Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bristol Beaufighter controls

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Re: Bristol Beaufighter controls

Hi Buzz,
    I used the limits from your 1F wiki checklist and added a little info from the original RAF 1C/1F manual (which was together), namely the emergency hydraulic (modified) and single-engine procedures.

My engine/boost settings are from experimenting in-game and not at all from the wiki or the original manual, if that makes sense. It's been butchered a bit, against maintenance orders, for my own enjoyment.

~S~
    Last edited by 69th_Zeb; Jan-09-2018 at 21:05.

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Thanks for this Zeb.

I've only flown the Beau a few times, but i will try her again, and this will come in handy.
    Looks great too!
    Very nicely done
    Last edited by farley; Jan-09-2018 at 21:57.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Just to post here that there doesn't seem to be a clickable button to turn the directional gyro (ie to set it after setting compass) so you need to have that bound (unless somebody has now found it).
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Great checklist, MB!

During the beta testing for TFS 4.5 I decided I would learn to operate & fly the Beaufighter as a personal project. It’s been rewarding and a ton of fun. Out of curiosity, I printed off the Pilots Notes for the Beaufighter 1F and was immensely gratified to find that, by and large, everything in the “owner’s manual” was in the sim as far as the effective operation was concerned. Clod is not a study sim, so not every detail is covered (yet) such as nav lights, landing lights, oxygen, etc etc....but: CANNON! FOUR OF ‘EM!!!! Oh, and SPEED !!!!

Good times.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

6. Likes ATAG_Vampire, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

Is fuel transfer only needed when operating on one engine? Zeb, your "quick and dirty" start up/takeoff doesn't say exactly there each engine is started?

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Murph View Post
    Is fuel transfer only needed when operating on one engine? Zeb, your "quick and dirty" start up/takeoff doesn't say exactly there each engine is started?
    Murph this is what the AP1721A - Pilots Notes for Beaufighter Mks 1C & 1F states with regard to the Fuel suction Balance Cock.

"Failure of one engine in flight

(i)......

(ii).....

(iii) When investigating the cause of the failure try the dead engine on its own alternative tank. If this does not succeed, try setting balance cock on with all tanks on failed side off; if the live engine then shows signs of lack of fuel, turn off balance cock immediately.
    The balance cock should only be left on if this proves to be the only means of getting the dead engine to run."

Of course this is for normal engine failure.

The check list before take off states "F-Fuel........Check contents of tanks and cock settings to 'INNER TANK ON balance cock OFF"

The TFS Wiki for the Beaufighter Mk 1F echoes this but does not mention the balance cock.

Hope this helps.

o7
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

9. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Murph View Post
    On number one, Vampire nailed it. I use the mention of Fuel #3 to trigger my mind to troubleshoot. Are any of my tanks punctured? Will there be a fuel inbalance if I don't? Will I make it home if I leave the leaking side draining the other? etc.

On second question regarding the start, I just made sure I select both when done:
    Engine Port: Select and Start (#1 or Left Hand)
    Engine Starboard: Select and Start, Select All (#2 or Right Hand engine, then select all)

@Snapper
    Yes, I think the best time I've had, other than blowing crap up with canons, was flying it per the 1c/1f's pilot's notes, then Buzz's to see how they modeled it (which couldn't have gone better, everything felt real). Split temps man. So cool.
    Baffin and Buzz had a good discussion on the beginner's guide post about the philosophies of checklists/training.

The 1c/1f is more of a subsystems manual than a checklist. Buzz's is the way to fly it right. Mine is just a group of items that trigger the things I want from pushing it or the brain candy I like to think about. Some of it too, like oil pressure rise on start, is good habit for me in the real world.

My former boss was a class 5p pilot during the war, which allowed him to fly everything in the Army Air Corps. He re-wrote a bunch of flight manuals for the Army, as some of the stuff engineering came up with, didn't necessarily match with the real world. In the desert air force book I read, pilots were running high boost with low RPMs (baaaad) to crank out more range during ferry flights. One guy wrote about going down because of it. Anyways, my boss always studied the aircraft meticulously, made his own checklists (with typewriter ha), sometimes emphasizing certain things more (gear down and welded, fuel), but more often leaving stuff out. They would have made crappy checklists for me. ha ...because they were personalized per se.

Cheers.

11. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    141.46 MB

[QUOTE=TWC_Sp00k;300147]My Start up sequence.

11. Wait 10 seconds. (Exactly 10 seconds, not a second less, not a second more)

I feel bad that this made since to me however... thank you Sp00k I ended up unticking the ' spawn parked' box and all was well. I wanted to start in hanger and learned a lot playing with the FMB. I think I'm gonna enjoy this ride

Also enjoy all the comments here

Cheers

BB jock

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    141.46 MB

I am learning this new mod..I can start in hanger with box ticked parked. I just didn't know how to start this mod is much more realistic in that dept..my bad thanks for help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Not sure what box marked parked is mate, but if your talking about starting the Beaufighter, remember to start one engine at a time. Once one is running,, then you can start the other one. Both must be warmed up before you start to roll
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    141.46 MB

Once I have left engtrning over with throttle at 12% I start the right eng. Once the oil temp both mills tick up a bit towards 20 degrees temp, I know I'm good to throttle up and begin taxi. Sp00k I am referring to a mission I built in FMB. With a waypoint activated I then go to View-Object Browsing and in 'Group Properties" towards bottom of drop down is 'Spawn Parked'. Now I am in a hanger ready for a cold start and taxi to runway. That's what I meant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Ahh no worries,. I probably cant help you then. I lick windows when people start talking about the FMB Good luck with it, hopefully help will follow soon.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    141.46 MB

Actually you were a big help and so was Lucky)(awk whilst flying on a server with him. 'Throttles at 12%' he says,, and voila it woiked. Actually it all me. I did not know how much more realistic the engine starts and warmups are in the new V4.50.

I will wing up if I see you up in the blue..

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    202.62 MB

The Beau's carburettor heat would mainly be used on landing approach when you haven't got much power on. It's to counteract the tendency of the carb to ice up due to the latent heat of evaporation of petrol combined with the manifold pressure or something. Don't blame me for not being able to explain it properly, I fell asleep in both physics lessons and ground school

Without it the carb can sort of generate it's own ice, maybe enough to make the engine lose power, possibly making you go splat. When it is on the engine will run a little rougher and make a little less power because engines like cold air best.
    When I was flying ancient and crappy Cessna's part of our go around checklist was to make sure we'd deselected the previously applied carb heat, just to make sure we were getting every last tiny horse that the anaemic Lycoming was trying to give us. Maybe you would also use it in icing conditions ? I don't know, they wouldn't let me anywhere near a cloud, let alone one with ice in it - but it was always on for approach and landing.

Maybe carb icing is modelled in the sim ? or maybe it's there just to complete a checklist item in the Beau ?

But back to the Beau itself - is there a way to hide the yoke ? even with head tracking it can be a bit awkward to look around it to get a view of all the bells and whistles on the dashboard...

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

No way to hide the yoke, but if you enable the mouse (Controls/Keys Tab/Camera Category(drop down)/Toggle Independent Mode) you can roll it over the gauges for a readout. I agree though, would be nice to lean forward a touch more to see engine oil temps over the yoke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    818.69 MB

A couple of questions:
    Can you set a separate binding for cannons and machine guns or do they always fire together?
    When shutting down engines turning fuel cocks off has no effect.....turning magnetos off works
    There's something good waitin' down this road
    I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
    "Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

they both fire the same time, don't know what the real one did
    and yes turning off the fuel has no effect, don't know why ?????

Asus Z390 MB, 32 GB Corsair RAM, 850 W Power Supply, Intel Core i7 9700K GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8 G and about a dozen squirrels running on a wheel that I sometimes forget to feed !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Birdtail View Post
    A couple of questions:
    When shutting down engines turning fuel cocks off has no effect.....turning magnetos off works
    You need to turn the 3rd fuel cock too if I recall.

Daz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    818.69 MB

Thanks for the info guys...........I'm going out in minutes to see if I can turn some German bombers into wingless projectiles. Will also try the 3rd transfer fuel cock procedure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

It is historicall correct that all cannons and guns fire all together.

On the left side of a cockpit, pretty far back is a green push, button. This will stop the engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    It is historicall correct that all cannons and guns fire all together.

On the left side of a cockpit, pretty far back is a green push, button. This will stop the engines.
    Why the hell is it green?

Everyone knows that means go.

Stupid brits......

Still.... in our defence at least we drive on the right side of the road.
    Unlike some other countries who drive on the right.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

26. Likes Marcost, ATAG_Slot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

On this aircraft I can't find the levers to open the doors of the Batman bat-cave and the ones to activate the warp speed...Looking at the in-flight performances I'm pretty sure that they must be hidden somewhere but...Where the heck are they located in the cockpit ???!!!
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jul-06-2020 at 19:10.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post

Still.... in our defence at least we drive on the right side of the road.
    Unlike some other countries who drive on the right.
    Not according to the new DCS Channel map

29. Likes ATAG_Highseas, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Why the hell is it green?

Everyone knows that means go.
    Because it turns on, the turning off-mode.
    Perfectly logical!

31. Likes ATAG_Highseas, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Because it turns on, the turning off-mode.
    Perfectly logical!
    Haha!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

I am possibly going to regret this, but...

Bristol aircraft being made by Bristol it would surely mean that a green control would be for the starboard 'whatever' - in this case the carb cut-out. There should therefore be a similar red control for the port carb cut-out or am I wrong?

Bristol were quite particular with their port/starboard cockpit control colourings and 'handedness' of controls, i.e. left control for left engine, right control for right engine type thing and port/starboard colouring for those that weren't sure !?!

Also, I think IRL it was a pull type switch and not a push - it makes no difference to a clickable cockpit... but historically... just thinking out loud!

I will now crawl back under my stone for a bit, cheers guys.

~S~
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

34. Likes ATAG_Highseas, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Bristol aircraft being made by Bristol it would surely mean that a green control would be for the starboard 'whatever' - in this case the carb cut-out. There should therefore be a similar red control for the port carb cut-out or am I wrong?

Bristol were quite particular with their port/starboard cockpit control colourings and 'handedness' of controls, i.e. left control for left engine, right control for right engine type thing and port/starboard colouring for those that weren't sure !?!

Also, I think IRL it was a pull type switch and not a push - it makes no difference to a clickable cockpit... but historically... just thinking out loud!

~S~
    I have no idea myself......

but:

The logic doesn't sound overly illogically unlogical.

Live long and pester

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

36. Likes Marcost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

~S~
    You are right, I left this out. There is a right and a left button, one green, one red. They stop left and right engines, which all have the same colour. So if you left the right engine on you still can shut it down with the green button to the right, right?

38. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    818.69 MB

Ok, the fuel cock 3 transfer works...must be off to shut fuel cock 1 and 2 off. Looked but could not find the green or red carb cut out switches....could be old guy eyes.
    Another question.....ground handling/taxing in the Beau, Blennie and JU88 with one engine is impossible. In the 88 you can kind of creep along with tailwheel locked, full rudder, various prop pitch settings and dancing on the brakes...... but the British twin engines just go around in circles no matter what you try. Is this a bug or just the way it was?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Historically Red/Port/Left button stops the Left engine and Green/Starboard/Right button shuts down the Right engine. I am assuming the game Beaufighter, since it is a TFS cockpit, is historically accurate.

From AP1721A Beaufighter MkIC and IF.JPG

The above is from Pilots Notes AP1721A Beaufighter Mk IC and IF and below a nice picture from the internet.

Beaufighter.jpg

Hope this helps with locating them.

~S~
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

41. Likes DerDa, TWC_Padre, ATAG_Flare liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12