Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Headtracker...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

DIY Headtracker...

Had a PS3 eye I bought a couple years ago with the idea of playing with a DIY headtracker...Yesterday I spent some time getting it working and flew for a few hours with it...I have to say I was really impressed with the smoothness and how it worked...It was just as good as a TrackIR in terms of how it worked ingame...Still need to tweak it a bit in the mapping and that is my only gripe...Where as TrackIR pretty much works straight out of the box you need to mess about with mapping and stuff to get this sweet...but on the whole as I say I was very impressed...

I used the TrackIR Pro Clip that I had when I first got my TrackIR...3 led Infra Red lights on a gizmo that attaches to the headset...I am going to work on a DIY 3 led clip independently just to see how hard it is to get to work...

Looking at TrackIR prices recently in the UK I was surprised to see them lowest price £154...That was a shock...Seeing as the PS3 Eye can be bought for £5 I want to see how cheap I can make this for...

Is it best to make a clip or a 3 led cap with peak?

I want to make a battery version and wondered how long the batteries will work for?...No good if they only power 3 leds for and hour

The PS3 Eye that I bought a couple years ago is pretty good...It helps to see everything...everything apart from Mindle apparently!...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

2. Likes No.119_Viper (VK-S), PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Re: DIY Headtracker...

Lewis, I run a similar setup to what you've described. My first attempt was powered from a battery pack and it seemed to eat through 2xAA batteries rather quickly. You'll get more than an hour but 2 or 3 will be your tops.
    If you're set on using a battery pack you'll probably want 9v, but in all honesty I'd recommend just powering it from a USB port.

Again from my experience, a cap model is easy to make because you can more or less tape or glue your IR emitters to a baseball cap, but it's an absolute pain in the ass to get an accurate model to put into opentrack.
    I found clip-type models are easier to construct accurately and seem to give more reliable results. YMMV depending on how good you are with electronics and how well you make your model., but another plus for the clip-type is that they are considerably less obstructive of your view when playing; the peak of a baseball cap can get in the way and either block your view or mask your IR emitters depending on how far away your camera is while you play.

In the end I bought one off the 'bay because I got fed up of constantly having to adjust my emitters: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-Track...oAAOSwa~BYTJko
    Last edited by Pans; Apr-01-2017 at 20:16.

4. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

My theory is that the farther apart the emitters are the more accurate the tracking will be.

I built this many years ago. Little plastic tubes zip tied to the headset, wires run through the tubes, LED's at the end. USB powered. The pic was taken when I replaced the ear pads.
    Started off with cheap camera of 15fps, now using the PS3.
    Still works flawlessly.

6. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I used the Trackhat software here...https://www.trackhat.org/?gclid=Cj0K...emIaAgK28P8HAQ

It seems pretty good...I never liked the FreeTrack with the skull...it looks a bit cheap (and its free...how ironic...lol)...

@Panser....What is that 'superclip' like?...Quality?...Robust?...How is it made, 3D printer?....I thought about buying one...But now I would get the USB version...Its £20...With the PS3 Eye at £5...that's £25 for headtracker...Not bad compared to £154 for TrackIR...

Also...Do you have a settings file so I can run your settings?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey Lewis, I'm glad that someone that is using TrackIR is willing to experiment and compare it to freetracking alternatives. Like you said advantage of TrackIR is easier setup and that is because its camera is already set for tracking some IR dots.
    TrackIR had advantage over 'free' solutions when we were running a single core CPUs, it has its own processing unit but nowadays when most of us are running quads that became irrelevant.

If you're going to buy some clip I would recommend Delan, for only one reason. It's made from metal and could be bent. If you look at your TrackIR clip these LEDs are not in line. That's very important. I wonder how none of those guys that are making these clips didn't take that in count. What I have noticed when I made my first clip, there was a loss of precision at some angle, when you're looking at a wing. Simply, a camera didn't 'see' a movement well at that angle.

I made another clip later, like Trackclip ( that one with reflective material) and found out that it gives more resolution in jaw, which is I think more important to have than in a pitch axis.

If you want to make your own clip any IR LEDs will do, those that don't have wide angle just need to be sanded down a bit to remove that plastic lens that is focusing light.
    They are usually running on 1.1 -1.4 V so basically you need a voltage of 4.x V. The best way to connect them is in a series circuit and a very important thing is to put a resistor in front to protect the LEDs. With that resistor you can also regulate a current so basically how bright the LEDs will shine. That current is in a range of tens of mA (10-50 mA usually).

9. Likes Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Hi Vran...Thanks for such a great post on this...~S~

I did realise about the centre led being out of line in the TrackIR Clip Pro...If you think about it the reflective hat clip is in a triangle too...albeit more of an equilateral one...The triangle shape of the 3 leds must add something to the way it works...in terms of the camera seeing a 3D shape to recognise...

What does this angle give you that the 'in-line' leds don't?...Have you tried both?...

I'll probably make an 'in-line' version to see why it is worse...

Strange thing is that all the led clips I have seen on the internet and eBay are all 'in-line' leds... Some of them are 3D printable ones that you can download for free...below

http://www.yeggi.com/q/head+tracking/

Still none of them are 'staggerd' led..All seem to be 'in-line' led....

Just need to find a local 3D printing guy....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    I used the Trackhat software here...https://www.trackhat.org/?gclid=Cj0K...emIaAgK28P8HAQ

It seems pretty good...I never liked the FreeTrack with the skull...it looks a bit cheap (and its free...how ironic...lol)...

@Panser....What is that 'superclip' like?...Quality?...Robust?...How is it made, 3D printer?....I thought about buying one...But now I would get the USB version...Its £20...With the PS3 Eye at £5...that's £25 for headtracker...Not bad compared to £154 for TrackIR...

Also...Do you have a settings file so I can run your settings?
    Even more ironically, I use FaceTrackNoIR with the point tracker plugin for my IR setup! It is actually quite a well made product. I hadn't actually thought about it until you asked, but I suspect that the case is 3D printed. It is sturdy enough and also has three good quality IR emitters. The USB lead is about 5 feet long, so plenty of room to play with. I've got it cable-tied to my preferred headphones and it works a treat. It is certainly more user-friendly than my old baseball cap covered in wires and and bodge tape!

The clip is also of an in-line build, but I have no problems with precision of tracking. I don't think the lack of offset on the middle point is actually too critical as long as there is a defined difference in "depth" between the three emitters. From the perspective of the camera, the three points will only be in a line when you are perfectly face-on, but the moment you turn your head they will appear to form a triangle that changes shape on the basis of how you move your head. The most important factor is that your software has accurate demensions of your clip model because it is ultimately performing trigonometry on the fly to calculate your rotation and translation on the basis of the apparent change in position of the IR points.

I can try and get you a settings file if you want, though I don't know if it might have a format bespoke to FTNoIR.
    Last edited by Pans; Apr-02-2017 at 12:02.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

What does this angle give you that the 'in-line' leds don't?...Have you tried both?...
    Yes, because I made my clip from hard wire so it was easy to model. It's a bit hard to explain and I gave that clip to a friend, it would be easy to show the difference if I still have it.
    That offset helped at those critical angles when you're rotating your head but a camera doesn't see a movement because of the perspective.
    A plane is defined by three points and I'm pretty sure that all those tracking algorithms are calculating the vector normal to the plane by given points.
    You noticed well that the engineers at Naturalpoint made that offset on both clips, why is the trackclip pro asymmetrical I don't know. Probably to avoid some critical zones in the algorithm (mathematical, not geometrical ones I suppose). One should look into the algorithm to find that out.

If I were you I'd go for a trackclip model if you could find a way to fix it at the top of your headphones. That one is more precise in jaw like I said, I have tried both.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Mindle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

The PS3 Eye that I bought a couple years ago is pretty good...It helps to see everything...everything apart from Mindle apparently!...

Check six Spitty!.jpg

S! Lewis.

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz Processor; 16.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; TM Warthog HOTAS; MFG Crosswinds; Track IR5

14. Likes ATAG_Freya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Mindle View Post
    Hahaha....Classic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I'll let you know how I get on with it...Not buying parts until tomoro or Tuesday...

Any ideas how I solder the USB and what resistor I should be using..?...Circuit diagram for a noob solderer like me would be brilliant...

I'm also trying to figure out a way to model one with Polymorph...That stuff would be excellent once it was made...Very durable and flexible...unbreakable too...Just not sure how to model one yet?...Hmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

I remember hearing somewhere that you have to be careful wiring USB and include a fuse, or it can do bad things to your motherboard in case of a short...

There's an excellent website here (http://ledcalc.com) for finding out what resistor you need - just plug in the values and it will do all the magical calculations for you.

(Pictures of my setup coming soon)

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

I got power from a powered USB hub - my power is independent of the computer. I didn't use a fuse but it's always good practice to do so.

You'll need to know the specs on the LED's (IR emitters actually) before you can calculate the resistor values.
    The Freetrack site also has an "LED wizard".
    http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/calcled/
    I would also recommend that for ease of troubleshooting later you wire your LED's in parallel, not series.
    In series if anything goes wrong like a wire break (most likely) or resistor burnout or LED fail the whole thing will just stop working.
    In parallel, most likely only one LED will quit and you'll know where to look for a bad connection. If they DO all quit the problem will be in the power supply end of the circuit.

Last edited by Perfesser; Apr-02-2017 at 15:56.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sorry Lew it's a bit late and I was flying a campaign. The resistor value is depending on LEDs you will use.

And that parallel connection that Perfesser posted is wrong, you'd have some 3.6 to 3.8 Volts on that resistor and it would be heating up like crazy.
    Post what LEDs you're looking at here or send me a PM. I'll give you two or three values to regulate the current at will. These are really cheap.

A resistor will not burn if a circuit is correct and they also have a power rating specified ( 1/4 W, 1/2 W...). LEDs are also very durable if they're protected by a resistor in front.
    Last edited by vranac; Apr-02-2017 at 18:30.

20. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Here's my robust setup, complete with badly taken photo...

zeHaPmTl.jpg

Basically it's just 3 IR LEDs connected in series with a 90 ohm variable resistor to stop it from frying (because I lacked a normal resistor at the time of building...). The whole arrangement is held together by a bit of stiff wire I found in the garage and a bulldog clip (also from garage). The power end plugs into a 9v DC wallwart - probably overkill considering each LED takes 1.6v each...

And the best bit? It only cost me $5NZ for the LEDs and the rest I had just lying around... oh, and it works too. That's always a bonus. Would recommend this course of action where TrackIR sets cost over 40 times that...
    Last edited by ATAG_kiwiflieger; Mar-02-2018 at 20:55. Reason: Photo embedded properly this time

22. Likes ATAG_Lewis, PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

Quote Originally Posted by vranac View Post
    Sorry Lew it's a bit late and I was flying a campaign. The resistor value is depending on LEDs you will use.

And that parallel connection that Perfesser posted is wrong, you'd have some 3.6 to 3.8 Volts on that resistor and it would be heating up like crazy.
    Post what LEDs you're looking at here or send me a PM. I'll give you two or three values to regulate the current at will. These are really cheap.

A resistor will not burn if a circuit is correct and they also have a power rating specified ( 1/4 W, 1/2 W...). LEDs are also very durable if they're protected by a resistor in front.
    I only posted that pic to demonstrate a parallel circuit as opposed to series. Technically they're showing a 1.5v battery as the power source probably dropping the voltage to 1.2 for the LED's.
    At any rate I'm weakest on the electronics end of this (or any) project.
    Mine are wired in series and a simple overstressed/broken wire necessitated taking the whole thing apart to test each LED individually. That was when I switched the power lead to a coiled telephone cord so it can always move freely without stressing the same point.
    Last edited by Perfesser; Apr-03-2017 at 11:59.

24. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

At some point, for DIY Headtracking, get OSRAM SH485P Wide Angle IR LED's'. As well as being wide angle, these LED's emit a slightly visible spectrum of visible light and when powered you can see that the clip is indeed working. TrackIR clips use this type of LED and give a faint orange glow unlike conventional IR LEDs which do not emit any visible light.

With the above LEDs wired in series and connected to a 5V supply (a redundant NOKIA mobile phone charger.....) I use a 10 ohm resistor but the value depends on the type of LED and the Voltage supplied to them (as VRan says, wire them in series!).

As for which is best regards software and comparing to TrackIR, I purchased a TrackIR with Clip thinking it would be better than my Freetrack with PS3eyecam but found that my FT system was as good and in fact had advantages over the TrackIr System so sold it.

I also found FT to be better than any other headtracking freeware. The later PS3eyecam driver is better than the earlier freeware but you have to pay a small fee for it but it overcomes the problem of needing PS3 eyecam fix files.

Clip or hat? Depends if the software can utilise either but I find no difference in performance. Clip requires some method of attaching but thats about it. Not familiar with your Headtracking software but be aware that FT does give suggested dimensions regards optimum LED spacing but it also allows for the user to enter the dimensions of the clip that you make so you can deviate if necessary, also the LED's are in line for the clip and no offset is needed for the centre LED (unlike the Track IR clip).

Best of luck with the project, its a great way to get a top notch tracking system on a budget.......

(Just checked your link and the software is free so will check it out and compare to FT)
    Last edited by ATAG_EvangelusE; Apr-03-2017 at 13:47.
    [CENTER][/CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - MSFF2/X45Th - Asus 23' Monitor.

26. Likes ATAG_Lewis, Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

You can calculate yourself the resistor value you need if you know the specs of the iR-led.
    As an example, if I wanted to use the led on this site.I take a look at the specs and I find the info I need.
    https://www.conrad.nl/nl/osram-sfh-4...ad-153831.html
    Uf=1,5V(forwarding voltage)
    If=100mA (forwarding current) the max you want to use
    And 5V If you want to use usb as a powersource

voltage powersource - (3x Uf)/If= resistor value
    5V-(3x1,5V)/0.1A=5 ohm

Here you have calculated the minimum resistor value for the using the leds at max power.
    Because you don't want to use the leds at the max it is better to use 6,7ohm resistor to get 75mA as used current.Or 10 ohm for 50mA if your webcam doesn't have a ir-blocking filter or jus a weak one.
    A lot of info can be found on the Freetrack-forum on this subject
    http://forum.free-track.net/index.php

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1856
    http://forum.free-track.net/index.ph...4&page=1#18540
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    I only posted that pic to demonstrate a parallel circuit as opposed to series. Technically they're showing a 1.5v battery as the power source probably dropping the voltage to 1.2 for the LED's.
    Perfesser, I understand that you wanted to help but that circuit is completely wrong and could be misleading to someone. It is not only wrong because of that huge heat dissipation on that resistor if someone like Lewis wanted to use 5 V from USB. It's wrong even if someone is limited with a lower voltage 1.5-3 V. If someone is forced to use that voltage ( batteries, he has such power adapter laying around) he has to put a resistor in front of every LED, in every branch one resistor, because in the real world LEDs aren't the same, they differ a bit. A one of these LEDs would draw most of the current, would shine brighter and burn at the end.

This is how a parallel circuit should look like

@kiwiflieger

You made a mistake with embedding that photo but I think that anyone that is thinking about DIY headtracker should see it. It might look messy to someone but it's actually very good and sturdy, fixated with plastic if I saw it right ( except for that potentiometer part but I know why did you put it there. I would just remove it later when the right value was found ). You have also used that hard wire as a '-' lead like me to simplify wiring and you also made an offset with that center LED. And, like you have said you used stuff that was laying around, excellent.

Last edited by vranac; Apr-03-2017 at 14:32.

29. Likes Stormrider, ATAG_kiwiflieger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks folks....for the feedback on this....

Great job on that unit Vran...even got the potentiometer in there too...Very impressive!

Wow...So I went to the local electronics shop today (Maplins)...the guy in the shop baffled me with some electronic stuff...he was very intelligent...he had glasses on!...Anyway he give me some 3mm red leds and also the resistors that should be ok for them...and also he gave me 3x3mm IR (950nm) leds and one resistor for those...he did some calculations on a piece of paper to work out the ohms or something for the resistors...then he gave me this stuff...he was very intelligent!

He frightened me a bit...Said I could blow my motherboard or something...so I am going to make a battery version first because that way I do less damage in terms of fires and stuff...I mean we really don't want the fire brigade here again...and she keeps telling me she knew that home made sandwich toaster was a bad idea from the start man!...

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Apr-03-2017 at 15:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Thanks for showing that picture properly vranac - unfortunately both the attachment and post edit system appear to be playing up for me...

Also, forgot to mention in my post that I use Opentrack as the software part of the whole system - works well with the Accela filter assuming all LEDs are visible (as always! )
    I should also note that as the wire is some sort of coated metal (possibly galvanised?) I scraped off some of the coating to use that as a route for the electricity to cut down on wiring.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That's kiwiflieger's clip Lew.

That's nice, I don't know the foreword voltage for these IR LEDs but that resistor is 24 Ohms and that will give you something around 40 mA on the LEDs which looks fine.

Now you have to find some USB cable ( or some old mobile phone charger is what I'd prefer, to avoid damaging your mobo, these are usually 4.x V), the red (orange?) wire should be +5 V and the black (white?) -.
    You also need to sand down these LEDs, you can leave 1-2 mm above those electrodes you see there. You don't need to polish the top, mat is fine. Something like this:

Then you should connect the resistor to the plus pole and LEDs like this:

Don't forget to insulate those two leads on LEDS so to avoid a short circuit. The heat shrinking insulation would be the best but an electrical tape would do also.

I see that you bought some red LEDs to improve the visual effect

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks again Vran....That's very comprehensive...I woun't make a mistake now...~S~

Stormrider PM'd me that it is better to have 5mm Leds...I got the 3mm ones?...I'll try it anyway with what I got to see...

I figured I won't plug it into my PC usb...I'll try it in a charger first...at least that will blow the charger and leds before I go anywhere near a PC...

Still figuring out hot to make the actual gismo out of plastic...I'll keep you posted...

...Lew...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Thanks again Vran....That's very comprehensive...I woun't make a mistake now...~S~

Stormrider PM'd me that it is better to have 5mm Leds...I got the 3mm ones?...I'll try it anyway with what I got to see...

I figured I won't plug it into my PC usb...I'll try it in a charger first...at least that will blow the charger and leds before I go anywhere near a PC...

Still figuring out hot to make the actual gismo out of plastic...I'll keep you posted...

...Lew...
    if you have a powered hub bung it in that first. Nice buffer to the Motherboard !

in fact it might give you an excuse to get one if it's on your wish list ! "pereceived need" is such a help with thiose trickey... "but I don't really need it" moments.

i got a AUKEY 7 socket one with two charge sockets as wll on amazon for about £10 recently.

really really good. no more crawling about under the table erm... i mean the cockpit... and serves as a handy phone / ipod charge point.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I really want to hear how this compares with Track IR

in fact.... since you also have ED TRacker... I wanna know how it compares with both.

As far as I know you will be the only player with all three to hand !

(I can help with self-interview techniques by the way... the key is to ignore the question and just keep giving the same answer over and over... and for pity's sake... never look yourself in the eye...)

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

3mm or 5mm leds, ir or normal leds?Nothing can beat the pleasure of the feeling that you made your own tracking stuf.What tracking software are you going to use?Freetrack is the one what comes the closes to Trackir.Freetrack v22067 had also support for using a (older version) trackir camera.
    http://naturalpointofview.blogspot.n...freetrack.html
    I wish you luck with your experiment.

maybe also interesting for you?
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I used the Trackhat software...https://www.trackhat.org/

It worked fine with that....and I don't like the OpenTrack interface with the green skull....Looks a bit clunky...

I actually sent for one of these too...SuperClip (like the DelanClip)

http://headtracker.co.uk/shop/gaming...cker-usb-clip/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-Track...oAAOSwa~BYTJko

If I can make one and have this version I can pretty much advise folks who don't want to spend the big bucks on TrackIR...

The main difference I could see with DIY and TrackIR is the software and setup...It seems that the TrackIR is pretty much plug and play...but the DIY version software has a lot of faffing to be done to hit the sweetspot...Has anyone made a CLOD profile that can be just downloaded to make it easier for the new players?

===========================

@Highseas...You missed No.3) Never make eye contact with someone while eating a banana!
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Apr-04-2017 at 17:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

The Superclip came today....I have to say at first I am very impressed with the build quality...Looks very robust..sturdy...It is 3D printed I think...It is hollow with a cover that makes it look symmetrical...and then some heat wrap that holds it together...The flat side is big enough to apply some Velcro to instead of the ties which is how I will mount it...Very clever...Very good...Highly recommend it...£18.99

Still tweaking...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Aug-28-2017 at 18:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Spent a couple hours tweaking the settings this evening...Mappings...Not sure how to save a profile in TrackHat yet...but I got this gismo working very nicely...As I say very impressed with it in terms of build quality and how effective it is...

Without doubt I can get this working as well as TrackIR...

What I have is pretty much the TrackHat Clip Kit and Camera which TrackHat sell for £32

https://www.trackhat.org/product-pag...0-YaArWF8P8HAQ

I bought the PS3 eye from ebay cheap and bought the 'Superclip' (above)

Again my only gripe is there isn't a default 'combat flight sim' profile...You have to spend the hours it takes to get it working properly...

When I have sussed out how to save a profile I will upload mine...but I want it to be perfect and so I am still tweaking...

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I did realise about the centre led being out of line in the TrackIR Clip Pro...If you think about it the reflective hat clip is in a triangle too...albeit more of an equilateral one...The triangle shape of the 3 leds must add something to the way it works...in terms of the camera seeing a 3D shape to recognise...

I'll probably make an 'in-line' version to see why it is worse...

Strange thing is that all the led clips I have seen on the internet and eBay are all 'in-line' leds... Some of them are 3D printable ones that you can download for free...below

http://www.yeggi.com/q/head+tracking/

Still none of them are 'staggerd' led..All seem to be 'in-line' led....

Just need to find a local 3D printing guy....

You can get more HeadIR Tracker from this site: https://www.stlfinder.com/3dmodels/head-tracking-ir

and in case you need to find a freelancer to 3d print a any 3d model, try 3d hubs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast