Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Historically Correct "Smoke" tracers for RAF aircraft?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Historically Correct "Smoke" tracers for RAF aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    The corkscrewing is most likely from vortices generated by wing structures
    Looks that you are confusing "Apple and Oranges, this videos/screenshots show "corkscrew" in (phosphor) smoke from bullets, not from wing/wingtips (what .303 bullets don't have).

https://youtu.be/mjjg8lR1yt8?t=24

The Zeppelin video above show how are generated.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-23-2019 at 13:36.

2. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

YYYYEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Hats off to Team Fusion for incorporating these awesome smoke tracers into the sim. I've wanted this for years - thanks so much guys.

SMOKE TRACERS!!!!!.jpg

One thing I noticed, the german rear gunners were shooting smoke tracers as well. Did the german MG tracers have the smoke trails as well in real life? Cool stuff.

Just hopefully we still have some regular no smoke tracers available for the RAF for when 5.0 comes out and we'll be flying 1941 scenarios where RAF smoke tracers had been phased out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Loving them too.

And 1941 is two weeks away at best...

So plenty of time to enjoy what we have right now in good old 1940.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

These smoke tracers look great, good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Looks that you are confusing "Apple and Oranges, this videos/screenshots show "corkscrew" in (phosphor) smoke from bullets, not from wing/wingtips (what .303 bullets don't have).

The Zeppelin video above show how are generated.
    Bullets/projectiles are ballistic. They don't corkscrew along a ballistic flight path. By wing structures, I meant all protrusions from the wing... with bullets impacting, there are quickly a whole lot of vortex generators created by deformed metal and wrecked propellers. If tracer was designed to corkscrew, wouldn't they all show this behavior?

However, I defer to rel4y 's experience. If he says he has witnessed spiral smoke when fired out of a rifle barrel, who am I to disagree? I must admit that it's a very peculiar design characteristic, though...
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-23-2019 at 10:41. Reason: Deference
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Bullets/projectiles are ballistic. They don't corkscrew along a ballistic flight path. By wing structures, I meant all protrusions from the wing... with bullets impacting, there are quickly a whole lot of vortex generators created by deformed metal and wrecked propellers. If tracer was designed to corkscrew, wouldn't they all show this behavior?

I defer to rel4y 's experience. If he says he has witnessed spiral smoke when fired out of a rifle barrel, who am I to disagree? I must admit that it's a very peculiar design characteristic, though...
    The smoke comes out the side of the bullet. The bullet is spinning. Seems right to me that the smoke trail would corkscrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Bullets/projectiles are ballistic. They don't corkscrew along a ballistic flight path.
    Why weapons like WWII era machine guns have an helical riffling grooves in their barrels?

9. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

You could technically make a case for wear and damage on top of the rifling already in the barrels. They spiral even more if the bullet gets damaged as seen in the video below. You also wouldn't know what condition the barrel rifling and the receivers were in at the time, as tips could get damaged as they were being fed.

Given Relay's description of how the bullet was destabilized in flight by phosphorous, the photos shown, and the above video, it all seems legit.
    Last edited by 69th_Zeb; Jan-22-2019 at 23:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    The smoke comes out the side of the bullet. The bullet is spinning. Seems right to me that the smoke trail would corkscrew.
    Interesting discussion point. I sense that the bullet spins much too fast for this to happen. My .30 Caliber rifles usually have a twist of about one turn per 12". This translates to about 3 revolutions per yard, which would create a visual "cylinder" as opposed to a "corkscrew" looking trace. Regarding the flight path... we're looking at the vented WP smoke, not the bullet. What's happening in serviceable tracer bullets is not what happens in the deformed bullets in Zeb's very interesting video. No manufacturer would ever intentionally design tracers to actually fly differently from the projectiles it is supposed to be tracing! I tend to go with rel4y's personal observation on this visual effect. It's hard to explain why this happens, and harder to explain why the manufacturer would ever intentionally design tracers this way. Since later tracers were designed with an axial vent trail, not a side vent, they might have been correcting the earlier error!
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-23-2019 at 12:03.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

I think that's the point though. The phosphorus exiting the side of the bullet would create differential pressure to produce the same effect.

By the way, I have no say on any of this within TF, I just find the discussion interesting. Does the same effect happen with 303 ball?
    Last edited by 69th_Zeb; Jan-23-2019 at 14:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Why weapons like WWII era machine guns have an helical riffling grooves in their barrels?
    To gyroscopically stabilize the projectile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Zeb View Post
    I think that's the point though. The phosphorus exiting the side of the bullet would create differential pressure to produce the same effect.
    Good point... but is it enough pressure to matter? Lead bullets are pretty dense... I ask rel4y: When you fired tracer in your rifler, was the accuracy significantly reduced? Did the group shift down?

It seems to me that Zeb's pressure issue would lead to "Key Holing" at tracer burnout. Most of us have seen this on the range when a bullet hole in the target is oblong instead of round. It increases drag, therefore drop, but not a lot of windage error is necessarily induced... the bullet just tries to fly sideways, so the ballistic coefficient quickly goes south.

Great discussion! Is this horse dead yet?
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-23-2019 at 12:04.

15. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

To gyroscopically stabilize the projectile.
    ... and:

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Yeah I think the effect would be similar to tumbling except that the bullet point would be ahead and not head over heels. Bullet tumble would be undesirable.

18. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    660.92 MB

The bullets are perfectly accurate. The white phospherous burns pretty violently and a flame/gas shoots out of the little hole with significant initial velocity. So the bullet itself goes straight (obviously normal gyroscopic precession), but the flame pushes the smoke further out of the flightpath so it creates the pronounced spiral effect which widens over time.

like I said earlier, the hole is placed in the mass plane so it will not tumble and the orthogonal forces to the bullet direction are not enough to overpower spin stabilization.
    Last edited by rel4y; Jan-23-2019 at 17:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

As is "norm" in CloD - change there, a unwanted change appear here, Spit machine guns don't produce more visible fire when bullets leave barrel, instead an (weird) vortex of smoke in barrel tip.

https://youtu.be/BaHZuqgtabY?t=31

So far, so good, firing effect in games is usually overdone.

In 4.50+ the "new" fire looks a bit out of place in machine guns - visible if no tracers belts is used:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1667527482

This movie frame only smoke is visible in barrel tips.

https://youtu.be/gj7z2UI6ZV8?t=293
    Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-26-2019 at 11:53.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12