Thread: 4.5+ and AMD Video Cards

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

4.5+ and AMD Video Cards

I'm curious if some of the issues of tearing and artifacts that can be seen on AMD cards with the game will be addressed in 4.5 ?

I'd really like to pick up the RX580 - and the AMD card I have now runs really well on most other games I play.

Thanks - looking forward to the next update!

"My idea of flying is to have a group take off together, stick together, fight together, try to accomplish the mission together and hopefully all land together" - AKA_Recon

2. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

Re: 4.5+ and AMD Video Cards

In the case of AMD and it's video cards, it's a driver issue on their side. The TF team brought up the hope that AMD will readdress their driver for Cliffs now that development has restarted, but for now NVIDIA cards are the way to go for this specific game.

It would probably help if a sizeable amount of members here (en masse) asked AMD customer service if they would look into the issues their cards have with this sim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

At the moment AMD cards are pretty expensive due to all the crypto currency mining, might be worth checking prices on some of the 10 series nvidia cards.
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello

Please wait till TF 4.5 is out to ask AMD.

We will be approaching them as well.

6. Likes ATAG_Pattle, SD_MBen, ATAG_Marlow, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello

Sounds good - Thanks Buzzsaw

"My idea of flying is to have a group take off together, stick together, fight together, try to accomplish the mission together and hopefully all land together" - AKA_Recon

8. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

Hello

That's a fine idea...just thought it would be smart to show AMD there is a demand to have this game revisited by their driver team. I would think the publisher (1C) would have the pull to get AMD to do this if they contacted them.

10. Likes SD_MBen, \Hawk/ liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post
    That's a fine idea...just thought it would be smart to show AMD there is a demand to have this game revisited by their driver team. I would think the publisher (1C) would have the pull to get AMD to do this if they contacted them.
    They have already with BOS. Think something got fixed eventually somewhere but it could have been incidental and it took an age.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Hello

I appreciate this!
    I know a lot of the other Chaps will to!
    Ben
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

13. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post
    In the case of AMD and it's video cards, it's a driver issue on their side.
    I think that is not just drivers - this issue was fixed before the latest MG patch, but the penultimate patch, that don't have the AMD issue introduce a engine start up difficult, so the last and rushed patch - to bury the project at once - was more a"roll back" of ~two patches before (it's say that managed by Lofte, future BoS developer).
    I know because at time I am buying a AMD HD 7970 (cost me $700) and research the issue first, buy the card and few weeks later the "blessed" final patch get back the "Durero Magic Square".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-11-2017 at 17:14.

15. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    42.04 MB

I have a R9 380 4GB and I don't even know what you all are talking about, performance issues? My card runs the game fine with nearly everything maxed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Not performance drop, but artifacts at FOV 70, 30 ("zoom" in), like this white lines (other is bands on beach).

The above picture is from MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB user:https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...o+magic+square
    Last edited by 1lokos; Sep-22-2017 at 13:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

So far in my " computer experience " I have used both AMD, Radeon and Nvidia.
    What I can tell from my past experiences is this:

- AMD\Radeon: They are really " mules ". They work well in pretty much all the circumstances and they are reliable but the image quality it's not their best point of force. I have never broke or " fried " one of these video cards. Speaking of the game ( IL2 CloD ) I think that the main advantage in respect to Nvidia ones is that the anti aliasing works also above x2 ( I can set mine on 8x without any problems ).
    Main problems: they have the tendency to generate artifacts ( see image posted above, a typical example ) and they seems to " suffer " more, in respect to Nvidia ones, when speaking of smoke particles\smoke effects ( very often you'll get slowdowns when close to huge smoke columns for example ).

My evaluation: good cards if you are aiming to a good compromise between performances and reliability but you will certainly not get the best. As said, in my opinion, not the best choice if you are aiming at top quality images.

- Nvidia: If you want the best ( speaking of image quality ) you have to get an Nvidia video card, there's no match around ( both now and in the past ). If you are an accustomed AMD\Radeon video card user soon as you'll get one of them you will notice immediately a HUGE difference in the image quality.
    On the negative side, in my opinion, in respect to AMD\Radeon, the main flaw is that they have an inferior cooling system in general, in respect to AMD\Radeon ones ( I strongly suggest to buy\built a cooling system that will keep them as cool as possible ) and they are less reliable ( normally they will last less than a AMD\Radeon video card due to the superior performances\constant usage at high levels ).
    If you will use one of them you will easily and quickly forget about all the problems that you may have noticed using the AMD\Radeon ones. They run very smoothly under every circumstance and their quality is in general far superior in respect to the AMD\Radeon ones.

My evaluation: The best video cards if you are aiming to the best image quality\performances available around so far. As said, in my opinion, the only thing about that you have to be very very careful is the card cooling system because if you will not take care of it, your Nvidia video card will " fry " pretty soon.

I hope this could help you. Note that these are very personal points of view based on what I have experienced so far and that they do not constitute the final word about the match between AMD\Radeon and Nvidia video cards.
    Other users may have different experiences, opinions and feedback from the ones I've expressed above. ( You know...sometimes also buying\using the same thing, a user can be extremely satisfied, for the other one could be a total nightmare when speaking of PC components... )

Salute!!!
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Sep-21-2017 at 21:26.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

19. Likes =FI=Murph, lil_head, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    61.12 MB

FWIW, I run with an AMD RX470 and have had 0 problems with artifacts or anything else. I also know other people who have been using modern AMD cards with no side effects. I'd say that if you have an older AMD chip, you may have issues, but post-2015 chips should be fine.

21. Likes lil_head liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Maybe the issue is too related to monitor (frequency ?) + VGA combination, as well resolution, is said that 2/4K don't show white lines in FOV 30, but the above mentioned "GPU - MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB" is certainly a "modern AMD card".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Sep-22-2017 at 13:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Not that Nvidia has covered themselves in glory either over the past while

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

A little history of the green team, worth it if you have the time. 2nd video deals with later gpu's, and how they sell us dumbed down gpu's with a nice new sticker.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

The point of this topic is not AMD x Nvidia "war", or what is the best, or has better cost benefit.

Is the fact that for CLOD AMD cards cause graphical issues - white lines on sea, bands on beach in zoomed FOV - for several users since end of 2012, and the topic linked above show that issue persist with actual RX models.

I believed that CloD has part of guilt in the issue, since this was briefly solved before the last oficial "roll back" patch.

Maybe with Source Code TF could look at this issue or ask for AMD look at this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    The point of this topic is not AMD x Nvidia "war", or what is the best, or has better cost benefit.

Is the fact that for CLOD AMD cards cause graphical issues - white lines on sea, bands on beach in zoomed FOV - for several users since end of 2012, and the topic linked above show that issue persist with actual RX models.

I believed that CloD has part of guilt in the issue, since this was briefly solved before the last oficial "roll back" patch.

Maybe with Source Code TF could look at this issue or ask for AMD look at this.
    Gold words mate!!!
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

TF mentioned they will approach AMD or Nvidia for support once 4.5 is official out. I hope as well that the new DX will fix some graphic issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Absolutely Sir.
    However as a consumer, and long time Nvidia client it is always good to know what is going on on the market.
    Nvidia has been the 'king' for a long time. My last ATI card was in like 2000 or something.

I am dying for threadripper and multicore platforms.

The OP asks a valid question looking forward, in reality the crux of the question is really 'is AMD innit to win it' with the gaming industry?
    They have for a long time kicked Nvidia to touch in the workload environment, so is this a turning point?

It seems, if you watch those videos, that the main hardware suppliers are now taking another view.

Hence why I linked some videos.

29. Likes MezzA liked this post
    Dislikes finch disliked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Maybe the issue is too related to monitor (frequency ?) + VGA combination, as well resolution, is said that 2/4K don't show white lines in FOV 30, but the above mentioned "GPU - MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB" is certainly a "modern AMD card".
    I have an RX 480 and I have a white box when I use FOV 30 etc. Also outside this is a large white circle that touches each corner of the square. I've testes on a 4k (30Hz) monitor and its still there. I have an 22 inch monitor 1080p at 60 HZ and its still there. I wonder what hz flying fish is running at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I should add - I have been playing BOS , etc... and it runs fantastic without any visual issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post

Absolutely Sir.
    However as a consumer, and long time Nvidia client it is always good to know what is going on on the market.
    Nvidia has been the 'king' for a long time. My last ATI card was in like 2000 or something.

I am dying for threadripper and multicore platforms.

The OP asks a valid question looking forward, in reality the crux of the question is really 'is AMD innit to win it' with the gaming industry?
    They have for a long time kicked Nvidia to touch in the workload environment, so is this a turning point?

It seems, if you watch those videos, that the main hardware suppliers are now taking another view.

Hence why I linked some videos.
    Please don't make it a video preference discussions -my AMD has been outstanding and I've had no issues on any games outside of CloD lines - so I'm fairly convinced it's an issue with CloD itself and not AMD

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    143.16 MB

Everything is not sunny for nvidia cards for Cliffs.

High end video cards (and CPUs) are slowing down while low flying over urban areas.

Highly probable is a driver issue but (I think) it is not the only reason. Buildings were always problematic in Cliffs starting from day one. Early and following patches solved the problem in some degree, but never completely ironed out.

I don't know the upcoming Dx transition will solve the problem or not. But I just want to point out.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Quote Originally Posted by TURK_Enlem View Post
    Everything is not sunny for nvidia cards for Cliffs.

High end video cards (and CPUs) are slowing down while low flying over urban areas.

Highly probable is a driver issue but (I think) it is not the only reason. Buildings were always problematic in Cliffs starting from day one. Early and following patches solved the problem in some degree, but never completely ironed out.

I don't know the upcoming Dx transition will solve the problem or not. But I just want to point out.
    Urban areas = more poly. Any software and hardware will loss fps with more poly rendering.

I notice "normal" FPS loss in large urban areas in my modest 1050 4GB. Not a big problem.

But some pop up of large structures maybe can be tweaked, with more buildings render with low lods.
    Last edited by =AN=Lobo; Sep-26-2017 at 07:54.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    143.16 MB

These are from 109 Le Havre quick mission:

Notice GPU load drops from 82% to 32%. This is the problem I'm talking about and I'm not the first person pointed out the problem.

NvCP: default, Vsync/AF/AA: off, B. details: very low, B. Amount: High, Everything else: High

i7 4770K-4 ghz, Gtx 1080, Driver: 385.69, Res. 1080p.

LeHavreHigh.jpg LeHavreLow.jpg

36. Likes =AN=Lobo liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Notice GPU load drops from 82% to 32%. This is the problem I'm talking about and I'm not the first person pointed out the problem.

NvCP: default, Vsync/AF/AA: off, B. details: very low, B. Amount: High, Everything else: High

SSD? Maybe some streaming issue? Here when I changed for SSD streaming improves a lot. Let's see with 4.5 64bits If this will change.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post226758 I believe this is the answer you seek. I had the same(ish) question.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    217.20 MB

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Recon View Post
    I'm curious if some of the issues of tearing
    I can confirm that I saw tearing on my 6850 and also now on my new 7950. It's as if the VSYNC option in Video Options does nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.59 MB

Not performance drop, but artifacts at FOV 70, 30 ("zoom" in), like this white lines (other is bands on beach).

The above picture is from MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB user:https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...o+magic+square
    Just an FYI. I've had seen that kind of artifact with Nvidia EVGA GTX1060 3GB about 3 or 4 months ago. So I exchanged it for a 6GB version from Asus. I saw the artifcat all the way from Theville to Bembridge.
    Last edited by Kwings714; Dec-22-2017 at 02:33.
    Weapons of choice
    MS Force Feedback 2, Saitek Rudder, Nvidia GTX 1080 (Reference Design), AMD Ryzen 2200g (3.95 Ghz OC Game Mode) Asrock B450 iTX/AC, 16G GSkill 3200 Mhz @14 CAS
    OpenTrack and DIY Head-Tracker (Wire) https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=28730 (Many thanks to OpenSource Contributer) 'S