Thread: Good acrobatic plane to start?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Good acrobatic plane to start?

I am having significant difficulties doing the most basic combat maneuvers, I mean, even doing a simple loop or attempting an immelman turn usually ends with my plane spining

So is there an easy plane to learn the ropes? is the Tigermoth good for learning the basics? or maybe BF-109?
    I really would prefer not to use the SU-26M as it is probably going to be too good compared to a WW2 plane

Also, any videos on basic maneuvers? I have found some from Battle of Stalingrad, and probably the physics will be the same

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Re: Good acrobatic plane to start?

Hello Jorge,
    Sounds like u are not managing your airspeed if u are stalling out in an immelman or a loop. U must be high enuff for starters to b able to build enuff airspeed in the dive to carry u thru back to the top for either maneuver.
    It doesn't really matter what plane u choose but I would stay with either a Brit or German fighter as they are what u will b fighting with. Engine management might be a bit easier in a 109 E4 in auto prop pitch mode but it's worth mastering engine management in dives and climbs at some some point. If u can get onto Teamspeak and see if there are any experienced pilots on who can take u thru some basics that would help u a lot. Alternatively u can ask right here in this thread if there is some1 available to give u some 1 on 1 training at a mutually agreed time. There are a lot of great Canadian and US pilots in your time zone.
    Last edited by ATAG_Torian; May-03-2017 at 05:15.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

3. Likes ATAG_Pattle, BOO, ATAG_yotheguy liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Thanks

it indeed looks like I was doing it at inadequate speeds, but I am surprised you need to be at the very max speed limits (+300 mph) to attempt a loop or an immelman
    I mean the max. speed at sea level of a Mk1a Spitfire is 298 mph... so we are talking high altitude and almost max speed to attempt

For requesting 1-to-1; is it as simple as posting a request?

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    139.65 MB

Hey Jorge_S,

The great thing about this sim is that it's so real that you can learn from real life video's, and real life flight training.

This is a good one to start with, but you can search youtube/Google for "flight training", or "WW2 Fighter tactics" and it can be directly applied to CloD.

6. Likes ATAG_Torian, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Either the Spitfire or Hurricane are the easiest to learn with.

8. Likes 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge_S View Post
    For requesting 1-to-1; is it as simple as posting a request?
    Yep, hopefully some1 in your time zone will see this thread or u could just start another with a "Training needed" type title. Make sure u give details of possible times u would b available in your zone. I believe the weather is warming up in your hemisphere now and traditionally the warmer weather means folk are doing less stick time but hang in there, u will get some help.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I am having significant difficulties doing the most basic combat maneuvers, I mean, even doing a simple loop or attempting an immelman turn usually ends with my plane spining

So is there an easy plane to learn the ropes? is the Tigermoth good for learning the basics? or maybe BF-109?
    I really would prefer not to use the SU-26M as it is probably going to be too good compared to a WW2 plane

Also, any videos on basic maneuvers? I have found some from Battle of Stalingrad, and probably the physics will be the same
    The Moth is good for hammerheads (cheers Yo !!) but rolling one is hard work !! Certainly learing combat evasives in one isnt going to be easy. It's a a good place to leant to take off and land.

I'd agree with Buzz that the spit and hurricane are probably the best place.... hurricane rolls faster. Spit glides better. Both are excellent. I have limited experience of the 109. Recreational only.

When I started this I was spinning out all the time. It's totally normal at the start unles yuo are a born natural (which i am not). Panic causes sharp control use, and that results in loss of control very quickly.

stick at it ! Best advise I think (and this is very hard) is to stay relaxed when in combat.

Philstyle posted some excelent videos a while back. first one is here:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...philstyle+tips

I learnt a lot from those. Its all basic stuff, but like many things, perhaps not obvious until you are shown.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Wink Re: Good acrobatic plane to start?

All the aircraft i fly are acrobatic.

They go up, they turn over, they go into a spin, they crash.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

12. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, TURK_Enlem liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Thanks for the advice

in my brief experience, I like the Spitfire 1a a lot more than the Hurricane, it is a bit harder on the take-off and landings, but less roll and a lot easier to manage engine wise, I mean, in the Hurricane I have burn engines just for flying a bit rough, with RPM below 3000; that doesn't happen in the Spitfire, which is also more competitive against the 109

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Tell that to Moose!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Thanks for the advice

in my brief experience, I like the Spitfire 1a a lot more than the Hurricane, it is a bit harder on the take-off and landings, but less roll and a lot easier to manage engine wise, I mean, in the Hurricane I have burn engines just for flying a bit rough, with RPM below 3000; that doesn't happen in the Spitfire, which is also more competitive against the 109
    Wash your mouth out young man.

The Hurricane is the creme de la creme of BoB interceptor aircraft.

The Spitfire is a mere pretender, a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Best wishes,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

16. Likes Jorge_S, 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox, tgif liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Well, I can say that my best/ less horrible take-off and landings had been done in a Hurricane

18. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Well, I can say that my best/ less horrible take-off and landings had been done in a Hurricane
    Same here buddy, in fact my only decent take off's and landings.

Have only been in a Hurricane.

Best wishes,
    Mike.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Curves - setting your stick sensitivity may a bit to help too.

A little bit of deadzone (cheaper sticks or older pots) and the sensitivity at (picks random numbers from memory) 50 elevator, 50 roll and 75 rudder would seem to be a generally good starting point.

I seems to remember Baffin (who knows a thing or two) pointing out the virtues of the Hurri DH520 for learning due its ...er...docile nature.....well - its has to be good for sommat....
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

There's nothing wrong with using the Spit.
    Anything with the constant speed prop like the 1a will take some of the engine management duties off your plate so you can better concentrate on what you're learning.