Thread: Compass Lubber Line

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Compass Lubber Line

I prefer to fly the RAF airplanes using the instrument panel without the benefit of the digital and text data (power settings, course setter, etc.). I watched the old WWII movies on RAF navigation to see the pilot carefully setting the course setter and, of course, reading precise heading from the compass and I try to emulate that behavior.

My problem is the inability to read and set the compass since I can't find the "Straight Ahead" index mark, known as the "lubber line" in heading systems I have used. The alternative is the TLAR method (That Looks About Right) to read what looks like right straight ahead.

There must be a Lubber Line somewhere for the pilot to use in reading and setting, but I'm at a loss to find it. Any help?
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

2. Likes Fred Karno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Compass Lubber Line

Russian 3D modeler's - of CloD and DCSW - don't understand why is and for what is that "Lubber Line" in British Compass:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post249101

I've been crying to this be fixed at looooooog time, but look's that is one these things considered not important.

In DCSW Mk.IX the "lubber line" is wrong - fixed to course setter glass and so wrongly turn with then - but at least are a "workaround" under that make P-8 usable.

In CLoD you need rely on that ugly blue "HUD" digital info - that fit "perfectly" in WWII cockpits.
    Last edited by 1lokos; May-13-2017 at 08:52.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

I'm hoping someday they'll release some type of UDP output for motion sims/simpits. Pretty difficult to see unless you make one that's tied into the game. The pixel art, memory-mapped 2nd screens are awesome, but not so flattering towards the ww2ish feel.

I hopped into my model to give you an idea of where it's at. There are two layers of glass. One above the camera, which you can barely see, and one below. The one above rotates with the course setter, the lower glass is fixed to the base (and subsequently the aircraft). The lubber line is painted on the underside of the lower glass, and like 1lokos points out, is fixed solid with the aircraft.

I also have an uploaded model that you can fly around and look at here:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/b82a599...e50d0bc3c54427

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Likes ATAG_Septic, Marco, von Graf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Thanks, Zeb. I'll have to look more closely for it...
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Bump!

8. Likes ATAG_Flare, Bonditaria, Fred Karno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

And keeping the long Russian 3D modeler tradition in "bork" British compasses, GB (Bo'X) Hurricane Mk.II:

Not that in this case the lack of "Lubber Line" make difference, in GB(Bo'X) compass ... follow DG (in their Spit is mirrored)!
    And even have programmed a quick view for the instrument.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

... and why I went to look at this ...

The last hope... wrong again !!!

Puzzling is that there plenty information about this (7:07)

https://youtu.be/NQWZEVaoFKQ?t=427
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-10-2020 at 09:36.

11. Likes deep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    And keeping the long Russian 3D modeler tradition in "bork" British compasses, GB (Bo'X) Hurricane Mk.II: https://simhq.com/forum/images/graem...fault/band.gif
    Well, take just a week for they fix the inverted CS scale of GB (Bo'X) Hurricane Mk.II compass, and as bonus:

16. Hurricane Mk.II compass now has fluorescent needles;