Thread: More Weather

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    73.08 MB

More Weather

I'm sure this has been debated at length in the past, and I'm sure the lack of weather effects in most ATAG missions (except maybe Fall Rot) is done with some reason or other in mind. Still, I've not found much about. Therefore the topic.

Not trying to stir anything up here, just genuinely curious as to why. Adding more weather effects would deffinately make the missions a little more interesting imo. I fly on ATAG nearly every day, and seeing clear skies all the time would grow kind of tiresome in the long run.

Thanks and Regards,
    Z.
    Last edited by Woop; Jul-26-2017 at 06:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Re: More Weather

Have you ever opened the Full Mission Builder?

o7
    John Lydgate: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    73.08 MB

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, please explain.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    I'm sure this has been debated at length in the past, and I'm sure the lack of weather effects in most ATAG missions (except maybe Fall Rot) is done with some reason or other in mind. Still, I've not found much about. Therefore the topic.

Not trying to stir anything up here, just genuinely curious as to why. Adding more weather effects would deffinately make the missions a little more interesting imo. I fly on ATAG nearly every day, and seeing clear skies all the time would grow kind of tiresome in the long run.

Thanks and Regards,
    Z.
    In the early versions of London Ruft i had random weather as well as the large cloud formation objects. Unfortunately the random weather was too challenging for some players - especially the wind - and so it was removed after a while. And the cloud objects - if you go into the fmb you can see what they look like - added a big load to some players GPUs and may have contributed to a seemingly increased incidence of invisible planes being encountered during this mission. So they were removed as well.

I think having more weather would be great - and Fall Rot is one of my favourite maps for that reason as cloud can be used tactically on that map more so than many others - but like most things its a balance to ensure it works for the majority.

Early on there was some discussion of improved weather effects for TFS but am not sure if any work is being done in that area at the moment.

Ezzie

5. Likes farley, PanTast, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    73.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    In the early versions of London Ruft i had random weather as well as the large cloud formation objects. Unfortunately the random weather was too challenging for some players - especially the wind - and so it was removed after a while. And the cloud objects - if you go into the fmb you can see what they look like - added a big load to some players GPUs and may have contributed to a seemingly increased incidence of invisible planes being encountered during this mission. So they were removed as well.

I think having more weather would be great - and Fall Rot is one of my favourite maps for that reason as cloud can be used tactically on that map more so than many others - but like most things its a balance to ensure it works for the majority.

Early on there was some discussion of improved weather effects for TFS but am not sure if any work is being done in that area at the moment.

Ezzie
    Thanks for the explanation Ezzie. That makes sense I guess. Would be nice to see some more maps with more cloud though. Fall Rot is also one of my favourite maps. Would be nice to see a few more like that, is all.

Regards,
    Z.

7. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Certainly more weather would be nice on some maps (albeit not in reality, judging from the look out of my window).

But as far as I know (which might not be very far indeed), there is another problem especially with clouds. People who spawn at different points of time during the running time of a map might see quite different clouds at different places.
    So, if you try to hide in a cloud, you might still be fully visible to other players and vice versa.

9. Likes PanTast, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

What I was trying to say:

open the FMB and build something. Try to find out what works. If you want something, make it happen. We can test it on server2 any time.

o7
    John Lydgate: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    73.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_PanTast View Post
    What I was trying to say:

open the FMB and build something. Try to find out what works. If you want something, make it happen. We can test it on server2 any time.

o7
    It was question mostly addressed to the mission making/coding wizards here, that have of course better skills than me. You could teach a pox ridden monkey to deal with technical issues better than I do.

Will fiddle about in the fmb though, I'll start out with the question "how hard can it be?", to which the answer will invariably be "very". Never hurt to try though, eh?

Thanks for the reply, sir.

@DerDa Now that is depressing. If TFS need to have something at the top of the list for fixing, it's that imo...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

"It was question mostly addressed to the mission making/coding wizards here, that have of course better skills than me. You could teach a pox ridden monkey to deal with technical issues better than I do."

Ha! I can identify with that!

I found a Dunkirk Campaign in the Single Player subforum that has some heavy overcast on Day 3 of the campaign. (Can't remember the creator's name, but will post the link here later). I was pleased that my system handled it fine in terms of frame rate and smoothness. It does add to the immersion to be peering down at the beach through breaks in the clouds!

EDIT: Here it is: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=23692

BTW, does anyone have a well-populated Operation Dynamo single mission, ie crowded beach, lots of watercraft, huge smoke plumes, aircraft, etc etc etc? Might be brutal on frame rates but makes for good screenshots?
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Jul-26-2017 at 12:00.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

13. Likes Woop, farley liked this post
    Supporting Member EAF331 Starfire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    75.14 MB

The weather in Cod is boring in most missions.
    Which makes it better than what we have had in Denmark all summer.
    I know worse weather decrease my framerate, but I am in it for the immersion. Not the unrealistic clear skies that favor the fighter jocks.
    "....Perspective only comes from knowing more than you need to know"
    - Chris Kubasik
    "But ignorence still prevails" -Starfire

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    62.82 MB

The wind could do with some gusting... just a little for most parts. Most of us are Fair weather pilots... .

Supporting Member EAF331 Starfire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    75.14 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    In the early versions of London Ruft i had random weather as well as the large cloud formation objects. Unfortunately the random weather was too challenging for some players...

Ezzie
    "some players" needs to learn to fly in real weather.

Sorry but I could not help it.
    In my squad we teach people to deal with weather.
    In IL2 1946 we did carrier take off and landings in rough weather and that sim had a lot lower fidelity.
    Try landing on an airfield at the size of a football field that jumps up and down all the time. I still remember a SEOW where we had to land and had less than 7 minutes to spare.
    "....Perspective only comes from knowing more than you need to know"
    - Chris Kubasik
    "But ignorence still prevails" -Starfire

17. Likes Woop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Cool Re: More Weather

Not just the weather guys, I wish clod had more "life"

I would like some birds to shoot at,
    Some cows If I ever crash land near them to drink some milk
    Can we have dolphins too? what about pinguins, ok ok enough.

If we have weather (wind) Im sure people will take off in the right way!!

wathever, its late and Im tired, I will go sleep ZzzZz
    Last edited by Maru; Aug-17-2017 at 20:00.

19. Likes Woop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post

I would like some birds to shoot at,
    Some cows If I ever crash land near them to drink some milk
    Can we have dolphins too? what about pinguins, ...
    But Maru, we have already a sloth in our squad!

21. Likes Maru liked this post
    varrattu

I think a realistic values for both coastlines are 15 - 20 km/h / 8 - 11 kn wind in August.

~V~