Thread: Excellent day out in Biggin Hill

Mountains of Bulgaria, beaches of Spain and Italy, UK when I have to
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Excellent day out in Biggin Hill

If any of you are ever near Biggin Hill, you must try to visit these places....

Start the day with a hearty English breakfast at the Spitfire Cafe,
    http://www.spitfirecafe.co.uk/

then head on over to the heritage hangar and check out the amazing BoB aircraft,
    https://bigginhillheritagehangar.co.uk/

My Birthday treat was to sit in a Spitfire but, if you've got the cash, they'll take you up in one too !!!

They probably thought I was a bit weird because I was showing a bit too much interest in the single 109 E4 they were working on

IMG_5115.jpg
    Oh, how I love these.

IMG_5182.jpg
    Feels strangely familiar too

Anyway, playing CLOD gave the day out an added buzz and I'm sure any of you who visit will feel that extra special sensation that maybe regular visitors don't get....

I highly recommend a day out there.
    My not so expensive COD rig:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ASRock b75m r2 motherboard - new
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4ghz - used
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - used
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 ram - new
    Samsung 250gb 850 EVO ssd - new
    EVGA 500 B power supply - new
    Thrustmaster T16000m stick - new
    EDTracker - used / DELAN CLIP PS3 CAMERA - new
    CH Gameport Pro Pedals - used

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Excellent day out in Biggin Hill

£800 to crank her up then £1000 per 15 mins of flight or thereabouts. I doubt the operators are doing much more than covering costs and perhaps paying a small wage or two off it either. Just shows how much these things cost to run, insure and maintain....
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

3. Likes Basha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

A belated happy birthday wish from this hemisphere.

What a treat!! Can see you really enjoyed it and really who would not, I'm green with envy.

More people in our current society really need to experience the really small spaces where so many others made huge, and often ultimate sacrifices, for them to be able to honestly appreciate their current freedoms, and understand the written history.

Thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; May-19-2017 at 13:41.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

5. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Yeah happy b-day man! That grin reminds me of when I visited Hendon! I couldn't stop smiling. It was like heaven..

7. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks for sharing this PS....~S~

I love it when folks share pics of themselves too...It about the community here and without the faces its as if we are all anonymous...so great to see you buddy...

I haven't been to Biggin Hill...but I will now I see what they have to offer there...I would be like you fascinated with the 109...We see so many Spits and often hurries too in the UK...but rarely 109s...So that would be the one to check out...We even have a lot of full size fibreglass Spits and Hurris parked or on stands outside of many of the museums too...again, not 109s...

What Mk was the Spit they have there?...and...Was it a flyable that you could sit in?....

...Lew...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

9. Likes ATAG_Torian, PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

For those in the UK, on the Quest TV Channel is a program called Combat Dealers. This Tuesdays episode featured items acquired for Peter Monk and the Heritage Museum at Biggin Hill.

The episode is still available 'On Demand' on the Quest website (http://www.questtv.co.uk/combat-dealers/) for the next 3 days.

For those who have never seen it before the dealer is a chap by the name of Bruce Crompton - what a wonderful job to have!

~S~
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

11. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

This is on my bucket list, for sure!!!!

Great post, PS. And happy belated birthday!

Hey, Lew: you oughta set up a laptop and your Sidewinder stick in a little booth and charge £1 for a 20-minute checkride in a Clod Spit!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

13. Likes PreyStalker, ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Lewis;266903]What Mk was the Spit they have there?...and...Was it a flyable that you could sit in?..../QUOTE]

It looks like a Mk. IX from the cockpit, gun button, and gunsight, but I'm not 100% sure.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Flare;266952]
    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    What Mk was the Spit they have there?...and...Was it a flyable that you could sit in?..../QUOTE]

It looks like a Mk. IX from the cockpit, gun button, and gunsight, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Very Likely Flare - in the site blurb it mentions that it shot down a UH1H, Viggen and L39 Albatross over Normandy........
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Thanks for sharing this PS....~S~

I love it when folks share pics of themselves too...It about the community here and without the faces its as if we are all anonymous...so great to see you buddy...

I haven't been to Biggin Hill...but I will now I see what they have to offer there...I would be like you fascinated with the 109...We see so many Spits and often hurries too in the UK...but rarely 109s...So that would be the one to check out...We even have a lot of full size fibreglass Spits and Hurris parked or on stands outside of many of the museums too...again, not 109s...

What Mk was the Spit they have there?...and...Was it a flyable that you could sit in?....

...Lew...
    Hi Lewis,

I'm like you, i'm curious to see what we look like too. Does Karaya sit there in a Darth Vader suit ? Is YotheGuy actually Clint Eastwood ? Sure sounds like him to me. God knows what DRock looks like ? Gotta say, you always looked approachable....Maybe we could start a new thread with everyone's mug shot.

Back to topic, all the aircraft there are flyable or will be when complete. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it was a mk9 I sat in. It had twin rads and cannons anyway. There were other Spitfire marks there too, maybe they rotate the one used for public seatings. Wealthy individuals own the aircraft and they agree to allow public access as part of the storage and maintenance package offered by the hangar. Bloody good idea I think.

Check out the videos on their site, they'll give you a better idea of what's there than me trying to explain it.

IMG_5206.jpg
    My brother re-living his childhood fantasies

IMG_5106.jpg
    Cheeky snapshot of my virtual office

IMG_5114.jpg
    One for you Lewis, me and my baby !

IMG_5120.jpg
    In case any of you have £2500 going spare

Oh, and many thanks for the belated birthday wishes by the way. I have to admit my birthday was in September and I've only just got round to posting about it. No rush, I like to take my time....
    Windows 7 64 bit

17. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    For those in the UK, on the Quest TV Channel is a program called Combat Dealers. This Tuesdays episode featured items acquired for Peter Monk and the Heritage Museum at Biggin Hill.

The episode is still available 'On Demand' on the Quest website (http://www.questtv.co.uk/combat-dealers/) for the next 3 days.

For those who have never seen it before the dealer is a chap by the name of Bruce Crompton - what a wonderful job to have!

~S~
    Now after watching this, maybe the full English breakfast is not the best idea if you are going to fly in a Spit later...

Thanks for posting this Marco
    Windows 7 64 bit

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    75.70 MB

Thanks for posting!

I noticed an orange triangle on the Spit, left of the cockpit door. That marking was used by Dutch pilots/crew when flying for the RAF. Was that Spitfire flown by a Dutch pilot during WW2 perhaps?

Edit: nope. https://bigginhillheritagehangar.co.uk/spitfire-rw382
    Last edited by Bart_NL; May-20-2017 at 13:13.