Thread: WW1 sim

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    329.0 KB

WW1 sim

Hi folk's, I'm not new here but have not flown cliffs or bos much, mostly if not always ROF.
    So my question is, now TF has the source code for cliff's what would the chances of building a ww1 sim. 777 has basically given up on ROF and the BS that's going on over there has just about killed the sim. Most of us love the ww1 era and can't get enough of the open cockpit. The true dog fight. I know there's a ton of work and cliffs comes first, I personaly can't wait for patch 5 to come out. So what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: WW1 sim

Quote Originally Posted by grahamshere View Post
    Hi folk's, I'm not new here but have not flown cliffs or bos much, mostly if not always ROF.
    So my question is, now TF has the source code for cliff's what would the chances of building a ww1 sim. 777 has basically given up on ROF and the BS that's going on over there has just about killed the sim. Most of us love the ww1 era and can't get enough of the open cockpit. The true dog fight. I know there's a ton of work and cliffs comes first, I personaly can't wait for patch 5 to come out. So what do you think?
    You'll be happy to know we'll be including two biplanes in TF 5.0... the Gloster Gladiator and the Fiat CR42 Falco.

So you will have a chance to fly the old style aircraft.

As far as WWI is concerned, that is not on the horizon right now for us... we have a number of Scenario goals in WWII to accomplish first.

But don't dispair, there is definitely an interest in this area among the Flight Simulation Development community.

3. Likes farley, ATAG_TCP, Gingerbread liked this post
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

We all have a small number of options nowadays in sims, whether it be air, naval, vehicles, etc. I get what you're saying, but unfortunately sims have gone from a top genre in gaming to a niche. And WWI air combat has become a "niche within a niche", with WWII and jets being more interesting to the community as a whole. I would be interested in a high quality campaign based WWI sim myself (that is also devoid of payware, modules, pre-alpha, whatever), as I haven't played anything like that since the 90s.

For what it's worth, the creator of Red Baron (1990) is seeking resources and funding to revive that series.

5. Likes Gingerbread liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    329.0 KB

I for one will enjoy the biplanes but not sure how they would hold up against any of the mono fighters. unless there will be maps with just the biplanes.

Yes, I agree that ww1 is a nitch with in a nitch but there are very few in that nitch where there are far more flying ww2 and jet fighters. rise of flight and Flanders in fields are the only 2 ww1 I know of and like I said ROF is more than toast now for more reasons than you'd like to know. And Flanders has no multiplayer.

I have heard that some one was trying to bring back Red Baron but what I have seen is it's more arcade than sim.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

I for one will enjoy the biplanes but not sure how they would hold up against any of the mono fighters. unless there will be maps with just the biplanes.
    Ive got some preliminary ideas for a desert multiplyer mission in which the first hour will involve only the 1940 plane set (Glads, CR42s, Blennys, early Hurris) and then the second 2 hours will have the early mid 41 plane set (later model Hurris, beaufighters, martlets, tomahawks, 109s, 110s etc). The last hour will then have the later aircraft types plus all the earlier types so if you want to still fly Glads against 109Fs you can etc.

All preliminary ideas and will need some script magic to make it happen. Bt at least one current mission in rotation has something similar re aircraft types becoming available later in the mission so im hoping this will work and be a good balance in letting people fly early v early aircraft and then the later types as well later in the mission.

Ezzie

8. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Yes, I agree that ww1 is a nitch with in a nitch but there are very few in that nitch where there are far more flying ww2 and jet fighters. rise of flight and Flanders in fields are the only 2 ww1 I know of and like I said ROF is more than toast now for more reasons than you'd like to know. And Flanders has no multiplayer.

I have heard that some one was trying to bring back Red Baron but what I have seen is it's more arcade than sim.
    If someone builds a 1940/early '41 mission for the Tobruk map, that will include the Gladiator, CR42, Fiat G-50 and early two pitch Hurricane. The biplanes will be competitive in that environment, although they will have a tough time versus the bombers... the Blenheim is almost faster than the CR42, and the BR20 will be very tough to shoot down with only four .303's.

Also forgot to mention:

We will have three types of armed Tiger Moths in TF 4.5. (with the student removed)

- One carrying 25 lber bombs

- One with an over the wing Vickers .303 MG

- One with a engine mount 7.92mm MG firing through the prop

We will also build a short 1 hour 'Tiger Moth Island' fun type mission which will have exclusively Tiger Moths.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jul-16-2017 at 11:50.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    329.0 KB

Sound's pretty cool guy's, can't wait. Maybe now I might have a chance to convince my buddy's to switch to cliffs instead of fly a dead game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    If someone builds a 1940/early '41 mission for the Tobruk map, that will include the Gladiator, CR42, Fiat G-50 and early two pitch Hurricane. The biplanes will be competitive in that environment, although they will have a tough time versus the bombers... the Blenheim is almost faster than the CR42, and the BR20 will be very tough to shoot down with only four .303's.

Also forgot to mention:

We will have three types of armed Tiger Moths in TF 4.5. (with the student removed)

- One carrying 25 lber bombs

- One with an over the wing Vickers .303 MG

- One with a engine mount 7.92mm MG firing through the prop

We will also build a short 1 hour 'Tiger Moth Island' fun type mission which will have exclusively Tiger Moths.
    Whooooiiieeeee!!!!!

I just bought the cahnell thibg edition of rise of flight to get some ww1 action in....

A dedicated mothballs mission sounds awesome!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

A theoretical new Red Baron game would be similar to the previous offerings...maybe not an extreme in-depth modeling of the aircraft, but a balance of sim elements with quality mission/campaign design.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    113.86 MB

I know this is an older thread, but in case there are any WWI fans still here...

I created an new WWI arena for a game called Aces High. The arena is listed as "WWI: Western Front" on the main tab not the Mission Arena as I originally thought.

I created it because I could hardly ever find anyone to fly against in the normal WWI arena. This one is populated with a constantly running set of AI as well as any humans that might be in there. So there is always something to shoot at.

The Aces High game client is a free download. You have to create a login account, but you do NOT have to give a cc. The WWI arenas are in the free area, so even after your trial expires you'd be free to fly there as much as you like.

https://www.hitechcreations.com/down...downloads-game

Aces High has excellent VR support IMHO, which to me now days is almost a hard requirement.

Here is a little video I made for it:

If anyone wanted to give it a try, ping me here and I'd be glad to meet you in the arena and help you get situated with your controls and such.

Regards,
    CptTrips

14. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

777 has basically given up on ROF ....
    "The king is dead, long live the king!"

circus_1_ea_jtSIxRE.jpg

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/flying-circus/

16. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Gingerbread liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    113.86 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

Yep, I have early the access. I hope they really do something with that. I'll be watching it.

I love WWI and love flying with VR. I think WWI is a perfect match for VR. The closer range and slower convergence speeds really allow your to enjoy a VR experience even better than WWII, IMHO.

<S>,
    CptTrips

18. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    969.78 MB

Now, fortunately, with volume 2 EA out and volume 3 confirmed,
    it looks like we will really be getting full fledged successor to RoF.