Thread: Bf-110 C4N - poss engine oil temp bug (stb engine)?

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Bf-110 C4N - poss engine oil temp bug (stb engine)?

I've noticed this a few times but havent been able to screen capture it until just now when i had a long one engined flight back to Theville from the IOW (S Maru!).

It seems the engine oil temp of the stb engine is somehow linked to the engine oil temp of the #1 engine -maybe?. During this sortie due to damage i had to throttle my port engine (#1) down to zero throttle with the radiators closed and pitch at 0830 as per standard single engined SOPs. I opened the radiators of the good engine (#2) to fully open and flew the rpm/ata at the continuous setting.

What is interesting is the oil temps.

The #1 oil temp dropped to 81 degrees which is expected given the zero throttle. However the #2 engine oil temp was also showing 84 degrees despite it still working and operating at continuous setting with rads fully open. Normally the #2 engine oil temp is around 92 when in typical cruise mode with radiators at 50-50. So 84 seems a tad low.

Ive attached some screen grabs showing the #1 and #2 engine oil temps and rpms etc.

20170827195412_1.jpg20170827195427_1.jpg20170827195455_1.jpg20170827195504_1.jpg20170827195713_1.jpg

Intuitively i would not expect #1 and #2 engine oil temps to have similar temps given the different operating configurations (#1: zero throttle, fuel still on, 0830 pitch fully closed rads; #2 continuous settings for rpm and ata, fuel still on, rads fully open) and i'm wondering if the #2 engine oil temp is modelled to just be similar to whatever # 1 is at the time (ie #1 temp plus a few degrees) maybe to simplify the coding? But i could be wrong.

Before i log it I'd be interested in what others think. Does it make sense for these 2 engines to have similar oil temps despite different operating conditions or is there something unusual going on. Again its not a big deal but just thought i'd raise it and perhaps log it for investigation down track perhaps?

Ezzie
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Re: Bf-110 C4N - poss engine oil temp bug (stb engine)?

2nd time lucky

Did a quick test offline with one of the quick missions. Set up level flight at continuous settings with rads fully open and took screen grabs of the temps (#1 92, #2 89)

20170827205246_1.jpg20170827205255_1.jpg

Throttled #1 back to zero throttle and 0830 pitch and re-established level flight. Took screen grabs that showed the temp drop on #1 to 80 and #2 to 83

20170827205405_1.jpg20170827205417_1.jpg

I hadnt done anything to the #2 engine which was still operating at the same rpm and ata and yet its oil temp had dropped by 6 degrees. This strikes me as odd?

Ezzie

4. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    415.4 KB

I have noticed this too. I didn't look into it much, just figured the engine was running off both sets of rads or something wacky.
    ZG26_Sir_Racha - The Sauce that Bites

Bf-110 staffel leader
    ZG26 "Horst Wessel"
    3U+RN

Join the fight with the 51! Bf-110 staffel or Bf-109 staffel positions open!
    Contact anyone with the JG51 or ZG26 tag (Hop in our section in the ATAG TS and fly out with us!) or message Teetwo or Ogg (Bf-109), or Myself (Bf-110).
    Merciless and Cruel
    ))) BRUTAL AND AGGRESSIVE (((

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Thanks, will have a look.

7. Likes ZG26_Sir_Racha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Hi Ezzie,

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Thanks, will have a look.
    now you definitely can put it in the bugtracker. It is not simply *not a bug*.

Cheers,
    Artist

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Maybe Ezzie in the first post add also a link to the first discussion about it so it will be easy to cross-check if needed.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Stab I./JG 51 - Mölders View Post
    Maybe Ezzie in the first post add also a link to the first discussion about it so it will be easy to cross-check if needed.
    Standard requirement of Bugtracker entries: Link to the discussion in the forums...

11. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    Hi Ezzie,

now you definitely can put it in the bugtracker. It is not simply *not a bug*.

Cheers,
    Artist
    Will do later this week hopefully Artist.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stab I./JG 51 - Mölders View Post
    Molders - is there an earlier discussion? I did a quick search but couldnt find any - could u post the link if there is an earlier discussion and i will include it.

Ezzie

14. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    Molders - is there an earlier discussion? I did a quick search but couldnt find any - could u post the link if there is an earlier discussion and i will include it.

Ezzie
    No mate sorry I've confused the previous discussion about the fuel tanks with this...it's the age...
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    Will do later this week hopefully Artist.

Ezzie
    Artist - just added this to bug tracker as requested.

Ezzie

17. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Took a look at this over the afternoon today, can confirm what Ezzie experiences. Here are my test results for oil temperature:

Bf 110 C-4, Rads W60-O40 except when closed on inop engine. Temps all in degC.

Left engine shutdown
    Before: L 94 R 91
    After: L 78 R 85

Now here's the weird bit:

Right engine shutdown
    After: L 94 R 81

Shutting down the right engine on the 110 has no effect whatsoever on the left, but not vice versa! Water temperatures were unaffected by each other and only by their own engine state.

Also noticed something else weird, when you fully feather the engine to stop the propeller from rotating there is the message "Engine Stopping", and if you unfeather the engine back to full fine pitch it will only achieve about 1200 RPM at full throttle. Selecting the affected engine and hitting the "Toggle Selected Engines" binding, or start, it jumps straight back to normal RPM with no engine start message! I noticed that when I tested the right-hand engine in this state it could still drive the hydraulics for gear and flaps at normal speed.

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

19. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Pleaes add this to the bugtracker.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_kiwiflieger View Post
    Took a look at this over the afternoon today, can confirm what Ezzie experiences. Here are my test results for oil temperature:

Bf 110 C-4, Rads W60-O40 except when closed on inop engine. Temps all in degC.

Left engine shutdown
    After: L 78 R 85

Now here's the weird bit:

Right engine shutdown
    After: L 94 R 81

Shutting down the right engine on the 110 has no effect whatsoever on the left, but not vice versa! Water temperatures were unaffected by each other and only by their own engine state.

Also noticed something else weird, when you fully feather the engine to stop the propeller from rotating there is the message "Engine Stopping", and if you unfeather the engine back to full fine pitch it will only achieve about 1200 RPM at full throttle. Selecting the affected engine and hitting the "Toggle Selected Engines" binding, or start, it jumps straight back to normal RPM with no engine start message! I noticed that when I tested the right-hand engine in this state it could still drive the hydraulics for gear and flaps at normal speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Done

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.38 MB

I don't think there is a bug here. It seems the radiator is very efficient even on the ground(?), so I performed the worst case scenario test.
    Start on the ground.
    Shut down engine #1 (magnetos off).
    Close oil radiator for #2.
    Press full wheel brakes.
    Throttle max engine #2.
    Results in slow spinning around on the ground.
    Fairly soon oil temp on #2 went to 110 C, while temp on #1 remained around 80 C.
    Started new mission and doing opposite for #1 and #2.
    Oil temp on #1 went to 110 C, on #2 lingered around 80 C.
    So, all good more or less.

But...
    There seems to be a problem with water temps. Wrong engine water radiator blew up
    in both cases (when #1 running, rad blew on #2 and vice versa). Instruments actually
    show what game engine supplies (#1 stopped, #1 water temp goes high, while on #2 it
    remained steady, which is exactly opposite of what is expected). Even the smoke (I guess
    water vapor) started from the wrong engine.
    The correct water rad actually blew only when there was damage on the oil system reported.
    I tried He-111, same thing. Ju-88 looked OK, Beau looked OK.
    If you are interested, you can repeat those tests on all available twin engine planes and report
    so maybe I can find a common denominator (it could be 3d model, flight model, damage model,
    bug in the code). I tried a few things, but I couldn't find anything wrong.
    Last edited by MicroWave; Aug-30-2018 at 11:13.

23. Likes Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MicroWave View Post
    But...
    There seems to be a problem with water temps. Wrong engine water radiator blew up
    in both cases (when #1 running, rad blew on #2 and vice versa). Instruments actually
    show what game engine supplies (#1 stopped, #1 water temp goes high, while on #2 it
    remained steady, which is exactly opposite of what is expected). Even the smoke (I guess
    The correct water rad actually blew only when there was damage on the oil system reported.
    If you are interested, you can repeat those tests on all available twin engine planes and report
    so maybe I can find a common denominator (it could be 3d model, flight model, damage model,
    It has been somewhere reported that the He-111 blows rads on the wrong side even when shot.
    This is as far as I know not true for the Bf 110 and I think also not true for the Ju-88 - could be wrong about the Ju-88 though.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Aug-30-2018 at 12:04. Reason: Quotes

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MicroWave View Post
    I don't think there is a bug here. It seems the radiator is very efficient even on the ground(?), so I performed the worst case scenario test.
    Start on the ground.
    Shut down engine #1 (magnetos off).
    Close oil radiator for #2.
    Press full wheel brakes.
    Throttle max engine #2.
    Results in slow spinning around on the ground.
    Fairly soon oil temp on #2 went to 110 C, while temp on #1 remained around 80 C.
    Started new mission and doing opposite for #1 and #2.
    Oil temp on #1 went to 110 C, on #2 lingered around 80 C.
    So, all good more or less.

But...
    H MW,

Thanks for looking into this. Interesting results you got. If i get a chance i will see if i can replicate my earlier results in the air and then do what you did on the ground etc.

Do you know what -110 variant you used when you did the spinning on the ground test?

Ezzie

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.38 MB

I used Bf 110 4CN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

OK so i did some more testing. All online using sealion map.

First test was on the ground and i opened up both sets of radiators on #1 and #2 and then only turned on #1 and opened throttle up to ~ 25%. #1 engine temp and oil temp went up and #2 stayed down

Slide6.JPGSlide7.JPGSlide8.JPGSlide9.JPG

I then shut down#1 engine and watched the water temp rise until it got to about ~ 120 and then it blew - correct engine damage message shown and correct visuals

Slide11.JPG

Second test - repeated the test but this time used #2 engine with everything else the same. Same result including blowing the correct water radiator.

Third test - same as above but had both engines running but advanced the throttle on #1 to ~ 50%. #1 oil and water temps went up and #2 stayed down

Slide27.JPGSlide28.JPG

Slide29.JPGSlide30.JPG

So based on these test on the ground it appears that #1 and #2 engine and oil temp readings are independent of each other as MicroWave concluded earlier.

Fourth test - went flying and established level flight at 2K alt on ~ 30min settings with temp readings showing what i normally see (these are taken as i climbed to 2K)

Slide32.JPGSlide33.JPGSlide34.JPGSlide35.JPG

Shut down #1 engine leaving #2 more or less untouched re settings (some uncommanded changes did happen to pitch and ata but reconfigured) and watched what happenned. #1 temps dropped and so did #2 which is odd given the engine was running pretty much unchanged (I reset it to 30 min continuous settings)

Slide39.JPGSlide40.JPGSlide41.JPGSlide42.JPG

I flew back to base on one engine (#1 feathered) and watched temps. #1 dropped some more but #2 stayed at about the same temps.

Slide43.JPGSlide44.JPG

So the airborne temps seemed to confirm that #1 and #2 oil and water temps are independent of each other. But i'm not sure why #2 temps dropped when #1 was feathered given it was more or less working just as hard. And the aircraft was eventually much slower and i would have thought velocity would have some effect on temps ie if the engine is working just as hard but the aircraft is going slower then the temps should increase if airflow is being used in the cooling system. Maybe?

This might be totally legit behaviour and normal given how this system is designed / modelled. But it does seem a tad counter-intuitive.

But at the end of the day this isnt a show stopper in my opinion - there's only a very small number of people who fly -110s and only a small subset of them who probably fly often on a single engine and it doesnt provide any real advantange/disadvantage in my opinion. But if its a symptom of some underlying issue with engine cooling/heating that affects more than just the -110 it might be worth exploring some more.

Perhaps a Blennie flyer could repeat the above and see what happens?

Happy landings...

engine_temp.jpg

Ezzie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ATAG_Ezzie; Sep-04-2018 at 01:03.

28. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, QB.Creep, Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

I didn't came to test anything about this topic yet, though I want to give you the note that since 4.5 the water cools more rapid than before.

Because of the cooling being best at low altitude, the temps go lower than 4.312 at sea level as an effect of the rapid cooling.

But temps do still rise normal above limits, when using full throttle and max rpm at full throttle-height with max boost available (+12lbs for Spit and Hurri).