Thread: Turning Speed 109

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.5 KB

Turning Speed 109

Hi,

I have recently gotten into Cliffs of Dover and I have joined the server a few times. Thoroughly enjoying this sim. Currently leanring a lot about the 109 and now I have a Track IR I can dealve a little more into basic combat maneuvers - such as Learning about energy management to keep an advantage.

My first of probably many questions is: What is the corner speed of the 109?

Thanks

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Turning Speed 109

Hello Tugboat

This is a really good thread on the 109 - lots of sage advice from 109 aces there.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=20732

Not sure itll answer you question on turning speed but I'm not sure that question can be simply answered given the number of variables.

Welcome to Clod!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

3. Likes ATAG_Deacon liked this post
    Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Hi Red! Welcome to the ATAG forums...I do not fly Blue typically so I will leave it up to others to respond to your question. I will add that if you look above in the yellow area and see where it says Team Fusion Wiki, you will find a ton of helpful information. Here is the link to make things easier:

https://www.theairtacticalassaultgro...u.php?id=start

Our fantastic ambassador ATAG_Lewis should be along shortly to introduce you to his beginner's guide. Please look through it as there is a wealth of info there too. Please get on TeamSpeak as you will find a phenomenal group of guys who are a ton of fun to interact with.

See you in the 'skies'

~S~

Deacon
    Last edited by ATAG_Deacon; Aug-10-2017 at 12:05.
    Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

On top of those useful posts above...and without too much knowledge on this subject I can see the questions coming your way...ie. at what alt...at what speed, which 109 are you talking about?

CLOD is massively complicated and we have some great historians who have studied more data and historical graphs than you or I could shake a stick at and thankfully those are the guys (TFS) who are in charge of influencing the FMs in CLOD...CLOD is adapted to different aircraft ,different alts, different speeds etc.... so you will be asked those questions before you get an answer in detail...as they all effect the turn rates..

What I can say is that it seems you have the right mentality for the 109...It is the top energy fighter in CLOD...and with that comes a specific way to fly it as you know...As a general rule the 109 will be out turned by all the other aircraft...The Hurri and G50 will turn best and the Spit comes in after that with the 109 being the lesser of all the turn devils...There are however times when the 109 can turn with a Spit...again at specific alts and speeds...altho I am not sure as or when cos when that's happening I ain't looking at my dash as I'm usually hanging on my pants...hehe
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Aug-10-2017 at 12:08.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RedTugBoat View Post
    Learning about energy management to keep an advantage.
    My first of probably many questions is: What is the corner speed of the 109?
    Short answer: don't.
    Longer answer: If you want to keep an E advantage on the 109, do not turn. Use your E to climb instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Oh..I nearly forgot...

Welcome to the Community and Forums RedTugBoat ...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve too...

Beginners Guide

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums you might want to bag for future reference...

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact spotting is massively important in any flight sim...Seeing that enemy before he sees you is a race you don't want to be second in...Check this link to see if you can tweak your rig any better...

Contact Spotting Test

Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

A must read for all CLOD enthusiasts is the recent news that has the whole community buzzing very heavily...

TeamFusion News

And finally...Please take the time to have a read of some of the stories of military family adventures by a few of the members of this forum...and maybe share yours with us...~S~

A Tribute to Those Who Served

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

===================================

Any UK members please let us know where abouts in the UK you are...Just for reference...Its always good to know just incase there happen to be folks who can help you or you can help locally...buy a joystick from or even just a chat in a pub with someone who is likeminded...

UK Based Player Location thread

Thanks...~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

8. Likes Fresh Giant, ATAG_Deacon, ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

you are going to find that in the 109e 1, 3, 4, that there is no such thing as turning speed most of us british pilots call that STD (speed to die)
    if you plan on getting into a turning fight you should fly the G50 an excellent turn fighter. The 109 turns well but is outturned by the british aircraft pretty easily. You need to learn how to boom and zoom and that will lead you to the top of the class turning will just get you killed >>> A LOT <<< The 109 is a hunter aircraft able to dive in strike and zoom away with impunity most blue pilots use lag pursuit and get the angle just right to climb onto your tail and then keep right on going past in a vertical maneuver then do it till the cows come home. There are some very skilled pilots out there but they seldom get into turn fights in a 109 maybe 1 turn or at the most 2 turns but you can bet they are looking for a way out after that.<S> Fatal
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

10. Likes ATAG_Deacon, ATAG_Lewis, ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.5 KB

Hi guys,

Haha, love the tugboat photo!

Thanks for replies and the useful information. I am currently at work and will read through when I get home tonight and reply properly. Looking forward to learning more from you guys.

Cheers

varrattu

Hi RedTugBoat,

for me corner speed is the lowest air speed at which a fighter can pull structural or aerodynamic limiting. Turning speed for me is somewhat different: the number of degrees of heading change per unit of time (usually measured in seconds) .

Concerning corner speed please have a look on what RAF74_Buzzsaw stated in January 2016:

"Most of the aircraft produced in WWII did not have detailed corner speed/time tests/calculations done."

~V~

13. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by varrattu View Post
    Hi RedTugBoat,

for me corner speed is the lowest air speed at which a fighter can pull structural or aerodynamic limiting. Turning speed for me is somewhat different: the number of degrees of heading change per unit of time (usually measured in seconds) .

Concerning corner speed please have a look on what RAF74_Buzzsaw stated in January 2016:

"Most of the aircraft produced in WWII did not have detailed corner speed/time tests/calculations done."

~V~
    That's an interesting and informative read, thank you. I suppose when chaos theory is involved, it is impossible to replicate the performance of an aircraft. There are so many system dynamics involved.

I am about to go through all the beginner information. Thanks a lot everybody for all the help. Hopefully I can begin to understand how to find someone online!

15. Likes ATAG_Deacon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

You got some great 109 pilots above with info for you...and I think you'll go along way to finding a more helpful community than this...I'm still learning stuff every day on these forums...Its quite amazing sometimes...Top community me thinks...~S~

17. Likes ATAG_Septic, BOO, ATAG_Deacon liked this post