Thread: new: few questions

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

new: few questions

Hi my name is Jorge, and I am very new to CoD and combat simulators in general

I have a couple questions, but before I start, I just want to thank you all for helping new players, Baffin in particular as his Hurricane I guide really helped me: I can now take-off and taxi without any problem and I can land with just a few bumps (plane OK)

questions are:
    1) when you arrive at an airfield, how do you know which way is headwind? my guess is that the yellow boards need to be in the right to land safely,

2) how can you post .trk files in this forum? I think the answer is not possible, but want to confirm

3) Is team fusion mod compatible with other campaigns?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by Jorge_S; Apr-27-2017 at 23:01.

2. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

Re: new: few questions

1) Yes, the yellow boards are your best indication of wind direction. When the mission builder chooses the wind direction for the mission, the boards are generated automatically when the mission launches. Some missions will also have windsocks, although these have to be placed by the mission builder.

2) I don't know the answer to this one, sorry. Hopefully someone else will come by and answer for you.

3) Some campaigns are compatible, some are not. You will need to ask the creator of the campaign if they created the campaign using the TF mod. Older campaigns are mostly not compatible, though many have been revised to be so.

Have a look around the forums here for the "Beginner's Guide" to Cliffs of Dover, or wait a bit, and Lewis will be around to post you a link to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Most missions have windsocks placed at the ends of the runway, off to one side or another... look for the sock and the way it is pointing... you land from the direction the sock is pointing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Hi Jorge_S

2) Make an account on a free file sharing website such as MediaFire (the I use)...Upload your ntrk.file there (or best to Zip file it first of there are multiple files in one download)..and then post the link in your posts...

https://www.mediafire.com/

Welcome to the Community and Forums Jorge_S...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve too...

Beginners Guide

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums you might want to bag for future reference...

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact spotting is massively important in any flight sim...Seeing that enemy before he sees you is a race you don't want to be second in...Check this link to see if you can tweak your rig any better...

Contact Spotting Test

Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

A must read for all CLOD enthusiasts is the recent news that has the whole community buzzing very heavily...

TeamFusion News

And finally...Please take the time to have a read of some of the stories of military family adventures by a few of the members of this forum...and maybe share yours with us...~S~

A Tribute to Those Who Served

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

===================================

Any UK members please let us know where abouts in the UK you are...Just for reference...Its always good to know just incase there happen to be folks who can help you or you can help locally...buy a joystick from or even just a chat in a pub with someone who is likeminded...

UK Based Player Location thread

Thanks...~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

6. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Thanks again,

question on windsocks... is RAF Upavon on the "cross country" quick mission equipped with one? I just can't see it

As per getting into the online server, I want to learn how to shoot () and more important how to run the landing pattern without crashing with other players before I jump into it
    Last edited by Jorge_S; Apr-28-2017 at 08:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Welcome flieger!

If interested in learning about shooting I would advise checking out this thread and there's a few ones around about convergence and ammunition loadouts as well.

See you in the skies

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Thanks for the "Attaboy"

At the risk of confusing you with a CLoD "Feature", you may request the current wind for takeoff by pressing [TAB 7 3]. Unfortunately, the report generated is the metric reverse of normal aviation wind reporting. If the wind at the airport is easterly (Coming from the east) at 10 MPH, an actual RAF control tower should report, "Wind, 090 at Ten". Due to the lack of a metric conversion when Cliffs of Dover (CLoD) was first written, the wind is expressed as Meters per Second (MPS) in the [TAB 7 3] report. Therefore, we should see a text report of "Wind, 090 4", indicating an east wind of four meters per second... BUT... For some reason, the wind direction is actually reported as the reciprocal of the magnetic wind direction.

SIMPLIFIED: "Wind 270 4" must be mentally juggled to read "Wind 090 at Ten". (270 west, is the reciprocal of 090 east). The speed conversion factor is about 1 Meter per second equals about 2.2 MPH (about 5 MPH per 2 MPS). You can make a little chart on a sticky note to paste on your monitor along with the others you probably already have, or just remember that 2, 4 and 6 MPS equals 5, 9 and 13 MPH since most reports fall within that range. For the entire chart click on:

http://www.metric-conversions.org/sp...s-per-hour.htm

One important thing to take away from all this may be that a two MPS wind is quite manageable as crosswind and even tailwind for takeoff. Four MPS is significantly more challenging, and six MPS tailwind has had the best of us weeping and gnashing teeth at one time or another at RAF Bekesbourne at Canterbury.

That's the nuts and bolts of CLoD takeoff winds. The best advice for any new player is to take the time to taxi to the end of the runway with the painted boards facing you. One crash will cost you much more time than that required to taxi to a safe takeoff position of five boards or more.
    Last edited by Baffin; Apr-29-2017 at 09:41. Reason: syntax
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

10. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Most missions have windsocks placed at the ends of the runway, off to one side or another... look for the sock and the way it is pointing... you land from the direction the sock is pointing.
    Shouldnt you land from the opposite direction to the way the sock is pointing or have I been doing that wrong?
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

12. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    Shouldnt you land from the opposite direction to the way the sock is pointing or have I been doing that wrong?
    No you land into the wind and take off into the wind.

The higher the wind speed, the more airflow, and therefore the more lift.

For example, aircraft carriers in the prop engine era, prior to launch, would turn into the wind, and then get up to maximum speed to allow heavily loaded aircraft to take off into more of a headwind.

The same applies to a landing... if a strong wind is blowing directly into the landing aircraft's path, that means the airflow under the wings is increased such that in effect the stall speed relative to the ground is lowered, ie. the aircraft can approache and land at a lower speed and therefore suffer less bounce etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Land into wind....Take off into wind....shortens the airstrip...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

But how do you know the direction of the wind when landing?

I got the yellow boards and the windsock, but there are several airfields without them, I am playing "cross country" to learn how to navigate, and I have visited several airfields without any marking; would that be because they are not my "home" airfield?

by the way.. I just flew over Stonehenge
    took me some time to figure out where it was, I also did my first successful channel crossing, landing in a small concrete runway close to Caen

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge_S View Post
    But how do you know the direction of the wind when landing?

I got the yellow boards and the windsock, but there are several airfields without them, I am playing "cross country" to learn how to navigate, and I have visited several airfields without any marking; would that be because they are not my "home" airfield?

by the way.. I just flew over Stonehenge
    took me some time to figure out where it was, I also did my first successful channel crossing, landing in a small concrete runway close to Caen
    At the beginning of the mission, while you are still on the ground (does not work in the air) hit tab 7 3, this will give you wind info and what runway to use. The wind given is where the wind is pointing to, not from, so most missions will be to 090 which is wind coming from due west or 270.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torric270 View Post
    At the beginning of the mission, while you are still on the ground (does not work in the air) hit tab 7 3, this will give you wind info and what runway to use. The wind given is where the wind is pointing to, not from, so most missions will be to 090 which is wind coming from due west or 270.
    I thought tab 7 3 was only giving the info for take-off; while "cross country" quick mission asks you to land somewhere else, far from your starting base
    I will check next time I restart

thanks

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

OK
    Clicking tab, 7, 3 I got: "Win 090, 3, strip 210"

Win 090 = wind coming from west to east ==> aircraft heading for take-off and land should be the opposite, around 270 this matches my aircraft starting position at RAF Upavon at around 260

3 = In a scale of 1 to 6, this is in the middle, 1 being very low wind (easy) and 6 very high wind (hard)

Strip 210 = I need to land in strip 210.... Is there a list of airfields with their strip #?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jorge_S; Apr-29-2017 at 16:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

OK

Win 090 = wind coming from west to east ==> aircraft heading for take-off and land should be the opposite, around 270 this matches my aircraft starting position at RAF Upavon at around 260

3 = In a scale of 1 to 6, this is in the middle, 1 being very low wind (easy) and 6 very high wind (hard)

Strip 210 = I need to land in strip 210.... Is there a list of airfields with their strip #?

Thanks
    http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/flig...eral/Bases.php

On strip: it will only give closest one as the game only deals in 30 deg increments for radar contacts, vector home etc, so ball park figures. This info is more for wind direction so you know which way to takeoff and land at whatever airfield you are at and for wind info for bomb runs.

Wind socks and yellow boards will only be present at airfield the mission designer has populated, leaving most without either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    Since this "the way the sock is pointing" can be interpreted in different ways.

You approach one of runway extremity, are a windsock there, their cone end point for the other runway extremity, so you are coming downwind. Go around!

You should land in side of runway that windsock cone end point for you, so you landing against the wind.

Same for takeoff.

21. Likes SIA_Sp00k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

At the beginning of each multiplayer mission is a map / briefing screen. By selecting the briefing screen you will get a text about who is supposed to do what to whom in this mission. USUALLY, the wind is one of the first items in the briefing and I think that this wind holds up everywhere on the map. Therefore, READ THE BRIEFING (and the enemy's briefing as well), to set the big picture in your mind before playing.

While wind is not always included, the briefing is still your only source of pre-flight intelligence.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

OK

Thanks
    Since "Strip" doesn't always coincide with the published runways at an airport, I tend to ignore it. In the absence of an assigned runway, take off and land:

1. With the marker boards facing you.
    2. With the "Big" end of the windsock in front and the "Small" end towards the departure end of the takeoff/landing runway.
    3. With your aircraft magnetic heading aligned into the reported wind direction.
    4. On the ground with the airplane pointing into the wind with no tendency to weather vane due to the crosswind component. On a big field, using no rudder, taxi slowly at low power and let the airplane "seek" the upwind heading by itself... then takeoff (Distance permitting).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Since this "the way the sock is pointing" can be interpreted in different ways.

You approach one of runway extremity, are a windsock there, their cone end point for the other runway extremity, so you are coming downwind. Go around!

You should land in side of runway that windsock cone end point for you, so you landing against the wind.

Same for takeoff.
    Yup, I thnk it was more a case of my being slow on the uptake. I knew what was being explained to me but to tired to intepret it properly lol.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Thanks
    This is a superb set of Airfield charts for CLoD. The price is right! (Free)
    http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/flig...eral/Bases.php

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Thanks, it really helps with airports

now... lets keep trying to land these "Spinfires"