Thread: 4K TV Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

4K TV Question

On a visit to my parents recently I was amazed how great their new LG 4K TV looked as it upscaled his 1080p content. TV shows my wife and I watch watch regularly on our 1080P TV at home were stunning on their 4K. I'm running a 1080p 32 inch TV as my CloD monitor, running Cliffs in 1080. Can a 4K TV upscale Cliffs as I run it in 1080 and not take a FPS hit? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Re: 4K TV Question

If the TV is upscaling there won't be a fps hit.
    More likely you will have a higher input lag. Means the time when you move your mouse and the time you see it moving.
    The question is, can the TV upscale 1080 and 60hz with just a little bit of higher input lag and to 4k@60hz (not fps).
    It might be limited to 30Hz. However Hz is fluid, the time inbetween the refresh rate of the TV is constant, while at fps the time inbetween frames from the game aren't constant.

Oh and as I said in the chat, if you look into TV for PC and fast pace gaming, you should take a look at the input lag comparision on some websites. Since new TV could have a higher input lag than a pc monitor. If you're able to test a TV, make sure it's in "pc" mode and any of the 100hz - 600hz "smoothing" is off.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Apr-13-2017 at 08:04.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 13sq*Axe View Post
    On a visit to my parents recently I was amazed how great their new LG 4K TV looked as it upscaled his 1080p content. TV shows my wife and I watch watch regularly on our 1080P TV at home were stunning on their 4K. I'm running a 1080p 32 inch TV as my CloD monitor, running Cliffs in 1080. Can a 4K TV upscale Cliffs as I run it in 1080 and not take a FPS hit? Thanks in advance.
    "LG 4K TV" can be either LED or OLED which makes a noticable difference in TV programs. I bought a 55" LG OLED TV last year and the picture was remarkably clear. The response time (Time it takes to draw a screen) is essentially zero and the nature of OLED pixels is the absence of light when black is called for so black is really black. For broadcast, DVD and Blu-Ray viewing, OLED gets my highest recommendation.

The downside was the "Input Lag" (Time it takes for a signal request from a Computer to finally make it to the screen) was unacceptably high. This resulted in choppy, blurry game play to the point where I was compelled to return it to the store for a refund. This high lag time is a widely reported shortcoming of OLED TV's and as of the end of the 2016 model year, all the software updates and manufacturers' claims fell short of expectations. I haven't read of any "watershed" improvements in the LG 2017 line either, but a number of other manufacturers, SONY for one, now sell OLED units claiming improvements in input lag.

In reading reviews, I noticed that the games tested were never flight simulators so they may have acceptable lag time for shooters, etc. In my opinion, flight simulators repaint more pixels at greater rates than any other type of game so the OLED TV reviews may be misleading, especially with respect to our flight sims. I'm afraid that OLED is not quite ready for prime time for flight sims like CLoD... Wonderful picture, though!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

5. Likes TURK_Enlem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 13sq*Axe View Post

A GTX1080 can push 4K res no problem I wouldn't recommended upscaling to 4K on a 1080p when you can do it with a native 4K res. If you go for a 4 TV take your time and chose wisely.

What are you planing to do with that? Gaming fps? Simulation?
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

7. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_((dB)) View Post
    A GTX1080 can push 4K res no problem I wouldn't recommended upscaling to 4K on a 1080p when you can do it with a native 4K res. If you go for a 4 TV take your time and chose wisely.

What are you planing to do with that? Gaming fps? Simulation?

Running CLoD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

For sim there is few things that need to the considered. If you go 4K you'll need a big screen to be able to spot things like you are use on your 1080p monitor in fact you need 4 time as bis to get the same pixel density. Otherwise it will be beautiful but you would be pissed not be able to find anything at more then 5 miles. In other word a 55" 4K TV will have more or less the same pixel density then a 28" 1080p monitor.

Second you need low input lag bellow 50ms should be good for sim, not for FPS. I have mine at 37ms and I can't notice a lag.

Third one is motion blur or the GtoG response time like they says. The lower the better. Like Baffin was says in his post the best in that are OLED where you get as low as 1ms. Here is the area where I should have done a little more research because the TV I bought have 17ms and according to some "expert" it's good enough, I am telling you it's not good for simming because when you zoom in to id an aircraft the image become blur. My previous monitor had 1 ms and I could id aircraft a good 1 minutes before the others, thanks to the details of the 4K resolution.

Here a few very good website where they test the TV'S

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...comparison_200

https://displaylag.com/low-input-lag...-2014-edition/

It's all depend of your budget and space I hope it help
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

10. Likes TURK_Enlem, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Thanks so much folks!