Thread: Oculus VR and BoX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Oculus VR and BoX

I won'y make this a long descriptionor hopefully open a new bag of worms either...
    I recently bit the bullet & bought Oculus with a new rig to power it up( its been 3-4 years since I had a upgrade so I was due.My impressions are probably like most others .It is impressive & immersive With an GTX 1080 card I get about 45-100 fps( the lower end with HUDs on)so quite a bit better than my old 770 card got playing BoS or CloD.As others have found there is quite a bit of degradation of image in mid to long distance which is a big drawback at present even in the Steam endorsed version of VR/BoX.Its quite a noticeable change from say TrackIR clarity,but having said that it is difficult to tear oneself away & going back to TrackIR except to complete careers or for points.This is because the immersion is such a mind bending experience being in & around the cockpit of the planes and in particular the new Spitfire V.I've only used it as a SP but at least one post writer has said he has used it in MP as well with ok results.I'm not sure if you could do this without HUDs becuse images in the distance just don't show up except as smudges.There is talk of a newer version being available in under two years & I'll probably trade these goggles in when that time comes , but for now I am pleased I got in on VR...really pleased
    I have read the posts here on VR & I perceive its a ways off too ,if ever,but I do hope someday it will bed developed I think it would make this beautiful sim even better esp. after the release of TF5.00

2. Likes ATAG_Dave, BOO, ATAG_Vampire, javelina liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Re: Oculus VR and BoX

Thanks for the review...Good to read reviews on the Oculus as I keep a keen eye on how its evolving with WW2 flight sims...

Thanks Blitz...~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Thanks for the review. I'd be interested to hear your impressions in Multiplayer when you get to it. Ive had the rift for 6 months - I think its incredible but gut feel is the poor resolution would make it very hard to fly competitively in multipler air combat sims. Immersion factor is off the scale though - really hope we get this in clod one day.

S!

5. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

BTW- Here is their new Spit V...I am really lokking forward to ours ( well you know what I mean...)post-19-0-32685000-1496322182.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

I really like how well BoX works in VR as well. It works well even in competitive multiplayer servers due to the model LoDs, so you don't need icons to tell friend or foe.

Certainly there are some quality issues. Obviously you can get a very pretty image on a 2d monitor vs a 3d HMD, but I don't find the quality loss to be a game breaker by any means... some of the loss you can't really notice with an HMD due to the resolution.

I strongly recommend trying BoX/VR in multiplayer if you get the chance, you'll be surprised at how nicely it works.

BoX is probably one of the better VR games out there. The tec is nicely implemented.

8. Likes ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    14.08 MB

Love my Oculus. If you have not given DCS world at try with it you should.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    424.49 MB

I don't know how the quality, just info.
    bandicam 2017-08-08 20-59-41-050.jpg
    https://reshade.me/compatibility
    Running other games in Oculus: (a free alternative to vorpX, and without TriDef)

Launch "BigScreen Beta" or "Virtual Desktop -Virtual Desktop"

1. Download Reshade: https://reshade.me/ (currently Version 3.0.8 from July 16, 2017).
    The list of compatibility games to run here: https://reshade.me/compatibility
    In games, MSAA / SSAA must be disabled.
    2. Download SuperDepth3D: https://github.com/B...efender/Depth3D
    3. Run Reshade, then find and select a game from the list in which you want to play
    4. Copy the SuperDepth3D.fx file from the SuperDepth3D folder, and insert SuperDepth3D.fx into the new folder "reshade-shaders / Shaders" found in the game you want to play.
    5. Start the game and press "Shift F2" to open the "ReShade" menu.
    6. Select "SuperDepth3D" and set the switch key. I'm using F11.
    7. Select DM0 from the "SuperDepth3D" drop-down menu. (I would recommend that you check the settings of the BEST games on the ReShade and SuperDepth3D sites)
    8. Launch Virtual Desktop-Virtual Desktop and press F7. (This will also work with Bigscreen Beta by pressing "F6"), but at the moment it is very variable in HMD.
    9. Play from Rift to 3D.
    Last edited by Cassius; Aug-08-2017 at 14:18.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    270.17 MB

Hi,

No equivalency for vr htc vive ?
    "Not mad just addicted" said the doctor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SunCup View Post
    Hi,

No equivalency for vr htc vive ?
    VorpX works on the Vive

I don't recommend it.

Reshade and VorpX do not render 3d. Watch above Fallout video and look at the difference between the L and R eye when the player is standing close to an object. You would expect a slight offset in perspective between the L and R eye, but there is none.

Take a game that is truely 3d:

You'll notice at the beginning of the video, Rick's head obscures some objects on the shelf on the R image, but on the L image you can still see them. This is because you're not a cyclops and the game is actually rendered in 3d. (Awesome game BtW)

You don't see effects like that on the demo video of Fallout, because Reshade and VorpX don't actually render a 3d image. It just adds a post effect.

Now, the shaders VorpX uses do kind of work... as long as you don't get really close to a wall. I remember Chivalry: Medieval warfare almost looked 3d, but your perspective is way off. You feel like a 10 foot giant with your arms coming out of your ears.

Most other games, like ARMA3, don't look 3d at all. They just add a "depth of field" style post effect so things are blurry when you're close to you, but aren't at the center of your screen. Also most FPS games (ARMA included) render your gun in the center of your screen, so it looks like your rifle is coming out of your chest

A lot of these games just weren't designed to be run in VR, and even when these programs could eventually render a non VR game in 3d, they don't look good. Even simple things like your HUD, look strange in VR if they are not rendered properly. Most VR games render their HUD or icons as a 3d object out in space. If you try to render it flat on the screen, you'll either have issues with double vision, or some really odd depth issues because it looks like the icons are right in front of your nose.

I'm sure you've seen Youtube videos titled "OMG ARMA 3 in VR!!!!" where the person raves about how incredible the game looks in 3d, but they're just blowing smoke. It's click bait, and they are just over reacting in an attempt to make the video entertaining, or to push a product (like VorpX).

Because let's face it, a Youtuber sitting at his desk going "Uh, it's O.K. I guess..." just isn't going to attract as many viewers as someone crapping their pants and screaming their heads off because "It all looks sO AMAZING!"

Sorry to ruin your hopes and dreams if you expected one of these programs to give you a great 3d Fallout experience.

But there is good news!

Bethesda is actually working on a VR version of Fallout and Skyrim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_NakedSquirrel View Post
    VorpX works on the Vive

I don't recommend it.

Reshade and VorpX do not render 3d. Watch above Fallout video and look at the difference between the L and R eye when the player is standing close to an object. You would expect a slight offset in perspective between the L and R eye, but there is none.

Take a game that is truely 3d:

You'll notice at the beginning of the video, Rick's head obscures some objects on the shelf on the R image, but on the L image you can still see them. This is because you're not a cyclops and the game is actually rendered in 3d. (Awesome game BtW)

You don't see effects like that on the demo video of Fallout, because Reshade and VorpX don't actually render a 3d image. It just adds a post effect.

Now, the shaders VorpX uses do kind of work... as long as you don't get really close to a wall. I remember Chivalry: Medieval warfare almost looked 3d, but your perspective is way off. You feel like a 10 foot giant with your arms coming out of your ears.

Most other games, like ARMA3, don't look 3d at all. They just add a "depth of field" style post effect so things are blurry when you're close to you, but aren't at the center of your screen. Also most FPS games (ARMA included) render your gun in the center of your screen, so it looks like your rifle is coming out of your chest

A lot of these games just weren't designed to be run in VR, and even when these programs could eventually render a non VR game in 3d, they don't look good. Even simple things like your HUD, look strange in VR if they are not rendered properly. Most VR games render their HUD or icons as a 3d object out in space. If you try to render it flat on the screen, you'll either have issues with double vision, or some really odd depth issues because it looks like the icons are right in front of your nose.

I'm sure you've seen Youtube videos titled "OMG ARMA 3 in VR!!!!" where the person raves about how incredible the game looks in 3d, but they're just blowing smoke. It's click bait, and they are just over reacting in an attempt to make the video entertaining, or to push a product (like VorpX).

Because let's face it, a Youtuber sitting at his desk going "Uh, it's O.K. I guess..." just isn't going to attract as many viewers as someone crapping their pants and screaming their heads off because "It all looks sO AMAZING!"

Sorry to ruin your hopes and dreams if you expected one of these programs to give you a great 3d Fallout experience.

But there is good news!

Bethesda is actually working on a VR version of Fallout and Skyrim.
    Thanks so much for the post- you saved me a bit of work & possibly a lot of heartbreak. I'll fly BoS when I need a fix of VR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.21 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Teetwo View Post
    Love my Oculus. If you have not given DCS world at try with it you should.
    Indeed, DCS with VR is awesome. There's no way I can go back to TrackIR and 2D. The immersion is wonderful. BoX is also great.

One day would love to see CloD have it.
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control, Reverb G2, SteamVR res: 2820x2760 (80%), nVidia driver 536.23

15. Likes Lensman liked this post