Thread: BoS in VR

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

BoS in VR

For anyone interested,

Tried out BoS in VR for the first time yesterday after the release of version 2.009.

It is beautiful and runs very well in VR!
    1CGS did a very good job with this implementation.

Now if some of that tech can eventually trickle down to Cliffs...
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Re: BoS in VR

I tried it today. Works with Oculus DK2...But....My head is about two-feet outside (above) of the cockpit. How do I get back inside the cockpit it reset the viewpoint?

Basically to get it working in DK2:

Turn on computer.

Make sure Oculus is plugged in.

Launch Oculus software

Click '"Settings"

Click "General"

Click "Allow other sources"

Launch Steam

Click on the Steam VR tab

Click set up room

Go through the onscreen setup

Steam VR should then turn green and say ready.

Launch BoS

Go into settings/graphics and then click turn on VR HDM

Restart BoS.

Place on Oculus

Enjoy

Looks great and very impressive, especially watching burning aircraft as you fly past them

Had an issue with BoS not recognising my joystick, seems it was setting my Simpeds as Joy_0 and all my config for the Cougar is Joy_1. So been a pain reconfiguring the joystick. Now the issue is BoS won't recognise the full range of the throttle....So frustrating!

Anyway, Oculus is very impressive....But BoS controls and interface are doing my noodle in a bit

Cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Hi MP

I am downloading the game again now so will be able to try it shortly.

I think the reset view key is set as numpad 5 by default (check keybindings) but I expect it can be remapped to what ever you want including a joystick button.

Looking forward to having a look!

Cheers

EDIT: yep, numpad 5 does the trick mate. I'm having a bit of difficulty with button mapping though. Setting reset view to a button and my prop pitch to a HOTAS axis are both recognised in the menu ... but do not seem to actually work in game. I've only mapped the other basic controls thus far but everything else seems to be working. Suspect I will figure it out once I've had a look in the actual joystick calibration/settings menus - only looked at the button mapping section thus far - have to go to work now :-(

First impressions: Woweee! this is gonna be fun! Agree they've done a good job.

Some VR (general and performance tips) from the devs here if it helps anyone
    https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...ps-and-tricks/
    Last edited by ATAG_Naz; Apr-13-2017 at 22:08.

"...pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not."
    - Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Naz View Post
    Hi MP

I am downloading the game again now so will be able to try it shortly.

I think the reset view key is set as numpad 5 by default (check keybindings) but I expect it can be remapped to what ever you want including a joystick button.

Looking forward to having a look!

Cheers

EDIT: yep, numpad 5 does the trick mate. I'm having a bit of difficulty with button mapping though. Setting reset view to a button and my prop pitch to a HOTAS axis are both recognised in the menu ... but do not seem to actually work in game. I've only mapped the other basic controls thus far but everything else seems to be working
    It's been a few days and you may have already figured this out, but fwiw:

There is a re-set view for VR specifically under Pilot Head Control - it is called Default VR View, I have assigned to a button and it works great. Also VR Zoom is in there as well.

Prop Pitch - are you flying Normal or Expert? Normal I believe Prop Pitch is controlled for you automatically.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

5. Likes ATAG_Naz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dburne View Post
    It's been a few days and you may have already figured this out, but fwiw:

There is a re-set view for VR specifically under Pilot Head Control - it is called Default VR View, I have assigned to a button and it works great. Also VR Zoom is in there as well.

Prop Pitch - are you flying Normal or Expert? Normal I believe Prop Pitch is controlled for you automatically.
    Cheers mate, yeah ... all good. That was a very quick first look before I went off to work ... have it all working sweet now (away from home for a week though now but looking forward to getting back). It's been a while since I've loaded any flight sim .... VR ruined flat screen simming for me so have been largely running driving sims in VR since the DK2 (and later the CV1) was released.

That quick taste of BoS in VR certainly had the wow factor again. TF patch is an instant buy once they release working VR in Cliffs.
    Last edited by ATAG_Naz; Apr-17-2017 at 09:01.

"...pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not."
    - Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

7. Likes ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

I'm shocked at how good BoS is in VR

It looks fantastic and runs smooth. Been trying it out in the Vive and although the game gives me frame rate drops, I don't have any issues playing in VR. The reprojection software (AKA Vive's version of ATW) is fantastic at smoothing out frames so you don't get motion sick.

I tried it out once in single player, and decided I'd at least try it once in MP. I didn't have high hopes, I thought I might be able to sludge around blindly in an IL2 or some other ground pounder, but I expected VR just doesn't have the same resolution as a monitor... so I was ready to take to the skies with the combat awareness of Mr. Magoo.

To my shock, it's not a huge handicap to play in MP against other players. I hopped on the Wing's server and ended my first VR sortie with 2 kills and 2 assists. No icons, no helpers!

The game is very well optimized for VR. They have some sort of model scaling enabled for VR headsets so you can still reasonably see contacts with an HMD's lower resolution. They also enabled a 2x zoom function to allow you to ID air or spot ground targets.

I wouldn't say these make VR headsets better than a monitor, I find I have to get pretty close to ID targets, but I can still ID aircraft out of gun range. Somewhere around 400-500m if I had to take a guess... although it depends on how distinct the silhouette is, and what kind of aspect they are at. (Head on and direct 6 is hard to ID).

The only negative points about it are the added 'head bump' sound against the cockpit. It gets annoying as your head is pretty restricted as it is. You can't get your face anywhere near the gunsight. This is fine considering most pilots were strapped into their seats. The problem is that you hear a loud bang every time you move your head near the limit. I thought I was being shot at the first time I heard it, but no, it's because your head (which is the size of a small car apparently) is bashing around the cockpit every time you try to glance around.

I also notice some sort of distortion/vertical line near the middle of the display when looking around quickly from side to side... as though the images don't quite line up between the eyes. I think it mainly happens at low FPS. It's a very minute distortion, so It's hard to explain more than that. I haven't noticed this distortion in other games I've tried, even when they reach low FPS. It's not a game killer... it's just an odd quirk I notice. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this in VR? I'd be curious to know. (And before you say it... No it's not IPD)

I really didn't expect to be able to run BoS in VR and still be competitive Multiplayer. It is fantastic implementation. You're obviously still at a slight disadvantage vs a monitor. A monitor can ID contacts and ground targets much further away than an HMD, tracers are a little more difficult to follow in VR, and it is also much more of a chore to check six with VR vs trackir, but who cares when you're sitting in a 3d cockpit!

Last edited by ATAG_NakedSquirrel; May-01-2017 at 20:13.