Thread: first encounter - adrenaline shot

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.0 KB

first encounter - adrenaline shot

Hello everyone, a new player's first report here to everybody's satisfaction

I'm not very good at telling stories, hope this one is not too boring.

A little of background... Bought my first joystick when I started to play battlefield 1942, and the image I have that made me want to fly a plane in that game was of a spitfire diving on a player's tank dropping a bomb right in the ceiling, a huge blast and the plane disappeared to the sky again, I just tought that was surreal, like it came out of a war movie and so I wanted to do the same , and so I did, I bought a Microsoft Sidewinder and started flying in the game, went to a level where I could drop one bomb right in those pesky tanks and blast them to pieces. This was a game a not a sim, but it was very fun none the less.
    Fast forward to a few years back and I don't remember how, but I got to know il2 1946, bought it and went for a spin, I wanted to do some dog fights like the old times. What a surprise, this was much harder than battlefield 1942, and so I went on a journey to learn the game and most of it's intricacies, some good hours spent trying to do missions, dogfighting was a mess, I would always end up with an enemy in my tail, no matter what I did. So I started to read on dogfights and aerial battles and energy, even printed one manual that i downloaded somewhere with lots of info about combat flight sims and read it in my school vacations but it was very (and still is a bit) confusing, but i learned the basics of flying and reading/using instruments. I used to fly mostly bf109s because I liked the boom and zoom style, even tough I would always get up caught. It was a bit frustrating not getting the grasps of what Energy was and how to dogfight, I would try to manoeuvre very slowly to not waste my energy, but that didn't get me any kills. Next up i built a freetrack hat with a one point tracking, and i was much happier i could move my head and translate it to in-game, awesome, but a bit confusing at first and not the smoothest, my laptop screen was not very big so it was difficult to look behind and keep the eyes on the screen. This was when I tried hypperlobby and went online a couple of times, only to get clubbed down and frustrated. So I decided that I would try a sim again when I bought a Occulus rift or something that would allow me to move my head freely.

Tried War Thunder but didn't get used to it, i liked the mouse and keyboard movement as it was easy to control a plane a look around, but in the harder modes i couldn't use them and in the arcade mode planes made movements that I deemed shouldn't be possible from my perspective and previous experiences with il2, even tried harder modes with joystick but the looking around was still very hard, and again i postponed my sim flying to when i had an Occulus rift or something.

Jump to a few weeks back and I recently bought a new pc, a desktop that can I can use to play all my games without problems (my laptop was overheating), and one of my first instalments was il2 1946 to try with max settings and what not, got my old sidewinder (1, no ff) and flew a bit in quick missions. Then started to look for TrackIR and head tracking solutions, TrackIR was still a bit expensive for me, then i found EDTracker, no camera needed and no light problems, decided to get the PRO version, it arrived last week or so and my impression was.. OMG this thing is GREAT, little config and so smooth and responsive, I was in love . Immediately jumped to the last version on il2 1946 and loved it.

Ok time to buy the next il2 because now my desktop can run it! Clod came out near the time that i last played il2 and so i decided to give it a try. Got the game for 10€ and downloaded all the Team Fusion patches.

Wow! Such nice graphics and interfaces and lots of new stuff to get acquainted. Did the RAF campaign to get the grasp of how to fly again, full realism except for the plane icons, loved the little bit of character development and finished the campaign.

By this time I was already reading the ATAG forums and learning/searching for info about flying, and waiting to get 'good' to try online again. Then i read a post about a guy going online and captivating people to not waste too much time on single player and give multiplayer a try, and so I did, but first i couldn't resist to do one or two mission full realism just to have an idea of how to spot planes and to my surprise it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be, not easy neither lol.

So there i went to the TeamSpeak server, just got in and said 'hi', most of the players greeted back and continued to chat about enemy positions or enemies in someone's tail.

Decided to fly RAF as it was what i was used to from the campaign. On my first sortie i was shot down while looking in the manuals for the 'correct' or 'good' rpm for the spit, never saw what hit me(maybe my engine just exploded when i wasn't looking, but i don't think so) and i was able to get back to land. Even though i was shot down so quickly, some 5-7 mins in to the flight, i enjoyed being able to get that plane back to the ground and that reminded me to keep my eyes open and check the engine info in the wiki for my current plane prior to takeoff. On the second sortie i decided to remain over land, climb to around 10k and go from there, so i spent some 10-15 min climbing and then cruising around looking for enemies or something to appear on my sight. At a moment there was a fight going down below near an airfiled and i decided to circle it and try to figure out who is who and if any of ours if having trouble and needed help, I try not to rush too much because i always end up in an enemy's sight, so there i was circling and checked my six only to see a 109 coming in my direction, holy shit i thought, i'm done for, let him get close and them use my turn rate to avoid the shots, and so i did, and manage to avoid his first pass, then we both got around and now it seemed we were stuck in head on attacks, all this time i had someone on TS helping me telling me where he was and when to 'brake', I was still watching him and trying to out maneuver him and for a moment i had the upper hand, at least the guy on TS told so, that he wasted his advantage, but then i collided in a head on pass, my wing went to shreds and i had to bail, but i wasn't even mad, i was happy that i could identify the threat in time and respond accordingly, the thing is my adrenaline levels just EXPLODED, my heart was beating so loud when i was strafing and trying to get the upper hand that i even noticed it mid-fight, i can only imagine the adrenaline levels on real pilots fighting their way out/in, it was AWESOME! I loved it, and loved the fact that my pacience and acceptance of defeat/looking at my flaws seems to be way higher now.

I'm not good at keeping the damn plane stable, flying in formation, knowing when to throttle down in a dive to keep maximum speed, trimming my elevator effectively, keeping the enemy off my tail, how much the radiator needs to be open/closed, judging the enemy's energy, judging my own energy, but i can take-off, land and fly a plane, and all the rest is coming slowly, but coming... and i guess everyone had to get through this phase, the books can't teach me all, I NEED to fly and be in the situations i read about to finally understand them and how this whole thing works.

I have made more sorties and enjoyed them, and enjoying them i think is a crucial aspect for me to be motivated, i got shot down without ever seeing my enemy, i got chased to the ground even after my engine was broken and my pilot was wounded, i forgot to open my radiator blowing up my engine on the take-off at least three times,i got shot and a friendly helped me to get the enemy off my tail, i got over zealous and got an engine broken by an enemy bomber gunner (but i got him down too) and i got a couple of shots on enemy planes (not sure if they went down or not), tried to help friendlies and landed many times with problems on my plane.

My mistake as a beginner was thinking it was going to be easy to get (at least) some planes down, i was wrong and got frustrated when i saw i wasn't capable, so i changed my objective to be a bit more "realistic" and it is to take-off, try to fulfill the objective or help friendlies in completing the objective/getting out of tight situations, even if i can only scare them off, i feel like i'm helping, and then return to base and land, not just thinking my plane is a waste bin that i just discard when not fully working, now i always try to get back home as safe as possible.

I got the game last week, this was just the first week, looking forward to new sky adventures with everyone!

PS: a bit of a long and probably messy post, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Re: first encounter - adrenaline shot

What an absolutely brilliant, exciting and inspiring first post from a new player who doesn't think it is...I thought it was a great read...For many of us here we have forgotten those first days of flying....The adrenaline is still there but it is a lot less as you get more experience and game time...It also seems that you have the right mind for CLOD too...Small goals can be achieved and its good to take it one step at a time...It took me a couple weeks to get my first kill and that was in the beginning of this sim when there weren't as many vets as there are today..

Great to here you are on TS...and that you have EdTracker...and that you built a headtracker too...We always like to read about DIY headtracking and joystick stuff that folks are able to make....

I have a couple things to say before I go into my usual 'welcome post' speil...First is your joystick....You have the MS Sidewinder (not the 2)...Thats important as you will need rudder and I don't believe the Sidewinder 1 has twist rudder...I would recommend getting the Sidewinder 2 as I have...You do not need the FFB version as that can be expensive these days...the standard Microsoft Sidewinder 2 is just as competitive...and is the most value for buck you can get as far as Joysticks go...Ebay often has then for 10 euros...

The other thing is your CEM (Complex Engine Management) during flights...For many of the new players constantly checking engine temps and adjusting them mid-flight is hard work and is just not necessary if you have aircraft setup conservatively...I have a setup that will give you the ability to forget your engine and dash once you are airborne in the ATAG Full Real server and so concentrate on your SA (situation awareness) and dogfighting skills and tactics...Not only that but this setup is highly competitive...and I know that because I still use it today even after all the hours I have in CLOD...So here it is...

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Keep those stories coming Wolfie I disagree that you are not an entertaining writer and I can see many reads coming from you in the future...~S~

...Lew...

Welcome to the Community and Forums Wolf.PT ...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve too...

Beginners Guide

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums you might want to bag for future reference...

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact spotting is massively important in any flight sim...Seeing that enemy before he sees you is a race you don't want to be second in...Check this link to see if you can tweak your rig any better...

Contact Spotting Test

Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

A must read for all CLOD enthusiasts is the recent news that has the whole community buzzing very heavily...

TeamFusion News

And finally...Please take the time to have a read of some of the stories of military family adventures by a few of the members of this forum...and maybe share yours with us...~S~

A Tribute to Those Who Served

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

===================================

Any UK members please let us know where abouts in the UK you are...Just for reference...Its always good to know just incase there happen to be folks who can help you or you can help locally...buy a joystick from or even just a chat in a pub with someone who is likeminded...

UK Based Player Location thread

Thanks...~S~
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-27-2017 at 11:54.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

3. Likes Wolf.PT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

No matter how long you play this game you will always forget to open something, shoot the wrong aircraft and screw up during a dogfight but always remember this is not life or death just a whole lot of fun.

5. Likes ATAG_Highseas, Wolf.PT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

YEAH BABY!

Man!

Great read!...... its truly something this sim.... so great to see it reinforced like that.

Welcome to Cliffs!

I salute you sir!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

7. Likes Wolf.PT liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

A nice read Wolf and please maintain the enthusiasm level as the learning curve is steep, but so worth it.

It is a good time to find CloD as many good things are happening and due to happen courtesy of Team Fusion simulations.

So welcome to the sim and the best online community you could find. Remember its all about the.........FUN!

o7
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

9. Likes Hurricane, Wolf.PT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ohms View Post
    No matter how long you play this game you will always forget to open something, shoot the wrong aircraft and screw up during a dogfight but always remember this is not life or death just a whole lot of fun.

What Ohms said + 5.0

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

11. Likes Wolf.PT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.0 KB

You guys truly are a welcoming bunch and this attitude of yours is much appreciated

I'm glad you liked the story, Lew your welcoming posts are always thoughtful and inspiring/welcoming and that is one of the reasons I decided to write this "little" start post, keep up the good work

I think I might have the sidewinder 2 since I have the rudder twist, but this old bastard joystick has some dead zones and so I'm thinking of buying the T16000m one of these days, still deciding if I'm going to a HOTAS setup or just the joystick and keyboard as I'm currently using.

As for CEM, I've probably read another post where you mentioned that config because that's what I've been using/getting used to.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and hope to fly with you soon! ~S~

PS: gotta try the blog feature to write some more sorties and see if I can improve my writing :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Very nice Post and AAR

Welcome to Clod and the ATAG forums. Its rather good here i think you will like it

I always enjoy reading posts like this from players new to the game - I remember what a fantastic thing it is to discover this sim.

Dont worry that its hard - its suppoised to be we all went through it when starting out, but you are already doing it right - you are on Team speak and listening / cooperating. Everything flows from there.

Enjoy the ride and good luck

S!

14. Likes Wolf.PT, ATAG_Highseas, ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Which stick is it you have?

1)

2)

3)

The last one is the one that has twist rudder...that's the one I use (albeit the FFB version)....Its very distinctive in that it has 4 holes through the right hand side of the base which the others don't have...I don't think the first two do have twist either...The other thing is I have never heard of the Sidewinder 2 having dead zones...I can't imagine how that would happen?...I have a number of these sticks and all bought on eBay...none of which have deadzones...unless your stick has masses of use and I mean masses of daily use (I have a couple buddies that flew with these sticks for around 9 years with no deadzone issues) I can't see how they would have that issue...Whats the history of the stick?
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-27-2017 at 21:25.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

16. Likes Wolf.PT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.0 KB

It is the third one, with no ff, maybe deadzone is not the right word, it has a bit of slack? It is a bit loose about the first 4 to 10 degrees to the right and some 5 degrees south, what this means is that if i let go of the stick it will not center entirely

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hi there Wolf, and welcome to the community.

I really enjoyed your write up of how you got into flight sims and your first experiences of flying Cliffs of Dover online.

This sim has a very steep learning curve, but having experience of earlier sims is a huge advantage to anyone making the transition to Cliffs.

It seems like you are getting stuck in, and getting the hang of this already, and most importantly of all, you are having fun.

Long may that continue. Hope to see you in the virtual skies soon

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

19. Likes Wolf.PT liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Welcome Wolf! Glad you are enjoying this, it is an amazing game with an amazing community.
    Again, what Ohms said +10
    I've got around 1100 hours logged on Steam in this (could've learned a couple of foreign languages or read 50 average sized books give or take, not regretting a second of it lol) and trust me there are some folks with way more.
    Well whaddaya know, still forget to open the rads sometimes to my greatest frustration. We in 9./JG52 are now getting used to saying on TS "check rads" or "rads open" right after take off.

When you fly blue this rads problem is even worse since there are twice as many rads to think about...

Last edited by 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox; Mar-29-2017 at 01:25. Reason: Typos

21. Likes Wolf.PT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Welcome wulf.. (Hitler had alwais this name incognito

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Ships all my text is gone...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk