I have to ask as a newbie……

Any thoughts why my FPS is only about 12-15, with occasional stuttering, when neither my CPU or GPU seem to be operating anywhere near capacity (percentage wise). I know that my PC spec is not great for gaming (it wasn’t bought for gaming 2 years ago), but I don’t seem to be utilizing the CPU or GPU capacities and must be able to get more out of them in order to increase performance/smoothing or graphics.

What does seem odd is that it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference to FPS or stuttering when I run on high, medium or low (in game video settings). So no real benefit of low video settings.

PC spec
    AMD A10-7800 APU with Radeon R7 Dual Graphics (this is a CPU and 2 GPUs on the same die)
    12 cores (4 cpu and 8 gpu)
    CPU 8GB RAM, DDR3 with 3.5GHz clock speed

Dual GPU (Radeon R7 Graphics + Radeon R7 M260). Graphics RAM 2GB (not great, I know)

1TB HDD hard drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I'm sorry bailey...I am no techy so will have to wait for other knowledgeable folks to comment on this...I have heard it before...Wait for comments...~S~

As I said before...You may need to drop your settings in 'Video' ingame...and check you have a gaming mode in your antivirus...You don't want anything running in the background when you are gaming...I have free AVAST and there's an option fro 'gaming mode' which seems to work ok...

Also try a game booster...They will help a little bit I hear...Thay do the same thing as the 'gaming mode' in AVAST...they just shut down all background programs which are using your limited PC resources...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jan-24-2018 at 08:08.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    58.16 MB

Thanks Lewis. I think its a problem with my AMD Dual Graphics and the program not using the beefy switchable half. I will put out a call to AMD (but not holding my breath). Cheers. Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I needed to find the time to re-address Trackhat...Today I did with some success...So this isn't far from default...I only tweaked the roll and set it to same as head movement which is what TrackIR is...and I set the X axis (side to side) and put the smallest deeadzone in I could

Still tweaking but this was pretty good...

27. Likes farley liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    58.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    I needed to find the time to re-address Trackhat...Today I did with some success...So this isn't far from default...I only tweaked the roll and set it to same as head movement which is what TrackIR is...and I set the X axis (side to side) and put the smallest deeadzone in I could

Still tweaking but this was pretty good...

Hi Lewis. Sorry if this is not the right thread but you were really helpful a while back and I am thinking of investing in a gaming PC now. I got TRACKHAT working fine on IL2 1946 but this game is very limited by the graphics (as is my current PC to deal with CLOD). Please can I ask you a bit of advice on new PC specs? I can see that you posted the following minimum and recommended specs.....

[I]
    • The current minimum recommended system (as suggested by Team Fusion Simulations) which will run the game fine at normal resolutions (upto 1920x1080) on a single monitor.
    • Core I5 3.2 ghz
    • NVidia GTX 960 2gb
    • 8 gb DDR3 RAM
    • 250 gb Solid State Hard Drive for game and system, backup 3tb SATA drive for storage
    • An optimum system would use a Core I7 Quad core 4.0 Ghz, a GTX 980 6Gb (or higher such as the 1060 upwards), and 16Gb DDR3 RAM. CLOD cannot use more than 4 cores.

• Unfortunately due to issues with the AMD cards some experience land texture tiles being visible and other graphical anomalies, so for CloD Team Fusion recommend Nvidia cards.

I am thinking of getting an Alienware Aurora with this spec:-

CPU: Intel Core i7K 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz across all cores) - even though CLOD only uses 4 cores
    RAM 16GB,DDR4,2666MHz (expandable up to 64MB)
    GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
    Hard Drives: 256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Would this hit all the requirements to get good quality and high fps?

Appreciate your help

Mark Bailey

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    58.16 MB

Bought myself a decent gaming rig at last so getting ready again. Maybe there is no fix to this and I cant have it both ways but here goes anyway...

When I turn my head (yaw or pitch), my viewpoint translates on the Z axis unless I am already centred on Z over the seat and default position. Really annoying when tracking a target and turning/looping. I can stop this annoying effect by ticking the Disable Z axis Compensation Option (Trackhat Opentrack) but what this then means is I have to move forward to increase my FOV when checking my 6. I just cant get used to this (moving forward to move back) in the heat of an engagement.
    Is there a fix for this in either Trackhat Opentrack or standard Opentrack (preferred)? Many thanks for any tips

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

I've been enjoying my TrackHat since I purchased it in February 2019. It took some getting used to and I definitely appreciated the videos to help set up the Open-track software. I too use the TrackHat clip that mounts to the side of my headphones. A couple of things I discovered is you have to watch out for back-lighting. One day while I was flying my wife turned the light on in the other room and because of the back-lighting it flipped everything upside down on my screen and basically rendered the device useless. Once the light was turned off everything returned to normal. Another thing I noticed was that I had to off-set the PS3 camera to one side of my monitor, to the side that my clip was mounted on my headphones. This allowed me to have a more balanced head turn. Before this shift it always seemed that my head could turn further one way than the other.

But my greatest claim for this product comes from my experience today. I logon to get in a quick flight on CLOD; I load up my TrackHat open-track software for my head-tracker, but no lights are visible. I turn it of and turn it back on several times with no change. I take a look at my TrackHat clip and see a very small puff of smoke and then receive a message on my computer informing there was a USB surge from an unknown USB device. I see the cable has nearly detached so I open up the clip to see if I can re-wire it. What I discover is 2 wire leads in the clip and 5 wires in the USB cable. I have no idea how to re-wire it.

I contacted TrackHat to see if they could help, and James, the owner of the company, was disappointed that his product failed, so he has sent me a new one. In this day and age, I would have to say that is beyond incredible service (as mentioned above, I bought my device in February 2019, but that didn't seem to matter to him). So, the good news is, my device is on the way, the bad news is I'll be out of service until it arrives. So, my recommendation is, if anyone is considering a head-tracker device, they should seriously consider TrackHat: it's affordable, it's reliable, and if it fails, they have incredible customer service!

See y'all soon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12