Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TWC Tactical Server event: FORGED IN IRON

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Re: TWC Tactical Server event: FORGED IN IRON

Thanks to everyone who joined the server. Congrats to Red for a hard-fought victory!

Note that you can see how team stats developed over the course of the mission(s) here:

Tactical Server Team Stats Summary for Oct 28th

The session that was working up to such a promising pitch before the server crashed ended up this way:

FINAL TEAM TOTALS for mission ending at Sat, 28 Oct 2017 21:21:58 GMT
    BLUE session totals: 15.7 total Kill Points; 11.7/4.0/0.0/0.0 Air/AA/Naval/Ground Kill Points
    2 bombs dropped, 100.0% hit targets, 1,000 kg on targets
    RED session totals: 0.0 total Kill Points; 0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0 Air/AA/Naval/Ground Kill Points
    4 bombs dropped, 0.0% hit targets, 0 kg on targets
    After the re-start after that glitch, Red's final victory turned out like this:

FINAL TEAM TOTALS for mission ending at Sat, 28 Oct 2017 23:12:36 GMT
    BLUE session totals: 83.4 total Kill Points; 18.4/0.0/0.0/64.9 Air/AA/Naval/Ground Kill Points
    64 bombs dropped, 96.9% hit targets, 4,526 kg on targets
    RED session totals: 67.7 total Kill Points; 8.1/1.0/0.0/58.6 Air/AA/Naval/Ground Kill Points
    79 bombs dropped, 97.5% hit targets, 8,030 kg on targets
    General Tactical Server stats, & info here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Thanks TWC for hosting the event!

Sadly I had to go after the server crashed but I'm glad at least some sort of a run happened.

I'll be there for sure on the next one.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 gr00ve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    259.12 MB

its nice to have someone doing these kind of events, and we will support it cause it offers more organized and tactical play. BUT...

Its Battle of France. The date is wrong...january 1940 was months away from BOF.
    Aircraft types are wrong. In may 1940 when blitz started, there were only 6 hurricane squadrons stationed in France. Sure spitfire made his debut over France, but not in numbers you presented during event.
    It was sad to see no Hurricanes and all flying Spitfire 1a 100 oct for supposedly Battle of France event.

I think these events should be something special. Something you can't experience on ATAG server. Big bomber formations, big squadron dogfights, wild melee, where tactic wins over individual skill.
    These events should be as close to historical we can get, recreation of campaigns we can safely fly from our chairs. Of course, we don't have all planes that flew BOF, but we can work with planes we have to be historical to some extent.

Im all up for E1 vs Hurri action with some odd spit1a and e3 (limited and rare). That should be closer to BOF campaign, and give us a lot of fun.

S!
    "Karaya Eins"

My YouTube Channel
    "The secret of good teamwork is to work as a team" - 9./JG52 Mindle, 2019
    Warthog HOTAS - MFG Crosswind - Saitek Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5 - i7 4770K - Asrock Z87 Killer - Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming - Corsair 16 GB - Kingston SSD 120 GB - Samsung SSD 240GB - 3 TB storage - Razer Megalodon

4. Likes SIA_Sp00k, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 gr00ve View Post
    its nice to have someone doing these kind of events, and we will support it cause it offers more organized and tactical play. BUT...

Its Battle of France. The date is wrong...january 1940 was months away from BOF.
    Aircraft types are wrong. In may 1940 when blitz started, there were only 6 hurricane squadrons stationed in France. Sure spitfire made his debut over France, but not in numbers you presented during event.
    It was sad to see no Hurricanes and all flying Spitfire 1a 100 oct for supposedly Battle of France event.

I think these events should be something special. Something you can't experience on ATAG server. Big bomber formations, big squadron dogfights, wild melee, where tactic wins over individual skill.
    These events should be as close to historical we can get, recreation of campaigns we can safely fly from our chairs. Of course, we don't have all planes that flew BOF, but we can work with planes we have to be historical to some extent.

Im all up for E1 vs Hurri action with some odd spit1a and e3 (limited and rare). That should be closer to BOF campaign, and give us a lot of fun.

S!
    Thanks for your support, Groove. You have been a part of all these big events, despite the fact that they don't always run smooth.

I think if we limit the battle to one specific area of the map we would be missing out. The map is huge, and most battles utilize a very small portion of it. I don't even think I've seen North of London yet. There are so many factors that would make these missions non-historic. The arguments over accuracy could go on for days, and opinion would come into play, as well. There is a balance between historic and fun.

Limiting the aircraft selection would also limit the fun. Besides, it's not the plane, it's the pilot that will kill you.

Also, these big wing events do happen on ATAG's server. Human flown bomber formations can often be found on their server. I know, because I've led many. So does 69th, JG4, TWC, 71st,...I could go on.

For me, these events are about the fun. Creating scenarios that will generate good memories and action. At the end of the day, that's what people remember.

Again, thank you TWC for hosting this event. Big thanks to ATAG. Without you guys, none of this is possible.

~S~

6. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, SIA_Sp00k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    Besides, it's not the plane, it's the pilot that will kill you.
    I can agree with that - I decided to fly a low Bf110 jabo mission to Le Touquet, bombed some fuel tanks, and saw a few low contacts off the coast as I was egressing. Sure enough, they were Blenheims, and I called out their position to everyone else before I managed to rip most of my wing off on one as I flew past

Thanks TWC and everyone who helped organise the event, even if it didn't go as planned. Will be looking forward to the next one!

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Just wanted to say a big thank you to TWC for putting on FII . Also DRock for his sterling efforts before hand and on the night .

I'm sure once the gremlins have been banished it will be a great event and I would like to participate again . Thanks guys

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

9. Likes No.119_Viper (VK-S), SIA_Sp00k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    974.2 KB

If the OnBuildingDestroyed code can be repaired/modified such that it functions correctly in Multiplayer as it does in Singleplayer, this type of event will be more feasible.

In singleplayer, this code will return the name of any object destroyed on the map itself, no static object required. In this way, you could write some code up to track destroyed objects and their relative locations (the function can return X,Y positions) without having to introduce the overhead of the tens of thousands of static objects you'd need to place in order to return the information in the current multiplayer environment. You simply make note of the name of the object you want to track and watch for it when the code fires. Want to task players with destroying post offices across England and France? Just add that one to the list and track it. You can track telephone polls if you want to, or phone booths, or railway stations. Basically anything on the map without a single static object needed.

In multiplayer, currently this code WILL function, but only for the HOST of the mission. In the case of a player hosting locally, that player will trigger the code and return the results effectively without issue, but anyone else connected to the mission will not. They will see their targets destroyed, etc. but the OnBuildingDestroyed code does not fire. In a dedicated server environment, the code does not function for any player because the host is essentially the dedicated server and any connecting player is outside of the hosting role.

Now perhaps there's a reason this code doesn't function in multiplayer properly. Maybe it has to do with the amount of information synchronization needed or some other issue. Not sure. Sure would be nice to know if this is something that could be fixed though as it has the potential to MASSIVELY change mission design and campaign possibilities using the Channel map.
    Last edited by No.401_Wolverine; Oct-30-2017 at 10:35.

11. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    Limiting the aircraft selection would also limit the fun. Besides, it's not the plane, it's the pilot that will kill you.
    I'd tend to agree with Groove in that France would likely have been mostly E1s with some E3s vs mostly Hurris with some Spit 1s. I wouldn't say it'd limit the fun, as it's only a select few aircraft omitted. RAF can still fly Hurris and Spits and the LW fly 109s. That way it'll be different when it comes to the intended BoB part of the campaign e.g. adding in E4s vs 1a 100s.
    Or just add some E4s to France for parity as Spit 1a 100 > flying brick > E3

Regardless of this debate, it was a very enjoyable experience and I hope to be involved in coming events

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I don't think limiting the aircraft would limit the fun.

It would be great to have a Hurris and E1/E3 event. We see so many Spit Ias and E4s with Mineshells in multiplayer already. It's a nice change to fly the less powerful planes, and more fun too!

14. Likes DerDa, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Just remember that Bf110s have Minengeschoss as well...

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

I`ll speak to Fatal re the Spits and 109`S re the next event. Shouldn't be too big an issue.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Having the Spit 1 and E1s and 3s would really make pilots think about their tactics and moves.

Taking the Rotol stabiliser wheels off the Spits isn't as drastic a measure as some imagine once you know how it all works. It certainly reduces the no thought turn and burn tactics when you have to wrestle a manual prop.

Some E4s and Spit 1a and Hurri Rotols though because not everyone is Gr00ve and the pressure of a big event, no matter what anyone says about fun, is there.

Events shouldn't be too elitist. Even SOW had the E4 and 1a/Rotal concessions.

Id be disappointed to see experienced players snaffling them at the expense of newer or less experienced players though......
    Last edited by BOO; Oct-31-2017 at 07:34.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

As far as I know, Rotol 100 octane Hurricanes were available from May 1940 so I don't see any reason not to include them in a Battle of France scenario.
    I love the Hurri, but even with the best version it is hard enough to survive against any kind of properly flown 109.

In the end I don't think it is possible to find a compromise between an historical accurate or a balanced scenario. This is something the host of the event has to decide:
    1) Either a big event with all aircraft, lots of fun and many players, accepting that it is not historrcally correct and most pilots will go for the hot rods,
    2) or a historically correct scenario, which always will be unbalanced (as reality was), accepting much smaller numbers of players and a predictable outcome.

Personally I think both kinds of events could be interesting, but I think it's understandable if the organisers go for the first option.
    (In the case of a historical Battle of France event it may be difficult to find more than a handful of pilots flying red.)

19. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Our intention was not to have an accurate battle of France it was a test of our server more than anything and it was a good test we know our shortcomings now and are in the process of rectifying them. Again thank you all for helping us in this test. We will have another shot at it soon and hopefully we will get some help in the mission builder system that will make our efforts show up better.As wolverine has said many times it all works in one part it just needs to work in the MP part. till then we will try and program around what we have to work with <S>Fatal
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

My two cents about the aircraft set issue:

If feasible, should be really great having a production system ( for both sides ) similar to the SoW one and a clear division between units participating to the campaign constantly and casual players so to have players not wasting aircraft without any care about them.
    Taking in consideration the whole period of the BoB the Spitfires ( like E-4/N variants for example ) were less in numbers in respect to Hurricanes ( and the same for some German late variants in respect to early Bf 109 variants ).
    In my opinion having a server that offers the chance to the player of thinking well before wasting aircraft in a " reckless " way and that offers a well planned but limited " offer " of flyable aircraft numbers is what really makes the difference from everything actually available around...and here, to avoid possible misunderstandings, I'm not saying that other servers are not good...I simply mean that I like more servers where the emphasis is put on the " historical correctness " about flyable aircraft available.
    In SoW it was so and both online unit participating to the campaigns constantly and casual players have had lot of hours of fun everyone flying in the ways they liked more...so having a system that keeps an eye on the " historical correctness " ( while at the same time do not exasperate it too much ) permits to both kind of pilots ( pilots belonging to an online unit or casual players ) of having a lot of fun satisfying their style of playing and needs...said in brief this means that, speaking of aircraft available to be flown in a server mission, the way to balance the aircraft variants available there is.
    About this I think that the main problem, in my opinion, is that the SoW Admins do not seems to have a lot of " good intentions " about share with other server builders the code they developed about their campaigns ( Personally said this is pretty appalling in an online community that should be united... but as said is only a my very personal point of view )..unfortunately the " stubbornness " ( to use a gentle word ) of " some " seems to ruins the fun and willing to build new server experiences of many...and few words to the wise...
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Nov-09-2017 at 21:16.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

22. Likes TWC_Ragoo liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123