Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: DCS Normandy Map and WW2 Assets available May 26th!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Re: DCS Normandy Map and WW2 Assets available May 26th!

So updated (nearly a 4GB update) and had a good run on the ACG WW2 server. Running a 27" monitor @ 1920x1080 off my laptop (specs below) and had very playable 30-40 fps.
    Task Manager indicating about 2.5GB of my 16GB being used by Windows prior to any gaming. During flight never got above 8GB of total RAM being used and cpu nowhere near maxed.
    Didn't run any utility to see what video card usage was as was just wanting to see what RAM usage was.
    Vlerkies post above indicates a lot more RAM usage but his settings are a lot higher than mine. So I guess your mileage may vary the more quality eye candy u want.
    Still, an 8GB rig is definitely gonna struggle it seems. Suppose that is inevitable, just wasn't expecting it so soon.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

So another quick and nasty test, maybe useful.

I just set my res to 1920x1080 as its more common , which is down from the native 2560x1440.
    Then loaded the Spitty freeflight mission and flew a bit with the bog std Low/Medium/High settings that DCS dishes out.

lmh.jpg

As expected you can see Vram and ram increase, gpu and cpu usage increase and fps decrease accordingly.
    This is not a bad thing, for me at least, as it shows the v2.1 using the resources available.

1.5 definitely looks like it doesnt use what is available with lower fps.

Edit, and actually the low settings didnt look half bad. The high settings sucked with flickers and stuff, msaa to high which is an absolute fps hog in 2.1
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Jun-07-2017 at 11:48.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

4. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I had to reinstall 2.0 and found my old 2,8 ghz i7 with gtx 680 could cope really well on medium settings, however I had initial lagg when meeting B 17 bombers. My FPS low level was about 35 to 60 fps and no noticeable stutter. I find it very pleasant that the need for a new Rig is not as imminent that I thought initially.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

I'm running it at 1920x1080 and pretty much all settings maxed with max view distance and it's smooth, but I have 32 Gb of high speed DDR4 RAM. Last time I flew it I kept an eye on my system resources and I was showing up to 16 GB of ram in use constantly while I flew. 16 looks like the new magic number to have!
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

7. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Some Q's:

DCS 2.1 installed nicely. I get an activation error with the mig-21 evry time I start it up, which I ignore ( as in - exit the activation) because it never works. Solution or is this a feature?

Also, not able to fly normandy. (don't own nevada either) Selecting quick mission, it gets to the loading page then quickly returns to the main menu. Normandy is activated (did it twice!) but no serial number shows up in the module manager. The install did this all automatically sort of - it popped up a window to install all my modules shortly after starting DCS and I did d/l them all and only the assets pack and normandy terrain required serial #s which I entered accordingly from my dcs backers page info. Is the terrain not flyable from quick missions or something? Do I still need to run the installs using the CMD/dos method as with the earlier posts in this thread?

Got some severe lightning happening so I'm shutting down with no time to dig up answers elsewhere, any help much appreciated...

~S~

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

no promises Freya but have you tried you tried repairing the install and, if you went from 2.0 to 2.1 deleting the My games/DCS Open Alpha folder to let the game rebuild the shader folder (I think you can just delete that folder tbh)
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Freya View Post
    Some Q's:

DCS 2.1 installed nicely. I get an activation error with the mig-21 evry time I start it up, which I ignore ( as in - exit the activation) because it never works. Solution or is this a feature?

Also, not able to fly normandy. (don't own nevada either) Selecting quick mission, it gets to the loading page then quickly returns to the main menu. Normandy is activated (did it twice!) but no serial number shows up in the module manager. The install did this all automatically sort of - it popped up a window to install all my modules shortly after starting DCS and I did d/l them all and only the assets pack and normandy terrain required serial #s which I entered accordingly from my dcs backers page info. Is the terrain not flyable from quick missions or something? Do I still need to run the installs using the CMD/dos method as with the earlier posts in this thread?

Got some severe lightning happening so I'm shutting down with no time to dig up answers elsewhere, any help much appreciated...

~S~
    At work but will check when I get home. From memory, my map shows activation number, but the asset pack not.
    I had an issue activating, but sorted it with that DCS updater tool very quickly. edit, mine also shows no key when i try highlight now, weird, but its working
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Jun-09-2017 at 08:09.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Freya
    If you havent played the dcs in a while this might be your Mig21 problem.
    I saw this long before I updated, then forgot and updated, and it cost me an activation, no biggy.

DCS advised before the time of a potential issue but I got caught out like quite a few others.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185325

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go again today and see what happens...I don't have a my games/dcs open alpha folder for starters, and yes Vlerkies I haven't flown DCS in a while! The Mig was working couple months ago. Strange happenings, hope I don't lose my mig21! Wouldn't be the end of the world. Frustrating though! I'll keep at it

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go again today and see what happens...I don't have a my games/dcs open alpha folder for starters, and yes Vlerkies I haven't flown DCS in a while! The Mig was working couple months ago. Strange happenings, hope I don't lose my mig21! Wouldn't be the end of the world. Frustrating though! I'll keep at it
    Good luck, and fear not you wont lose your Mig, maybe an activation which is easily preventable by deactivating first before you mess with things, actually I recommend that for safety sake. If you are going to uninstall/reinstall anything, first deactivate whatever paid modules you have.
    Then you loose zero activations.

Let us know how you get on.
    Frustrating when things just dont work, but you need to treat these instals completely separately, at least for now, its a pain, but I think maybe in 2 weeks we will have a unified instal. hehe
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Jun-09-2017 at 10:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Roger that, thank you. Even 1.5.688 (?-the latest one I think) won't open at all now.. I read at ED that the latest nvid drivers install some needed redist stuff for 2.1 so maybe it's worth a shot. I'll give that a whirl. 2 weeks can't happen fast enough lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Whatever the latest version is is found here on post #1
    https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Jun-09-2017 at 14:12.

16. Likes ATAG_Freya, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Also useful to see your version installed once you pointed the app to the respective instal folder.

18. Likes ATAG_Freya, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

All up to date

Solved the release build prob - had to delete headtracker.dll - not sure what I'll do about freetrack but I haven't dug into it yet. Still got to get time to update nvid drivers to see if that does anything for the alpha. Skatezillas app is great! Thanks for showing that, I should have had that in a loooonnng time ago. Hope to get things working this eve sometime. Fingers crossed..

20. Likes Vlerkies, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

OK the deed is done, got the release build working. Turns out the 'create fast mission' is a buggy thing, got Flare's mission to run (I feel stupid about that one ). Opentrack cured my heatracking woes on both versions, and I'm up and running. Now, the journey begins to find some good NCP settings because this map is looking terrible with whatever my current settings are. Another day though...

Thanks Vlerkies for your guidance. Love that bike on your desktop too!

22. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Love that bike on your desktop too!

Meet Penelope, shes beautiful . Not quite mine just yet but I am working on it. Maybe in a few months.

Last edited by Vlerkies; Jun-10-2017 at 09:38.

24. Likes farley, ATAG_Freya, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've just spent the entire weekend with Rift stuck to my face, just sightseeing Normandy. No weapons, just full fuel loads to burn off in my hog. It really is pretty mind blowing. 5AM, cloudless sky, 300ft AGL and 200kts is the sweet spot for me.
    Intel I9 9900K at 5.0 Ghz. Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra Motherboard. 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM. EVGA G3 PSU. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC. Thermaltake flo riing360 water cooler. 1TB Corsair M.2 NVMe boot drive. I TB Seagate hybrid mass storage drive. HP Reverb. TM Warthog HOTAS. MFG Crosswind pedals.

26. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Freya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Nice! I haven't got a brick to strap to my face, but I'm impressed with this alpha. Made my heart smile to pull up along side some B-17s in a stang. The years ahead look good indeed!

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

"years" - yup!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Getting freeze frames, hourglass symbol and microstutters on Normandy since the last update. Looks like they messed something up. Seems to be related to dynamic objects sucking up RAM. I updated my RAM to 24gb, but this failed to cure it.
    Intel I9 9900K at 5.0 Ghz. Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra Motherboard. 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM. EVGA G3 PSU. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC. Thermaltake flo riing360 water cooler. 1TB Corsair M.2 NVMe boot drive. I TB Seagate hybrid mass storage drive. HP Reverb. TM Warthog HOTAS. MFG Crosswind pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I'm still working on getting this Normandy Map to look as good as the DCS screenshots. Tried all kinds of combinations of video settings both ingame, in Nvidia's Control Panel, and Nvidia Inspector. All efforts at native 1080p, but no joy in getting the almost-photo realism that I see in the DCS screenies. What I DO get are grid-like artefacts in the water (at times), shimmering tree shadows, trees that are too light in colour when flying at altitude, etc etc etc with all/most video settings turned up high.

It's a work-in-progress.
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Jun-28-2017 at 18:07.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkicker View Post
    Getting freeze frames, hourglass symbol and microstutters on Normandy since the last update. Looks like they messed something up. Seems to be related to dynamic objects sucking up RAM. I updated my RAM to 24gb, but this failed to cure it.
    I'm not getting those probs since update. 2.1 does utilise a lot of page file, 16Gb on my rig, which means u need to make sure u have plenty of hard drive space available for both DCS and Windows to be able to move stuff around freely. Might not b the problem but worth mentioning. It's also pretty GPU VRAM hungry too. My vid card has 8GB and it uses all of it. Any network issues ? Updates or other downloads or family using bandwidth ?

@ Snapper.... yes I think we need to remember it's still technically an alpha release. Still some cartooney looking stuff IMO but as u say it's a WIP so I expect there will be improvements.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

32. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    85.88 MB

Finally gave this a go last week almost 3 years after chipping in on kickstarter!

Here's my 2nd (favorite so far) screenshot. I've just ordered a new GTX 1080 because of DCS 2.x
    Attached Images Attached Images

34. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873.48 MB

Last edited by LARRY69; Aug-26-2017 at 15:39.
    http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r739/larry691/GZ-H%201_zpsdphexiii.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Looks really nice Larry.
    Can I ask a question?
    Were the frame-rate stutters due to the graphics settings, your machine or encoding?

Not sure if you have seen this link but someone created a 39 aircraft B-17 formation (to download) so maybe a few more skins could be added by you?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tion-Available

Cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

37. Likes LARRY69, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873.48 MB

Thanks Mysticpuma,

I`ll download the mission and have look.

The shutters are from the game. I `ve got a solid system with my PC (4K, Nividia GTX1080, highest settings in CLOD and runs like warm butter). I have to say as well, the YT video dosen`t give back the quallity I`ve got by far! I still in the learning process (my second video). And theres still a few bugs in the game too.

Cheers

Larr (-isa)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    509.15 MB

Mysticpuma- the link you provided appears to be for a FSX mission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    85.88 MB

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY69 View Post
    My first DCS Skin I made for the B-17.
    I can't wait to get some great new skins for the Boeing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkicker View Post
    I had the same issue and based on the posts in the ED forum felt it was the dynamic objects. But I found out the stutters for me had to do with my thrice-cursed gtx1070 SLI setup. When I disabled my custom NVIDIA profile for DCS the stutters went away and SLI seems to work anyway.

Might want to disable the DCS profile if you have an NVidia card, even if you don't have an SLI setup. Download NVIDIA Inspector and use it to disassociate "run.exe" and "dcs.exe" from the default DCS profile, which I believe is called "Digital Combat Simulator Black Shark". Then launch the game and see if it runs better. If so...great! If not, just reassociate the two files to the BS profile and no harm done.
    Vae Victis!

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight." - Sun Tzu

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873.48 MB

B-17G, 457th Bomb Group, "El-Lobo II"

Last edited by LARRY69; Aug-26-2017 at 15:40.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast