Thread: SD_MBen has just uploaded The Hardest Day - 3 Sorties.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

SD_MBen has just uploaded The Hardest Day - 3 Sorties.!

SD_MBen has just uploaded The Hardest Day - 4 Sorties.!

The Hardest Day - Four Sortie's.

The 18th August, 1940, was considered the hardest day for the RAF during The Battle of Britain!
    Fly four Single mission's representing the events of that day from morning to late afternoon!

Can you deal with the Luftwaffe as your Squadron's strength is depleted and you are flying with tired and inexperianced pilots?
    Last edited by SD_MBen; Sep-20-2017 at 16:55.

2. Likes ATAG_Lewis, Dauntless, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Re: SD_MBen has just uploaded The Hardest Day - 3 Sorties.!

A Bug fixed!
    An extra sortie added,
    Airfield environment added,
    Good luck Chap's!
    Last edited by SD_MBen; Sep-21-2017 at 05:25.
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

4. Likes faf956, BOO, Dauntless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Bump.
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Thanks for your contribution.

7. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I don't play SP missions - scrub that - I didn't play them. Gonna give some a go. Thanks Ben for your work!

I wouldn't get disconcerted that people done acknowledge the effort all time. I think people just don't think about the effort it takes to crate stuff and realise that they can leave a like or a comment of thanks when they are downloading stuff.

Be nice if more did. Would probably encourage more to contribute. Human nature and all that...

S!

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

9. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    I don't play SP missions - scrub that - I didn't play them. Gonna give some a go. Thanks Ben for your work!

I wouldn't get disconcerted that people done acknowledge the effort all time. I think people just don't think about the effort it takes to crate stuff and realise that they can leave a like or a comment of thanks when they are downloading stuff.

Be nice if more did. Would probably encourage more to contribute. Human nature and all that...

S!

BOO
    Many thanks for the comment's.
    I thought I might try a one day "mini-campaign" as I do not have the patience to get through the big ones!
    I hope it all goes well, please let me know if and how I can improve on "The Hardest Day!"
    Ben
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

Thanks a bunch. I'm having fun with these. I put them in the mod folder, nothing happens. So I placed them in the single mission folder and they're there. What do I do with all the cool pics? Any-hoo; thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.56 GB

Greatly appreciate the "Hardest Day" missions.

I am currently reading "The Hardest Day" by Alfred Price.

The author goes into deep detail about the actions of August 18.

You just want to scramble right now.

Seabeck

13. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Seabeckfish View Post
    Greatly appreciate the "Hardest Day" missions.

I am currently reading "The Hardest Day" by Alfred Price.

The author goes into deep detail about the actions of August 18.

You just want to scramble right now.

Seabeck
    Nice!
    I was unaware of the book!
    It is certainly next on my list!
    Ben
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon66 View Post
    Thanks a bunch. I'm having fun with these. I put them in the mod folder, nothing happens. So I placed them in the single mission folder and they're there. What do I do with all the cool pics? Any-hoo; thanks.
    Hi Procyon66,
    Place the unzipped file in your Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD/missions/Single folder!
    (The pics go in the Single folder with the Briefing and Mission files!)
    Ben
    Last edited by SD_MBen; Oct-01-2017 at 16:37.
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

MBen

Suggestion, pack the missions inside a folder The Hardest Day, this avoid they mix with default quick missions.

I look at first mission code I see that you did a thing that prevents the dumb AI behavior who contributes much for CloD bad fame - flying straight and ignoring player firing in their six - instead NORMFLY in waypoints you set most as HUNTING.

In that way even after AI decide RBT (low on ammo or fuel or due loss) if the next waypoint is HUNTING they react a "persitent" player following then (who forget that Dowding forbid RAF fighters fly across de Channel).

I suggest that instead use default AI pre-set skill: Rookie, Veteran, Ace tune them, because Rookie (0.1, 0.1... ) is too dumb, a mere aerial target drone and ace (1, 1, 1...) make planes do "F-16/i-16" roll and maneuvers when detect player in their six, very unrealistic and unpleasant to see.

What Henikill write about AI settings years ago (from SimHQ):

BASIC FLYING: Leave this where it is at veteran setting. I have seen no visible difference in setting it higher.

ADVANCED FLYING: move this back a notch or two to AVERAGE, which seems to help reduce the F16 snap roll behaviour.

AWARENESS: increase this 'situational awareness' slider to max. This gives the AI a chance to realise you are sneaking up behind them, and stops them suddenly flipping into level flight in the middle of a dogfight just because they can't 'see' you anymore.

AERIAL GUNNERY: increase to max. This eliminates the problem that on lower settings the AI pilots are crap at deflection shooting, and also burn all their ammo in long hosepipe bursts. At max setting the AI is not only a better shot, but doesn't waste ammo so badly. Beware though: this setting also affects bomb accuracy ( which is good) and bomber gunner accuracy ( which is bad). So with bombers, it is a good idea to go to the individual plane tabs in the PROPERTIES screen and set only one or two of them to gunnery max, and leave the others as veteran or average. Otherwise as a fighter you risk getting slaughtered by deadeye gunners.

TACTICS: I leave this at veteran. I have not been able to identify what impact this slider has, though other players believe it can also reduce barrel rolls to move this slider to the left.

VISION: increase to max. This increases the 'bubble' around the aircraft which allows the AI pilots to detect other aircraft. If you don't max it out, they can just fly past each other, especially if they are at different altitudes.

BRAVERY: Set to max. This seems to determine the damage level at which enemy aircraft will cut and run, either at the flight level (x out of x aircraft destroyed) or individual level (x% damage). The lower you set it, the more likely they will bug out. Very important for bombers because at lower settings a couple of flak hits to a couple of aircraft will send the whole raid running for home.

DISCIPLINE: This setting affects how likely a unit is to follow its assigned orders or attack its assigned target. For fighters, leave this at standard VETERAN setting or even AVERAGE. If you set it to max for fighters, you will get situations where fighters assigned to attack bombers, will ignore the group of fighters coming straight at them, and get slaughtered, because they have been assigned to attack bombers. Also, at higher settings it seems to affect the likelihood the WINGMAN will just stupidly follow his leader around, rather than getting into the fight. Obviously though in some mission designs, you do want your Hurricanes to go for the bombers and your Spitfires to go for the fighters, so it can be useful. But usually setting it too high, leads to fighters unrealistically ignoring enemy aircraft.

For bombers however, or dive/fighter bombers with specific ground targets, I set this to maximum. This increases the chances the bomber or dive/fighter bomber will go for the assigned ground target. At lower settings they can get 'distracted' by other targets that are near the waypoint and attack these instead.

As I mentioned, these features aren't documented and reflect only my personal experience from designing hundreds of missions. Others may have their own personal preferences, but it is at least valuable to know these options exist, and you can sharpen up some of the dumber AI behaviour!

On a final note, the skill setting is also relevant for SHIPS. If you set it to ace for warships, they are deadeye shots at maximum range, for both their large bore guns, and their AAA and you will get slaughtered flying over a minensuchboot, even in a fighter. Set warships to AVERAGE or lower.
    I am trying this mission with this skill settings: Skill 0.74 0.63 1 0.89 0.74 0.95 0.63 0.74

But 109 still somewhat "twitch" making difficult shoot at then.

Other suggestion is add some high skilled FLAK in France cost to dishearten any "persitent" player avid for kill at any cost.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Sep-30-2017 at 18:43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Hi 1lokos,
    Many thanks for the positive input, I always value your reply's!
    I set up the last mission (Fourth Sortie) too mimic tired pilot's with fewer machine's in the flight's!
    Anybody willing to try your setting's for AI aircraft and Flak is most welcome, if you have anymore preferred setting's post them so the guy's can patch them into the mission file if desired!
    Ben
    (Winston S. Churchill.)

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.02 GB

this looks excellent, thanks