Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correction For Directional Gyro?

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

Correction For Directional Gyro?

I'm one of these oddballs who likes to set his course setter and directional gyro at the beginning of each flight. It gives me something to do while waiting for the engine to warm up.
    I seem to recall mention somewhere around the forums of the fact that the gyro should not actually match the course setter, but should be set something like 10 degrees off to correct for true north/magnetic north divergence? How much and in which direction, higher or lower? I do notice that if I match the gyro to north on the course setter, it does not read correctly compared to my flight path on the map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: Correction For Directional Gyro?

The magnetic declination modeled in game is -10 degrees, so your magnetic heading is always 10 degrees more/clockwise than your true heading. If you are pointing north on the compass (magnetic) you are actually on a course of 350 true. To have the gyro pointing at true north input your heading magnetic -10.

EDIT for clarity:

True bearing +10 = Mag. bearing

Mag bearing - 10 = true bearing

One way of remembering this on Clod could be "Magnetic is More" (than true bearing).

Hmm... "For True, trim ten"?
    Last edited by ATAG_kiwiflieger; Dec-25-2017 at 00:41.

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

3. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

So, if my reading on the course setter is 258 degrees, for example, set the gyro to 248?

5. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Adjust Directional Gyro 10 degrees more than Compass reading.

But this difference matter more in long distance flights in bombers, eg. Tramecourt to London.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

Now I'm confused. Should I add or subtract 10 degrees when setting the gyro? Cause I'm getting two opposite answers.

8. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Add 10 for the directional gyro, course setter compass is -10 from true north. So your example of 258 would be 268 on directional gyro. Also remember that any steep turns in flight, especially combat manoeuvres will knock over the the gyro and it will need resetting during level flight. This is probably the issue you are seeing when it’s not pointing anywhere near the right direction. Its easier to just use the course setter compass and go -10 from your desired heading if you have head tracking imo.
    Last edited by ATAG_Monkeynut; Dec-18-2017 at 14:54.

10. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

If your compass reads 0 (magnetic north), your true direction on the map is 350 degrees.

True north is 10 degrees more than magnetic. (In this map during 1940)

Last edited by DRock; Dec-18-2017 at 15:02.

12. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Hmmm, four replies, 2 for plus ten, 2 for minus. You pays your money...Now I’m confused too.

I’ve always subtracted 10 degrees from the map heading (used the protractor tool to work out the heading I want) and used that on the course setter ie. map says 180, I’d steer 170 on the course setter, but add the 10 back if I was using the directional gyro.

Maybe I’ve been 20 degrees out, but I always seem to end up in about the right spot with this method, might be more luck than judgement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

15. Likes Gingerbread, deep, 69th_Zeb, ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

I think I understand now. I always begin by aligning the course setter with the water compass (the little "t"). This gives me Magnetic North. I then set the gyro 10 degrees "to the left" of Magnetic North to get True North (subtract 10 degrees) All this assumes, for simplicity's sake, that we are facing 0/360. I do get that it takes very little to throw it off, and it has to be reset frequently. Thanks for the clarification.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    427.66 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

This picture is worth a thousand words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Murph View Post
    I think I understand now. I always begin by aligning the course setter with the water compass (the little "t"). This gives me Magnetic North. I then set the gyro 10 degrees "to the left" of Magnetic North to get True North (subtract 10 degrees) All this assumes, for simplicity's sake, that we are facing 0/360. I do get that it takes very little to throw it off, and it has to be reset frequently. Thanks for the clarification.
    LOL re our confusion. Murph, to me it seems like you should be adding 10 degrees to get true north.
    In the compass rose shown it looks like magnetic north is 10 degrees west, so shouldn't we be adding 10 to get to the true(truth)?

But don't take my word for it!
    Last edited by farley; Dec-19-2017 at 16:08.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

19. Likes ATAG_Vampire, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

Which one is true North? The dial on the outside ring, or the red arrow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Well I'm assuming (I know, I know....) that because the compass states Mag Var 10 W and points to 350 degrees it is showing the magnetic deviation.

Oh, just take my word for it, because I am never wrong!

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

If magnetic North is 10 degrees West of true, than true North is 10 degrees East of magnetic North. Therefore, if the magnetic North reading of the course setter gives us a heading of 270, for example, we need to set the gyro compass 10 degrees east of that, or 280. That way the gyro compass is giving us a reading based on true North.
    When I'm flying with friends I try to call course changes based on what the gyro compass is telling me.
    Thanks for helping me work all that out.

23. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

A Directional Gyro (DG) is simply a sophisticated display of the magnetic compass heading that eliminates most of the inherent weaknesses in the Magnetic, "Whisky" compass, like dip error and acceleration error.. In real aviation, the DG is always set to match the magnetic compass which may be corrected for any installation error (found on a little card next to the instrument). This is done during the preflight checks and whenever necessary inflight due to gyroscopic precession. The DG instrument is never corrected for magnetic variation. Whether you're flying a Piper Cub or a Boeing 777, you always want to be looking at Magnetic heading. (With rare special exceptions where variation is extreme).

Magnetic variation is a component of flight planning and the correction for variation is reflected there. For example, the flight plan log will have a column of numbers with the magnetic courses next to a column of true courses, the difference being the variation for that segment of the flight.

Here's a link to a typical navigation log. Column TH (True Heading) corrected for variation equals column MH (Magnetic Heading) on the log.

https://santamonicaflyers.com/wp-con...gation-Log.pdf

There are lots of sites online to help you learn VFR flight planning like this one:

https://max.aero/flight-training/pri...avigation-log/
    Last edited by Baffin; Dec-26-2017 at 09:30.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

You the man Baffin.

Yeah, if you go to that cool Russian CLOD map calculator, or use the original WW2 map, or the in-game 'M' map, or your bearing callouts...

You can, as a different method, take the number + 10 and set the compass to it. Doesn't matter if you're 180+ or -. Just +10 to anything.

Because the Blenheim autopilot relies on the DG being set to 0 for its course, I never set it. I always use the compass. I have a 30 degree and 90 degree field of view shortcut on my hat switch so I can see my compass (non of that digital panel cheating... ).

Baffin can probably tell you all about gyro drift, which thankfully, is not modelled in CLOD. phew.

On another note, I've been reading "The Decisive Campaigns of the Desert Airforce". One of the pilots refused to fly without his P8 compass, even though a lot of them had already flown halfway around the world without nav-aids. There was navigation with the sun/stars and all, but the pilot waited until a new one came in.

They are still finding old wrecks in North Africa now and then. Would have been a nightmare to navigate inland (or at sea) with all those sandstorms and flat land.

I never thought reading about navigation stories would get my heart beating. Sort of like a nerdy spectrum of anxiety. hehe
    Last edited by 69th_Zeb; Dec-25-2017 at 09:24.

26. Likes Baffin, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiflieger View Post
    (edit to previous post)

True bearing +10 = Mag. bearing

Mag bearing - 10 = true bearing

One way of remembering this on Clod could be "Magnetic is More" (than true bearing).

Hmm... "To get True, Trim off Ten"?
    Have been doing a bit of nap of the earth flying recently and using my compass and DG in the 110. Before takeoff I take my Repeater Compass bearing - 10 and input that into my Directional Gyro so I can set autopilot courses in True bearings. I've never been more than about 1 km off planned course after 100km+ on the deck (excepting one incident with yotheguy).
    If you add 10 to your magnetic heading and input that into the DG, then you will be +20 degrees off true and wondering why you're at Manston when you should be at Lympne...

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Just remember that Blitz is a +10 sim and you'll always remember to add that to your compass heading!

Ahh... coffee with Bailey's and some quiet to start Christmas day....

Merry Christmas everyone!

29. Likes =FI=Murph liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

For further clarification for anyone becoming more confused, without touching anything on your nav stuff:
    • In an allied aircraft, fly north in single player or server #2 only using your in-game map (true north)
    • In level flight, after the compass stabilizes, note the difference between your moving map and compass. That's your deviation.
    • Spin the dial on your P8 compass until the red "N" and white cross/little plane needle align. This method will always give you your magnetic course.
    • If you have done this correctly, you'll notice your compass will read 10 degrees on the blue text to the right while your map track is still true north.

As Baffin stated a while back, conventional gear aircraft (taildraggers) will wonk your compass while it is on the ground, you need to be flying straight and level to set your DG.
    There's a nice pamphlet which someone made that shows runway headings for different airfields, those should be magnetic. You can use those to get a rough-in for your DG just before takeoff. I don't believe the DG is affected by ground angle.

If you want to fly allied bombers, you will not be able to use the DG for nav if you're using autopilot, that is why I never use the DG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

But this is a computer game...

For players interested in Aviation procedures, I recommend the FAA's "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" here:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...aviation/phak/

Go directly to Navigation (Chapter 16) here:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli..._phak_ch16.pdf
    Last edited by Baffin; Dec-26-2017 at 09:27. Reason: Removed long text.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    But this is a computer game... ]
    Yes, a computer game with so many half-done, shortcuts ...

I want navigate by "PROCEDURE" but the 3D of British compass don't has the Lubber Line neeed set the Course Setter - a few static pixels added over a fixed surface, but fix this is considered not important (1) - players instead read the heading in compass the player can read then in a digital blue "HUD" over screen (Luftwaffe planes just need place the mouse cursor over the compass to see the digital true heading in pop=up).

Then why not just show the HDG over screen a la EAW/IL-2'46 like most will approve? FYI - I am not fan of this, but since Lw players can "cheat"...

I don't want that silly blue CloD "HUD" thing over game screen (I don't need know that "Wheel brakes is 88%, "Wheel brakes is 89%, "Wheel brakes is 90%"....) , but this lack of Lubber Line on British compass prevents turn this OFF, since I don't have a reference for place the Course Setter.

(1) Talking in what are "important" this radiador placard in Spit I cockpit received more consideration than Compass Lubber Line - but their "fix" don't result useful, because the associated radiator lever movement was not fixed:

https://s10.postimg.org/glam65qop/Spit_Rad.gif

33. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

I'm somewhat lost with the compass and gyro in the Spit. The procedure seems to be to align the outer ring of your compass with the needle pointing north, giving you a bearing with you can than copy to your gyro. But as soon as you make a turn the gyro lost its bearing and you need to calibrate it again. What is the use of the gyro?

And why can't we read the compass directly but need to glance a bit to the side, zoom in and then rotate the outer ring to read the compass. I can't imagine that's how they did it. It's a compass with a needle pointing north, so you can always read your heading...
    Newbie CloD 4.53 pilot, all advice welcome!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

mca2 have a look at this video.

It was made some time ago but does explain the basics quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQiWzjDStG8

You can use the 'clickable' in cockpit buttons but you may find it easier to assign keys in the game 'Options'>'Controls'>'Aircraft'. Somewhere near the bottom of the list.

The Magnetic Declination or variation for 1940 was 10 degrees so add that to your Directional gyro when setting this up.

It is very clumsy compared to the 'Blue' aircraft in the sim. However, with a bit of practice it is possible to re-set the compass/gyro in flight.

Hope you find this useful.

o7
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by mca2 View Post
    I'm somewhat lost with the compass and gyro in the Spit. The procedure seems to be to align the outer ring of your compass with the needle pointing north, giving you a bearing with you can than copy to your gyro. But as soon as you make a turn the gyro lost its bearing and you need to calibrate it again. What is the use of the gyro?
    The utility of Directional Gyro is make easy read compass magnetic bearings - but in CloD gyro lack the "cage" function, what certainly make this drift at each hard curve (In Bo'X Spit Mk.V this "cage" is modeled "automatic").

You can read headings direct in P-8 compass, leaving Course Setter N aligned with compass "Lubber Line" - no modeled in CloD compass, or a 12:00 o'clock.

But P-8 compass is a 'British" thing - a naval compass, so the true heading result mirrored, e.g. if compass needle "+" (with Course Setter N at 12:00 o'clock) point for 90, the true heading is 270.

Better explained there: http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/flig...vanced_nav.php

And why can't we read the compass directly but need to glance a bit to the side, zoom in and then rotate the outer ring to read the compass. I can't imagine that's how they did it. It's a compass with a needle pointing north, so you can always read your heading...
    Modern games (RoF, Bo'X, DCSW) allow player create custom snap views for cockpit corners, like CloD "Glance at dashboard", but customize for each plene, in CLoD "Glance at Dashboard" show DG in Spitfire, but not in Hurricane...

And by default this games came with snap view for all important instruments, by just press a key/button, example, the instruments in Ju 88 engine nacelle .

In this matter CloD (original) makers follow that rule... "mor'difficult, mor'real".

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.76 MB

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Murph View Post
    Now I'm confused. Should I add or subtract 10 degrees when setting the gyro? Cause I'm getting two opposite answers.
    In real life pilots make flight plans using True Course (TC), i.e. using Geographic North, and then, because 1) the in-flight reference instrument is a compass anyway, 2) Runways are aligned to magnetic headings, etc. we fly using magnetic headings. That is also what ATC expects. So you calculate your TC using the chart and correct for variation.

Example:
    Say you compute on the chart TC = 270 deg to reach you next waypoint. Then you add (algebraically) magnetic variation (+W, -E, mnemonic: "East is least").

In IL-2 COD Var = 10 deg W, thus you have MC = TC + Var = 270 + (+10) = 280 magnetic. You set the Gyro to match MC, thus acting like a virtual compass.

You can do it in a different way too, but this is the ICAO standard that is thought in flight schools. The online community may be using a different standard because of quirks on how the simulation is programmed. I do not know and will refer you to TF for details.

Fighter pilots can (mostly) ignore this issue, bomber pilots are expected and require to know.

~Uranor

38. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Thanks for all the replies. I've seen the very nice movies on how to use the compass and gyro. But as 1lokos says, normally you would have been able to read the compass when leaving the outer ring with N pointing ahead. Ok, with some math for it being a naval compass. But as he also says, it's programmed a bit funky in the game. But you can't read outer ring but you can align the course setter and compass needle and then read the headings in the info window (don't think Spit pilots had that in those days) after you managed to create a view to actually see your compass.

In other words, the compass reading is overcomplicated, but I guess I have to live with it
    Newbie CloD 4.53 pilot, all advice welcome!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Basically you can correct your DG by adding +10 to your magnetic reading if you want to be able to fly a heading that you plot on the map, or just chase down contacts that the radio man gives you. Alternatively you can just take 10 off from whatever course you plot or radio heading and keep your DG on magnetic.

After a while , and especially if you are at altitude, you just get a 'feel' for the map and can navigate pretty accurately without need for the compass (or only referring to it once every 15 mins or so).
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by mca2 View Post
    ....after you managed to create a view to actually see your compass.
    A "Glance at compass" view, workaround with XPadder macro.

Nine keypress macro to do the job that in other flight games is done with one key press...

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

HTML Code:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/MISB_ST_0601.8_-_Platform_Magnetic_Heading.png/300px-MISB_ST_0601.8_-_Platform_Magnetic_Heading.png
    See image: if magnetic north is left true north so;
    1 - read the map heading (ex: 90 degrees)
    2 - Add more 10 degrees for magnetic heading

[]`s

Ecosta
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast