Thread: I need some direction in my life!

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I need some direction in my life!

Hullo

Ill try not to make this too long.

My current set up is very much a fold away one. I play in my living room on my TV and have no space for second monitors etc. One issue I run up against (especially in the Blenheim) is the compass and so I want to have a slimmed down version of virtual cockpit on something that I can fix to my wheel stand pro.

The obvious choice is a 7" second monitor but I'm nervous about running dual screens. The ideal for me would be to run the compass output from the game onto my Android phone. Can this be done and how?

EDIT - seems it can but it also seems most apps for this are crap!

If not - do I need to worry about dual screens and is there a "best" way to set them up?

Thanks

BOO
    Last edited by BOO; Jun-23-2017 at 03:35.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Re: I need some direction in my life!

You have track ir? You can just read your heading at a quick glance of the compass. It's not that complicated just a bit of practice. It's not that precise but you don't really need to split the heading in two, you are flying at around 3 or 4 miles per minute and your VFR looking outside your heading would be an average anyways, and the good news is that you can use that money you save into something better
    Last edited by ATAG_((dB)); Jun-23-2017 at 05:23.
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

3. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Unless there is a better way of doing it of which I'm unaware, I'd advise against running VC on a phone or tablet. I tried this and it worked alright at first. I quickly discovered that once I was flying around other players that things would get "rubber bandy" and once I was in or about to enter combat I'd get massive lag, as in whole seconds, and I'd appear to be warping all over the sky. My understanding of this is that with such a setup you're streaming a fat chunk of data twice over your network (from your PC to your router, router to your device) as well as trying to exchange packets with the game server.

Obviously YMMV, but from my experience it didn't work at all for me. IMO the little 7" lilliput screens are also terribly expensive for what they are. I know it wouldn't work with what you intend, but I ended up buying a second-hand 24" widescreen monitor for £45. Of course you might be able to find something much smaller, second-hand for even less money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I have a small cheap monitor minus its stand laid flat on my desk with the compass on it piped in via VC.

when I first did this I could see pretty much nothing as my cheapo monitor was not IPS.... i hadnt considered the possible issue of viewing angle when i decided to try this

fortunately turning it through 180 degres and looking at it from "the bottom" works fine.

definatley worth bareing this in mind though as it could very easily have turned out to be a waste of my hard earned £10 note.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_((dB)) View Post
    You have track ir? You can just read your heading at a quick glance of the compass. It's not that complicated just a bit of practice. It's not that precise but you don't really need to split the heading in two, you are flying at around 3 or 4 miles per minute and your VFR looking outside your heading would be an average anyways, and the good news is that you can use that money you save into something better
    hes on ED tracker... so he wont see it well at all.

i find seeing the compas is a pain with Track IR even. Its certainly possible but not exactly a smooth opperation.

cool thing with how i have my small sreen set up is that iuts flat on the desk behind my stick... so same as in teh cockpit... i have to look aroudnb the stick in real life to see it... but its smoother and more accurate than track IR !!

Initially I wanted to use a screen off and old notebook.... but turning one of those into a spare monitor isnt as simple as i had hoped.

the setup i have now is pretty good.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Thanks all,

if I do got for VC (it killed my frames when I last tried it about 18month ago but i only had a ickle GPU then and an old Core 2 processor), ill try a cheapo monitor - the lilliputs are nice but way over the spec I need for VC. I only want the compass so a 7 inch screen will do.

Seas is right - i use the EDtracker so seeing the compass especially in a blenni is a PITA (yes i know there is another one in the nose) - having then to work out headings off just adds to mess.

I just dropped £160 of RAM this month so i aint going high brow - something cheap and nasty will prove or disprove the concept.

Thanks again!!

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Sure would be nice if there was a way that TF could add "Glance at compass" to the controls (hint, hint) like the "glance at dashboard" that we have now.

I certainly would not consider that a cheat.

I have no idea of how difficult it would be to add that to CLoD.

I only know how difficult it is for me to get my shoes on the correct feet before heading out in the morning.......

I set up my tablet wirelessly to put the compass on it, but for whatever reason, it really brought down the FPS, so i stopped (did the whole thing twice to confirm).
    It sure was nice to have it though.

In terms of needing some direction in your life BOO, that's a tough one.... i want to say follow your heart, but, well, that thing will drag you all over the place. Think it best if we sit and talk about that over a few beer or rye, or similar....
    Last edited by farley; Jun-23-2017 at 08:33.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

9. Likes DOWNEAST liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    264.29 MB

I also have a very fold away setup right now, and place a premium on minimizing/eliminating cables. I am currently using spacedesk Beta (free app and pc driver) to connect my android phone as a 2nd monitor via wifi for VC. I started doing this just for the compass, but I couldn't find a way to make the compass any larger in VC than it is with all the instruments up, so I have them all running now.

It mostly works, and my FPS doesn't really suffer, but it's not foolproof. If I accidentally minimize the app on my phone it shuts down the monitor connection, and VC goes nuts with errors. If I don't restart VC within about a minute of this happening, my computer crashes. The spacedesk app and/or driver will also just randomly fail occasionally. That said, I go days at a time with it working flawlessly.

For me, one less cable makes it worthwhile with my current needs. However, I'll be trying more traditional and stable configurations as soon as possible.
    Last edited by 69th_Bazzered; Jun-23-2017 at 13:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Some time ago I gave this a whirl, worked fine, anyone still using it these days?
    Android app for instruments, used to run it on my tablet. Was nice but really didn't need it.

You would need to fly for the dark side though, dont think miaig did for the allies.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...t=15997&page=2

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.mihaig.bf109

Edit: seems its works for some of the RAF ad well.
    Instruments panel for the Bf 109 and Spitfire for Il2-Cliffs of Dover and for the Bf 109 and Fw 190 for Digital Combat Simulator.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Jun-23-2017 at 14:46.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

12. Likes Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Sure would be nice if there was a way that TF could add "Glance at compass" to the controls (hint, hint) like the "glance at dashboard" that we have now.
    And why do you not add it as a feature request to the bugtracker? That's what it's for, you know?
    :-)

Link: https://tfbt.nuvturais.de/projects/il2clodtf

14. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    And why do you not add it as a feature request to the bugtracker? That's what it's for, you know?

Link: https://tfbt.nuvturais.de/projects/il2clodtf
    Well Artist, that is a fair question.
    I guess i "assume" that it has been added by a hundred others already.

But maybe i should just do that!

Thanks for spoon feeding me the link.....
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

16. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

ickle monitor on the Amazon stork with an extra five pound note stuffed up its loop for delivery tomorrow and cut down versions of vc for the P8 compass, the 110 and 88/111 all ready. I lubs new toys!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Cool!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

19. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

might just keep em in test mode.

Spinny......shiney.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    might just keep em in test mode.

Spinny......shiney.......
    Like disco lights. I might get a glitterball.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

22. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

the numbers on the dieal go round and round, round and round, round and round
    The numbers on the dials go round and round, all...day..long..

Jeesh I'm bored with trying to find stuff to do now........I WANNA FLY GDI!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Hahaha!

Stoopid earphones!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals