Thread: Making Movies

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Making Movies

I have recently started recording some of my sorties and running the trk files through the track editor to enable the icons and external views for playback.

This may be covered somewhere else, but I cannot find it if it is, but I was wondering how is the best way to transform those files to video format that can be viewed independently of the game and can be uploaded to youtube.

I appreciate that trk files are in game files only, but I thought that it might be possible to somehow record the track as I am playing it back.
    There seems to be a lot of free video editing software out there. Which one is best? What do others use?, as clearly people are making CLoD movies somehow.

Your thoughts please gentlemen,

Thanks in advance

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Re: Making Movies

I appreciate that trk files are in game files only, but I thought that it might be possible to somehow record the track as I am playing it back.
    That! Record the tracks as you watch them, using a video proggy. OBS is popular, you could d/l that and give it a go. I don't make movies anymore, but have shadowplay and it's simple. That said, I just use windows movie maker if I ever want to make something, and have heard that some more advanced (better!) video programs have issues with sound alignment. Others will be more help than me on that subject so I'll get outta here...Good luck Laser!

3. Likes ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

OBS Studio is great for recording - I use it and it will run for ages with a low CPU/GPU footprint, you'll get a nice quality vid and uses about 5GB/hour (which of course you can vary with the plethora of quality settings).

Just installed Hitfilm Express yesterday for editing - haven't really had a chance to use it, but the interface seems quite intuitive.

My $0.02

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

5. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Thanks for the advice so far Freya and Kiwiflieger.

I have downloaded OBS, but clearly need to learn how to use it as haven't a clue.

I have tried to open the program, run a short trk file in game whilst clicking the start recording tab, but the resulting movie had sound only and a blank screen.
    Maybe there is a youtube tutorial for using OBS. will check now

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Found the tutorials on youtube, set a few things up and tried again.
    Still not recording the track properly, but I think I am making progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Yeah I have those black screen issues if I run OBS on Window or Game Capture. The way I got around that was just to record the entire display, which in some cases in not ideal but it works...

Karaya also has an OBS tutorial here - I think that might have some info about the black screen as well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this - many video cards, both AMD/Nvidia, have a specialized portion of the GPU that can be devoted to video encoding. On Nvidia it's called NVENC and AMD Advance Media Framework. Using this as an encoder takes a lot of work off your CPU and boosts framerates when recording. File size is about the same as CPU encoding as well.
    Last edited by ATAG_kiwiflieger; Oct-29-2017 at 22:57.

9. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    415.4 KB

On a similar topic, i have an ultrawide. If i change my resolution to 1920x1080, on the ultrawide it is stretched. In the recording will this remain the case or will it look as if it was recorded on a 1920x1080 monitor? And if it will look stretched which settings if any can i change to fix this?
    ZG26_Sir_Racha - The Sauce that Bites

Bf-110 staffel leader
    ZG26 "Horst Wessel"
    3U+RN

Join the fight with the 51! Bf-110 staffel or Bf-109 staffel positions open!
    Contact anyone with the JG51 or ZG26 tag (Hop in our section in the ATAG TS and fly out with us!) or message Teetwo or Ogg (Bf-109), or Myself (Bf-110).
    Merciless and Cruel
    ))) BRUTAL AND AGGRESSIVE (((

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiflieger View Post
    OBS Studio is great for recording - I use it and it will run for ages with a low CPU/GPU footprint, you'll get a nice quality vid and uses about 5GB/hour (which of course you can vary with the plethora of quality settings).

Just installed Hitfilm Express yesterday for editing - haven't really had a chance to use it, but the interface seems quite intuitive.

My $0.02
    Can you let me know your OBS capture settings as last time I recorded it came out looking terrible (jerking).
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Racha View Post
    On a similar topic, i have an ultrawide. If i change my resolution to 1920x1080, on the ultrawide it is stretched. In the recording will this remain the case or will it look as if it was recorded on a 1920x1080 monitor? And if it will look stretched which settings if any can i change to fix this?
    Ultrawide is a pain put simply (I also run it). Basically your choices are chopping out the ends of the pictures (you could run in a wide FOV and chop) or accepting black barriers. If I'm streaming then I have it setup so I have a picture taken from the map at the bottom along with my webcam picture so that it 'uses up' the black box. There are a few tutorial videos on it on YT.
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBouff View Post
    Can you let me know your OBS capture settings as last time I recorded it came out looking terrible (jerking).
    Sounds like your recording bitrate is probably too high. Here are my settings:

Screenshot (10).png

Test footage looks great - maybe there will be some on Youtube soon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Sounds like your recording bitrate is probably too high. Here are my settings:

Screenshot (10).png

Test footage looks great - maybe there will be some on Youtube soon...
    Thanks, it could well be that, I'll give it a try. I'm also recording in fairly high res (superwide 1440p) which might be causing my 980Ti to not have a good time of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

I have managed to use OBS successfully for the first time, and uploaded this short clip to youtube

https://youtu.be/PQH0xPYpYN0

Now clearly my camera work needs a bit of practice, but I am more disappointed with how much of the quality of the original Ntrk recording has been lost in the process of recording it and uploading to youtube.

Notice how badly blurred the icons are, and the clip has lost it's sharpness.

Still, I am pleased to have been able to do this. Cheers fellas for your input, and any further advice / tips from the more experienced movie makers among you would be gratefully recieved

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    118.76 MB

My $0.02
    Thanks for the tip, Hitfilm 4 Express looks amazing! Just started watching some tutorials for it, I'd love to learn to make some effects.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far Freya and Kiwiflieger.

I have downloaded OBS, but clearly need to learn how to use it as haven't a clue.

I have tried to open the program, run a short trk file in game whilst clicking the start recording tab, but the resulting movie had sound only and a blank screen.
    Maybe there is a youtube tutorial for using OBS. will check now
    Yeah I have those black screen issues if I run OBS on Window or Game Capture. The way I got around that was just to record the entire display, which in some cases in not ideal but it works...

Karaya also has an OBS tutorial here - I think that might have some info about the black screen as well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this - many video cards, both AMD/Nvidia, have a specialized portion of the GPU that can be devoted to video encoding. On Nvidia it's called NVENC and AMD Advance Media Framework. Using this as an encoder takes a lot of work off your CPU and boosts framerates when recording. File size is about the same as CPU encoding as well.
    RE: the Black Screen...
    I have my OBS set up to record "Game Capture", but had the black screen happen as well.
    I discovered that you can bind a hot-key to "Capture Foreground Window". This bumps the game window into view for recording, it hasn't failed me yet.
    You can find it under settings/hotkeys/Game Capture.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Racha View Post
    I've got an ultrawide as well, love the extra screen for flying! (also have a 980ti)
    Why do you want to change the screen to 1920x1080?

I found that OBS was dropping my framerates down into the 20's and 30's from a solid 60fps. When I plan on recording while flying, I now go into my advanced system settings and change my settings to "Adjust for Best Performance" - This shuts off all windows aero stuff, and generally makes the game run buttery smooth even when recording with OBS. this is on Win 7 pro.
    Intel i875K oc'd @ 3.80ghz | 8GB 1600mhz Corsair Ram | EVGA P55 FTW 200 mobo
    EVGA GTX980ti | 34" LG Ultrawide @ 3440 x 1440
    TrackIR5 | TM Warthog Throttle | Saitek Rudder Pedals
    CH Products Combatstick/MSFFB2 "Frankenstick"

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Adobe Premiere is not what you need if you are unfamiliar with pro editing, and in fact is a world of pain for most people. Including some pros. Also it is an unnecessary cost. Why pay $50 a month when you can buy outright all you need for a one off?. I do not accept that Adobe is the only option here. If I was starting from scratch I would definitely go for https://wave.video. Its cheaper, and easier to learn and likely be more productive.