Thread: Directional Gyro showing 0 while flying south??

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    452.97 MB

Directional Gyro showing 0 while flying south??

Hi guys, after several months without flying CLoD, I tried it again today to see how it would show on my new monitor and after doing a quick mission I was trying to "return to home" by pointing 0 on my directional gyro (hurricane). After few minutes flying without seeing land I decided to check the map and saw that I was in fact flying to France instead of GB (in this case the directional gyro should show 180, no?).

Is there some sort of "random compass error" simulated in CLoD? (Even so, I still think that full 180 degrees is a little bit too much).
    Don't remember pressing any key other than my trigger and/or throttle/rad levers on my HOTAS (didn't touch keyboard).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: Directional Gyro showing 0 while flying south??

The directional gyros on aircraft tend to become more inaccurate after doing various turns and maneuvers (for both sides, but more so for the British aircraft). When you spawn in, they also tend to start pointing in a different direction to what your P8 compass (behind the joystick) is pointing at.

The P8 compass is the only 'working' compass aboard British aircraft but lacks fine degree-by-degree mouseover feedback so must be read by looking at where the 'T' points, which is north.

Another factor to include in compass readings is magnetic declination - the difference in position between true north and magnetic north. As the magnetic pole is not at the North pole and is instead somewhere in northern Canada, there's a difference in magnetic and true bearings depending on one's position on the planet - in the case of Southeast England/Pas de Calais/Normandy in 1940, about -10 degrees. In this case, if your compass is pointing 0, your true bearing is in fact 350.

Hope this helps

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

To use your DG (Directional Gyro or indicator):

1- Set the P-8 compass Course Setter with the + of compass needle, read in that silly blue digital "HUD" - since P-8 still without their Lubber Line - the actual HDG.

2 - Set DG with the HDG read in 1, now DG became usable... until you make curves under G.

4 - If make turns under G or after ~15m, check the reading in P-8 again (1).

That's "British way".

More: http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/flig...vanced_nav.php
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-14-2017 at 01:10.

4. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Great info here, but I must say, the only time I've been lost on the channel map was when I tried to use the compass and gyro... lol. Using the sun and a couple obvious land marks throughout the map is perfect for me.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

The P8 is easier to read in the Spit than the hurri but even in the hurri it can be easily done by putting the aircraft on a general East heading (using the position of the sun and time of day) - that way the T bar moves to the left of the compass where it can be more easily seen from behind the stick.

For channel flying and even inland, learning a few "trues" about the coast line may help to. So for instance the general direction of the coastline between deal and manston or Gap Grez Nez to Calais or Littlestone to Eastchurch. Its rough and ready but that's often all you need.

S!

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    That's "British way".
    Make something that works really really well and then put it in an application where it doesn't work very well at all !

I will get right on it. !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

OK... I think I am onto somthing....

How about underwater tyre levers? Canvas ones to keep the weight down.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    452.97 MB

Thanks for all info, guys. Learned good tips here.
    I was doing something like 10 min of dogfights so I'll put this on the "maneuvering" bill. As I said, I was just trying the sim so I picked up a quick mission where you start in the air and already engaging enemies, so no time to set compass and stuff.
    Next time I'll use the world compass (sun) to double-check my gyro.

Edit post: thanks for the link, 1lokos (http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/flig...vanced_nav.php). Much appreciated.
    Last edited by joker68; Jul-14-2017 at 08:26.