Thread: DCS WW2 - future

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

DCS WW2 - future

First - I'm not here to knock it. Its an alpha sure. But...

I have a so-so pc (GTX 1060 and an I5 6600K) and on anything but really crap settings it doesn't run well at all and, once in a while I like to push virtual buttons.

Had a look (as far as my sanity could take) around the ED forums but I find them increasingly baffling and hard to navigate. I didn't see anything at all firm about the future save for a couple of AI assets.

Are there any firm plans that anyone here is aware of to recover DCS WW2 frames a second from the long grass into whence it was kicked when someone said "oo look...Hornet...shiny..." so that I may someday enjoy the result of the £300 ive shelled out so far?

And by hat I mean any actual plans not the wishful and vague "wait till DCS World 2.5".

Gosh, that sounds all angry - I'm not - one way or t'other I think it will come good eventually - I just wondered.

Cheers

BOO
    Last edited by BOO; Oct-23-2017 at 12:23.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    54.25 MB

Re: DCS WW2 - future

Boo,

Here is some info which I found. -> https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=340
    DCS seems to move slow and information on what they are doing and or planning is lacking.

As for DCS and framerate, currently I have 2.0 but am running 1.5. Seem 2.0 has some frame rate issues which need to be resolved.
    Some settings are huge frame rate hits. I have shadows set on FLAT, and Flat. Shadows are a real big hit. I really don't like the high quality shadow appearance anyway.
    View distance to medium or low. MSAA to 2x or 4x. MSAA is a big hit.
    Let DCS manage the graphics, I default my nvidia card in the nvidia control panel.
    I also use vertical sync.
    Dependent upon how much memory you have you can avoid hard drive delays by setting pre-load radius all the way up.

I will check and put together some other info for you which may be helpful.

What planes do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Jnk View Post
    Boo,

Here is some info which I found. -> https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=340
    DCS seems to move slow and information on what they are doing and or planning is lacking.

As for DCS and framerate, currently I have 2.0 but am running 1.5. Seem 2.0 has some frame rate issues which need to be resolved.
    Some settings are huge frame rate hits. I have shadows set on FLAT, and Flat. Shadows are a real big hit. I really don't like the high quality shadow appearance anyway.
    View distance to medium or low. MSAA to 2x or 4x. MSAA is a big hit.
    Let DCS manage the graphics, I default my nvidia card in the nvidia control panel.
    I also use vertical sync.
    Dependent upon how much memory you have you can avoid hard drive delays by setting pre-load radius all the way up.

I will check and put together some other info for you which may be helpful.

What planes do you have?
    Thanks Jnk

I played around with many of the settings but the choice always seems to be poor graphics or jerky performance. The Shadows and the MSAA do seem to have huge impacts but without them and with the deferred lighting on its not a good look. Low level performance near anything approaching civilisation at any setting approaching what I consider acceptably enjoyable is impossible it seems. Of course I'm sure it would improve with a better card and perhaps an I7 but, I'm not so sold on it to want to spend that sort of money just for a game I play for perhaps 2 hours every 3 months.

I have the Spit, P51, 109, Dora and Huey the NTTR and Normandy Maps. TBH I don't think DCS will ever be at top of my list of sims, so I am quite happy just to let it sit there and hopefully mature. I think the only time I will ever consider it a real problem is when (and if) there is an aircraft set that can be used in the historical setting. And there is a helluva lot to fix in that regard even before you get onto graphic performance.

Cheers

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

In 10 years perhaps it will be good
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

5. Likes Jeast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

10 years be sure

7. Likes ATAG_((dB)) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    77.43 MB

The only info I could give you is a suggestion to not ask on the ED forum if you don't want to get banned

DCS WW2 is in a terrible shape right now, so who knows if they eventually will get back to it once the hornet and SoH are released

i run everything at low for the most part and i get 30-50 frames, but there's no one to fly against so the spitty is virtually there to collect dust and the frames per second are the last of dcsww2 issues
    nevada was in a bad state fps-wise when it was released, seems like it's MUCH better now, so i hope they'll eventually come back to normandy

they might be waiting for 2.5 to drop to release some fixes
    the hornet should be released at the beginning of the year, and on 2.5, so rumor is 2.5 should be close

i hope they fix the sound-radar, it saves my life a lot, but it prevents 109s to fly more...

No.54 Dix (KL-X)

9. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

I've updated DCS few days back after months without playing. I couldn’t find any server online. That can’t be right.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Version 1.5.8
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

I’ve had the same problem, did you fly a single mission first, if so I’ve found out that if I do this I need to restart the game to get the server list up, but if you go straight to multiplayer when you start game it’s fine, hope this helps
    Target 4 'o' clock low

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by EAF602_Red View Post
    I’ve had the same problem, did you fly a single mission first, if so I’ve found out that if I do this I need to restart the game to get the server list up, but if you go straight to multiplayer when you start game it’s fine, hope this helps
    No single player first. Just go straight to multiplayer to an empty server list
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

No single player first. Just go straight to multiplayer to an empty server list
    The only time I’ve had this was running the wrong version, I’m sure it should auto update, I’m on 1.5.8.12823 which is the latest, if it’s not the same I’m sure you can update from inside game folder, although I’ve never done this

Program.files/Eagle Dynamics/ DCS world open beta / bin.. auto update
    Last edited by EAF602_Red; Dec-31-2017 at 06:38.
    Target 4 'o' clock low

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    77.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_((dB)) View Post
    I've updated DCS few days back after months without playing. I couldn’t find any server online. That can’t be right.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Version 1.5.8
    Yes one of my squad mates has the same problem, both on 1.5 and 2.2 apparently
    He also often doesn't seem to be able to see a server we start to fly co-op missions, in the list
    And it doesn't matter who's creating the server

have you found a fix yet?

No.54 Dix (KL-X)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by dix View Post
    Yes one of my squad mates has the same problem, both on 1.5 and 2.2 apparently
    He also often doesn't seem to be able to see a server we start to fly co-op missions, in the list
    And it doesn't matter who's creating the server

have you found a fix yet?
    No
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

In Italy there's a known problem with TIM fiber connections. I have the same problem with CLOD. I do not see a lot of servers in the game list (ATAG included) and I know many others were in the same situation.
    With direct connect I can play without problems.
    It is possible that the problem is on client side then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    77.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by FS~Fenice_1965 View Post
    In Italy there's a known problem with TIM fiber connections. I have the same problem with CLOD. I do not see a lot of servers in the game list (ATAG included) and I know many others were in the same situation.
    With direct connect I can play without problems.
    It is possible that the problem is on client side then.
    No Fenice,
    [Italian]
    anche io ho la fibra telecom e non vedo i server di clod, e uso i link in alto sul forum per connettermi al server 1 e 2, ma su DCS vedo tutti i server
    inoltre mi sono connesso dalla rete mobile del cell, sempre tim, e non ho nessun problema a vedere i server di clod, è la fibra per qualche motivo
    [/Italian]

No.54 Dix (KL-X)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

1.5 and 2.0+ have had up and down issues with performance because of the introduction of new effects/shading etc.

I’ve had some versions work better than others, some modules or maps are more affected than others. Hopefully the merge into 2.5 allows ED to tune bugs and performance issues.

WW2 isn’t dead. They are revamping the DM of all The ww2 birds. The P47 production slowed down due to a lack of information, but it is still being worked on. More ground unis are gradually appearing, and I think there are tweaks planned for the Normandy map in the same way they’ve made additions to Nevada.

Trouble is that progress is just slow and all over the place. A unified version will make a big difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I’ve been flying the Spitfire IXc using Jafa’s sound mod with Relaxxo’s weapon mod on top. Diveplane’s sound mod is great, too. I’m still trying to work out axis settings; I find that even tweaking the S-curve that the controls are far too sensitive for both my Sidewinder 2 FFB and TM16000 joysticks. The graphics seem much improved with the latest updates. I’m getting decent frame rates and smoothness, but I still need to play with the video settings to get a more life like (to my eyes) overall look. But, I have to admit, it’s fun trying stuff out.

Since TFS 4.5 was released a good 90+% of my time has been spent largely flying my new love: the Beaufighter 1F. But I still keep DCS Normandy updated and current, although I haven’t flown it online recently. Plus, I have BoX installed on my PC which is likewise demanding some attention.

What a wonderful quandry to be in regarding WW2 sims! Remember how bleak it all seemed prior to Team Fusion and Clod seemed destined to be consigned to the dust bin? And now ATAG_Nudge, that Evil Man, is waving the Falcon 4.0/BMS flag before us! LOL

Great days!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

I recently started playing DCS via version 2.5 and have been enjoying the process of learning how to fly the P-51. I had no idea that they're working on the Jug - that will definitely be my favorite aircraft when released!

Since I have not bought the Normandy map and assets yet, I've been relying on the Burning Skies server which seems to host missions in the Caucasus map for WWII aircraft. It's a bit sparsely populated, and it looks like the server is put down occasionally. Do you all feel that there is more activity in the ACG Normandy server? If that is the case, I may consider investing in the map and assets... but they're so expensive

Once I get better at flying the P-51 (and spotting!! Spotting is so hard in DCS) and get the Normandy map, I'd love to fly with you all.
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Since I have not bought the Normandy map and assets yet, I've been relying on the Burning Skies server which seems to host missions in the Caucasus map for WWII aircraft. It's a bit sparsely populated, and it looks like the server is put down occasionally. Do you all feel that there is more activity in the ACG Normandy server?
    Better leave this... for the future - maybe a year or two. DCS WW2 don't "take-off".

https://s18.postimg.org/k2r30ke09/DCSWNd.jpg
    Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-08-2018 at 10:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Better leave this... for the future - maybe a year or two. DCS WW2 don't "take-off".

https://s18.postimg.org/k2r30ke09/DCSWNd.jpg
    Not sure that is entirely true and the screen shot is a little disingenuous - to exclude Burning Skies (the primary WW2 server in DCS at the mo) because it was hosting ww2 missions on the brand new Caucasus map that week paints a somewhat skewed picture of ww2 on DCS, and the Normandy map to boot. Burning Skies is currently rotating WW2 missions between Normandy and Caucasus with plenty of people flying. Not as many as BoX and CLoD but there are enough for plenty of fun. Since the Caucasus map is free it is always likely to be more popular and if you don't own Normandy, try the game on the Caucasus map and see if you like it. I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid trying one tittle as I think all the ww2 games currently have their pros and cons, and they will never "take-off" if people write them off. As someone who has been playing DCS WW2 for some years now, I'd say there's some stuff DCS does better than BoX and CLoD and vice versa - with ww2 simming being so niche I own and fly them all.
    Last edited by Bounder!; Feb-11-2018 at 14:27.
    My Cliffs of Dover movies [youtube link]
    My PC specs: Win10 64; CPU i7-3820 4.3GHz; 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8GB).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

My point is that buy Normandy map (more demanding or hardware) - the guy question, will not change the picture. As you confirm, the people are using the free map.

So better await and see their "WW2" take off, maybe in a couple of... years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    My point is that buy Normandy map (more demanding or hardware) - the guy question, will not change the picture. As you confirm, the people are using the free map.

So better await and see their "WW2" take off, maybe in a couple of... years.
    Since my understanding is that SharkBait has been playing on Burning Skies on the new Caucasus map (2.5 engine) he shouldn't have any greater or fewer problems running the Normandy map in 2.5. If you can run the new Caucasus map on Burning Skies then you can run Normandy on Burning Skies, there should be no question of more demanding or better hardware needed between the two maps in 2.5. The big question is if you play DCS enough to invest money buying the Normandy map.

In answer to the question about other servers, Burning Skies is by far the most popular online server for DCS ww2 because it supports numbers like no other ww2 server in DCS. People tend to jump on other servers if Burning Skies is down for maintenance or just plain down. The Normandy map is popular when Burning Skies is running it, which it was this evening.

[edit] It does remain to be seen if people stay playing DCS ww2 - numbers had dropped off a cliff this last year with the split in game engines and in my opinion, relatively poor communication from ED on ww2. The Normandy map is still in alpha/beta as is the Spitfire, the latter has been broken in multiplayer since December. We are still waiting for drop tanks and bombs for the Spitfire as well as the much promised damage model overhaul but we've seen nothing on this front in an age. This breeds uncertainty. Unless you are happy with DCS on the new Caucasus map I wouldn't recommend buying the Normandy map but since the new Caucasus map is free, I'd recommend trying it and if you like it and DCS, pick up Normandy.
    Last edited by Bounder!; Feb-11-2018 at 20:05.
    My Cliffs of Dover movies [youtube link]
    My PC specs: Win10 64; CPU i7-3820 4.3GHz; 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8GB).

25. Likes SharkBait liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

Not really into WW2 in DCS at the moment, that might change if SOW starts using it, got the harrier though and must admit the new Caucasus map is fantastic low level throughout the mountains, mission builder is a dawdle to use, the ground movement of troops and trigger actions makes it really good for immersive battles with moving fronts

If SoW incorporates this using to WW2 assets pack in Normandy it could be interesting
    Target 4 'o' clock low

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

In all honesty il2 Blitz is better.

Cockpits are way better. Damage model, etc.

Hey while I’m sucking up any chance of seeing some new wip aircraft models of .5?

28. Likes QB.Creep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Bounder! View Post
    there should be no question of more demanding or better hardware needed between the two maps in 2.5. .
    I can run the Caucuses with MSAA on 2X and deferred shading but Normandy is a no no unles the MSAA is switched off leading to poorer graphics. Thats on a I5 6600K and a GTX 1060 @ 1080P so pretty much the lower end of the DCS "I sold my soul, kids and kidneys" scale. Its also in SP. Any sizable town knocks out the fps and that's just me and my A10 trying to disrupt the French national rail infrastructure and ruin someone's day trip to Euro Disney. I suspect the presence of others or lots of AI would cause me further pain.

If people have perhaps GTX1070s or 1080s and I7s and 32GB sticks of RAM poking out of every orifice id suspect a good compromise can be reached in all maps in 2.5. But there is a definate hit in Normandy at present that lower end gear may not circumnavigate without too much of a graphical penalty.

Anyhow the Caucuses has mountains and valleys and a place called Potti. Whats not to like!!

30. Likes farley, PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

I actually ended up caving and purchased the Normandy map and assets over the weekend. There was quite a bit of activity (30+ people on the server) at some point this weekend, which was nice.

The map seems to have been well done - quite immersive, though not as extensive as the CloD channel map. Still, I had fun and I think I'll be able to get enough enjoyment out of it to make the investment worth it.

I hate to split up our already small flight sim community, but the primary reason I fly DCS right now is because of the P-51. I'm curious what it will be like in Bodenplatte. I do secretly wish that BoX allows mouse cockpit control and manual start-up. Yes, it isn't anything special once you've done it several times, but I still like to have the option of going through the motions when starting a flight. Won't hurt to allow the player to choose whether they want to do it themselves or run an automatic sequence...

Definitely agreed that the damage model does not seem as realistic (or fair, at the moment...) in DCS compared to IL2 (not that I'm the authority on this, since I've never shot at WWII fighters in real life). The biggest thing I miss whenever I play DCS is the community - there is none like that of CLoD out there, specifically the ATAG server. I like to think that I'm trying to be a catalyst to recreate a sense of community in DCS (after all, Burning Skies does have its own TS channel) by encouraging people to wing up with me and get on TS, but it's hard to build and maintain momentum when the player base definitely seems much smaller.

Hopefully activity will kick back up when the Spitfire is fixed and eekz (the administrator of Burning Skies - God bless his soul) further enriches the missions so that there are more interesting objectives, etc. And yes, the damage model update, which apparently is getting some attention from ED.
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5