Thread: Desktop microphone advice please

Mountains of Bulgaria, beaches of Spain and Italy, UK when I have to
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Desktop microphone advice please

Hi guys,

I'm having issues with people not being able to hear me properly on Teamspeak.

I don't like playing with earphones because I need to hear other things going on at home or chat to someone occasionally while playing.

I have game sound and Teamspeak coming through my tv speakers, while I speak into a Speedlink lapel microphone clipped on my chest, under my throat. Mic boost is set to max in Windows audio settings.

I'm guessing that the game sound may be muffling my voice so I'm considering buying a better desktop mic that I can point toward me and away from the tv.

Do any of you use desktop mics or are you all using gaming headsets ? Everybody else sounds fine on Teamspeak....

Some advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    My not so expensive COD rig:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ASRock b75m r2 motherboard - new
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4ghz - used
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - used
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 ram - new
    Samsung 250gb 850 EVO ssd - new
    EVGA 500 B power supply - new
    Thrustmaster T16000m stick - new
    EDTracker - used / DELAN CLIP PS3 CAMERA - new
    CH Gameport Pro Pedals - used

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Re: Desktop microphone advice please

Most folks use headsets...Either 'Over ear' (which makes it difficult to hear anything outside of the PC) ,'On Ear' (usually smaller and allow ambient sound in which would probably be better for you) or 'Closed Back Over-Ear' (same as 'Over Ear' but allowing even less ambient sound in)....I have not heard of anyone using 'In ear' or 'Bud' headphones for CLOD and TS..

Here is an informative webpage with different Headphone types...Bear in mind that a 'Headset' is the same as a set of 'Headphones' with simply a mic attached to them...

http://theroundingsound.com/differen...nes-explained/

I think a lot of folks use the 'On Ear' type of headset if they want to speak to folks in their homes too....Many folks on TS suddenly spark up a conversation with their family members and I'm guessing they use 'On Ear' headsets like I do...

I have heard of some folks using an external speaker and a table mic before but there are issues with them...The mic often pics up the game sound and sends it back to the PC in a loop...like feedback which is not good...The other thing about a desktop mic is that they are made differently to Headset mics in that they pick up more ambient sound...Unlike a headset mic which is localised to only pick up sound within a short distance from itself...if that makes sense...

Here is the ATAG forum 'Headset thread'...Will show you what other folks play with and recommend

Headset Thread

Using a desktop mic and a speaker will be a tricky set up to get working correctly....Your mic needs to be no where near your speaker or it will feedback...and your mic is probably going to have to be set low and close to your mouth too....

The other alternative is a 'Headset Mic' (Just the mic that loops around your ear that doesn't have headphones)...made to pick up your voice when it is only a couple inches from your mouth...That may work for you..

My advice would be that if you want to still use a desktop mic and speaker to experiment without much expense...You can get cheap desktop mics and try one...You don't want to be spending lots of money to find out that the system is too hard to set up...But if that doesn't work then the next option would be a 'Headset Mic'....and if that doesn't work then get an 'On Ear' headset...

...Lew...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; May-07-2017 at 09:16.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

3. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Prey Stalker View Post
    Hi guys,
    Do any of you use desktop mics or are you all using gaming headsets ? Everybody else sounds fine on Teamspeak....

Some advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    I use a desk mic.

Blue Snowball. (There are two variants that look identical one is good. The other is excellent)

I play in headphones. Without headphones i get hideous feedback when using Teamspeak. Not sure why. Possible the proximity of the mic to my speakers.

I could experiment with positioning if you like and confirm.

Edit:

Seems i only get hideous feedback when in the teamspeak test page.

Will confirm tomorrow.

Its a good mic. Three settings. On is directional so focuses on strait where it is pointing. One is surround so will pick up everything in the room... and one is for recording music for when you are laying down metallic unplugged cover tracks.

directional is probably what you are after!
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; May-07-2017 at 10:14.

5. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Thanks guys,

Really good info there.

I've got an old headset mic that's broken so i'm going to try attaching the lapel mic to it. Might be better if it's closer to my mouth, we'll see.

Otherwise, a proper headset mic or a cardioid (directional) desktop mic, like the Blue Snowball, will be on my wishlist.

Appreciate your help

Windows 7 64 bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Blue snowball is great if you need to record a guitar... or want to record a room of folk.

And obviously serves as a good all rounder.

A call centre.... erm i mean.. gaming headset is definatly the most cost effective if you are just concerned with gaming. Even more so if you have a side line in pedalling double glazing.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

8. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    ... or want to record a room of folk.
    And therein lies the problem with desktop mics (even cardioid) when the family/extraneous noise sources are feet away. Great for you - bad for anyone wanting to immerse themselves in the game and not your family conversations/TV viewing/arguments...

When you have choices in the kit you use (some don't and that's fair enough) the consideration of the enjoyment of those you play with should be one of the factors used in deciding what kit is best for the job.

Yours

The PTT fascist
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    And therein lies the problem with desktop mics (even cardioid) when the family/extraneous noise sources are feet away. Great for you - bad for anyone wanting to immerse themselves in the game and not your family conversations/TV viewing/arguments...

When you have choices in the kit you use (some don't and that's fair enough) the consideration of the enjoyment of those you play with should be one of the factors used in deciding what kit is best for the job.

Yours

The PTT fascist
    Yeah, i do know what you mean.

Desk mic for me. But I'm strickly push to talk.

And I dont push to talk if there is anyone else in the room. I mostly fly when everyone else is tucked up safe.

Funniest thing ever was when there was an almighty crash of plates from somebodys kitchen a t leas a room away.... and the distant expletives.

hahah !!!

sometimes the break in immersion is soooo worth it.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

11. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

It's the heavy breathers that make me laugh...

It's like having Darth Vader on your team sometimes.

Don't worry Boo, I use push to talk too

Windows 7 64 bit

13. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I have found that just about any decent "Headset" microphone works well in TeamSpeak. Placement is the key... "Kiss the mic" is the advice that always comes to mind in that you should be able to touch the mic with the side of the mouth when you purse your lips. Otherwise, the noise cancelling feature can not discriminate your voice from ambient sounds in your "Cockpit".

Some of these mics have a headband or you can mount them to a visor/Ball cap with needle and thread. I've tried freestanding desk mics with no success. In all cases, use the "press to talk" feature to avoid unwanted transmissions.

Mine is similar to this... just ignore the headphones:

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=12185217...pp=true&chn=ps
    Last edited by Baffin; May-07-2017 at 19:04.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.