Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For when we get TF 5.0 - how will it be sold?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

For when we get TF 5.0 - how will it be sold?

Was just thinking about the eventual TF 5.0 release and I was wondering how it would be sold.

Obviously the patch will include the following:

1) "Base game" upgrades like textures, effects, FM and DM changes, and bug fixes.

2) New flyable aircraft such as the Wellington, the Bf 109 F, and the Spitfire Mk. V.

3) The Tobruk theatre.

Now, one could simply charge for the whole deal, but I think that would be a bit unfair as most of the servers would switch to TF5, then anyone who just buys the game for $10 on steam would also have to buy the whole patch to play multiplayer, let alone get access to the latest bug fixes. I'm sure that lots of players would be upset if even those were locked behind a pay wall. I think that the most logical path is that the bug fixes and "base game" upgrades should probably just come as a patch that will just automatically download through steam to whoever owns Cliffs of Dover.

However there's still the question of what will come with whatever is paid for. Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban has a pretty good solution - what you pay for is the planes, and access to the new maps in singleplayer. However, in multiplayer all the theatres are available to everyone so you never get locked out of a server and the community doesn't get split. You can still only fly the planes you own though, so if you don't buy the pack you're stuck with the say TF 4.5 plane-set. (If this is the direction taken I guess a decision would have to be made for what planes would be paid for and which ones would be available for anyone who has the game.)

What would you guys prefer for a buying method? Something similar to this suggestion? Something like Rise of Flight where you pay a few bucks for each individual plane? Something totally different?

Flare

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Re: For when we get TF 5.0 - how will it be sold?

The whole chunk like the old days in IL-2

3. Likes Vlerkies, Dai-San liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Lock the map and aircraft behind a paying wall, but open up the 5.0 Aircraft for the channel map. so that 109 F/Spit Mk5 can be flown together on the Channelmap by people owning 5.0 and by people that Dont ^^

Edit: going by the dislikes, i am not sure if i said this clearly. I envisioned a system quite close to BoS, just without Tobruk for the non owners
    Last edited by Hyperus; Oct-21-2017 at 04:16.

5. Likes ATAG_Flare, SD_MBen liked this post
    Dislikes Vlerkies, Dai-San disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    The whole chunk like the old days in IL-2
    Even the actual patch itself?

That doesn't really seem logical to me. I own CloD, so I should be allowed to play the most recent update with the latest bug-fixes and changes.

I'm willing to pay for content such as planes and maps, but I personally don't feel that charging for a game patch is a good idea.

7. Likes Fresh Giant, No.401_Wolverine liked this post
    Dislikes Dai-San disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    159.78 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post

for $10 on steam

Flare
    Seems to me like a pittance. Those who just spend the tenner on steam... even if you can just fly SP it's still a bargain. TF should charge what they think is reasonable for the patch and let it go at that. Have you priced DCS modules lately? Or BoX?

9. Likes Dai-San liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

We expect 1C to sell it as a DLC... which will be patched onto CoD 4.5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Even the actual patch itself?

That doesn't really seem logical to me. I own CloD, so I should be allowed to play the most recent update with the latest bug-fixes and changes.

I'm willing to pay for content such as planes and maps, but I personally don't feel that charging for a game patch is a good idea.

I meant to say the whole 5.0 patch. Not a plane here and plane there like DCS does it. Sorry should have been more clear.
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Oct-21-2017 at 03:01.

12. Likes Dai-San liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    495 Bytes

Please, please, please just keep to the most simple and sensible method of delivery.

You already have CLOD and don't want to pay? then stick to 4.9 and fly with a dwindling community on less and less available servers.

You don't mind paying for all TF's hard work and dedication? Buy (For whatever TF decide is a fair price) 5.0 and enjoy CLOD in all it's new glory.

Just no Micro transactions, per plane purchases or any of that complicated crap that stops me playing other games.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Just please dont make it 50€, so we stundents can upgrade without having to sell our organs!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm happy to pay $ for 5.0 ... and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a flyable defiant ..... just say'in ...

((( Ryzen 5 - 3600X CPU @ 3.8 GHz )))
    ((( MSI GForce GTX 1080 Gaming X )))
    ((( 32 G Ram )))
    ((( Win 10 professional 64 )))
    ((( Samsung 4K monitor )))

varrattu

Madonna's comment: Only boys who save their pennies make my rainy day ...

~V~

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'd find a price ranging from 15 to 30 bucks reasonable. But please, one of the main reasons i dont play BoS is their 50$ price tag, In CLoD tho I would probably buy it anyways.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

In terms of CloD 5.0 I'd be happy to pay a premium price, as for me it will be a new game and the hard work that will have gone into it should be rewarded. But would prefer a one off cost rather than it be modular like certain other flight sims.

19. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have no problem paying full price for a patch. We need to take into account:

1. The huge amount of time put into raising the bar on this simulation
    2. No other simulation is supported for free, years beyond it's release
    3. If the 5.0 release is a financial success then more will follow. If not then we may never reach its full potential.

I'd like to see more opportunity for us to compensate the team, they've worked a miracle with CLOD and are keeping the dream alive.
    I too like a simple one-off cost, rather than paying for features.

21. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Personally, I would prefer Rimmers' all in one suggestion.

But as far as I know, the whole discussion, suggesting and wishing is somewhat academic.
    TFS stated several times that distribution and pricing policy is all up to 1C.
    They don't have a say in it. That was part of the agreement.

@Maru
    That's quite an interesting idea. I could use a couple of new eyeballs

23. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperus View Post
    I'd find a price ranging from 15 to 30 bucks reasonable. But please, one of the main reasons i dont play BoS is their 50$ price tag, In CLoD tho I would probably buy it anyways.
    We're getting off topic, but with frequent 50% sales lately the BoS/BoM is getting quite affordable. They've got a 50% promo running now If I'm not mistaken and I admit I'm somewhat tempted to give it a go.

Anyway, as DerDa reminded, we can discuss here all we want, but eventually, only 1C will decide.

25. Likes Kestrel liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

[QUOTE=Art-J;285434]We're getting off topic, but with frequent 50% sales lately the BoS/BoM is getting quite affordable. They've got a 50% promo running now If I'm not mistaken and I admit I'm somewhat tempted to give it a go.

Anyway, as DerDa reminded, we can discuss here all we want, but eventually, only 1C will decide.[/QUOTE

Sadly you are right I just hope that enough buy 5.0 so we can get 6.0 with Fockes

27. Likes ElGringo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Just please dont make it 50€, so we stundents can upgrade without having to sell our organs!
    Organs?!

When I was a student we were so poor all we could afford were castanets. One each. And we had to meet up with other like minded castanetists if we wanted to jam.
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Oct-21-2017 at 09:56.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Personally, I would prefer Rimmers' all in one suggestion.

But as far as I know, the whole discussion, suggesting and wishing is somewhat academic.
    TFS stated several times that distribution and pricing policy is all up to 1C.
    They don't have a say in it. That was part of the agreement.

@Maru
    That's quite an interesting idea. I could use a couple of new eyeballs

Me too. The pay up front model would be my preference.

I'd also more than happily shell out £50.

Will wait and see....

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

30. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    73.08 MB

Just need some new aircraft for the channel map, like the non-trop 109F2/4, Spit V and Hurricane II as early pre-5.0 chargeable DLC for 1941 channel war. This will breathe new life into the channel map and give TFS a good stream of cash to continue work on 5.0. They can then charge a decent price for 5.0 DLC. Everyone wins I think.

32. Likes sw1ive, 7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

I will stick with 4.5!
    I like the map and Mk's of the aircraft, 1939-40!
    (I don't play that much online!)
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Flight sim "community" is already small and take all opportunities to fragment in small chucks... "I don't like 'this race' planes", "I find fly over "xyz" boring"... so sell individually new planes and/or new maps is not good idea.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Oct-21-2017 at 16:26.

35. Likes Dai-San, Fresh Giant, Poltava liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.5 KB

What about an annual fee license, like 10-20 $/year ?

37. Dislikes Woop, Dai-San, Lythronax, Fresh Giant, Kestrel disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

I do not mind paying top dollar to the team that has effectively resurrected this sim from a still born state to one of new found glory.

Everyones circumstances are different I suppose, I just look at the amount of money I have spent on DCS over the years, just cant help myself on some of the modules and I very rarely fly any of them these days.
    CoD is the only sim I purposefully try and make time for, and it just gets better and better with TFS input.
    Personal view is the whole thing should just be a package, like the old IL2 expansion packs and priced accordingly.
    It brings a completely new theater and multiple airframes.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Oct-21-2017 at 11:37.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

39. Likes Woop, Dai-San, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Wow, I seem to have started one heck of a thread. Lots of opinions for sure. How exactly was it done in the old IL2 days? For instance if I owned IL2, and Forgotten Battles or Pacific Fighters came out (with new content like planes and maps but also general game updates), if I didn't buy Forgotten Battles or Pacific Fighters, could I not play multiplayer on the regular IL2 maps on the latest version with people who bought the new expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    We expect 1C to sell it as a DLC... which will be patched onto CoD 4.5.
    When you say patched on to 4.5 do you mean that to have the latest update and bug fixes one needs to buy the DLC? Like if we don't buy the patch we are stuck on 4.5?

Quote Originally Posted by II.JG1_Vonrd View Post
    Seems to me like a pittance. Those who just spend the tenner on steam... even if you can just fly SP it's still a bargain. TF should charge what they think is reasonable for the patch and let it go at that. Have you priced DCS modules lately? Or BoX?
    The thing is though if I go on Steam and purchase CloD for however much it costs, I expect to have the full functionality of the game available to me. Not necessarily all the content but I should be able to fly in SP, MP, Co-op, or whatever, with anyone else who owns the game. Then I can buy the DLC and get access to additional planes, maps, etc. (And I'd be happy to pay $50 for that.)

I'm going to buy the DLC regardless, but I would probably be upset if any developer of any game tried to charge just for a patch that fixes bugs and generally updates the game without any extra content. All that does is splits the community even more.

I'm not trying to attack anyone here with this thread. I understand it's quite a hot topic and it's interesting to see other opinions.

Flare

41. Likes Vlerkies, ATAG_kiwiflieger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

I'm going to buy the DLC regardless, but I would probably be upset if any developer of any game tried to charge just for a patch that fixes bugs and generally updates the game without any extra content. All that does is splits the community even more.
    Well it's not just a patch, its TF5.0, and the sooner TFS defines that with a name as a exp patch the better imho.
    If you buy v1.0 of a game, over time the game moves on (thx TFS). You are quite welcome to stay with your purchase or add to it with additional bits and bobs/expansion packs/etc.
    It's the way IL2 has always worked. Strewth just look at Arma and the addons required to play online on most servers these days.
    With something like this exp it changes the dynamic a lot. Its not a vanilla game patch anymore.

This is really an expansion pack of sorts, the desert theater, that brings more than just bug fixes to the table.
    Maybe some nitty gritty core stuff will be changed/improved as a result in the 4.3v because of it though, but in general everyone moves forward.
    And anyway, why bother about 4.3 when 4.5/5.0 and beyond is right there.
    Folks that like 4.3 and enjoy it as it is can choose for themselves surely?

They will be in the minority though for sure as most will move ahead, online or offline, for the new content.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Oct-21-2017 at 15:00.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Not really fussed about the pricing or methodology to be honest. I feel I owe TF (now TFS) a bunch of cash for all the fun ive had already (for free in essence)

Ill be glad to finally be able to pay them something

S!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Bottom line:

TF 4.5 will be provided for free.

TF 5.0 will be sold at an as yet unspecified cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dave View Post
    Not really fussed about the pricing or methodology to be honest. I feel I owe TF (now TFS) a bunch of cash for all the fun ive had already (for free in essence)

Ill be glad to finally be able to pay them something

S!
    Exactly how I feel.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

46. Likes Vlerkies, ATAG_Soldat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Exactly how I feel.

Yep that’s about says it all

48. Likes Vlerkies, ATAG_Soldat liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast