Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLITZ: NVIDIA control panel is your friend

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

BLITZ: NVIDIA control panel is your friend

Hi everyone,

For the tech-not-so-savvy (like me) I thought i would just mention the improvements you can get with Blitz by setting up your Nvidia Control Panel (NCP) for those of you who use an NVIDIA card. I flew my first offline sortie in the BLITZ release just now and had forgotten to set up my NCP and after doing so the differences in graphic look and performance are significant. Even if you are happy with how it looks/plays but havent set your NCP up i would highly recommend it as you are probably missing out on what the game can deliver graphic wise.

Here's what i use (plus my system spec) as a guide for those who have no idea what all the options mean (like me) - this was tweaked a lot during beta testing based on advice from smarter people than me and I'm happy with what it delivers. it might be tweak-able some more but I'm happy and just want to fly now.

Slide2.JPGSlide3.JPG

Hope this helps get people going re the NCP

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: BLITZ: NVIDIA control panel is your friend

+1 to this - was getting 20-25fps dropping to 10 in 4.5 before messing around with the Nvidia settings and now I have 50-60. If you have low fps or even indifferent fps, try it and you might just be surprised.

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

3. Likes farley, Rostic, ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiflieger View Post
    +1 to this - was getting 20-25fps dropping to 10 in 4.5 before messing around with the Nvidia settings and now I have 50-60. If you have low fps or even indifferent fps, try it and you might just be surprised.
    I had the same situation. This settings in NCP increase my FPS from 15-20 to 40-60 with my 660GTX 2Gb in simple scenes, like single player mission intercept over London with ~10 planes.
    But I still have one problem. After first fly if I restart single player mission or change a plane in multiplayer my FPS fall down back to 10-20 and I have to restart the game to get my higher FPS again.

My system is 10 years old dinosaur =)
    AMD Athlon dual core 6000+ 3.0Ghz, 8Gb DDR2 800Mhz RAM, SSD on SATA2 and videocard GTX 660 2G. OS: Windows 10

5. Likes ATAG_Ezzie, MezzA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Will definitely try this and reply back.

So this worked great, I also got a fps boost when disabling in the video settings; distant shadows and extended clouds. (Thanks Farley and Ribbs)

Thank you too Ezzie
    Last edited by Maru; Dec-16-2017 at 04:50.

7. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Nice one ezzie... Ive been using these for a while... Though I'm using "fast sync".... And therefore have vsync switched off in game..... Works really well ( and did on my old rig too.... before it gave up caring about me!)

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

9. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

The NVP Anti aliasing settings does not work in clod and engaging them in either the NVP or inspector has no effect.

NVP FXAA does work and so does the in game "AA" (although it makes no difference whether you set it to 1 or 8).

Ansiotropic filtering also works (but try different levels to see if the performance impact is work the graphical improvement)

If true AA was working you would be increasing the graphical load on a GPU and your in game fps performance would drop not increase. This is especially true of using super sampling.

The impacts you are seeing are more likely resultant from fixing the power by selecting "prefer maximum performance" and lowering the load on the gpu by selecting "high performance" in the texture filtering. The large differentiations are also more likely to be resultant from not exactly comparing apples with apples and lowering the in game levels.

Reducing the in game settings is likely to help players with lower end hardware most. Forests, Building Detail (the bubble in which fine building details such as house chimneys are drawn) and building amount can get you back 20-30 frames easily. Extended Clouds is another (when there are clouds of course).

One final point for those despairing of flying over cities - the effect is greatest at the lowest alt. When setting up the game, think about how many times you actually do that. A lot of players (certainly on line) will spend their lives mid channel at 12 - 25000ft. . As such you could be dropping the graphics lower than you practically need for your own play preferences.

Cheers

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Mountains of Bulgaria, beaches of Spain and Italy, UK when I have to
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

I had to manually ADD the Blitz Launcher to my NCP.

It hadn't picked up the new game before and I was getting poor performance and artefacts all over my canopy when flying low over cities.

Really smooth now.

NCP Anti aliasing has no effect on my game either.

Thanks Ezzie, thanks Boo

My not so expensive COD rig:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ASRock b75m r2 motherboard - new
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4ghz - used
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - used
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 ram - new
    Samsung 250gb 850 EVO ssd - new
    EVGA 500 B power supply - new
    Thrustmaster T16000m stick - new
    EDTracker - used / DELAN CLIP PS3 CAMERA - new
    CH Gameport Pro Pedals - used

12. Likes ATAG_Ezzie, Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Oh yeah true!
    I did put launcher64.exe line to the ts notifier to make it work, but I forget to put the fresh launcher64 at the NCP

Yes NCP AA has no effect other than maybe consuming perfomance

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Great thread, Guys. Thank you.

It needs to be 'Stickied'.

15. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    Great thread, Guys. Thank you.

It needs to be 'Stickied'.
    Done!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

V useful thread thx! I definitely need to go and have another look at my NCP for now I have Blitz installed. However, I cant actually remember what in-game settings I used for 4.312...... Is there a way of copying them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by diziet View Post
    V useful thread thx! I definitely need to go and have another look at my NCP for now I have Blitz installed. However, I cant actually remember what in-game settings I used for 4.312...... Is there a way of copying them?
    Its all saved in your 4.312s core.ini file but id recommend starting afresh to definitely avoid buggering anything up.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

a little addendum to my earlier tide of woe....

Sparse Grid Super sample does do something - "work" is stretching the definition though.

At higher settings (over 4X) the effect is a fuzzy sea (kinda looks like you leaned on the sharpness button) that becomes obviously wrong as you move your head. At lower settings I can see no major improvement (or minor for that matter), just a little more strain on the GPU.

It also seems that if you set Multisample (ie the "normal" AA), it turns off the SGSS even though it doesn't work in itself but ive not yet travelled that path of pointlessness to find out for sure. I may test more and add after reading up. I may not. It didnt

EDIT - so...I did

I'm using Nvidia Inspector - for the unfamiliar its another interface to the driver but with more stuff to make you feel superior. So basically, anything I did in this, I could have (mostly) done in NCP.

Right - AA - no impact.....none...nada...nowt. On or off or with some obscure setting it don't work. But we knew that right?

Sparse Grid Super Sampling (SGAA or Super sample) - Now, contrary to what I first thought it works regardless of what you do (pointlessly) with the AA . I'm playing at 1080P and I have to say the impact is simply...............hard to spot. The image does alter and there is perhaps a minimal amount of effect on the aliased distant rivers but it isn't so fabulous that its a must have. I found 4X is perhaps the best compromise between it doing something good and it doing something bad to the images. At higher resolutions this may be different but I doubt it.

Speaking of higher resolutions - there is nothing that SGAA does that upping the DSR to 1.77 @ 33% smoothing doesn't do better. Impact on performance seems to be similar too.
    Last edited by BOO; Dec-17-2017 at 11:47.

20. Likes =FI=Murph liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

So, would you recommend not bothering with supersample? Use multisample instead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Murph....I aint recommendin nuffin!! LOL

I think its perhaps more useful to help people understand what works and what doesn't. That way less hours are spent staring a pixels and imagining things have changed. Everyone has different rigs, eyes and a view about what it good.

All my tests have shown me that Nvidia Control Panel activated Multisample doesn't work in the game. The most effective way to get rid of jaggles is: the in game AA (setting 1-8 - what you choose makes no odds) and/or FXAA from the NCP. Both affect spotting to one degree or another. Its a balance and a judgment for the individual as to what is more important - nice graphics or the potential to spot a dot a little further.

Different engines work in different ways. When combined with the Nvidia AA the SGSS used to work wonders on BOS (not anymore - not needed) but doesn't do the same with Clod probably beause the engine is different and maybe because it really needs normal AA to be there as well.

In the above, I was flying at appox 3000ft which is where distant rivers are most prone to shimmer in my experience. The difference SGSS makes does reduce the shimmering effect but it also replaces it with something else that, to me, isn't much better. Given that its smacking your GPU like a naughtily kid left alone with a puppy, for me, its not worth it. Other may think differently.

The main thing though is that unlike the NCP AA, it does do something and so IS a twiddle that's (maybe) worth a twoddle
    Last edited by BOO; Dec-18-2017 at 03:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I thought id put up some simple layman's guidance on the various Vsync options available to NVidia users through the control panel. This is rough and ready. I see no point in pretending I'm an expert by just repeating what ive read elsewhere. What I share is based on about 120hours (no kidding) of exclusively testing graphics in the Betas and RC version of 4.5.

If you want to know the ins and outs of vsync and are prepared to spend 20 mins of your life that you will never get back watching THE most unimaginative power point presentation in the history of tech please see the video below.

If you just want to know what may work for you and why without the techno babble, skip to below the video. If you cant even be bothered to reead that (don't blame you) just skip to the headers "Who should Consider"

Before I yabber on - A note on what I consider to be a "loaded scene" . Up to now, the sighseeing trip over London in SP or the Black death track seem to have been the go to stress testers. I beg to differ - Without altering anything, the British Airfield Attack quick mission and the Free Flight over France seem harder on the GPU. The former has clouds, lots of AI, ground units flak and Smoke, the latter, a wodging great city to fly over low and clouds to fly into and look back towards the city from. So - please have a look at these, with your frame counter on, vsync off and frame limiters off.

Fly around them and adjust your settings in game to try and get to a point where the absolute MINIMUM fps is still above your monitor's refresh rate by a decent margin (or you lowest recorded fps is above). If it occasionally dips below its going to be a balance of what you can live with stutter wise and what you can live without in the graphics.

Of course some NVidia Control Panel Tweaks may help too (prefer max performance, lowering Ansitropic Filtering) but in the main its the in game video preferences that are going to get you into the ball park quicker.

Vysnc/Adaptive Vsync/Fast Sync -- Why?

Without the above, your system and game will spew out as many frames as it can and splatter them, without care or regard for what your monitor can handle. The result is that looking through the prop will result in odd letter box effects, whilst turning your head will result in the canopy framing shearing halfway up the image. - This is "Screan Tear". Vsync stops this but isn't perfect.

About Vsync

This is Nvidia's bog standard solution to screen tear. It effectively tells your system and game to only give it a certain maximum amount of frames per second. This is tied directly to what nvidias drivers detect to be you monitors refresh rate. So a 60hz Monitor will get a maximum of 60fps. As long as your rig can produce the minimum frame rate that equals your monitors refresh rate, you will enjoy evenly paced full frames synced to the refesh rate. This results in a smooth and fluid gaming experience. Finally, because its limiting how many frames are being produced, its likely to allow your GPU to run with a little less less power which can mean a lot less heat.

So- its all good right? - Wrong. The biggest problem with Vsync is that kinda backs up the pipeline. This results in delays between a controller input and the result being seen on screen. In a first person shooter such delays (input lag) can be fatal (actually not fatal, which is the problem I guess) when aiming with a mouse. In a sim like Clod its less dramatic so don't stress if you end up having to use vsync. Its really not that bad and there are a few tricks you can employ that may (or may not) reduce the input lag a little for you (mainly Frame Rate Limitation which ill talk about in a later post about Nvidia Inspector).

The other downside to vsync is that its very fussy about frames - if these drop below your monitors refresh rate then it will half the frame rate so that it can still display full frames. The result is uneven frame rates which show up as jerky or stuttering images. If you have an on screen fps this wont be immediately obvious or a direct halving of the frames because (I assume) vsync is bouncing back and forth between your full refresh rates fps and half of it, which gives the counter an average reading.

Who should consider Vsync? If you can game under load (see above) at between your monitors refresh rate and and double the refresh rate (so on a 60hz monitor that's 60-120fps) and are not a stone cold kill at all costs player, vsync is probably for you.

About Adaptive Vsync. First up this is not "Adaptive sync" which is an AMD monitor thing I believe. This is a different type of vsync which, according to Nvidia "enables vsync when your frame rate is over your refresh rate and disables it when its under". Simple eh? No. Its actually a little more convoluted. One thing it does help with is input lag (apparently) but this comes at some expense in terms of the smoothness of the game. In the many many tests ive made with it, I have never found it to be satisfactory. When the frames drop below 45 its stuttery, when they aint there is an odd effect like looking at a picture under a peccary dish full of rippling water.

Who should Consider Adaptive Sync?
    Input lag obsessed players who cant run the game at the settings Fast sync requires and who are prepared to put up with all the shutter/screen tear nastiness.

About Fast Sync.
    Right off the bat ill say this. The tech is supposed to require at least double the frame rate of your monitor. Any lower and it wont work. And that is my experience. Others however swear it works for them even though the fps they are pushing is too low. Whether this is because of a magic mix of components previously unknown to tech wallahs, a particular game , the way in which they play it (fixed views etc) or just a greater tolerance to stutters and a bull headed determination to believe its working I dunno. So all I say is try it. If it works great, if it doesn't here is probably why.

Fast sync isn't triple buffering. Triple buffering in D3D hasn't been supported at driver level by Nvidia since like forever. Games may use it but its something you cant influence by clicking on shit in the NCP. So there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. People hated vsync and adaptive vsync even more. First Person Shooter gaming tournaments were dominated by players choosing to play with awful tearing graphics which made Nvidia look bad (not that it mattered cos ATI hadnt just dropped the ball back then, they'd had it taken off them and popped).

BUT Nvidia was not content and saw an opportunity to sell even more uber video cards at the exorbitant prices a one horse market allows.. Et voila! Fast sync was born!

Basically fast sync uses all the frames its can get and magic's them into your monitors refresh rate. It obviously complicated so if you are interested, see the vid. The upshot is that latency is reduced to almost (according to Nvidia) non vsync levels. How the Baseball wearing, wispy bearded, gold medallion laden, track suited fps fraternity cheered!

For us Clodders, the upsides are very up - head movements are a lot less likely to make you puke, the prop effects are nicer and input lag (if you did notice it) are largly gone. Sadly the dude you are shooting at is still 150M from where you think he is due to ping but such are the first world problems of a global community and the limitations of the speed of light. But every little bit helps I guess.

The down side? - Unless you fall into the category I outlined at the start of this section, you need one helluva rig. The tech needs at least double the frame rate that your monitor is capable of displaying. Actually a little bit more. In fact the more the better. And that means top end cards. and it also means top end cards that are happy running all day like a Hollywood producer from an actress right now. And that means heat and power.

Who Should Consider Fast Sync? The rich. At least the hardware rich. Even with a 60hz monitor you need to be shifting 125 plus fps in your loaded scenes for this to truly work. This can be achieved by many in quiet areas at high alt and with few clouds but up that game and BANG, watch those fps tumble. Of course "truly work" means smooth like a greased George Clooney. If you can put up with stutters away from your element go for it.

Hope this helps someone

Cheers

BOO
    Last edited by BOO; Dec-18-2017 at 11:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I recommend AA OFF with FXAA ON. (Sometimes, FPS will actually increase as FXAA is applied). AA is widely acknowledged as an impediment to spotting distant objects. (Dots)

Anisotropic filtering is one of the features that actually does improve the picture. Use whatever you can live with on your system. (Some players report problems with this, however)

VSynch FAST is necessary to eliminate shearing in the propeller disk on my system.

Experiment with the "Change Resolution" page in the NVIDIA Control Panel. Try different Output Color Formats at different ranges. Depending on the type of TV/Monitor you are using, all kinds of strange and wonderful things can happen. Be careful if changing the Output Color Depth... higher bpc can be temporarily incompatible with your TV.

Texture Filtering "Quality" provides a much better picture with NO reduction in FPS, when compared to the "Performance/High performance setting ON MY SYSTEM.

Negative LOD Bias Clamp
    Negative LOD bias clamp for DirectX applications is not supported on Fermi-based GPUs and later. ...from NVIDIA release notes.
    Last edited by Baffin; Dec-19-2017 at 10:35.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

25. Likes BOO liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

GTX 970 owner here.
    I'm still screwing around with settings and what not.
    I'm using fast v-sync, and I'm pretty sure it's working well. I use this "Bader" mission over London to test. Lots of activity and, well, London. Going into battle 110 FPS in the ugly thick of things 30 25 momentarily. I think I can live with the results I'm getting. With vsync I woiuld go to 9 fps in the thick of things. Most missions are not going to be that intense for me. Single player dude. LOL
    Also since moving the sim to my SSD, no stutters any more.

My System specs: Win7-64, DX-11, I6-5500K, OC 4.2 16 gigs ram, GTX-970, 388.50 drivers. Logitech keyboard-Mouse-Headset, 5.1 speakers. Thrustmaster T1600 Throttle-Joystick. No peddles or wheel hardware
    Last edited by Procyon66; Dec-25-2017 at 22:19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Been trying Fast Sync but with a sobering experience. While the ingame fps counter tells me that fps is ok (except the occasional dramatic frame drop to 20-35 fps for several seconds for no obvious reason) the game looks stuttery on my monitor, especially when looking around. Went back to "normal" VSync and applied a 60fps framelock and the stuttery impression is gone. Still trying to fix my framedropping which is driving me insane...

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon66
    Also since moving the sim to my SSD, no stutters any more.
    considering moving game files to the SSD drive.
    Asus B350-Plus, AMD Ryzen5 5600 3.6Ghz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, XFX 6700XT 12Gb
    Iiyama 27" monitor 2560 x 1440
    Thrustmaster FCS PS3 EYE LED Tracking

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    Been trying Fast Sync but with a sobering experience. While the ingame fps counter tells me that fps is ok (except the occasional dramatic frame drop to 20-35 fps for several seconds for no obvious reason) the game looks stuttery on my monitor, especially when looking around. Went back to "normal" VSync and applied a 60fps framelock and the stuttery impression is gone. Still trying to fix my framedropping which is driving me insane...
    Curious... Mine was stuttery as hell looking around as well... Until i reset nvidia control panel to standard settings.

I then put fastsync back on.

Smooth as silk ever since.

I thought my track ir was the problem at first as looking around was really laggy....... Resetting nvidia to standard settings cured everything.
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Dec-27-2017 at 08:34.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    Interesting. I’ve been using fast sync as well and getting phenomenal frame rates, but...also seems to be less-than-smooth when panning around. Plus I get those same jumps in framerate with fast sync, too. I’ll give “normal” VSync a try. Not sure how to apply a 60 fps framelock, will have to examine the Nvidia Control Panel.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MezzA View Post
    considering moving game files to the SSD drive.
    Hmm, not a bad idea. I’ve got Blitz on an internal hard disk drive simply for space issues, but time to clean up the SSD drive to make room for Blitz!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

The things about fast sync is..................ah I give up.

33. Likes =FI=Murph liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    The things about fast sync is..................ah I give up.
    Works well for me.

Sounds to me like a lot of this stuff is system specific. Everyone is running a diffrenet set of values!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Interesting. I’ve been using fast sync as well and getting phenomenal frame rates, but...also seems to be less-than-smooth when panning around. Plus I get those same jumps in framerate with fast sync, too. I’ll give “normal” VSync a try. Not sure how to apply a 60 fps framelock, will have to examine the Nvidia Control Panel.
    with nvidia inspector you can easily limit the fps.

nvidia inspector.jpg
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

36. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.92 MB

I have tried all kinds of different settings discussed here. I have a GTX 1060 6GB Superclock card and I get by far the smoothest and best image quality with no input lag or anything like that just using the default VSync ON in NVidia control panel.
    In the sim VSync is OFF and I get a constant, steady 60 fps on the server even when there are alot of people flying. I am not sure why everyone insists on trying to get fast sync to work. I think it was pointed out by Boo or someone that if you don't normally get FPS twice your refresh that Fast Sync isnt going to work for you.

Maybe I misunderstood. Is there a reason the just regular old VSync and 60fps isnt working for people?
    "Everything I had ever learned about air fighting taught me that the man who is aggressive, who pushes a fight, is the pilot who is successful in combat and who has the best opportunity for surviving battle and coming home."
    Robert S. Johnson - 56th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

well yes it is system specific Seas. Specifically a system that is capable of producing at least just over double the fps of the refresh rate with the given settings at all times.

Id imagine an overclocked 8700K and 1080Ti like yours is such a system.

Flight simmers using headtracking are constantly forcing the graphics engine to render large amounts of data a they look around. In many cases this will cause frames to drop lower than in the forward view. The same now seems to go for the higher res cockpits - looking down to the instruments drops the fps a little. Its been a long time since I played a shoot em up FPS game but it always appeared to me that whilst the scenes looked gorgeous they were often quite simple and generally not moving underneath you at 300mph in a totally unrestricted environment. Unlike a flight sim.

Back to clod. If you have fps in the bag its not an issue but the further below the magic X2 fps of the refresh that fast sync requires, the more you will experience stutter even though you are seeing lots of frames. This is because those frames aint being rendered directly to the display buffer (ie you are not somehow magically getting 95 fps on your 60hz monitor), they are being produced by fast sync's flip flopping buffers in the background and the latest fully rendered buffer is being selected to hit your synced display's next scan cycle.

This all works well if there is enough data coming in to produce at least one fully rendered buffer in the time it takes for the scan cycle to complete on the front buffer. However, if there isn't then the frame doesn't refresh until the next cycle or the next or basically until there is something new ready to display. And you get uneven frame display times and you see stutter.

Now this hanging onto frames may sound dramatic but on a 60 hz monitor its just over 16ms per scan cycle. So its never likely youll see a slide show. just a hiccup or a stutter.

@ Snapper - if you are capping your fps at the monitors refresh rate for vsync that's ok- if you are capping at your monitor's refresh rate for fast sync itll likely crash unless you pick a higher rate. since you need roughly double at least for fast sync that would be 120 on a 60hz monitor - capping wont make fast sync any better.

39. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Stardog765 View Post

Maybe I misunderstood. Is there a reason the just regular old VSync and 60fps isnt working for people?
    Hello Stardog - Vsync does cause input lag but its not the problem in simming that it is in a shooter game. Fast sync reduces the input lag and also generates a slightly more pleasing to the eye prop effect so those that can run it smoothly should.

For those of us who cant (another 1060 user here) vsync is perfectly fine and works well and the input lag really isn't that much of an issue.

As well as the obvious smoothness issues for low and mid range systems there is also the potential for fast sync making things worse. For instance you are on the six of the enemy when something happens to cause frame drop (a cloud or a city rendering in) - now your frames drop, fast sync is playing silly buggers, the games gone a bit stuttery and guess whats happening to your input lag? Its all over the place. At least with vsync you have more chance of a constant that your brain, eyes and hands can work more easily with.

Fast sync was never intended to improve smoothness. Its sole reason for existence is the reduction of input lag in twitchy shoot em up/key press timing reliant games. Its a nice to have for higher end systems playing Clod.. Its not something worth sacrificing immersion, smooth graphics and detail for on lower spec systems though.

Regards

BOO

41. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

What you can do to reduce input lag when using normal VSync is force a framerate cap to 60fps (or your corresponding monitor refresh rate)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast