Thread: Adjusting Force Feedback to your preference

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Adjusting Force Feedback to your preference

There is a way to modify the FF to your own tastes.

In your main IL-2 folder:

il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover blitz/parts/core/FF/

You will see a number of files... play with the values in them to adjust the FF to your liking.

So those who hate the 109 cannon shake can reduce this force... but warning: You also will reduce the force on all type cannons.

EDIT:

Here's another thread on the subject:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...force+feedback
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Dec-19-2017 at 00:38.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Adjusting Force Feedback to your preference

I just disable (by renaming the file extensions) all the forces except "shake" and "spring." Still get feedback for flying without the threat of the stick jumping off my desk. Not my idea, was shared long ago by someone more knowledgeable than I.

~S~

AKA Knutsac

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Hi Knuts...You can of course just remove the unwanted files...That's what I did...Everything apart from 'spring'

Although I have a feedback stick I have never been a fan of the FFB...The return to centre spring is lovely and beats a true mechanical spring on the MSSW2FFB...It becomes more active as you increase speed and harder to move as in reality I guess...But all the other shake is too much for me...I find it hard enough to fly and aim without the stick jumping around like you're fighting a Jack Russell at the same time...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I have uploaded FEdit which is a ForceFeedback editing software...Its a difficult one to find on the net now, but I still had it knocking around my files on my HD...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tb4tvo...20Software.zip

Let me know if its any good or still works...Its been a while since I spent the hours of tinkering with it but it did work pretty well a few years ago...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

5. Likes major_setback liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Thanks guys...Just coming back to Blitz after a long absence playing BoX in anticipation of TF this Summer.Like you I found my MS FFB stick bouncing off my work bench with the 109 & 110 making accurate shooting impossible. I was going to start a new thread making a plea for help when I ran across this semi old thread I just happened on was really helpful! Will test out name changes you recommend immediately!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Thanks guys...Just coming back to Blitz after a long absence playing BoX in anticipation of TF this Summer.Like you I found my MS FFB stick bouncing off my work bench with the 109 & 110 making accurate shooting impossible. I was going to start a new thread making a plea for help when I ran across this semi old thread I just happened on was really helpful! Will test out name changes you recommend immediately!
    Not that I really want to help with your aim and accuracy, with me being an RAF pilot. But there's another thread somewhere that included a link to a collection of FFB files in either light, medium, or standard forces. Plus if I recall correct a special edit to the autocannon file that delays the onset of forces. This being the same file that is used for wing buffeting / stall forces. Something you might not want to be without by renaming or deleting it. I have these files for a long time but can't recall where from. I've never had anything but my MS FFB stick and would not go without these forces. Even though in Cliffs FFB has a few issues.

Daz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Hi Blitzen,

Some excellent info to be found in this thread:

and this download:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...&downloadid=92

Many thanks to those who created the thread, and to BOO & Co for the .ffe downloadable file and BOO's fantastic write up on FFB in Cliffs of Dover.

I've been spending quite a bit of time myself over the past few days reviving my trusty Sidewinder 2 FFB stick doing some research myself (and relying heavily on the info linked above). I'm finding it's a tradeoff between excessive cannon shake (throwing off your cannonfire aim) and still maintaining the point-of-stall shake that is so helpful/crucial for Spit and Hurri pilots in a turn 'n burn dogfight. Reduce cannon shake and the pre-stall shake likewise gets reduced. Arrgh.

It's a work in progress. Let me know if you come up with anything.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Let me know if you come up with anything.
    Fly with peace

As they say... No guns is no Schmuns*

erm.

That's all I could come up with to be honest.

Probably losing my touch.

*a word I made up for rhyming purposes

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

10. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

It's a work in progress. Let me know if you come up with anything. [/QUOTE]

Knutsac's advice ( see above) was the simplest & seemed to work just fine
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hi Blitzen,

Some excellent info to be found in this thread:

and this download:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...&downloadid=92

Many thanks to those who created the thread, and to BOO & Co for the .ffe downloadable file and BOO's fantastic write up on FFB in Cliffs of Dover.

I've been spending quite a bit of time myself over the past few days reviving my trusty Sidewinder 2 FFB stick doing some research myself (and relying heavily on the info linked above). I'm finding it's a tradeoff between excessive cannon shake (throwing off your cannonfire aim) and still maintaining the point-of-stall shake that is so helpful/crucial for Spit and Hurri pilots in a turn 'n burn dogfight. Reduce cannon shake and the pre-stall shake likewise gets reduced. Arrgh.

It's a work in progress. Let me know if you come up with anything.

hi everybody. I have purchased the new Tobruk but I can´t play it right now, so I haven´t been able to test this, so Ihave a question:

¿Has been corrected this bug in the new Sands of Tobruk release?

Thanks for keeping alive this superb flight simulator

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

Hi all,

I am new to IL2 and COD, but have managed to acquire the MSFFB stick. I also seem to be having some problems with the stick sensitivities so I have downloaded the editor for FFB, and I see the help file is empty, does anyone know where I can get or have a help the file for this?

Thank you for all the great info too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinam View Post
    Hi all,

I am new to IL2 and COD, but have managed to acquire the MSFFB stick. I also seem to be having some problems with the stick sensitivities so I have downloaded the editor for FFB, and I see the help file is empty, does anyone know where I can get or have a help the file for this?

Hi Kevinam......and welcome to this fascinating flight sim of ours. I have the MSFFB stick, too. To be honest I'm not sure what you mean by the 'the editor' for the stick. I just connected it up and the game recognised it. You can adjust the sensitivities in game by selecting 'Options' - 'Controls' ..then selcting 'Axes' in 'Control Options.' When you select aeliron...rudder...or elevator in the command column you get a green slider bar, opposite 'Sensitivity....0% Dead Zone....100% Dead Zone. You can change the sensitivity of your stick by moving these variables, by means of the little circle in the empty bar on the left.

FYI my settings are:

Aeliron: Sensitivity 0.25,
    0% Dead Zone 0.00
    100% Dead Zone 0.25

Elevator: Sensitivity 0.30
    0% Dead Zone 0.00
    100% Dead Zone 0.30

Rudder Sensitivity 0.25
    0% Dead Zone 0.00
    100% Dead Zone 0.25

These sensitivity settings seem to work for me. No doubt I could tweak them a little more but they are good enough...and I'm too busy flying! Don't forget there is a wealth of information contained in the flashcards that accompany the sim. They can be found in game under 'Extras' in the main menu - Manuals - Aircraft. And take a look at the GUI.....getting Started and Trouble Shooting Guide, which is to be found in the same place.

Good luck! Hope this is of help......see you in the air! Salute!

16. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Slot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinam View Post
    Hi all,

There's plenty of info and links in this local thread. FFB has a few anomalies in Cliffs like where it stops working, these topics are covered.

I have pre edited ffb files still from playing IL2 1946, its the same system. A Google search will find old threads on these.

Daz

18. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.82 MB

Kevinam you are a happy owner of a joystick with force feedback.
    Here is how to configure the effects of it in COD:

In the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\parts\core\FF" folder you will find .ffe files that match the various force feedback effects that COD supports.

- autocannon.ffe: effect on gunfire
    - bomb.ffe: effect when dropping a bomb
    - machinegun.ffe: effect when firing machine gun
    - mortar.ffe: I do not know what this effect
    - punch.ffe: effect that manages the vibrations during taxiing (during take-off in particular)
    - shake.ffe: effect due to turbulence during stalling (as a function of the stall intensity) as well as when the flaps or the landing gear exit.
    - spring.ffe: stiffness effect of the handle linked to the air flows on the control surfaces (function of the speed of the airplane)

The software Fedit (right clic -> save linked target) allows to edit these files and modify lot of parameters (amplitude, frequency, etc ...)

fedit10.jpg

For my part, I have notably changed the effects of weapons as well as that of turbulence, I greatly reduced the effect of guns because on the 109 E3 / 4 I found the effect too strong.

Here is the files ffe that I use with my joystick Microsoft Force Feedback 2 (right clic -> save linked target)

Caution: When performing a "cache integrity check" in Steam, the .ffe files that have been modified are replaced with the default .ffe files.
    Do not forget to save your .ffe files if you like your settings.

20. Likes danperin, Dawson liked this post