Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warps, Disconnects, Disappearing planes from stock...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    95.3 KB

Re: TWC Campaign Server

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    Ill check with Fatal today mate.
    All sorted it seems Sp00k, cheers
    CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2GHz Kaby Lake overclocked to 4.60GHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero -Z Intel Z97 (Socket 1151)
    RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Dual 3000Mhz, GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X 11Gb GDDR5X, OS: Windows 10
    SSD: Samsung M2 EVO 500Gb, Joystick: Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Monitor: ASUS PG348Q and TrackIR5

Supporting Member No.119_Viper (VK-S)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    214.38 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_yotheguy View Post
    I haven't had much time to fly with I think one sortie since the start, but I would be up for switching to blue.

I picked red because I though it would give me a chance to fly with a wimgman when I was able to jump on.

I hate to see uneven numbers, I find it lessens the fun on both sides.

Hi Yo, should you find yourself at a loose end and on your own, due to time and real life restraints on your availability to fly, then give us a shout, You will be more than welcome to wing up with 119th Sqn (The Few), we currently have a complement of five pilots, so with your inclusion we could fly 3 lots of 2, problem solved

Viper

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Fatal I do see your point...but the hardest part of running a successful 24-7 mission is having balanced side the majority of the time. In Blastos post where it was 14-4 in favor of Reds is the way it is 85% of the time in the NA timezones. To me it seems like it's going to become a who can hit the other the hardest while the other isn't on.. instead of a 24-7 battlefield. Having some of us NA guys switch to Blue seems logical to keep the server balanced as long as possible? Don't ya think? Just an observation. I'm loving the campaign no matter what route you take! S!

Besides I see a whole stock pile of shiny G50s not being used!
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Oct-12-2018 at 17:43.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

4. Likes QB.Creep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.97 MB

Hi,

I have a problem with signing up. I've given my username, and my email, but I have received no password. Any explanation for this?

!S!, Miles

'He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.' - Confucius

Primary PC specs: Windows 10, Intel Core i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz, NVidia GeForce GTX 1660, 32Gb RAM, Thrustmaster T.16000. FCS + Throttle, TrackIR 5 w/ TrackClip + Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by rmiles View Post
    Hi,

I have a problem with signing up. I've given my username, and my email, but I have received no password. Any explanation for this?

!S!, Miles
    No worries! You now have access to the private TWC General Campaign and Blue Discussion Rooms (just scroll down this forum and you’ll spot them). In the General Discussion Room you will find the password.

Good luck!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Hi,

!S!, Miles
    Password is not send by e-mail (as I know).

If you are registered you must have access to private forum.
    In first post by this link you can find password: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post321386
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    42.92 MB

SWEET!!! Glad I joined this forum! Thanks for the hard work

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rostic View Post
    Password is not send by e-mail (as I know).

If you are registered you must have access to private forum.
    In first post by this link you can find password: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post321386
    Thanks. And another thing, is it absolutely necessary for me to be on Tramspeak while on the server? If so, do I have to use TWC's channel or is there one on ATAG's?

'He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.' - Confucius

Primary PC specs: Windows 10, Intel Core i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz, NVidia GeForce GTX 1660, 32Gb RAM, Thrustmaster T.16000. FCS + Throttle, TrackIR 5 w/ TrackClip + Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Thanks. And another thing, is it absolutely necessary for me to be on Tramspeak while on the server? If so, do I have to use TWC's channel or is there one on ATAG's?
    As I know... No, it is not necessary. Squads mostly sit in their TS channels or TS servers. Very few players join TWC channel in ATAG TS, at least at time when I fly on the server.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    ...but the hardest part of running a successful 24-7 mission is having balanced side the majority of the time. In Blastos post where it was 14-4 in favor of Reds is the way it is 85% of the time in the NA timezones. To me it seems like it's going to become a who can hit the other the hardest while the other isn't on..
    I've been thinking about this myself. I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but perhaps more AI could be spawned in for whichever side is outnumbered at any given time? Or maybe that is already happening and I am not aware of it?

That in addition to the new "cover" mechanism that has been introduced should in theory do a lot to level the playing field.

12. Dislikes darkside3/4 disliked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.71 MB

Hi,
    Please , how i can enter your server?

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Ensure you have logged on here....(sign on sheet for campaign MUST be your STEAM NAME)

https://twcclan.com/twc-campaign-sign-up/

I have pm'ed you the password that you need to login with, EVERY time you join the server. Once in, choose a side (the one you signed in on) and stay on it.

Welcome to the war.

Padre, pm'ing you to.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

15. Dislikes darkside3/4 disliked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Before I start, I want to acknowledge the amazing work by TWC_Fatal_Error in programming this map. He has done a fabulous job in what must be a very difficult task, and I think we are all grateful for his efforts. I can’t, however, ignore the big, glaring elephant in the room.

I've been flying the TWC Campaign server as a Blue player for several months now, and I'd like to address the apparent disparity between the two sides.

I know the Red players will (and have done so) dismiss me as a whiner, but I invite them to fly on the Blue side for a while and tell me their thoughts. As a side note, I am traditionally a Red player, but last year Fatal asked for more players to go to the Blue side to help even out the numbers, and I and a few other traditionally Red fliers took on the challenge.

I've had conversations with Fatal Error about this, and has readily admitted that the points are skewed toward the Red side's advantage. I don't think he realizes how much, however.

I’ve trolled through the stats pages, and found that the results are pretty confusing. There may be some serious errors in the stats, so maybe the numbers can’t speak for themselves. For one thing, I’ve tried to separate the Reds from the Blues by using the “Rank” field. Unfortunately, it looks like when a player is killed and then leaves the map without re-spawning, it gives them the rank of “Tyro”, even if they are a Blue player and the rank should be “Neuling”. This may skew the numbers somewhat, though since there not nearly as many players on the Blue side that have accumulated a lot of points, and in many cases I can identify their affiliation by their name, not just rank. Also, the only number in the stats that seems to carry over after you are killed is the “Total Kills (any Participation)” field, which is the next to last field in the stats.

Using this field for measurement, in the Campaign so far, Red has accumulated 33,186 points, about twice the Blue total of 19,582. A pretty even distribution considering that the stats show 662 players signed up for Red, and 245 players signed up for Blue.

Based on these number, one would think things are working out pretty fairly. One would be wrong.
    Note: These stats change continuously, so the following is just a snapshot, and will change by the time you read this.

FLAK – I haven’t flown on the red side, so I don’t know what the flak looks like when they fly over one of the Blue Airfields. I can tell you that from the ground, it appears to be 3-4 AA guns firing. When I fly over a friendly airfield, I find it difficult to spot any AA batteries. I know that there is at least one a couple kilometers north of Marquise West, arguably our busiest airfield. When I fly over Littlestone, apparently the Red’s busiest airfield, there are 3 full AA batteries within 300 meters of the airfield, as well as numerous AA guns on the field itself. There is also even more AA from nearby Lympne airfield, and Dungeness Radar. Reds always know where the Blue planes are because the Flak follows us around the moment we get near the coast of Old Blighty, whereas flak is practically nil on Red attackers until they are directly over a Blue target.
    In practice, if you look at the stats at some of the highest scoring Red Bomber fliers, you can see that their highest scoring bomber has 24 sorties before dying.
    On the other side of the spectrum, you will see only 1 Blue flier with 10 sorties, and few others even close. The average Blue bomber sortie is a death sentence, and I can tell you from personal experience that 99% of those deaths are from Flak, not enemy aircraft.

Again, it is not easy to extract good info from these stats, because, for instance, if you fly a Hurri-bomber, or a BF-109 “B” model, the stats show you flying a fighter, not a bomber.

Looking at just the Bomber pilot stats, you’ll see their highest scoring bomber pilot dropped 5,350 Kilograms of bombs on target in 24 sorties (24 sorties without dying! Really?), with a 95.5% hit percentage, for a total of 468.83 TWC kill points, or 466,525 Raw damage points. The top scoring Blue pilot (Disclaimer: Me) dropped 5,749 Kilograms of bombs on target in 5 sorties, with a 100% hit percentage, and a total of 63 kill points, or 67,286 Raw damage points.

If you look closely at these numbers you will see at first that, whoa, Blue fliers can drop a lot more bombs in a single sortie than Red pilots can. I believe the Blenheim carries 450 Kg of bombs, where the Ju-88 carries I think ~ 2200Kg. You would think this would give the Blue side an enormous advantage. Wrong again. Delving further into the numbers, you’ll see that Red gets about 87 Raw damage points per Kilo of bombs, but Blue only gets about 12 Raw damage points per kilo. This means that Red bombs are 7-1/4 times more effective than Blue bombs. Was this the case during the actual war?

If the Blue side flew only JU-88 bombers, and the Red side flew only Blenheims, then MAYBE this disparity would be a fair contest (let’s forget about even remotely trying to be historically accurate). The problem here is that very few players actually fly bombers. I only learned to fly the JU-88 because I was getting so frustrated with the fact that my JABO sorties were only 1/7th as effective as the Red JABO sorties. If you get rid of the bombers, and only allow JABO aircraft, this means that the Red side can disable an airfield (requires 50% destruction) with 8 Hurri-bomber sorties (64 50-lb bombs – less than 1,500 Kilos), whereas the blue side would need to make 50 109-E1/3/4B sorties (200 50 Kilo bombs – 10,500 Kilos).

So, to sum up the bombing percentages, know that the Red side can turn the map with 1/7th the effort it takes the Blue side. If my observations about AAA are correct, then the disparity is even worse than that.

For a good illustration of the problems, I’ll observe that a small core of Blue fliers was flying every night concentrating on killing Red targets and ignoring dogfights as much as possible. Through several week of hard work we managed to roll the map successfully fairly regularly. During this period, the Red players hardly ever attacked targets, and were instead shooting down every Blue AI plane they could find. The result of our effort was that we accumulated over 1,300 campaign points. Apparently the Red leadership must have decided enough was enough, and exhorted the Red players to concentrate on targets. In less than one day, the Red players turned the map at least 8 times...when I joined that night the Blue points had dropped from over 1,300, to under 500, and within a couple more days, Red was several hundred points ahead. At the same time, Red AI patrol aircraft appeared to double. Where originally they were spawning in at 8,000 meters, and Blue aircraft were able to stay under the radar all the way to target, now at least half the Red AI patrols are at 2,000. meters and below. It is now almost impossible to make it all the way to a target without being intercepted. When this happens with a BF-109 sortie, at least we can try to outrun the AI, or in the worst case, try to fight it out with them. In a JU-88, being spotted is a death sentence, at any altitude. When I first started flying JU-88s I managed to return home, despite the Flak, about 50% of the time. Now I survive perhaps one sortie in 20, or 5%. As a result, the number of JU-88s available is dropping perilously close to 0, erasing any perceived advantage the Red map-makers may think we have.
    Another thing that happened when Blue was ahead: the map-makers made the BF 109 E-3/B a restricted aircraft. We now have to be a double ace to spawn in an E-3/B. Might as well go straight to an E-4/B, if we live long enough to do that.

So anyway, I’ll reiterate that I think Fatal_Error has done a tremendous job in programming this map, but I think he is seriously discouraging players from flying on the Blue side. There are only a few of us Blue players who go after targets...the majority of the players who fly in the early afternoon are exclusively fighter pilots, and when they run out of E-1s and E-3s, they use E-1B’s and E-3B’s, making our jobs even harder. I’m pretty discouraged by all this, and I expect once this campaign is over I will not fly on TWC servers any more. You can say you are sacrificing Historical accuracy for Fairness, but in my mind this map is neither historically accurate nor fair.
    Lastly, I’ll say again to those of you who will invariably say I’m a whiner: fly the other side for a change, and then I guarantee you’ll be the whiners.

Good flying!
    Kendy
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; Dec-15-2019 at 18:15.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

17. Likes AKA_Blasto, Rostic, rontaila liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Great research Kandy! About 9 months ago I came to the similar conclusions and switched from regular sorties to single sortie per week or less. I thought that it is to hard to play the ROLL THE MAP game and tryed to get some fun in single bomber sorties. But the map was not rolled about a month and I discovered that it is boring to hit same tartgets every sortie. And I stoped flying dynamic campaign at all.

I think the "elephatnt in the room" that you discribed is one of the reasons why this project not growing.

For me it is still fun to join the server an shotdown few AIs, but nothing more.

Any way Fatal_Error did a great work! And his mission script is amazing! So the big thanks to him! I got a great satisfaction while playing first 90 days campaign!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

So I took a closer look at the stats… went into the spreadsheets and deleted all fliers with a “Total Kills” score less than 1. I figure that since the campaign has been running several months now, anyone with a score less than one probably only flew once, then moved on.
    That left 75 Blue players, and 227 Red players. Of the Blue fliers, 8 of them flew at least 1 bomber sortie. Of the Red fliers, there were 36 bomber pilots.

So about 10% of the Blue fliers made at least one bomber sortie, and about 15% of Red fliers made at least one bomber sortie.

If anything, this tells us that most players do not like to fly bombers. If they are like me, the only reason they are flying bombers is because there are some targets that are easier to kill with a large bomb load. One might even say that, for the Blue side, it would be next to impossible to turn the map without a heavy bomber, again, because of the huge disparity (completely artificial) in the damage points done per Kilogram of bombs. I’ll give you a prime example of the huge gulf between the two sides. Recently, Blue had a selection of Primary targets that included 3 (three!) airfields to knock out. Among the other targets were Dover armor, a target where the vehicles are spread out in a field and along a road, with a flak battery less than 30 meters away, and several more batteries within a half kilometer. I’ve never been able to destroy this target with less than 4 sorties in a JU-88, and 6 sorties in a 109. Additional targets were in London, a suicide run any way you look at it, and even a target all the way out in Swindon, about a 35-40 minute flight . Ignore all the other targets, if you will and concentrate on the 3 airfields. If we had no bombers, it would take Blue 150 sorties to destroy these targets, where with the same targets, red could do it in 24 sorties.

These numbers highlight the huge disadvantage purposely given to the Blue side. If I had a suspicious nature, I would say this was programmed in to assure a Red victory in all cases. I really don’t think Fatal works this way, it is just his misguided attempt to even things out. I think you can see by the numbers of Blue fliers that this method is not working.

I don’t want to be one of those people who offers criticism, but can’t be bothered to help find a solutions, so I’ll put out some ideas here. I can only hope Fatal will give it some thought.

First of all, damage MUST to be fixed so that it is equal on both sides. If a Blue flier drops 100 Kilos of bombs on a target, it should do the same amount of damage as when a Red flier drops 100 Kilos of bombs on an equivalent target. Until you do this, then the Red side is basically cheating.

The way to fix the disparity would be to distribute bombers in such a way as to give both sides more equal footing. Unfortunately, the Red side has fewer options for dropping bombs on a target. They have Hurricane FBs and Blenheims. The Blue side has a lot more to choose from, with BF 109 B models, BF 110s, JU-87s, JU-88s, He-111, BR-20… have I missed any?

So to start, make sure both side have the equivalent number of single engine JABO aircraft, Hurricane FB and BF-109 B models, and that they resupply the same (and their bombs cause equal damage per Kilo).

Next, I think the nearest equivalent aircraft are BF 110s, JU-87s and Blenheims. They all carry a similar bomb load. Place them in front-line airfields where they can get to target in a reasonable amount of time. 110’s can carry 2 500 Kilo bombs, so limit the numbers of the Blue planes so the total bomb loads of Blue and Red bombers is the same. A JU 87 and a 110 can carry 1500 Kilos of bombs, versus the 450 Kilos of a Blenheim, so give the Reds 3 times more Blenheims in stock than the Blues. The stats show 5 times as many Red bomber pilots as there are Blue, so there are obviously more Red pilots to fly those extra aircraft.

Unless you want to omit the other Blue aircraft, place them in airfields that are further away so that it takes longer to get to target, and place the largest payload aircraft, like JU 88s and HE 111s as far away as possible. I would be much less likely to get in a JU 88 if I knew it would take a minimum of 20 minutes to get to a target. Again, limit the number of these aircraft, and give the Reds an equivalent tonnage of Blenhiems at equivalent airfields.

Some might complain that the JU 88 can carry 5 times the bomb load of the Blenheim, to which I’d point out, as I did above, that the stats show there are 5 times as many Reds flying bombers as there are Blues flying bombers. This seems like it evens out.

Anyway, its not my server, so I have no say in how it is run. I do like the maps, and like the way Fatal has programmed things to work. I would hope, however, that he’d like to see more participation. I don’t think he’s going to get it until something changes drastically.

Ever the Optimist,

Kendy
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; Dec-17-2019 at 18:34.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

20. Likes AKA_Blasto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Just thoughts.

All these numbers are very interesting. But, no matter how carefully the balance of aircraft, bomb loads and the distribution of targets according to their complexity is chosen, all this is useless. Since it is completely impossible to ensure balance due to the random distribution of players. Both in terms of their number and their preferred style of play (fighter / bomber).

Therefore, if something needs to be changed, then these are the rules of the game so that the gameplay is more fun and immerses the player in the virtual world of air combat with all its variety, and do not focus all efforts on equalizing the numbers in statistics. And as long as the server is not populated, AI plays a very important role.
    Last edited by Rostic; Dec-17-2019 at 18:23.

22. Likes TWC_Padre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rostic View Post
    Just thoughts.

All these numbers are very interesting. But, no matter how carefully the balance of aircraft, bomb loads ....
    I'm relatively new to this sim, and have been waiting for some of my more learned colleagues to weigh in on the assumptions/assertions that are being made by Mr. Kendy, however, "in all fairness," I feel the need to point a few things.

I usually play Red .... so let me just add, what I would give to have more than 2 bombing options. What does Blue have ... 6 (which does not include the numerous variants of each model). I'd also like to point out that for starters, to get into a Hurricane FB I need to be an ace first ... however, Blue gets into the seat of a Bf 109E 1B straight away. And when they have reached the level to acquire a Bf 109E 3B, they have that powerful option to take on a fighter after they've dropped the numerous and various loads available to them ... have you ever tried dog-fighting in a Hurricane MkI.

And do you think there is even a comparison between the Blenheim and the numerous medium/heavy bomber models available to the Blue side. And if you thought of comparing the Blenheim with the Bf 110C, don't ... one is a row-boat the other is a speed-boat (you figure out which is which) and should I even mention the fire power of its cannons compared to the two 303 pea-shooters in the Blenheim MkIV.

Rostic is right, there are way too many variables that affect each run, each target hit, each volley of flak encountered. One time I hit a target and receive 10 points, the next time I hit the same target and receive 30+ points ... it all has to do with placement of the load. And when I have to take on a Bf 109E 3B or a Bf 110C with my Hurricane MkI, I often think it's unfair, but those are the rules I have to play against if I want to have fun on the TWC servers.

So thank you Fatal for all the hard-work, commitment, and sacrifices you have made to bring these servers about for my enjoyment, and I'm sure the enjoyment of many other of the community.

24. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

S!~
    Assumptions and assertions...facts more like. Talk straight...you disagree...no problem. The bombing is skewed in favor of the Allies. Fun? Yes. Fair? Don't think so. Is that an assumption or an assertion?
    <a href=http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2895&dateline=1384197801 target=_blank>http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ine=1384197801</a>

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I'd have to agree with you on that point...it should be no harder for you to get into a Hurri Bomber than it is for me to get into a 109 B model. Put the same restrictions on the 109 E1/B, or remove the restrictions from the Hurricane. I'm all for either of those options. Obviously, not having flown Red I was not aware of that restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Padre (VK-P) View Post
    I'm relatively new to this sim, and have been waiting for some of my more learned colleagues to weigh in on the assumptions/assertions that are being made by Mr. Kendy, however, "in all fairness," I feel the need to point a few things.

I usually play Red .... so let me just add, what I would give to have more than 2 bombing options. What does Blue have ... 6 (which does not include the numerous variants of each model). I'd also like to point out that for starters, to get into a Hurricane FB I need to be an ace first ... however, Blue gets into the seat of a Bf 109E 1B straight away. And when they have reached the level to acquire a Bf 109E 3B, they have that powerful option to take on a fighter after they've dropped the numerous and various loads available to them ... have you ever tried dog-fighting in a Hurricane MkI.

And do you think there is even a comparison between the Blenheim and the numerous medium/heavy bomber models available to the Blue side. And if you thought of comparing the Blenheim with the Bf 110C, don't ... one is a row-boat the other is a speed-boat (you figure out which is which) and should I even mention the fire power of its cannons compared to the two 303 pea-shooters in the Blenheim MkIV.

Rostic is right, there are way too many variables that affect each run, each target hit, each volley of flak encountered. One time I hit a target and receive 10 points, the next time I hit the same target and receive 30+ points ... it all has to do with placement of the load. And when I have to take on a Bf 109E 3B or a Bf 110C with my Hurricane MkI, I often think it's unfair, but those are the rules I have to play against if I want to have fun on the TWC servers.

So thank you Fatal for all the hard-work, commitment, and sacrifices you have made to bring these servers about for my enjoyment, and I'm sure the enjoyment of many other of the community.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

I'm with Rostic there.

Compare the bomb loads of a Blennie with that of a He 111 or Ju 88 and you see that 'when Blue has to drop 100kg, then Red should have to drop 100kg as well' makes no sense at all.
    Not even taking into account that in contrast to the Blenheim both blue bombers have an efficient defensive armament and the 88 is faster than a Hurricane.
    If anything the Beaufighter is comparable to the 110, but it does not carry bombs (and cannot shoot backwards), and so is pretty useless in the whole campaign.
    And comparing 109 E4-B and the Hurri FB?
    Come on!

I think Fatal did a wonderful job trying to keep balance (which necessarily means that the situation has nothing to do with history).
    In the end it is the pilots who decide how they want to fly and what they want to fly. And if there are more red bomber pilots who do not care whether they will have to start a new career after every sortie, then red will win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

There are number of things limited by the game and a number of things created to balance things out within the campaign that look odd. However, more often than not, there are reasons why certain things have developed in certain ways.

Single engine bombers:

The Hurricane FB has a "drop all the bombs" button - not single release. So it is one target per sortie - where as the 109 can drop one bomb per click. The outcome of this means for two impossibly lucky pilots - one has 4 sorties and the other has just one for 4 potential targets. Not saying this happens often, however, I know which one I would prefer.

Twin engine bombers:

The Blenheim has shocking defences with a restrictive pilots view of above and port side windows. The port window blister is modelled on the plane, but the view doesn't allow it's use - a minor issue I guess (drives me crackers, personally). The bomb load options are pretty poor aswell - far too many little bombs and not enough larger ones. It's what they had at the time and they bravely made do with it, rather them than me. It is a real struggle to get two primary targets per sortie and often it's 'salvo the lot' on one primary target, sometimes damaging other nearby targets in tight places like Calais\Bolougne.

Using altitude in a Blenheim is also limited to 10-15k feet for 'medium' targets (higher for larger targets like airfields upto about 18-19k) due to the lack of magnification on the sight - Ju88 and He111 can be nearly 2-3 times these altitudes. I would say that it's only the few rare Blenheim pilots that use altitude/level bombing, the rest hug the waves and fields.

Most bombers know the peril of 45-60minute return flights with one engine - however not many bother - often simply bailing out or crashing immediately after dropping bombs. I think those that just end the career after bomb release, prefer to wait just 3 minutes to fly again rather than endure 110mph return flights. Personally, I enjoy nursing a busted plane back to base, however, I understand those that can not be bothered. However, if blues run out of Ju88's, they can use He111's, then BR20's, then BF110's onto Ju87's. Reds have Blenheims and a Hurricane.

The AI:

The blues have numerous flights of 8+ 109's and many 4 plane flights of G.50 /109s. Not to forget the BF110 flights with rear snipers seemingly impervious to g-forces. There are more blue bomber raids, mostly with escorts, compared to the seemingly un-escorted few Wellington raids. That is how it should be really, both historically and also combating the low blue player count. Use TAB-4-2 to check your friendly flights, most coastal cities for the Blues have patrols at 2k and up. Not to mention dogfighting stukas and brutal Flak.

The targets:

I might be wrong, things might have changed, or I might have not understood - but I think airfields are/were the only targets where a balance action was purposely made. I think it's two 'max loads' of bombs for a twin engine bomber (not including BF110) to destroy an airfield. Whatever it was, this prevented one blenheim destroying an airfield in one flight and a blue destroying 3 or 4 airfields per flight.

Some targets were buggy, so either the 'trigger requirement percentage' or the 'number of items in the trigger zone' on some targets were altered to get them functioning - sometimes simple spacing edits. These were present on both sides. The "raw damage" in the stats has zero effect on the campaign progress. Campaign Targets have their own values in terms of Campaign Victory Points. I feel for Fatal in regard to having some game time available and on many days spent it sifting through code instead of flying. However, when a vehicle park or armoury store or similar target becomes a primary/secondary - it's nice to see those ground unit points scroll past in the server chat area of your screen. Factories and other targets - not so much in terms of ground unit numbers. Having the targets tabled, weighted and selected at random was a superb step forwards for the campaign, despite having times where the same targets were listed for a good few instances/dice rolls. You generally wouldn't know the primary/secondary targets, after a successful map roll, until you were in the game using TAB-4-6 etc.

The restrictions:

The balance of single engine fighter bombers could be Hurricane FB and 109-E1B - This could be the simplest balance of single engine fighter bombers, it removes the arguement of cannons and bombs. The E1B still has the bonus of 'one bomb per click' release capability which the Hurricane does not. The 109-E3B or E4B has nothing on the red side remotely close. Airframes with cannons, I feel the bomb options could be removed - for airframe balance. I'm sure many would not agree here. Then again, having to hit 5 ground targets or shoot some planes - a blue fighter/fighter bomber pilot has plenty of options to achieve the levels for the later 109's with or without bombs.

As for twin engine FB's and bombers, there is not much that can be done for balance. Potentially add more blue targets and higher percentage of blue primary targets required for a map roll? Would that offset the BF110 FB's, Ju88, He111 and BR20 flexibility compared to the Blenheims?

The map:

The campaign server does provide a little bit more than a generic dogfight map server, but there are limits currently on what can be created. For a historic day by day environment, it would be fairly quiet for large portions of the day, interupted by moments of 'over too soon' action for both sides. It would also be fairly linear for the blues. So how to improve things? Remove map rolling and opt for historically accurate scenes for a series of given days? Limit pilot slots on each side to 10-15-20 each? Remove player bombers altogether and rely on escorting AI bombers only? Standard target layouts and parameters for success for both sides? Standard Flak batteries for both sides?

The single most missed part of server stuffs from older IL2 titles (the 'Merged Era'), for me, is/was the output/log/data from the older style server commanders. You could parse this output and 'remove' the entities once they were destroyed from your map - creating a new map with destroyed stuff removed and intact stuff still there. It was a manual process and part of the reason the =JFC= campaigns were weekly (Sunday for 24hours - one life only). Wednesdays/Thursdays were used for each sides 'battle commander' to submit their sides 'movement orders' for the ground/sea/air units. This wasn't and probably still isn't able to be done on a rolling 24/7 server in older IL2's or CloD, let alone a public one. It was however the closest i've seen to a 'dynamic environment' for IL2 - down to individual statics being recorded.

I wish there was a magic fix to make everything perfect for everyone - but there currently isn't. A few would argue it is a massive step forwards from a generic dogfight server - yet it still is the same concept essentially - but with extra stats/restrictions/target variations. Many pilots do not even look at the stats/career and simply take off to dogfight - often wasting the airframe for a few minutes fun. Those same pilots might not even know when an airframe is low in quantity until the yellow/red text says - no. Those pilots exist on both sides.

I don't know what to suggest, however, I do know/expect, that if we can establish a method for a '24/7 dynamic campaign' in CloD it will more than likely be the same method we can use when TF5 comes out. Currently I see 'Historic' or 'Balanced' and we can't go '100% all in' for either choice currently. This complex issue should not be left to rot, rather it should be fully explored and hopefully solved - atleast worked around.

If there was the standard "not enough blues, you can't choose red" balancer that other games sometimes use - it would limit some of the problems and create other new ones.

My personal view is for an 'Adapted Historic' account of 1940 post BOF - the BoB/Blitz era with 'ratio based formations' on both sides which attack Historically attacked targets (within the limits of the map). So instead of 100 Blue bombers with 60 escorts in one flight, adapt it to be 12 bombers and 8 escorts - simply increasing the frequency of the groups. They should continue to focus on a target until it is destroyed or the number of aircraft that Historically attacked the target, had been reached. Example a Historic Raid of 100 bombers and 60 escorts bombed an airfield - then ingame - it would be adapted as 8-9 flights of 12 bombers and 8 escorts - maybe every 45 minutes (depending how long it took for the bombers to appear/spawn and then to disappear/exit from the map). Being exact isn't possible in the game, but being near-enough could be good enough. On Historically 'quiet days' maybe several days could be adapted and combined into one session. Air spawns ideally would be 30km from any ground unit/airfield/target/reason to be there. Increasing the server session time to 8 hours gives more time to achieve the tasks, I am not sure what the performance implications are there. Even then, if you adapted every historic raid/event that was possible in the game - how would a side 'win'? It would just be a linear scripted event - it could boil down to personal stats farming worst case. Then again, does a side need to 'win' - in Historic terms - thats already been written - is it needed in a game? Could the 'number of attacks' that succeed or fail be used instead for a total of points. Example blues sent 6 raiding groups to targets in England, 3 were successful and destroyed targets - 3 failed. Is that a draw? I would be tempted to dumb the AI raids down to a 'KG of bombs into a trigger radius'. This would fix the "The target hasn't completed" into "It needs more KG of bombs". This wouldn't work for all targets, visually.

I like the idea of Standard Patrols of 3's for reds and 4's for blues - escalating to 6 for red and 8 for blues. Kind of using VIC's, Staffel, Schwarm, Kette and Rotten formations. More fighter/fighter bomber sweeps of blue AI, like the 4 AI BF110's that hit the radar near littlestone and the ones that hit near east church. Hard to get "accurate" but simple enough to be logical, especially low level fighter sweeps.

I enjoy both bombers and fighters on either side - however I would like the option of escorting AI bombers to also contribute to rolling the map. 6 Reds or 8 Blue AI fighters should really intercept bomber raids - it's not like each side didn't know something not-so-nice was enroute historically.

I don't know, I get carried away dreaming of possibilities yet the realities normally screw it up. The fundamentals of any environment created in IL2 - don't fly alone. Flying with others normally resolves most solo problems - be it attacking or defence. However, if you spawn in as the only player on the server - then you are in for a bumpy ride. Single player Hurricane vs 4, 6, 8 or 10+ 109's - it's fun until they wake up.

As for not wanting to participate on the server anymore, that would be a shame fella - we've had many abattle and many good engagements chap. Maybe detach from the war and enjoy the battle?
    Zx Spectrum, 48k. Mono tape player. Loose 3.5mm Jacks that need a wiggle once and a while.

29. Likes TWC_Padre, Rostic, Gingerbread liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Good points all. And you are probably right... I should be like the majority of players and forget about the campaign points, and turning the map, and just fly a fighter. I may just do that. And I'll probably switch back to flying Red anyways, so I'll not have anything to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Mackers View Post

As for not wanting to participate on the server anymore, that would be a shame fella - we've had many abattle and many good engagements chap. Maybe detach from the war and enjoy the battle?
    Last edited by Kendy for the State; Dec-18-2019 at 17:51.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

31. Likes TWC_Mackers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

So after my +40 minute long flight in my Blenheim to Arras, to hit it's fuel storage depots, my career was ended by the intense flak I encountered there. The good point is, I took out the target. The bad point is, it cost me my career! The good point is, saves me from that long +40 minute flight back to base!

Guess the rumors of there being less flak weren't true

All done in good cheer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    Good points all. And you are probably right... I should be like the majority of players and forget about the campaign points, and turning the map, and just fly a fighter. I may just do that. And I'll probably switch back to flying Red anyways, so I'll not have anything to complain about.
    Yes, when playing a game feels like a job, something has gone wrong. The closest I've ever experienced something like that was in EvE Online a good few years ago.

With the campaign points I look at it as prompt to either:

1] Spawn with some pilots in bombers and hit a few targets together.

2] Spawn with some pilots in fighters and patrol somewhere.

3] If I'm on my own, generally CAP while pinging radar regulary - even flying near an AI patrol so I don't welp into 6 109's on my own - unless the buggers ignore my peril. Sometimes make a bomb run using the <cover command for AI escorts. See how much time I have and where the targets are. Check the 'Plotting Radar Site thing' and make a route avoiding the bulk of mid-channel traffic. It might not be a primary or secondary target - just something close. It all helps.

Thinking further, rolling a map isn't the only way to get Campaign Points. Each target listed gives points, they all contribute to the campaign totals - so without the map rolling the points do change. I'm basing that on the campaign update messages while flying - "Altogether this has improved a sides campaign points something something". You can also get an update from the TAB-4 menu. Campaign Summary etc.

Rolling the map does however give a healthy kick increasing airframe counts and overall campaign points. Think of the campaign in high level terms. The Blues were ahead by some 1200 points and it cost alot of airframes, then a few red pilots decided that a couple of weeks intensive bombing was required to counter the blues offensive - urgently - as a group. A half dozen of the reds flew nothing but Blenheims for 3 weeks or more. It turned into a battle of attrition. It wasn't possible to let up for any day. Moving pilots to bombers left fighters under staffed!

Thinking in those terms, for about a month it was back and forth between the sides - like trench warfare of yesteryear. However, eventually fatigue (even from a computer game) can set in causing problems - sooner or later one side dips. From reds to blues to reds to blues until completion. Losing for too long or winning for too long will eventually have the same effect on players - fatigue/loss of interest. It never lasts in one sides favour or the others - for too long. Like now, there are a few bomber pilots on each side still putting in the effort to hit targets - more and more have returned to fighter roles. Reds are currently 4,5 or 600 points ahead it changes daily - increase/decrease but not running away with the overall campaign. A bit of a push from one side or the other it could go either way still. The blues have mounted many concentrated assaults in the past and often recaptured the lead.

Hopefully, as the game develops over time, lots of new things will help expand the current options for mission/environment creators and a step further towards having some next generation of 24/7 dynamic campaigns out there. The idea of campaigns, 24/7, fully automated, AI Escorts for Twin Engine Bombers, careers, stats, detailed RaDaR (Player and AI usage) and all public access would have been passed off as day dreaming in CloD. Yet it exists. Also the general access to the Radar site "Contact Plotting Table". That thing really helps with seeing hotspots - never flying A-B routes to targets - always trying to stay 10-15miles away from anything for as long as possible creating some funky routes. I check it before take off and then use the ingame reports to update my route - saves alt and tabbing to a browser window. Quite often I still bumble into a world of nastiness forcing my swift retreat.

I enjoy making missions, but there is no way I would have a clue how to pull all the features together. It took me ages to get landed aircraft removed from a mission after their sortie haha!

I feel the campaign server has evolved and will continue to evolve with the game. The last year has seen alot more improvements than set backs. I am looking forwards to a new year with much the same progress.
    Zx Spectrum, 48k. Mono tape player. Loose 3.5mm Jacks that need a wiggle once and a while.

34. Likes TWC_Padre, Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Padre (VK-P) View Post
    So after my +40 minute long flight in my Blenheim to Arras, to hit it's fuel storage depots, my career was ended by the intense flak I encountered there. The good point is, I took out the target. The bad point is, it cost me my career! The good point is, saves me from that long +40 minute flight back to base!

Guess the rumors of there being less flak weren't true

All done in good cheer!

Propaganda at work - it was very effective

For me it ends with variations of: "Aha I see the target..." <Suddenly - Black Screen of nasty> "Now I don't."

36. Likes TWC_Padre liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Yes, we were up by more than 1300 points, but it took weeks of every single night 4 or 5 of us making bomber sortie after bomber sortie to get that score. My point is that when Red decided to do something about it, it took 2 days to erase our lead (again, several weeks of effort). Red can turn the map at will, any time they want because of the bomb damage disparity. We have to work at it for a long time to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Mackers View Post

Rolling the map does however give a healthy kick increasing airframe counts and overall campaign points. Think of the campaign in high level terms. The Blues were ahead by some 1200 points and it cost alot of airframes, then a few red pilots decided that a couple of weeks intensive bombing was required to counter the blues offensive - urgently - as a group. A half dozen of the reds flew nothing but Blenheims for 3 weeks or more. It turned into a battle of attrition. It wasn't possible to let up for any day. Moving pilots to bombers left fighters under staffed!
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

38. Likes Rostic, rontaila liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I don't know what map you are flying Blue bombers, but it's not this one. I've never managed to outrun AI Hurricanes on this map after bombing a target. In fact, I can't even outrun a Gladiator when fully loaded with bombs, unless I start with altitude and blow by them in a dive. If I'm still out a ways from the target they will (and have, many times) catch me and shoot me to pieces.
    Yes, Red will win, because they can roll the map at will.

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    I'm with Rostic there.

Compare the bomb loads of a Blennie with that of a He 111 or Ju 88 and you see that 'when Blue has to drop 100kg, then Red should have to drop 100kg as well' makes no sense at all.
    Not even taking into account that in contrast to the Blenheim both blue bombers have an efficient defensive armament and the 88 is faster than a Hurricane.
    If anything the Beaufighter is comparable to the 110, but it does not carry bombs (and cannot shoot backwards), and so is pretty useless in the whole campaign.
    And comparing 109 E4-B and the Hurri FB?
    Come on!

I think Fatal did a wonderful job trying to keep balance (which necessarily means that the situation has nothing to do with history).
    In the end it is the pilots who decide how they want to fly and what they want to fly. And if there are more red bomber pilots who do not care whether they will have to start a new career after every sortie, then red will win.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    32GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV

40. Likes rontaila liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

Yes, we were up by more than 1300 points, but it took weeks of every single night 4 or 5 of us making bomber sortie after bomber sortie to get that score. My point is that when Red decided to do something about it, it took 2 days to erase our lead (again, several weeks of effort). Red can turn the map at will, any time they want because of the bomb damage disparity. We have to work at it for a long time to do the same.
    I put some of the Data into a spreadsheet, interested to see what had happened - it doesn't look as bad as it sounds. It looks like a big offensive happened and it was repelled. It looks like the blues launched a series of raids to destroy the reds, for a moment it looked pretty bad for the reds - then the reds reversed the situation. Neither side has run away with the points. Much like it kinda should do for a BoB environment.

It took Blues 2 weeks of brutal fighting to peak at 1087 points from a red lead. The reds reclaimed the points in a week - it took another week to peak at 449 points. Then the blues reduced the red points to 3 within 5 days. In 10 days the reds peaked again, upto 654 points. Nearly a week later, reds are hovering at 560 points and the battle continues - back and forth.

This simply is showing that any side can win the map and win the campaign using coordinated bombing. No single player can reliably roll the map and live throughout - you can game the career or the mission - not both. It is not a single player environment - it is a team/group environment. It is kinda working as intended.

I used the last recorded "Final Team Totals" for each day.

Data collected from the "TWC Tactical Campaign Server TEAM Stats".

This is far better operation than the previous versions of the campaign - it is progress being this close after this long.

42. Likes TWC_Padre, DerDa liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    251.25 MB

I know the Red players will (and have done so) dismiss me as a whiner, but I invite them to fly on the Blue side for a while and tell me their thoughts. As a side note, I am traditionally a Red player, but last year Fatal asked for more players to go to the Blue side to help even out the numbers, and I and a few other traditionally Red fliers took on the challenge.
    I'd like to start by saying you are my favorite Blue to fly against due to your humor/sportsmanship, the fact that you dogfight instead of run away, and that you have consistently shot me down with the exception of 2 kills I have on you. This makes you the worst (and best) pilot to fly against as you have the higher K/D on me hand over fist. I enjoy seeing you on as I know I'll be challenged. In no way do I consider you a whiner.

FLAK – I haven’t flown on the red side, so I don’t know what the flak looks like when they fly over one of the Blue Airfields. I can tell you that from the ground, it appears to be 3-4 AA guns firing. When I fly over a friendly airfield, I find it difficult to spot any AA batteries. I know that there is at least one a couple kilometers north of Marquise West, arguably our busiest airfield. When I fly over Littlestone, apparently the Red’s busiest airfield, there are 3 full AA batteries within 300 meters of the airfield, as well as numerous AA guns on the field itself. There is also even more AA from nearby Lympne airfield, and Dungeness Radar. Reds always know where the Blue planes are because the Flak follows us around the moment we get near the coast of Old Blighty, whereas flak is practically nil on Red attackers until they are directly over a Blue target.
    In practice, if you look at the stats at some of the highest scoring Red Bomber fliers, you can see that their highest scoring bomber has 24 sorties before dying.

On the other side of the spectrum, you will see only 1 Blue flier with 10 sorties, and few others even close. The average Blue bomber sortie is a death sentence, and I can tell you from personal experience that 99% of those deaths are from Flak, not enemy aircraft.
    I have not looked at the stats to see who you are talking about, however I can only assume its Birdtail or Mackers. Both of whom makes it a point to get home, so they fly at high alts and with cover ect ect. I think Mack also has some supernatural powers, so its a bit unfair comparison as he is the second highest scoring TWC fighter at the time of this writing and was the highest scoring Red fighter for a few weeks running. I know for all the other bombers, including myself, its pretty much a suicide mission every time we go to bomb a target. Calais, Dunkirk, Boulogne, and La Harve (pretty much where all of our targets are at with the exception of 1 or 2) are all death traps below 5k feet. If you are to say "well fly higher" I'd say to you "sure, but we aim with a horse hair sight at a target that's hardly visible and only have 4 250lb bombs". Which makes it rather hard to do high alt bombing successfully. Whereas the 88s/111s can lock on target, have a bit of zoom, change disbursement of the bombs, ect ect.

If the Blue side flew only JU-88 bombers, and the Red side flew only Blenheims, then MAYBE this disparity would be a fair contest (let’s forget about even remotely trying to be historically accurate). The problem here is that very few players actually fly bombers. I only learned to fly the JU-88 because I was getting so frustrated with the fact that my JABO sorties were only 1/7th as effective as the Red JABO sorties. If you get rid of the bombers, and only allow JABO aircraft, this means that the Red side can disable an airfield (requires 50% destruction) with 8 Hurri-bomber sorties (64 50-lb bombs – less than 1,500 Kilos), whereas the blue side would need to make 50 109-E1/3/4B sorties (200 50 Kilo bombs – 10,500 Kilos).

So, to sum up the bombing percentages, know that the Red side can turn the map with 1/7th the effort it takes the Blue side. If my observations about AAA are correct, then the disparity is even worse than that.
    A few things you get wrong here, disabling an airfield requires 100% destruction. You might be thinking 50% as that's about what pops up during the damage display on a run, however check (through the tab menu) for airfield destruction to get the real damage percentage which has factored in more than just bombs on target but also BOMB PLACEMENT. A bomb dropped on the airstrip itself, not just the grass, is worth more damage points than one dropped off to the side. Not to mention it also leaves the fun craters making the flight line useless. Also, part of this bombing equation is to make the red bombs "worth more" in order to offset the gross difference between an 88 and a Blenie. However this offset simply makes one Blenie load worth the same as an 88, nothing more or less. This evens the playing field for airfield bombing, however we still have less bombs with which (therefore less opportunities) to hit a target. With only 4 250lb bombs, we have to be pretty dead on with our strikes which leads me to the next point.

As I said before, it is a lot harder to do high level bombing on a target for Reds, and with the exception of a maybe 3 or 4 occasions in the past year (and that's flying for 4-6 hours a day 4-7 days a week), I have not seen it work out. Which has led us Reds to do VERY low level dive bombing in Blenies. I think one factor that helps us roll the map is that this extremely low level bombing allows some of us (such as myself) to hit multiple targets in one run with the right amount of luck and discipline. I'll walk you through it, if you are interested.

I usually fly across the channel on a heading to target at 100ft off the deck. If the target is inland I head for a river that leads me there and I follow that in. Once the target is insight/flak range I pop up to about 2k feet, get eyes on the building/silos, and dive in. On the dive I usually lose an engine and one control surface, but I can still (hopefully) hit it. This is why I'll try to fly in such a way as to be on a straight line across multiple targets in the area. I drop one, maybe two bombs on each location then try to egress. In the past 3 months I have not made it home. However I usually get both targets due to being only 50ft above it when I drop. This low level flying also carries the advantage of flak being low on the ground or water which does not draw as much attention from the breathers, as well as being able to hide on the other side of a hill from the flak so that you are out of LOS keeping you safe. It is possible to fly into Boulogne from the south-east side this way and only pick up flak once over the target and on your way home.

I do agree that the fighter bombers currently have a disparity, however there is no way to differentiate as far as I know as the game simply looks at it as a "Red" bomb vs "Blue" bomb. When balancing a game, not everyone is going to be happy, and not everything will be fair. Look at things such as League of Legends or DOTA or WoT ect where certain things get 'nerfed' every few months which simply changes what the new "OP system" is. I believe that the way it is currently is pretty decent at getting a balance and that each side must simply play to its strengths. Mainly, Blues have the advantage at high level bombing with much better bomb sights and more bombs to hit the target, so they should do that. Reds are kind of forced to commit to low bombing raids so they should just get good at it and try to hit as many targets in a single run as they can to make the trip worth it.

For a good illustration of the problems, I’ll observe that a small core of Blue fliers was flying every night concentrating on killing Red targets and ignoring dogfights as much as possible. Through several week of hard work we managed to roll the map successfully fairly regularly. During this period, the Red players hardly ever attacked targets, and were instead shooting down every Blue AI plane they could find. The result of our effort was that we accumulated over 1,300 campaign points. Apparently the Red leadership must have decided enough was enough, and exhorted the Red players to concentrate on targets. In less than one day, the Red players turned the map at least 8 times...when I joined that night the Blue points had dropped from over 1,300, to under 500, and within a couple more days, Red was several hundred points ahead. At the same time, Red AI patrol aircraft appeared to double. Where originally they were spawning in at 8,000 meters, and Blue aircraft were able to stay under the radar all the way to target, now at least half the Red AI patrols are at 2,000. meters and below. It is now almost impossible to make it all the way to a target without being intercepted. When this happens with a BF-109 sortie, at least we can try to outrun the AI, or in the worst case, try to fight it out with them.
    It wasn't so much the Red leadership as the Reds in general going "wowa, we are WAY behind". The gap closed through 6 or 7 people constantly bombing for about a week, and now we have 3 or 4 players who bomb regularly every week. As far as the number of red patrols. I keep the radar map up while I fly, and I can tell you from experience that the average red patrols for the entirety of England averages 2 or 3. Whereas the coast of France has 5-8 patrols plus 3 or 4 incoming raids. The screenshot below is what the server looks like with no players, all Red forces shown, and only what Red radar can see of the Blue.

As you can tell, there are MUCH more Blue aircraft in the air than Red. I would suggest flying with the radar open on another screen or with your game in pseudo mode so you can tab out to the radar map without your game getting scrunched into the top right corner forcing a restart. this way you can fly around the patrols, as it currently sounds like you are simply having a run of bad luck.

I’m pretty discouraged by all this, and I expect once this campaign is over I will not fly on TWC servers any more. You can say you are sacrificing Historical accuracy for Fairness, but in my mind this map is neither historically accurate nor fair.
    Lastly, I’ll say again to those of you who will invariably say I’m a whiner: fly the other side for a change, and then I guarantee you’ll be the whiners.
    I hope that your concerns can be addressed with more thought/coding on our part, and that we can continue to work together on improving the server and the game for the betterment of this small, but awesome community. I'll end the same way I started this post, in that I hope you understand I personally do not think you to be a whiner but rather to have constructive criticism. A long, and thought out, post voicing concerns is not complaining.

tldr;
    I, nor anyone I have spoken to, considers you anything less than a good pilot and fun to fly against/with.
    The server is made to making bombing more fair for bombers which makes a disparity between fighter bombers.
    There are more Blue AI patrols and bombing raids than Red AI.
    Red and Blue must play to their strengths or use their weakness to the best of their ability.
    Red regaining the advantage was through the cooperation and diligence of many players.
    I hope that future campaigns can find a better 'middle ground' to keep the game enjoyable for all parties involved. No changes are possible without individuals voicing their concerns.

I am saddened to hear you think you may stop flying with us as I would sorely miss getting shot down by you. I will be getting back to work on the historically accurate campaign that follows the push into France day by day and the BoB after the holidays. However I do not intend to change the way bombing is handled. I do intend, however, to try and make the Hurries and 109/B variants equal as the 88s and Blenies are, if possible. Again, it will take more thought/coding if it is.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 gr00ve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    259.12 MB

Warps, Disconnects, Disappearing planes from stock...

Hi,

Lately there is so many warping going on the server. Both human players and ai's which makes game unplayable. It's not always like that, but it happens very frequently which wasn't the case.
    Also, server is not as stable as it used to be. Yesterday (saturday 14/03), server crashed 4 times between 2pm-6pm CET.
    Also we noticed our planes are magically disappearing from our stock. Example, 2 days ago we rolled map, we got stock replenished. we got like 5 top planes. No one flew them, later in same sortie we checked, there was none available.

Targets that don't get destroyed although they are 100% destroyed, player deaths that didn't happen, inability to spawn, inability to use any planes besides tyro rank planes although they are unlocked, internet disconnects and random game crashes that wipe out your career....too many bugs

I appreciate changes you do to make campaign better, but its bad idea to do changes in the middle of campaign. Make it stable and leave it so. Tweak it and improve it when campaign is over.

cheers
    g.
    "Karaya Eins"

My YouTube Channel
    "The secret of good teamwork is to work as a team" - 9./JG52 Mindle, 2019
    Warthog HOTAS - MFG Crosswind - Saitek Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5 - i7 4770K - Asrock Z87 Killer - Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming - Corsair 16 GB - Kingston SSD 120 GB - Samsung SSD 240GB - 3 TB storage - Razer Megalodon

45. Likes TWC_Padre liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast