Thread: Bare Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Bare Map

Hi guys can i ask without causing offence. Why is the map used in CLOD, completely bare to the North & West of London ?

There was more to the BoB than just the SE of England.

Fully understand the actual size limitations on the area of the map.

But shouldn't what is over flyable (is that even a word)

Be detailed for the sake of completeness. I guess the online maps used for MP are not editable

I only ask because i used to do a fair bit of route building in the train sims and scenario creation.

I hope i haven't upset anyone in asking.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Bare Map

Are you sure you are not flying off the built versions of the map and into the auto-extension?

The game will continue to repeat the last tile basically forever... so the map just doesn't end in blank space and so when someone is flying over the built sections, they don't see a black end of the world if they look in that direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Hi Buzzsaw,

flew west from the Thames Estuary across London and kept going on a heading that should have taken me across Slough, Reading, Swindon etc.

But there were just fields with boundary markings, but a complete absence of buildings.

Haven't even opened the Map\Mission editor yet, but i will try and have a look in there once i know how to use it.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Just opened the Channel Summer map in the Builder.

Buildings present at all the major conurbations flying west from London.

I must have drifted slightly south of the line West Drayton, Slough, Reading where there is plenty of rural landscape.

I must apologise for my error and will give myself 50 lashes with the cat.

What image is used as the base for the maps, is it Google Earth buddy ?

Best regards,
    Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Yes, some of those airfields do not have buildings... but they can be added by anyone, (including yourself) who wants to by using the Mission Builder. Some areas of France also have no buildings on the fields.

There are a number of people in the community who have built missions with their own updated airfields with extra buildings, vehicles, etc. over the map... both of English areas and also France.

The absence of buildings is a function of the original game... and it is also a function of the fact the more buildings etc. which are placed, the more frame rates are affected. Typically a mission builder will only place buildings where there is going to be action.

If you wanted to populate the entire map with buildings etc... it would not be flyable as a multiplayer mission.... same as if you added hundreds of AI aircraft flights.

There is a limit to what a home PC can handle... even in a game which has as good a netcode as CoD.

If you want to build your own single player mission with hundreds of objects/buildings/etc. and fly it as a single player, then you may enjoy that. Mission building is a lot of fun, although it does require learning the techniques, just like flying the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Hi Buzzsaw,

flew west from the Thames Estuary across London and kept going on a heading that should have taken me across Slough, Reading, Swindon etc.

But there were just fields with boundary markings, but a complete absence of buildings.

Haven't even opened the Map\Mission editor yet, but i will try and have a look in there once i know how to use it.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Mar-20-2017 at 18:59.

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Yup i understand the requirement to limit over populating the map.

It is the same in route building in the train sims.

But mission creation is something i might have a look at further.

Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Hi there - the question I have is related to this thread so I didn't see the need in creating a new thread, hope this is all ok to post it here?

I've just come back to CoD and updated the game to the latest version and am getting back into mission building (It's addictive when ones creativeness makes itself know!) and the problem I'm having is large parts of the map in Northern France appear bare. The most notable places are Cherbourg and Dunkerque, however in the FMB these places appear populated with buildings. For instance, in the FMB I could see that Cherbourg port was populated with buildings, but when I entered the mission Cherbourg appeared completely bare.

Is there a fix to this or is this a known issue?

Many thanks in advance.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Welcome, can you post a screen shot so we can see if the issue is graphical or if its an overpopulation issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Here's a screenshot of what I see when I enter a mission with only one object placed being this ship. It also happened when I had a mission with around 30 or so objects placed and while getting this screenshot I've also noticed the same thing is happening in other areas of the map further south.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

System specs?

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Susime View Post
    Here's a screenshot of what I see when I enter a mission with only one object placed being this ship. It also happened when I had a mission with around 30 or so objects placed and while getting this screenshot I've also noticed the same thing is happening in other areas of the map further south.
    Its game optimization, if there is no airplanes in area no buildings will show up, no need to have buildings in area where no one flys at that moment, AI or human.

Same as this:
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post270149

You are probably looking at that city when there is no AI or human airplanes flying in area, place one airplane to flyover it, and buildings should show up, if thats the problem.

Just tested it in FMB and if you dont wont to have airplanes over that area and still wont to see buildings in mission, place one Vehicle object with min of two waypoints, and buildings also show up like there is airplane flying in area during mission play.
    Last edited by Akula93; Jul-01-2017 at 05:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Akula93 View Post
    Its game optimization, if there is no airplanes in area no buildings will show up, no need to have buildings in area where no one flys at that moment, AI or human.

Same as this:
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post270149

You are probably looking at that city when there is no AI or human airplanes flying in area, place one airplane to flyover it, and buildings should show up, if thats the problem.

Just tested it in FMB and if you dont wont to have airplanes over that area and still wont to see buildings in mission, place one Vehicle object with min of two waypoints, and buildings also show up like there is airplane flying in area during mission play.
    Just tried what you suggested and it's worked a treat!

Many Thanks

I was not aware the sim had optimisation features built in it's codes. Annoying but I suppose it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    System specs?
    My system specs I've added in my sig. I can run the sim on highest settings with a decent and stable frame rate so I didn't even consider it could be down to the specs and didn't even think ahead about adding my system specs, which would have helped in the problem solving, so I do apologise for that blunder there.
    Win 7 Home Premium 64, WD Blue 500GB SSD, i7 2600K 3.40GHz, P8Z68-V PRO, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte 7970 3GB, Corsair 1000w PSU

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

No worries, Akula nailed it.