Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DCS Just gave CLoD A Gift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    660.92 MB

Re: DCS Just gave CLoD A Gift.

First of all you would need a WWII aircraft module, so far there are the P-51D, Bf 109 K-4, FW 190 D-9 and Spitfire LF IXc. Some time in the future ED will release the P-47 and the Me 262. The P-51D is currently a PTO 30NA but ED has announced to release an ETO Mustang as free addon to the P-51 module at some point in time. The flight model is very good and you will need some time to figure out the advanced systems model in the beginning. The cockpits are beautiful 4K resolution, plus fully clickable and internal aircraft systems such as hydraulics pressure, fuel flow and electrical systems are modeled in almost full detail. The damage model is currently a bit of a bad joke as it is based around modern fighter combat, where one missile usually is a death sentence anyway. But the good news is, that the same guy who did the CloD damage model is doing a new DM for DCS WWII planes now. As far as I know some planes eg the Spitfire have the new DM already completed, but ED will release the new DM for all WWII planes simultaneously.

These modules cost at standard rates between 30$ (P-51D) and 50$ (the rest). It is advisable to buy them in one of their sales though. I bought the 109 and 190 for 12.50$ each and the P-51 for 9$ some years ago, but nowadays the discount usually doesnt go beyond 50%. With these modules you can join an online server playing on the free modern day Caucasus map, which currently gets a revamp to v 2.0. If you scroll down in the following newsletter you can see a few comparison pics between old & new WIP. (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...6&postcount=44)

In the next two months there will be a new map released, the WWII Normandy 44/45 map. Scrolling through this thread you can view most of the pictures released until now. (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181331) This map will cost 45$ standalone and bundled with a WWII assets pack 60$ and the bundle is currently on pre release sale for 48$. The seperate assets pack caused a large uproar in the community and I personally think its a bad decision as well, but it was justified with modern day virtual pilots not being interested in the WWII assets and thus keeping the standalone map cheaper for them. Well, it is what it is. The assets pack includes WWII era tanks, flak, trains, cars, ships and aircraft (such as a beautiful AI B-17G) and is 30$ standalone. The tanks will supposedly be drivable in the future via the Combined Arms (CA) module which I bought for 8$ in a sale recently.

Another thing to note is that the Caucasus and the new maps (Nevada & Normandy) are running on different versions currently: stable 1.5 and alpha 2.0 respectively. This is quite a mess in all honesty and the unification of these is scheduled with the Caucasus 2.0 release sometime late 2017. Nevada (alpha 2.0) has a very beautiful new lighting engine which employs physically based rendering (PBR), but is somewhat of a test bed atm. Just this month many modules were completely broken due to the introduction of a new "malwareforce" (starforce) protection system, which was reverted coincidentally yesterday. Also some of the on release initially beautiful high res textures and meshes have been bugged for several months now. I really hope ED learned from this experience and the Normandy map (also alpha 2.0) will not fare the same fate.

So in conclusion DCS may cost you quite a bit depending on what aircraft you want to fly and if you want the new Normandy WWII map. It will also be quite a bit more affordable if you wait patiently for one of the occasional sales. Furthermore the alpha branch (v 2.0) on which the Normandy WWII map will be released soon, has had some game breaking bugs in the recent past. On the other hand you can try out DCS for free initially, also online with friends. The TF-51D, an unarmed two seat P-51D with the same professional flight model and system model, can be flown for free on the Caucasus map and this way you can check if you enjoy DCS. Here is the download link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c.../world/stable/ I highly recommend trying out the free TF-51D first.

Salute
    Last edited by rel4y; Mar-29-2017 at 04:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

That's a great DCS WW2 summary, Rel4y.

I completely agree with your last sentence: download the free DCS World which comes with the T51D. See how it plays on your PC, and if you actually enjoy flying the detailed model. In this day and age, $40 -$50 is very reasonable for a study-level simulation of a WW2 fighter. Try going to the neighbourhood pub and buy a round of beer for friends at the table -- add on the tip, too! LOL (Buying beer in pubs is what I'm good at. )

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

3. Likes TURK_Enlem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Rel4y, thank you for this excellent summary.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Rie4dy, Many thanks for the long detailed reply.I think I'll save my pennies & just wait on the big patch here & the upcoming planes in Battle of Kuban coming up over in that growing franchise.The Normandy maps is tempting but comes with the limits to which you refer & a steep learning curve. Can I infer that the Normandy map may someday be imported for CloD? If so I'd certainly pay for it & and a few Intruder &/or Rubarb missions that might go with it....Of course I have to keep an eye on my spending as my PC will require a tune up & oil change & optional extra VR fitting in the near future...
    Last edited by Blitzen; Mar-29-2017 at 20:35.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

7. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Watched a vid last night in regards Normandy 1944.

No offence to the DCS team, but the map area is small compared to CLOD (i personally think that is too small as well).

Guy was answering a set list of questions as he flew the map.

If you want to fly this or that aircraft you have to pay for it.

This feature will or might be coming in the future.

Sorry guys but too many if's or but's and maybe's for me.

I had my fill of DLC running the DTG series of train sims for the last 9 years.

Not having unlimited funds, it's a no go for me.

DCS looks lovely and the free P51D is easy and a pleasure to fly.

But way above my pay grade.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    660.92 MB

This feature will or might be coming in the future.

Sorry guys but too many if's or but's and maybe's for me.
    That is one of the main gripes I have with DCS. I have yet to see them release a feature complete module.. There is always stuff missing and instead of focusing on the completion of one thing, they just throw out another module which is also missing advertised functions & features. But I have to say the price tag is more than fair if you get it on sale imho. If I compare what I paid and what I get for my DCS modules to what I paid & get for a BoX premium plane.. well not really worth comparing tbh. I bought the BoS FW190 on sale for 10$ and while it has gotten better with one of the last patches it is not worth comparing it to the Mustang I got for 9$ or the FW 190 for 12.50$.

Buuut all said, in terms of bang for your buck and multiplayer experience TF CloD is king imo.

10. Likes Hurricane, ATAG_Snapper, 1lokos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I do not see myself flying WW2 in DCS anytime soon, and if you are not in a hurry, you can wait until they make a bundle of it, sale is a frequent thing going on there.

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Nothing beats IL-2 Cliffs of Dover/Sands of Tobruk? in my book

14. Likes LuseKofte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Well I will be flying Beufighters and Wellingtons in Africa long before my Dora over Normandy methink

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    That's a great DCS WW2 summary, Rel4y.

I completely agree with your last sentence: download the free DCS World which comes with the T51D. See how it plays on your PC, and if you actually enjoy flying the detailed model. In this day and age, $40 -$50 is very reasonable for a study-level simulation of a WW2 fighter. Try going to the neighbourhood pub and buy a round of beer for friends at the table -- add on the tip, too! LOL (Buying beer in pubs is what I'm good at. )

How is your tipping or is it tipsling?

Throw into the summary above the Beta version which has different flight models and other stuff that the release version does not have and that means there are three versions to manage. I ditched the release version and run with only the Beta and Alpha version of which - only the Beta version is really functional at this moment. Who knows tomorrow when another bug is introduced either by DCS or the third party RAZBAM in my case screw up - AGAIN.

Cats . . .

ps. Fired up the DCS Spit a couple of days back and I can't fly anymore - gotta be re-trained and checked out again.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

17. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

$50 AUD per airplane, $50 AUD for the map.
    So, let's pretend we want a basic line-up of aircraft to dogfight in...109, FW190, Spitfire. Not exactly a vast choice by any means.
    I get a nice total of $200. For three flyable digital aircraft and a single map?

So what would it cost to get the comparable amount of content delivered by CloD?
    Well lets compress the individual variants of aircraft into the following:
    Spitfire MK1 and 2, Messerschmitt 109 E-1, Messerschmitt 109 E-3/4, Messerschmitt Bf 110C, Hurricane MK1, Beaufort, Junkers Ju 87B.
    And the english channel map.
    That's a grand minimum total of $400 AUD.
    $400. Seriously.

And our flight models and damage models work outstandingly well.

So make of that what you will.

EDIT: Just to clarify, in case there are any DCS devs reading this:
    I of course mean no disrespect, nor do I mean to discredit your fantastic work as from what I've seen the amount of detail put into your sim is amazing. My point is that for the general consumer, a hefty price tag per unit is just so difficult to justify. But of course a hardcore flightsim buff will put a different percieved value on a digital product and waste no time in spending so it really comes down to what market the sim is aimed at!
    Last edited by CharlesLV; Apr-03-2017 at 00:14.

~S
    Charley

19. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

I will stick with the £9.99 that CLOD cost me.

No offence meant, but some people have more disposable income than others.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

21. Likes Pans, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I will stick with the £9.99 that CLOD cost me.

No offence meant, but some people have more disposable income than others.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    I totally understand that many people don't have disposable incomes, but if people spend the thousand necessary for the system required to run a combat flight sim, and only spend a few pounds for the software, I can't image a quicker way to kill the combat flight sim genre.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

In case anyone forgets, you can try out DCSW and the TF-51D for free. If you don't like it you don't like it, but the only reason not to test it out would be if you have limited download or bandwidth.

For me the force-feedback in DCS is the clincher. CLOD is very nice, but the ffb has never worked well, and is just downright buggy sometimes. I'm hoping the 5.0 patch helps.

As for the price, one DCS module is its own study sim. If working the aircraft exactly as it is done in the real thing is how you want to spend your flight sim time, then you fly DCS modules.
    Last edited by gavagai; Apr-05-2017 at 21:33.

24. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I own the planes and the map is well within the price I am willing to pay, also the extra thingy. I am not that upset about the price. If there is foing to be campaigns for this offline I will buy it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12