Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who on the ATAG is also into the DCS Spitfire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Re: Who on the ATAG is also into the DCS Spitfire?

Still alpha release so not finished. Also had shadows off in that vid.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

2. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    Still alpha release so not finished. Also had shadows off in that vid.
    ahh cool !

Ive been following the DCS Normandy stuff as much as i can.

it does look very good.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I've been impressed with the Burning Skies server, even though I'm located near Toronto, Canada. Some warping, to be sure, but not excessive IMHO. My time there is not distinguished. Flying a Spit I was able to successfully evade several attacks, and even fire some shots at pretty extreme range (2 miles, perhaps? ).

Looking forward to the Normandy Map!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

5. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    I've been impressed with the Burning Skies server, even though I'm located near Toronto, Canada. Some warping, to be sure, but not excessive IMHO. My time there is not distinguished. Flying a Spit I was able to successfully evade several attacks, and even fire some shots at pretty extreme range (2 miles, perhaps? ).

Looking forward to the Normandy Map!
    Being in Toronto, you should try "Steel Balls" their sever is based in New York, US. I bet you would get killer ping time. It's setup similar to "Burning Skies" but I've experienced no warping on their server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.4 GHz; 16.0GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; CH HOTAS + Pedals; Track IR5

7. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

and before I loose whatever little smidgen of credibility I might've had, back in the 109

The spitfire pilot, was , err, my little brother while I was away from the pc.

Rouen. Went there once, lovely place.

Cherboutgh
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    However I like the team work common goal aspect of the ATAG, maybe with the new Normandy map and asset pack DCS can have similar. Right now everyone is learning their aircraft and maneuvers so all the servers are dog fight after dog fight. Normandy will hopefully open up mission play for those of us that prefer it.

That would take time I am afraid. To have common goal and objective you would need ground attack planes and bombers, we don't even have delay fuse for the bombs. They have so much things to implements to make DCS immersive multiplayer environment that I consider it as my retirement project/hobby
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

10. Likes BOO liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

With you there dB.

If I'm harsh then its only based on what I see. I like a lot of things about DCS but, for now, not MP.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

A run up to Saint-Lo

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Thanks Vlerkies!!

I'm probably wrong and it may well be as it was but, a those bridges look very very samey and not much like the bridges, temporary or otherwise, ive seen in images pre and post June 44. Very much all of one type too.

Is there any variation?
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I just had an amazing dogfight in the Spitty against an expert AI 109.

The fight lasted probably 10 gruelling minutes, with me constantly watching the engine temperature to make sure I don't break it. Finally, I shot the 109 down. As I flew past his smoking wreck, my engine seized!

All that effort and I blew the engine after I had won the fight! And of course I botched my deadstick landing and exploded. At least the 109 pilot survived and bailed out!

I love the Spitfire.

15. Likes farley, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    I just had an amazing dogfight in the Spitty against an expert AI 109.

The fight lasted probably 10 gruelling minutes, with me constantly watching the engine temperature to make sure I don't break it. Finally, I shot the 109 down. As I flew past his smoking wreck, my engine seized!

All that effort and I blew the engine after I had won the fight! And of course I botched my deadstick landing and exploded. At least the 109 pilot survived and bailed out!

I love the Spitfire.
    I have found that a good combat setting is 2850 RPM, 12 Boost. Keeping those numbers locked have allowed me to fly hard and worry less about blowing the engine. If you go vertical and find yourself stalling, just go idle until your on your way down. That stall at the top is dangerous on the engine temps.

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.4 GHz; 16.0GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; CH HOTAS + Pedals; Track IR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Is that the finished article?

Love the glare effects on the canopy perspex. Very impressive. The cockpit though looks a tad sterile.

The Spit is still not finished and further updates are expected as I understand it.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
    The Spit is still not finished and further updates are expected as I understand it.
    Just from buzzing around Normandy aimlessly imho the Spit is probably the most complete when it comes to this map/engine.
    51 has no canopy textures to speak of just yet, but it was produced (digitally) long ago.
    It's early days for DCS Normandy. Some things look really good, others really not so great but it's an alpha, so lets not forget that!

One thing I think that will never change is the water, and I have never liked that much in DCS tbh. The Normandy map has some cool rendering but when you are high or looking in front of you it just looks like glass, no texture.
    It's like flying in a David Copperfield set, never knowing where the sea level is.
    I delved through some IL2 youtube vids (old and new) and really they (dcs) are missing a trick somewhere with this.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; May-12-2017 at 23:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

My whole squadron, 56 RAF, that has been flying CLOD at least twice a week for many years has swapped completely to DCS to fly P51s & Spits and sometimes Mig-15s v Sabres. Most of us are not interested in missiles & computerised attacks. Other squadrons such as 54 RAF have done the same (though they also fly modern jets) which is why the Storm Of War server no longer exists. We have all paid for the Normandy map so are busy honing our dogfight & ground attack skills for when Normandy releases in a few weeks. It cannot be denied that DCS has some shortcomings but they are things being worked on, with many upgrades coming with the Normandy release, and meanwhile we are enjoying the much better flying experience. It is not totally out of the question that the new CLOD might lure us back if it is good enough but that might equally be true of the IL2-BoX series which we have never flown as a squad but is showing more promise as it develops. The 'Battle Of Pacific' game could be the thing that tips the balance as by the time that is released the whole series will have been improved further.
    Last edited by Roblex; Jun-05-2017 at 04:06.
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

20. Likes Catseye liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    Thanks Vlerkies!!

I'm probably wrong and it may well be as it was but, a those bridges look very very samey and not much like the bridges, temporary or otherwise, ive seen in images pre and post June 44. Very much all of one type too.

Is there any variation?
    Sorry missed this, yes pretty much all look the same.
    That said the map has no real wide rivers in it. In places where there are wide bits and bridges they seemed to double up on the std texture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Sorry for not sticking to the genre as such, but this map has more potential than just WW2 really, and my L39 is really comfy
    Across the bay from Le Havre, early morning fog.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; May-15-2017 at 14:34.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Thx for the vids, Vlerkies!
    I never really did get this "amazing lighting" vibe until I saw your snippets, for some reason.
    It really is devilishly good.

Such a shame that by the time it's finished and has an amount of assets on par with what we have in CloD I'll probably retire - judging by the speed of development that ED has shown so far.

Oh well.
    At least I'll have more time to fly then.
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox; May-15-2017 at 17:03. Reason: I hate Android keyboards

24. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

2 weeks buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    52.91 MB

I ve got all the ww11 aircraft ,Normandy map, and assets . Just trying to tweak the sim for optimal performance, and considering getting a longer stick extension made to 24 inch live the dream
    [COLOR="#B22222"]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900k CPU @ 24 Core/32 Thread processor , RTX4090,Win 11 64 Bit , 64GB Corsair DDR5 Ram

DOF Reality Motion Platform P3,Virpril constellation grip & TM50 Mongoose base , TM Warthog HOTAS,MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals ,TM MFG X2 ,TM Warthog Hotas,TIR5,Authentikit Flight Stick fir Mk9 Spit,Throttle quadrant ,Rudder Trim wheel and Elevator Trim wheel, VR Quest 3 a handsome talented pilot

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Normandy map is made for VR, it really pops.
    I spend most of my time in Normandy just sightseeing in the huey, dropping troops off in hot LZs and maybe a little bit of hooning around in the freebie TF51 mustang.
    The jets are reserved for Nevada and Caucasus where the higher speeds dont cause microstutters below 1000ft.
    Agree, with the multiplayer aspect of DCS, it is certainly not like Clod. I fly single player 99.9% of the time.

I do miss the camaraderie of CloD and also miss manning the bofors on airfield defence, adding one more death to aggressor's statistics as eats a 40mm shell, acting as ground controller and landing quality judge.
    Last edited by Tinkicker; Aug-25-2017 at 03:10.
    Intel I9 9900K at 5.0 Ghz. Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra Motherboard. 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM. EVGA G3 PSU. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC. Thermaltake flo riing360 water cooler. 1TB Corsair M.2 NVMe boot drive. I TB Seagate hybrid mass storage drive. HP Reverb. TM Warthog HOTAS. MFG Crosswind pedals.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12