Thread: How does one turn off and on an engine in flight ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

How does one turn off and on an engine in flight ?

Hi,
    When in flight,
    Control T is slow running cutout but doesnt seem to turn engine off in flight, and I tried that in a Spitfire as I know it has a slow running cutout on the right of frame 8 just below the inst panel.
    What is used on the Me109E and also the bombers to turn off the engine ?
    namely Ju88A and Do17Z

I presume one can use Shift 1 to select #1 engine and Shift 2 to select #2 engine as per default key controls that are saying this, then apply the turn off command whatever it may be.

What is then the command line to allocate a key to, unless it already has one, to turn on an engine ?

I cant seem to find a command line for turning on engine.

Cheers

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Re: How does one turn off and on an engine in flight ?

Turn engine off in flight...Turn off fuel

Turn engine on in flight...Turn on fuel and dive with prop in coarse pitch...and hope you have enough height and speed that it forces the prop to start the engine back up again...

Not sure how many different aircraft this works with...You need to try it...

Not sure why you want to stop the engine in flight?...better to take a tad more fuel...or if you want the fuel to last longer then throttle back and prop back...and you can then reduce the rads as the engine is only idling at that point...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

3. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

In single engine plane:

Option 1 - cut off the fuel.

Option 2 - cut off the magnetos (is their real use in the game, in engine start they are placebos).

Use the "Slow Running Cut-Out" in flight will work but the propeller windmill start the engine again it fuel and current is available.

In twin engine planes cut the fuel is not option, the tanks is interconnected, so use the magnetos switches.

A "It's CloD!": G-50 has not "Fuel cock" modeled, and their magneto rotary switch is bugged for mouse click, the only practical way to turn off
    their engine is using keys/buttons for "Select Previous Magneto" - BTW - This require different keys that for "Toggle Magnetos" used in Spitfire for example.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Dec-31-2017 at 16:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

In British twin engine the fuel tanks aren't connected unless you open the third fuel cock for cross flow?
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post

Turn engine on in flight...Turn on fuel and dive with prop in coarse pitch...and hope you have enough height and speed that it forces the prop to start the engine back up again...

Not sure why you want to stop the engine in flight?...better to take a tad more fuel...or if you want the fuel to last longer then throttle back and prop back...and you can then reduce the rads as the engine is only idling at that point...
    When running short of petrol while crossing the channel for England, I'll secure the engine (altitude permitting) with the fuel shutoff and later restart it for landing. It's good gliding practice and feels real good when it restarts!

This is an accepted practice in multi engine airplanes when an engine must be shut down as a precaution. For example, shut down due to low (Not zero) oil pressure.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-02-2018 at 09:28.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

7. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

To turn on the engine in flight, open the cockpit, get off the plane, go to the engine and spin the starter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    To turn on the engine in flight, open the cockpit, get off the plane, go to the engine and spin the starter.
    I can't seem to get the starter handle to come off the door.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBouff View Post
    In British twin engine the fuel tanks aren't connected unless you open the third fuel cock for cross flow?
    I seem to remember Vamps menitioning this to me once... but then I kinda forgot straight away.

Im not really sure which tanks (inner / outer) are supposed to be used for what as it goes.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I did a test with Beaufighter with ~55% of fuel.

This give full Inner tanks and some gallons in Outer tanks.

I select Outer tanks and keep flying, before Outer tanks fuel end, right engine (#2) lower RPM, keeping ~1800 - not sure if engine stop or not.

Then I turn one the "balancing" lever (fuel cock #3) and engine 2 go full power.

Starboard tanks emptied first, but both engines keep running OK and when their fuel finish engines keep running, but fuel from Inner tanks became be consumed.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.76 MB

Switching off the engine is also part of the emergency landing procedures: turn off the engine to minimize risk of blow-ups/fires upon landing off-field with a damaged airplane. Not sure how well this is modeled in IL-2 COD, but seems to work for me; I have managed a few successful landings (i.e. walk away from it) that way. The correct procedure is to both close the fuel flow and turn off the magnetos. The fuel flow must be interrupted to avoid feeding the fire even more. The magnetos being off reduces the amount of sparks.
    Far from a sure thing, since there may be fuel leaks, sparks due to friction, etc., but it might help survival chances.
    Last edited by uranor; Jan-02-2018 at 16:35.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi,
    I have set keys as follows:-
    Fuel cock #1 Toggle 1F
    Fuel cock #2 Toggle 2F
    magneto #1 Toggle 1M
    magneto #2 Toggle 2M
    Propeller Pitch decrease D P
    Propeller Pitch Increase I P

In the spit, start in the sky, 1M flicks mag switch down, 2M flips second mag switch down, engine stops, prop still a blur, IP to place blade face as near to feathered as is poss, the normal position for a dead engine. To start the engine again I turn on mags then apply DP but not fully else prop face is straight at direction of travel and wind wont windmill it much.

Have I got the pitch procedure right ?

In the Me109E I go 1M then 2M but engine still runs. I try for 1F and nothing changes, then try 2F and nothing changes. How do I turn off engine in Me109E ?

What is the key setup and procedure for e.g Ju88 A ?

I saw mag#1 for engine #1 mag #2 for engine#1 mag #1 for engine #2 mag#2 for engine #2

allocating a pair of keys to this lot would be a mental challenge

What keys are you using for magnetos for twin engine ?

Cheers

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    171.6 KB

Good problem for the first day of the year!
    I follow your procedure: select engin , if the case, switch off dinamo and cut fuel. The height with the appropriate pitch,will help for the opposite.
    By the way, I would like to ask for advice for the following issues:
    - how can

I sit on the chair of the gunner (i.e. in a Me 110) and operate the Gun?
    -how can I enter in the talk (using Time Speak) in Danger Dogz? The problem is that if I write on the appropiate (if) window the name of the server as suggested on screen, it does not work. Where do I mistake?
    Thanks a lot for the help.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.35 MB

I have an issue with inability to restart Bf-110 engine (or any which has been feathered) for full secure and restart evolution.

The process to secure is:
    Flight with sufficient height for glide
    Fuel shut off
    Propeller manual (if automatic)
    Propeller maximum pitch/feather
    Magnetos off (optional)

I see "Engine: Off" status message in blue. RPM is zero or minimal.

To bring engine online again:
    Magnetos on (if off)
    Propeller minimum pitch
    Fuel open

The RPM is much more than idle (1000-1500). There is fuel, spark, and air. The engine is not starting.

But if I press the button which normally starts the engine with the inertial starter/hand crank the engine immediately recovers. Why is running the starter necessary for a mid-air restart?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ilario38 View Post
    - how can
    I sit on the chair of the gunner (i.e. in a Me 110) and operate the Gun?
    Press the commands in sequence:

"Next manned position" (change cockpit/turret) - Default key is C.
    "Toggle parked position" (of turret) - Don't remember what key, look in controls Turret if are key assigned, if not assign.
    "Toggle Independent mode" (OFF) - Default key F10, this disable click over cockpit and make mouse move camera.
    "Lean to Gunsight" - Default keys Shift+F1 for aim.

"Fire current gun" (MG) = Mouse Left, but first go to Controls > Camera and remove Mouse Left from "Hold to Offset Camera" - that is in fact the command "Hold to Zoom Camera", command that don't have practical use.

If you don't do this are not able to fire and correct aim, because mouse left are simultaneous pressing the "Hold to Zoom Camera" and prevents mouse movement, besides that gunner/bombardier cockpit are not in 6DOF ( you can't lean or move back and forth camera there).

Now another "It's CLoD" - Online when you change back for Bf 110 pilot cockpit, AI gunner remain "sleeping" and don't control this turret anymore.

You need do a cumbersome "juggling" for "wake-up" AI gunner.

Press Alt+F2 (that command used by some player for air abandon when things became hot in their six), you go back to Server Lobby, there you select your Bf 110 plane again - will notice that your calsign are in two places of this plane, this re-section fix this.

Same juggling is need for Ju-87 Stuka, for other bombers just return for pilot cockpit passing trough bombardier position: Gunner > Bombardier > Pilot, you remain in Bombardier position, but this don't have "collateral effect".

BTW - In Blenheim IV Late is need turn on Gunsight light in pilot cockpit before go to gunner cockpit.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-09-2018 at 11:09.