Thread: Any Ryzen pilots out there? if so, verdict?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    49.50 MB

Any Ryzen pilots out there? if so, verdict?

Hi All,

I am in the market to upgrade my CPU (from a FX8350).

Without the intent of starting a fanboy flame-war of Intel vs AMD; I am just curious if anyone is running a Ryzen CPU, and what is their findings.

i am partially look at a R5 1600 or 1600X. Of course this will also have to include: a new motherboard, new RAM and a new case to hold it all. (only re-using PSU, RX480 8GB GPU, and SSD/HHD)

Also in terms of future upgrading, rumor has it that AMD will support the AM4 socket for so time yet; and intel may be ditching the 1151 chipset with its next release. (basically i dont want to get a end-of-life motherboard)

I suppose I could wait to see what intel drops with Coffeelake to counter AMD....

back to original point: any Ryzen pilots?

Cheers,
    69th_LazyE

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Re: Any Ryzen pilots out there? if so, verdict?

Hi

Not yet, but maybe in the future.

Been watching the Threadripper stuff pretty closely to launch.
    I do not game much that more but man I could use those cores.

Currently on a 6700K intel, my last AMD was like in early 2000 or something.
    When I do get round to putting a new machine together that AMD stuff is really starting to look interesting. More appealing than Intel at the price point vs performance, depending what you look at.

I think the biggest issues will just be optimization, and time will cure that.
    On that note if you have a spare half hour or so take a look at how intel cornered the market over the last years, pretty ruthless and dodgey at best.

Kinda like why we have been getting dished out CPU's from them with very little performance increases to come with them, unless you sell a kidney.

Threadripper really looks like it is going to give the market a good shake up and wake up.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

I've been looking at CPUs, but not in much detail. It seems that the new AMD isn't really great for most gaming, unless you are also streaming. New Intel's out soon, so perhaps worth waiting?
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

There are a few posts on the BOS forum from chaps with the Ryzen. They seem to like the chip a lot. Especially those who do lots of video and graphic work also.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

Since 1997, I'd never had anything but an AMD CPU until this last year. It was time to move on from my old FX chip, and Ryzen was still a ways off. So, I went with an i5. As much as I love AMD, and I'm sure the Ryzen stuff isn't bad, it wasn't worth waiting...and of course the new AMD stuff is a definite 2nd place from a gaming standpoint again anyway.

If you're doing other intensive things and gaming, Ryzen is a good choice. If video editing or having a zillion things open at once aren't your thing, I would go to the new Intel stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

The intel stuff is the same old same old, nothing new.

While the threadripper stuff is brand spanking new, there is a lot of optimization that needs to take place with various other hardware vendors. It is evolving, Intel arguably stagnant and were at least confortable in their dominance prior to threadripper.

Now while on some games threadripper may lack others it doesnt, and when you look at the top end stuff it doesnt lack that much. One thing is absolutely sure though, in the workload environment threadripper bends intel over with no respect or lube given when looking at the price tags.
    Its a good thing for everyone.

Every 2 or so years I like to completely revamp my machine, and in the past 10 years or so when it came to cpu's at least there was never any question other than which intel chip to go with.
    Now there are options from AMD, with some crystal clear advantages, and thats a good space to be in as a consumer.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    threadripper bends intel over with no respect or lube .
    I know nothing of the rest of the post but THIS is my new favourite line!!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

8. Likes Dauntless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    Now there are options from AMD, with some crystal clear advantages, and thats a good space to be in as a consumer.
    Agree a bit of competition is good!

Starting to see benchmarks leaking for Intel 8700K.

Single core 5773 vs Ryzzen 1800X 4243
    Multithreaded 24260 vs 21818

So better but not by miles. Be interesting to see what price it launches at. I'm on a 4790K so will probably pick on up and do a full PC rebuild.
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

So anyone using a AMD Ryzen or threadripper yet?