Thread: Extra bling n things for the Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Extra bling n things for the Blitz

Hey all, there are a lot of little things that aren't necessary for CoD and our new Blitz, but since we have this amazing upgrade to our favorite sim, thought I'd ask if there are little things that people use with the sim that they feel adds to the immersion.

An example would be the Radio FX plugin for TeamSpeak. Certainly not needed, but i feel that it adds to the immersion of the game, as does the TSNotifier (Sorry Lew - I know it's not working for you).

The throttle quadrant and trim wheel i also like.

The way i have peripherals set up now it makes it hard for me to reach the keyboard, so not long ago i purchased the Logitech G13 gamepad, and really like it. I know there are other gamepads out there, but this seemed like a good product for the money.

It gives you 3 times 25 keys, so 75 keys you can bind to, plus a small joystick, that i don't use (Ok, i use it a fair bit because when i push down on it, my canopy opens and i bail out - it takes a firm push so am not going to bail by accident).
    It's really easy to set up macro's so for example if you want to do tab - 7 - 1 to look for bogeys, you can set it up so it's only one key press. You could bind a whole engine start up to one key if you wanted to. And believe me, if i can set up those sorts of things, then a five year old can do it!

It can also be used to set up commands for video editing and such.

It has a small LCD screen that i use to monitor computer temps and core usage.

So quite happy with it, and considering that many of the sims now require a lot of key usage due to their clickable cockpits, I think it's going to come in handy over the years.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/prod...featuresAnchor

Anyhow, I am not here to push a product, and i know that there are a lot of threads for joysticks etc, but thought maybe this would be a good place to suggest ideas or products that others might use, esp the newer fliers who are not aware of these "extras".

There might be a few out there who plan on taking back the tie, or who were given gift cards, that might be looking for ideas.

So feel free to add suggestions that will help us all enjoy Blitz to the fullest!
    Last edited by farley; Dec-25-2017 at 08:39.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

2. Likes ATAG_Septic, ATAG_Freya, BOO, ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Extra bling n things for the Blitz

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    ... and considering that many of the sims now require a lot of key usage due to their clickable cockpits,
    Clickable cockpit are there not because are 'realistic", but to add practicality and avoid need map/remember ~"300+" keys commands (e.g. Falcon 4.0).

Hence don't make sense try map/remember all keystrokes possible, but only the really needed in combat, for start-up (in games that require more than press I or E), stop engine, some cruise adjust.. click in controls. To not say about totally unnecessary commands, e.g. DCSW has a key command for... show labels over missiles. How in the Earth someone need this?

4. Likes farley liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I couldnt live without my 8" TFT screen. I bought it for VC but its was rubbish so I turned it flat to rest my coffee on. Saves a lot of bending
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

6. Likes farley liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

I love my G-13.

It is my choice for tailgunnery. I have the thumbstick set to mouse for running my gun. Index and ring finger rotate the turret, middle fires...reload if I move it one button up. My other hand is always hands-on the flight controls.

I have the lower buttons set for pilot, bombardier, and gunner respectively.

Another key is set to map. Everything else is on my throttle quadrant, otherwise it gets unwieldly.

Going into the gunner's position and Tab 7-1 are my only macros. Everything else is a straight keyboard binding.

Also, for engine warmup, range, and navigation, I use the built-in stopwatches, which are really good in any light conditions.

Superduper.

And no, I don't use macros for calling in bomber raids or other tomfoolery...don't know how actually.

8. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    495 Bytes

VoiceAttack

Couldn't live without it!

10. Likes farley, QB.Creep, SIA_Sp00k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Zeb View Post
    I love my G-13.

It is my choice for tailgunnery. I have the thumbstick set to mouse for running my gun. Index and ring finger rotate the turret, middle fires...reload if I move it one button up. My other hand is always hands-on the flight controls.

I have the lower buttons set for pilot, bombardier, and gunner respectively.

Another key is set to map. Everything else is on my throttle quadrant, otherwise it gets unwieldly.

Going into the gunner's position and Tab 7-1 are my only macros. Everything else is a straight keyboard binding.

Also, for engine warmup, range, and navigation, I use the built-in stopwatches, which are really good in any light conditions.

Superduper.

And no, I don't use macros for calling in bomber raids or other tomfoolery...don't know how actually.
    Thanks for this Zeb, I am hoping to fly bombers in the future, if i find the time, and so this is very helpful. Sounds like a great setup.

12. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    VoiceAttack

Rimmer. i have this set up as well, but for some reason have not been firing it up lately.

To those not familiar with this program, basically you attach a voice command to a key, or series of key presses, so that saying that word, activates the key or macro.

For example, I was using it a lot to say "JUMP!" which would open the canopy and bail me out of my dead or dying plane.

Also used it for finding "home plate", rearming and refueling, finding bogeys, etc.

I did not use more than twenty settings, and so did not pay for it, but i might do so in the future, which would allow me to use it in more than CoD.

I find it to work very well, and it seems to capture the voice commands very easily, so not difficuilt or frustrating to use at all.

Highly recommend it:

https://voiceattack.com/
    Last edited by farley; Dec-26-2017 at 08:41.

14. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Thanks for this Zeb, I am hoping to fly bombers in the future, if i find the time, and so this is very helpful. Sounds like a great setup.
    Hey I'm always up for formation flights no matter what the experience. The voice attack app sounds great. I'll have to look into it.

-Z

16. Likes farley liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    VoiceAttack

I believe there is one pilot around these parts whos macro'd Jettison Canopy and Bail out to the English vernacular for the abbreviation F, F and S........

Personally talking to a pixel plane is just about over the level of looking daft that I'm prepared to rise to for gaming curently...plus it never understood me.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

18. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Cable ties, you've got to have cable ties for the chair.

True story, got bounced by a 110 and kicked the left rudder so hard the chair came apart and I fell down. Can't fly now without spare cable ties...

Essential old piece of cardboard box...

Got to sit in the same place every time!

Bling! My metal VKB trigger...

I carried it around with me for days and days... playing little games. like not looking at it for a whole day and then... looking at it. to see if I still like it. (I DO!!!)

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

20. Likes 69th_Zeb, PreyStalker, MezzA, farley, ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Wheel stand pro

Perfect for Stick,throttle and keyboard mounting without building a sim pit!

+1 for voice attack
    TF-Link for virtual cockpits also a must.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

22. Likes farley liked this post