Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for the English and Europeans here

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Question for the English and Europeans here

And then of course, there's the Thames Estuary and the Richard Montgomery......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery
    Intel I9 9900K at 5.0 Ghz. Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra Motherboard. 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM. EVGA G3 PSU. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC. Thermaltake flo riing360 water cooler. 1TB Corsair M.2 NVMe boot drive. I TB Seagate hybrid mass storage drive. HP Reverb. TM Warthog HOTAS. MFG Crosswind pedals.

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Pans View Post
    The Temptations clearly never got to play Cliffs of Dover!
    Edwin Starr actually, I think he released the first version, that's the one that they usually play on the radio.
    Great song, great sentiment.
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Bit late to this topic, but the lost mines on the Messine battlefield from WW1 have always fascinated me, particularly when I learnt that one of them actually detonated after a lightning strike in the 50s.

There are still 6 of them deep underground, one contains 50 000lb of explosives, it would be quite a bang!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/simonjo...-messines/amp/

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-0...bombs/10068020

As someone who used to work in this field its a pet hate to see people use ordinance rather than ordnance. Council rules dont typically blow up.

Ezzie

6. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    Just read an article about an unexploded WW2 bomb buried at a building site in England. Do the governments over there regulate building sites and builders and force them to check for this sort of thing somehow before building/digging? If so what do they do/use.

Just curious. Some sites in the US are checked for archeological and historical. stuff but only if it is a known area to have uncovered things before. I figure you guys do.... wouldn't want the excavator to hit unexploded ordnance. Bombs aren't an issue here so I got curious after reading about it.
    This was a planed detonation of a wwII bomb in Munich and a komplete failure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwjmf5wwLL0
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8351&dateline=1426991  687

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

What happened?

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

it couldn't be safely defused due to the state of the chemi time delay detonator so it was packed with explosive and damped with straw bales and sandbags. Some of the straw, sparks and debris set nearby building fires that were quickly brought under control by the fire services causing only relatively minor damage.

The detonation was as controlled as could be. No one was injured.

Not sure what checks are made in the UK (Highseas will) but I know that there are good many building erected in the 60s and 70s that NEED a bomb under them.
    Last edited by BOO; Aug-07-2018 at 02:34.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

10. Likes pitt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.84 MB

Grew up in a village close to a WWll German ammo dump on the eastern front. We would find small square pellets, which I know now was propellant, cartridges, mortar rounds and sometimes large artilery projectiles. Most of the time, we didn't had to excavate theese. They would stick out of the ground after a downpoor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Earlier in this thread I posted a link to the map showing locations where unexploded bombs have already been removed from the ground in the city of Rotterdam and the rest of The Netherlands.

Now last Thursday the Rotterdam city authorities made available to the public for the first time ever, a map showing known locations and suspicious areas for unexploded explosives from the Second World War that are still in the ground.

https://www.rotterdam.nl/wonen-leven/bommenkaart/

Its been 80 years since the bombings and not one of these old munitions ever went off unexpectedly. Not even once.

All building plans since then have been checked for such hazards as a matter of course.

So it is not at all obvious why the local TV public broadcast organization would find it appropriate to start making a weekly series of videos about the issue now.

In the first of the series published on internet today and broadcast over the TV cable, "Blind passers: The new bomb map of Rotterdam", they ask "What is the story behind all the bombs that are still buried in Rotterdam?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4e_NzDntdk

Lest we forget...? At least I know now, the closest 'suspicious area' is at least 161m from my house!

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

13. Likes Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    Earlier in this thread I posted a link to the map showing locations where unexploded bombs have already been removed from the ground in the city of Rotterdam and the rest of The Netherlands.

Now last Thursday the Rotterdam city authorities made available to the public for the first time ever, a map showing known locations and suspicious areas for unexploded explosives from the Second World War that are still in the ground.

https://www.rotterdam.nl/wonen-leven/bommenkaart/

Its been 80 years since the bombings and not one of these old munitions ever went off unexpectedly. Not even once.

All building plans since then have been checked for such hazards as a matter of course.

So it is not at all obvious why the local TV public broadcast organization would find it appropriate to start making a weekly series of videos about the issue now.

In the first of the series published on internet today and broadcast over the TV cable, "Blind passers: The new bomb map of Rotterdam", they ask "What is the story behind all the bombs that are still buried in Rotterdam?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4e_NzDntdk

Lest we forget...? At least I know now, the closest 'suspicious area' is at least 161m from my house!
    Fear of the unknown is a useful tool for media to keep you tuned in.

They do that with extreme weather, too.

15. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

This is due to people who like me forgot to arm their bombs before dropping them...

Is it known whether these are mainly German bombs or Allied bombs? I believe Rotterdam was bombed by both sides during the war.

One explanation for this being aired now could be an attempt by the authorities to wave any responsibility. Should something unfortunate happen one day they don't risk to be blamed for not having raised the flag. This is called "Risk Management"...

But DRock's explanation is probably more to the point.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Something topical that reminds us it's not just bombs. Quite an alarming number of the mines from ww2 coastal barrages are unaccounted for, too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-en...shire-48327618

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Noofy View Post
    Is it known whether these are mainly German bombs or Allied bombs? I believe Rotterdam was bombed by both sides during the war.
    Allied. The Germans bombed the city center once in a single big blitz which triggered the capitulation of the Dutch armed forces.

Allied bombings (more than a hundred raids) were often random and haphazard, bombing housing areas rather than industry etc, and killed as many people as the Luftwaffe.

19. Likes ATAG_Noofy, Stormrider, ATAG_Scones liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12