Thread: Bismarck?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.49 MB

Bismarck?

Hey guys,

So it's occurred to me that I wanted to know if there's a battleship Bismarck in Clod. If so I think it would be cool to do a sink the Bismarck themed mission, but where most of the conflict is to attack/defend the other teams warships from bombing raids. Only if I knew how to make a mission I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Thanks,
    Logan Thurman

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Re: Bismarck?

No Bismarck in the game. Only a british and a german gunboat, but they are quite deadly for planes. And of course you are welcome to create maps. We even might test them on server 2.

John Lydgate: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

No large warships like that in CLOD at the moment. Should be getting some in the upcoming updates, but in the case of the Bismarck, a historical mission would only need a new map, several different ship models, and different aircraft In fact, heavy unit Kriegsmarine and CLOD don't work well together right now, as those units tended to stay far away from the English Channel and Mediterranean.

I've said in the past that a workable mission concept for the future in CLOD is Operation Cerberus, with the Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Prinz Eugen dashing straight through the channel. We can dream....

Gateway to Downeast Maine (New England) USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Logan20163 View Post
    Hey guys,

So it's occurred to me that I wanted to know if there's a battleship Bismarck in Clod. If so I think it would be cool to do a sink the Bismarck themed mission, but where most of the conflict is to attack/defend the other teams warships from bombing raids. Only if I knew how to make a mission I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Thanks,
    Logan Thurman
    I think the the Tirpitz would be appropriate as more missions could be developed.
    2017-09-18_21-27-49.png

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/tirpitz.html
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

We won't be building the Tirpitz or Bismarck... they didn't see service in the Channel... the Kriegsmarine wouldn't risk them there... the chances of them being sunk were too great... either by aircraft or mines or British ships.

There were no German heavy ships available during the Battle of Britain time period as the Bismarck had not yet been completed and both Scharnhorst and Gneisenau had been hit by torpedoes from British Destroyers or Submarines and were being repaired. Tirpitz didn't come out of her training period till November 1941, and by then, after Bismarck had been sunk in May of 1941, Hitler was not interested in risking his last big battleship. Tirpitz was kept hidden away in various Fjords in Norway away from most British aircraft.

The only heavy German warships which risked the Channel were the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, which were trapped on the French coast, and were forced to make a Channel passage because they would have been sunk by British warships if they went around the north of Scotland and were under increasing aerial attack in Brest harbour, sustaining damage from a number of bomb hits. As it was, although they were able to escape the attacks by British aircraft during the Channel Dash, due to the superiority of the Focke-Wulf 190's of the time over the British fighters, both ships hit mines as they exited the Channel... and the Gneisenau was badly damaged enough it had to be put in a drydock in Kiel Germany. There it was struck by two heavy bombs from RAF bombers, one 1000 lber completely destroyed the bow section. Gneisenau was never repaired and was eventually sunk as a blockship. Scharnhorst was repaired, but Hitler and Doenitz would never allow it near the Channel again.

We do hope to build the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.

6. Likes ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

A Channel Dash mission would be interesting on the server someday. A task force that would be great attack/defend objectives for both sides, though in real life it was poor Swordfish torpedo bombers along with Beauforts & Hudsons doing the bulk of the anti ship sorties.

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post

We do hope to build the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.
    If that gets done, I would hope the Prinz Eugen would as well. That vessel had the best (and maybe luckiest) career of any Kriegsmarine vessel. Very few other ships directly participated in so many historical and famous operations during the war.