Thread: JU 88 Prop Pitch settings

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

JU 88 Prop Pitch settings

in the new blitz version it appears that the prop pitch setting for the JU 88 only show up as UP or DN where it used to give me a percentage eg. 80% 100% etc
    the cockpit is very much darker than before so its hard to see gauges . is there a way to make the info window show % like it did before ?. I can not tell if its an info window problem or a Ju88 Problem or a TGIF problem anyone flying 88 notice this TY TGIF

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: JU 88 Prop Pitch settings

its not a tgif problem. The lighting in 4.5 does help a little more but wouldnt a working secondary illumination have been a boon? Ah well

Anyhow, all I can suggest is either removing the gun (but then you lose at lot of ability to see in to the distance to line up) or just move it so its butt's at 1 oclock to better see the rpm gauges.

Perhaps experienced 88ers will have more insight

S!

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    its not a tgif problem. The lighting in 4.5 does help a little more but wouldnt a working secondary illumination have been a boon? Ah well

Anyhow, all I can suggest is either removing the gun (but then you lose at lot of ability to see in to the distance to line up) or just move it so its butt's at 1 oclock to better see the rpm gauges.

Perhaps experienced 88ers will have more insight

S!

BOO

thanks but its not just that I cant see the gauges well . the read out on the info windows just says up or dn not a percentage like before makes it hard to keep an eye on the engine
    I always keep gun out any way so I am good there Can'tfiqure why the change to up or dn ??? I fly the 88 fairly often and I too would offer a reward for a light on the right side of the dash board. That has always fallen on deaf ears , while the 109 lights up like broadway

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by tgif View Post
    in the new blitz version it appears that the prop pitch setting for the JU 88 only show up as UP or DN where it used to give me a percentage eg. 80% 100% etc
    the cockpit is very much darker than before so its hard to see gauges . is there a way to make the info window show % like it did before ?. I can not tell if its an info window problem or a Ju88 Problem or a TGIF problem anyone flying 88 notice this TY TGIF
    You can set up a particular view which will show you the gauges in your snap views.

You also can turn up the illumination so the gauges are easier to see.

5. Likes tgif liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

The RPM is no longer 0-100% like a spit/hurri, it is as a 109 engine. ( as it should have been I guess?) You must have a 'neutral' setting as compared to how you are used to in the previous version. for example - IF you use a roller/lever then half way is neutral. Beyond halfway cranks the engine RPM up, before halfway cranks it down, return to neutral to stop the adjustment. I think there are 'clock' dials on the engines.. I think. Make sense?

7. Likes tgif liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    You can set up a particular view which will show you the gauges in your snap views.

You also can turn up the illumination so the gauges are easier to see.

I wasn't aware you can set up a custom snap view. I wasnt aware snap views even work once head tracking is engaged. Not doubting just wondering if its new since the only way I understood this could be done was with a piece of third party software that seemed a bit flaky.

The rpms are on the right hand side - this is the secondary illumination area. The Secondary illumination doesn't function in the 88 at this time.

Cheers

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

9. Likes tgif liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

in the new blitz version it appears that the prop pitch setting for the JU 88 only show up as UP or DN where it used to give me a percentage eg. 80% 100% etc the cockpit is very much darker than before so its hard to see gauges . is there a way to make the info window show % like it did before ?.
    You can create a Info Window in the same way as before - see in the fixed topic, but for Ju 88 the digital information will not show how many % the PP is set, you need use the instruments in cockpit (or use VC). The command "Glance at Dashboard (set a key/button in View) improve see the left instrument a bit, right is only partially visible.

Is advisable save ("SAVE AS") a controls profile exclusive for this plane, since PP command like in Bf 109/110 is inverted relative to British planes, if you use + and - for PP in Ju 88 - is UP and + is Down, a old CloD issue.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Dec-18-2017 at 18:59.

11. Likes RAF74_Buzzsaw, tgif, ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    You can create a Info Window in the same way as before - see in the fixed topic, but for Ju 88 the digital information will not show how many % the PP is set, you need use the instruments in cockpit (or use VC). The command "Glance at Dashboard (set a key/button in View) improve see the left instrument a bit, right is only partially visible.

Is advisable save ("SAVE AS") a controls profile exclusive for this plane, since PP command like in Bf 109/110 is inverted relative to British planes, if you use + and - for PP in Ju 88 - is UP and + is Down, a old CloD issue.

THANKS TO ALL FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS EACH INPUT HELPS TO UNDERSTAND I WILL HAVE TO LEARN A NEW WAY TO DO THIS BUT NOW I WONT WASTE TIME TRYING TO DO SOMETHING THAT CAN'T BE CHANGED

I HAVE more questions of course , my old JU 88 has become different so I have things to try and relearn TGIF

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

THANKS TO ALL FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS EACH INPUT HELPS TO UNDERSTAND I WILL HAVE TO LEARN A NEW WAY TO DO THIS BUT NOW I WONT WASTE TIME TRYING TO DO SOMETHING THAT CAN'T BE CHANGED

I HAVE more questions of course , my old JU 88 has become different so I have things to try and relearn TGIF
    You will find your new Ju-88 will do a lot of things better... and is more maneuverable.

The change to the prop pitch mechanism by the way is historical.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    10.59 MB

the prop dial on the engine.
    ju88 prop.jpg
    to improve sight on the instr.panel simply move the frontgun full left and down.
    ju88 instr.jpg
    lean to the frontgun also gives you a good FOV when taxiing and in flight.
    I HAVE more questions of course
    just write a pm
    Last edited by jg4_hanseat; Dec-19-2017 at 11:03.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Re: JU 88 Bombing

well I haven't got a clue how any of you are bombing anything with the JU 88 . I notice no one is flying with it. It blows its gaskets in 1/2 sec if I drop the nose at all I have tried it with air brakes , no rads lots of rads prayers curses and voodoo charms . if I turn the engine off ,it can be done but that's just falling down to target . It maybe conflicts in my controls I sure cant tell. if any one has used it as a dive bomber I would like to hear about it cause you sure cant do it with the one I have. No one would have built 16000 of mine that's for sure ..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: JU 88 Bombing

well I haven't got a clue how any of you are bombing anything with the JU 88 . I notice no one is flying with it. It blows its gaskets in 1/2 sec if I drop the nose at all I have tried it with air brakes , no rads lots of rads prayers curses and voodoo charms . if I turn the engine off ,it can be done but that's just falling down to target . It maybe conflicts in my controls I sure cant tell. if any one has used it as a dive bomber I would like to hear about it cause you sure cant do it with the one I have. No one would have built 16000 of mine that's for sure ..........
    Hello Tgif

The Ju-88 uses a prop pitch system which is variable... not constant speed. This is historical.

If you look to your left to the engine nacelle, you will see gauges... one of those is a clock type... as you adjust pitch, the clock will wind up or down, getting closer or further away from the 12:00 position. Closer to 12:00 means finer pitch, and higher rpms... further away means coarser pitch and lower rpms. Also on the nancelle is the oil temperature gauge.

Maximum recommended rpm on the Jumo engine is 2400. You don't want to go higher than this. Cruise rpm is 2100.

With a variable speed system, you need to adjust the pitch if you raise or lower the nose. This also means you need to reduce pitch prior to beginning a dive bombing attack to avoid over-revving the engine. Prior to a dive bomb attack, you should reduce the pitch to be around 09:30 to be sure you will not over-rev. Then hit your dive brakes and start the attack. You should be able to leave the throttle at approx. 50%. When you pull out of the attack, you will need to bring up the rpms again... so you will increase the pitch... bring the propellor closer to 12:00... usually around 11:00. And you will simultaneously increase the throttle.

Re. radiators... you should be able to set them at 75% for both oil cooler and radiator and not have any issues with overheat... assuming you are not running maximum boost or 1.35 ata and maximum rpms all the time... as mentioned cruise rpms are 2100, cruise boost is 1.1 ata. For combat you can probably get away with 1.25ata/2300 rpm for quite a while.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Dec-30-2017 at 17:24.

17. Likes Gingerbread, uranor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

I've had a few 88 runs. Other then keeping an eye and ear on the revs, all is fine.

Ive not dive bombed though, but realise there is a good amount of engine management for sure. I reckon that would be realistic.

On a positive note, its nice flying knowing that the AI gunners are more accurate, so I can concentrate of flying.

Saw a venting Hurri fly oast me yesterday after his attack. Not long after the kill message can up.

Pretty cool and should encourage more people to fly bombers knowing you are no longer a sitting duck

19. Likes gonk, Gingerbread liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Pattle Thanks for your description . I hope you get a chance to try dive bombing , if you do maybe tell us how that went here . I am not having very good luck with it myself . I will keep trying as my time permits . If any one else if flying an 88 ,it would help to hear how you are making out. It always takes me a long time to learn a new plane or most anything else for that matter. I am hoping some one else will get good at it and maybe I can gradually get the hang of it from them . It seems on the face of it to me that with The reds will retain there Blenheim and the 88 will be less effective and the "balance of Power " will shift . that's fine of course . I wonder if there is anyway to tell how many 88 flights might be occurring or how many red map wins or blue map wins there are . That might be another clue to how much the 88 is being used in the future . I cant really fly it right now and I could before possibly others are finding it that way . I suppose it would still be a level bombing tool. I haven't go that far with it . all though I am a mediocre bomber I do have one thing going for me , I am fairly persistent, which while annoying, over comes many things . so Ill plug away at this for while for awhile to an Irishman is just under a thousand years . Thanks again for your thoughts on the matter

TGIF

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Pattle Thanks for your description . I hope you get a chance to try dive bombing , if you do maybe tell us how that went here . I am not having very good luck with it myself . I will keep trying as my time permits . If any one else is flying an 88 ,it would help to hear how you are making out. It always takes me a long time to learn a new plane or most anything else for that matter. I am hoping some one else will get good at it and maybe I can gradually get the hang of it from them . It seems on the face of it to me that with The reds will retain there Blenheim and the 88 will be less effective and the "balance of Power " will shift . that's fine of course . I wonder if there is anyway to tell how many 88 flights might be occurring or how many red map wins or blue map wins there are . That might be another clue to how much the 88 is being used in the future . I cant really fly it right now and I could before possibly others are finding it that way . I suppose it would still be a level bombing tool. I haven't got that far with it . all though I am a mediocre bomber I do have one thing going for me , I am fairly persistent, which while annoying, over comes many things . so Ill plug away at this for while for awhile to an Irishman is just under a thousand years . Thanks again for your thoughts on the matter

TGIF

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    10.59 MB

i would add to all recommendations above:

set drop hight to 1000m or above - depending on the weight of your ju 88 at this moment
    set prop to something between 9:00 and 10.00 o´clock during dive
    wait for the automatic to release the bomb and recover the plane
    chose a short interval or salvo as bombmode

divebombing is straightforward - you get your result within 30 seconds

S!

23. Likes tgif, DRock liked this post
    varrattu

Lightbulb Re: JU 88 Prop Pitch settings

The Junkers JU88A-1 had to have dive-bombing capacity. Therefore the propeller pitch control could be be set to automatic [1]. In automatic mode a centrifugal governor keeps the RPM at ~2350 (Ju88A-1 Manual 03/1940 Page 7 - 05). The automatic control should be engaged during take-off and diving (Ju88A-1 Manual 03/1940 Page 7 – 03).

~ V ~

PS: The automatic pitch control by the way is historical. Please vote: Bugtracker issue #1030
    Last edited by varrattu; Jan-03-2018 at 09:08.

25. Likes jg4_hanseat, tgif, DRock, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

I've being trying to fly the 88 for some time now. Engine management combined with a bombing run has proved to be quite complex so far. As auto pilot mode 22 goes into a silly dive, I normally stuck to course mode. Getting a nice 5 - 7 m/s climb rate and a level bomb run proves to be quite complex. Adjusting the prop pitch and throttle hardly ever gives the result I like. Any hints?

But all in all the 88 is the most powerful bomber in the game with a big payload and strong engines. The blenny only has twice the load of a 110. Wondering why Red doesn't complain for a more powerful bomber such as the Wellington.
    Newbie CloD 4.53 pilot, all advice welcome!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
    I've being trying to fly the 88 for some time now. Engine management combined with a bombing run has proved to be quite complex so far. As auto pilot mode 22 goes into a silly dive, I normally stuck to course mode. Getting a nice 5 - 7 m/s climb rate and a level bomb run proves to be quite complex. Adjusting the prop pitch and throttle hardly ever gives the result I like. Any hints?

But all in all the 88 is the most powerful bomber in the game with a big payload and strong engines. The blenny only has twice the load of a 110. Wondering why Red doesn't complain for a more powerful bomber such as the Wellington.
    Red doesn't know we have so many bombs, they are still distracted with extra 40s.lol

Auto pilot is at 0 degrees. Once you kick it on to course mode it will steer towards 0 degrees on the gyro. That's why is turns.

As for the 22 mode, the 88 wants to reach 400 kph before it will level out. That's why it dives.

If you are on today, look for me. I can show you some tips.

~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Use the auto pilot mode 22. In both the He111 and Ju88 the autopilot goes into a dive as described in the manual and Chuck's Guide. You will lose 500-800 metres while the autopilot takes control. Plan for this by being at an appropriate altitude and make sure your engines are not set above cruise rpm/ata settings, 2100/1.1. During the dive your airspeed will increase and your rpm will go up. Once it settles you can check your new speed and altitude and program the Lotfe.

Try it a few times by flying up to 4500m, setting your directional gyro and autopilot to the heading you are flying, then switch it on and take your hands of the controls. It works very reliably.
    Last edited by ATAG_Oskar; Feb-25-2018 at 12:20. Reason: typo

29. Likes DRock, BOO, uranor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    Use the auto pilot mode 22. In both the He111 and Ju88 the autopilot goes into a dive as described in the manual and Chuck's Guide. You will lose 500-800 metres while the autopilot takes control. Plan for this by being at an appropriate altitude and make sure your engines are not set above cruise rpm/ata settings, 2100/1.1. During the dive your airspeed will increase and your rpm will go up. Once it settles you can check your new speed and altitude and program the Lotfe.

Try it a few times by flying up to 4500m, setting your directional gyro and autopilot to the heading you are flying, then switch it on and take your hands of the controls. It works very reliably.
    Since the 88 has a hard time reaching 400 and it takes too long to level out, I've gone to trimming in Course Mode. Then I don't lose altitude, and I can go 200kph if I want to keep the bomb grouping smaller from altitude. It takes some practice, but worth the time. I've done the same with the Blenheim.

~S~

31. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Thanks for the swift replies! The course mode works ok for me, and I use it more or less as soon as I’m of the ground. I then try to trim my plane into a 5-7m/s climb, but end up at about 1-4m/s. I’ve got the superchargers on above 1500m, rads <70%, but can’t get i nice throttle/pitch combo for a good climb. What’s a good pitch to start with?

And just like Drock I trim the plane (more or less) level, preferably >5000m.

As I’m still learning, I normally make sure I have a long straight bomb run to set everything up and align myself. Normally takes about 20mins before I’m over my target.

I might be online later tonight, and will check if you’re online drock, thanks for the offer.

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

33. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Thanks for the swift replies! The course mode works ok for me, and I use it more or less as soon as I’m of the ground. I then try to trim my plane into a 5-7m/s climb, but end up at about 1-4m/s. I’ve got the superchargers on above 1500m, rads <70%, but can’t get i nice throttle/pitch combo for a good climb. What’s a good pitch to start with?

And just like Drock I trim the plane (more or less) level, preferably >5000m.

As I’m still learning, I normally make sure I have a long straight bomb run to set everything up and align myself. Normally takes about 20mins before I’m over my target.

I might be online later tonight, and will check if you’re online drock, thanks for the offer.
    you should be good around 4-5 mps climb, 70%water rads, 60% oil.

The prop pitch controls the RPM which you want to maintain between 2100-2200. The throttle affects your manifold pressure. Keep that below the red around 1.2-1.3.

For more accuracy, check this Lotfe7 bombing companion out.https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ls/lotfe7.html
    Last edited by DRock; Feb-25-2018 at 23:58.

35. Likes Tumbler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    you should be good around 4-5 mps climb, 70%water rads, 60% oil.

The prop pitch controls the RPM which you want to maintain between 2100-2200. The throttle affects your manifold pressure. Keep that below the red around 1.2-1.3.

For more accuracy, check this Lotfe7 bombing companion out.https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ls/lotfe7.html
    Played around with throttle and pitch. Pitch also affects pressure it seems? But managed a steady climb but then couldn't find the target... The lofte tool I was already using and comes in handy.

I did notice that (since 4.53?) there's no longer a messages when your turn off auto pitch. I do get it in the 110, but not in the 88?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Played around with throttle and pitch. Pitch also affects pressure it seems? But managed a steady climb but then couldn't find the target... The lofte tool I was already using and comes in handy.

I did notice that (since 4.53?) there's no longer a messages when your turn off auto pitch. I do get it in the 110, but not in the 88?
    The 88 doesn't have auto prop pitch.

Yes, pitch can affect the manifold pressure, but use the throttle to maintain your desired pressure.

varrattu

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    The 88 doesn't have auto prop pitch.
    The iL2CoD JU88A-1 automatic propeller pitch doesn't work: Bugtracker issue #1030

The -historical- Junkers JU88A-1 propeller pitch control could be be set to automatic. The automatic control should be engaged during take-off and diving (Ju88A-1 Manual 03/1940 Page 7 – 03).

~V~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

The abysmal lighting in the 88 cockpit doesn't help especially in low sun scenarios - I believe that's already in the bugtracker and has been for years.

Of course now someone is going to come along and tell me it was fixed in 4.53 aint they!!

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.76 MB

Quote Originally Posted by varrattu View Post
    The iL2CoD JU88A-1 automatic propeller pitch doesn't work: Bugtracker issue #1030

The -historical- Junkers JU88A-1 propeller pitch control could be be set to automatic. The automatic control should be engaged during take-off and diving (Ju88A-1 Manual 03/1940 Page 7 – 03).

~V~
    Is there a manual available somewhere? Probably asking too much, but an english version would be awesome. Chuck's guide is very good and should be enough for anyone in CloD.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.76 MB

Quote Originally Posted by uranor View Post
    Is there a manual available somewhere? Probably asking too much, but an english version would be awesome. Chuck's guide is very good and should be enough for anyone in CloD.
    Found an answer to my own question; luckily there seem to be some versions online.

The Team Fusion Wiki is also excellent and seems to be applicable to the recent version(s) of CloD. Not sure if it has been updated recently.

From personal experience, the autopilot, including Mode 22, works well. The trick is to have the airplane well trimmed on all axes before engaging the autopilot. If the elevator is well trimmed for level flight, the "dive" does not happen or is minimal. One issue I did notice, is that the Ju88 Mode 22 tends to have small oscillation (amplitude about a fraction of a degree, frequency of about 2 Hz) around the trim point. The He 111 does not oscillate: steady as a train. I suspect that the issue maybe the gains of the autopilot for the Ju88. If the same gains are used for both flight models, it may result in one not working as well as the other. Just a guess, as I have no way of knowing.

I start my bomb run at least 20 Km away from the target, so there is enough time to trim everything. Even then, it is not trivial. It is worth the effort to learn though.

Cheers,
    ~Uranor

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Re bomb load 88vs 111

at one point one of the german based groups were doing a study on the game bomb loads (gp vs ap) dropping on targets seeing what the damage rating was. not sure what the result was.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)