Thread: Another old flyer returns!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    315.48 MB

Another old flyer returns!

Good day chaps, Trooper here
    I've just returned to CoD after a long absence, and now with the new patch from TF I've decided to get stuck in again...

My bit of IL2 history... I bought the original IL2 when it came out, I even still have the demo version tucked away somewhere, lol!
    I have bought literally everything the Maddox team brought out and played it to death for several years, joined an online Sqn, (EAF 19 Sqn) and played many of the online wars etc...
    Loved that time and spent many hours on hyperlobby etc... great times!

I could never get CoD to work properly after it had come out so eventually I shelved it as real life and working abroad put paid to my little hobby.

However, with more time on my hands now I have decided to get back into CoD so I am back to being a newbie

I have spent time in RoF, WoFF, and BoS in times past, so I still have an idea that I can fly somewhat, lol!

I'm currently getting my controls sorted, but would love someone who could point me in the right direction to explaining exactly what I should set my deadzones and throttle settings to as I haven't a clue at the moment.
    I'm finding odd threads and videos, but they aren't concise enough for my poor old brain cells to take in... (yes, it's my age)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet again... (those Channel waters are very cold... I suspect I'll end up in the briny shortly)

Good to chat... Bung Ho chaps!

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Re: Another old flyer returns!

Hello Trooper, welcome to the ATAG forum and to 'IL2 Dover' as CloD is now called.

We have a community that is second to none and like yourself lots of new pilots joining the ranks which is really great.

Like all sims this one has its 'peculiarities' and the learning curve is steep. However, with your CFS background it shouldn't be too difficult.

If you haven't already, have a look at the 'Beginners Guide' on the main page of this forum and keep yours eyes peeled for the welcome post from my good friend ATAG_Lewis. Both are packed with helpful tips and info.

Best advice is that when you are ready go online jump into the ATAG Teams Speak channels and look to wing up with other pilots. This will give you the chance to ask questions reference the sim/rig setup etc. no one will mind as all are ready to help and advise.

As for setting up your control axes go into game Options>Controls>Axes. There you will see the 'Assignment List' and sliders. Sensitivity/Dead zones can be set in there. These are a personal preference thing so a bit of trial and error is involved.

SO! Welcome to the party. If you are about tomorrow evening about 21:00hrs UK time (Wednesday) you will no doubt see me and some of the chaps I fly regularly with on the main ATAG servers. Come and join us and get some 'Feet Wet' practice with us.

o7
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper117 View Post
    I'm currently getting my controls sorted, but would love someone who could point me in the right direction to explaining exactly what I should set my deadzones and throttle settings to as I haven't a clue at the moment.
    You need set deadzones if your joystick are acting bad, if not leave this in 0 - sliders for left.

What you can adjust is "Sensitivity" that could be better called "Axis response attenuation", control GUI is misleading because are used decimal fraction and the window is not able to show all number (another of CloD "small issue" that you need get used).

Slider for left is 100.00% - the window show only 0.00 - for right is 1%.

100% = joy input is equals to output (1:1) control for game, more responsive control, but maybe a more nervous flight.

1% = joy input is send for game "dampened" (1:~0.8...) from center to ~50% of movement, increasing until became 1:1 in the end of movement.

Throttle has two extra adjust 0 and 100% Position, but not too useful due another unfinished feature (the "Throttle War Emergency Power").

The idea is that ~98% of joy throttle axis input became 100% for game, so the remaining ~10% could be used to active "Throttle War Emergency Power" what will mimic the real "WEP" operation in BF 109* - but this don't work in CLOD (despite the options in the command), because was need move the below throttle axis "Throttle War Emergency Power" for another TAB, to be able use the same joy axis for both functions.

* Like is in Bo'X Bf 109 and some other planes, the 'WEP" is controlled by throttle axis and not by a gamey non-existent in real plane WEP switch/button a la IL-2'46.

So leave this (throttle) 100% Position slider all for right.

Same for 0% Position - this can be used for throttle with programming software for make the throttle initial movement trigger a macro for start engine - what is CLOD is "set throttle 10%, open Fuel Cock and press 'i'".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-02-2018 at 10:08.

4. Likes ATAG_Septic, 69th_Zeb, ATAG_Torian liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

Hi Trooper and welcome, EAF still fly although most of us fly BOS, there still a few of us fly Cliffs , EAF forums still up and so is the TS, drop in sometime for a chat, think Swoop still flys now and again
    Target 4 'o' clock low

6. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Hi Trooper...

I use all default sensitivity's in CLOD....I dont know what stick you have but messing with sensitivity's when you are new to the sim doesn't sound like a good idea to me...Most folks run default and sensitivity's are usually done for fine tuning when you've mastered how to fly and become aware with the experience that some tweaking could be done...I think I'd leave those things alone until I was a competent pilot ingame...

Where in Staffs are you?...I was born in Hanley...and lived in Weston as a kid..

...Lew...

Welcome to the Community and Forums Trooper117...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve too...

Beginners Guide

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums you might want to bag for future reference...

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact spotting is massively important in any flight sim...Seeing that enemy before he sees you is a race you don't want to be second in...Check this link to see if you can tweak your rig any better...

Contact Spotting Test

Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

A must read for all CLOD enthusiasts is the recent news that has the whole community buzzing very heavily...

TeamFusion News

And finally...Please take the time to have a read of some of the stories of military family adventures by a few of the members of this forum...and maybe share yours with us...~S~

A Tribute to Those Who Served

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

===================================

Any UK members please let us know where abouts in the UK you are...Just for reference...Its always good to know just incase there happen to be folks who can help you or you can help locally...buy a joystick from or even just a chat in a pub with someone who is likeminded...

UK Based Player Location thread

Thanks...~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

It’s good to see you back, Troop.

I just use the default settings for Spits, Hurries, and the new Beaufighter. Looking foward to seeing you online once again!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

1lokos, in regards to your comment "What you can adjust is "Sensitivity" that could be better called "Axis response attenuation", i think i will use that bit with my gf when she is being, what i think is overly sensitive about an issue.

How's this sound? "Well it seems to me that, at this moment, your axis response attenuation is greater than warranted regarding the issue at hand"......

My guess is that she will appreciate my noticing her angst, and it will soothe her heightened emotional state almost instantaneously......

And we will go on to have a wonderful, calm day.... and a great 2018!

Wish me luck!

1lokos I enjoy reading your responses and have learned a lot from your replies, if only i could remember the information...... need to start writing some of this stuff down.
    Last edited by farley; Jan-02-2018 at 10:52.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

@Farley...

What are you doing Man!....Why are you trying to figure her out?...You know you'll never do it MAN!...You must have seen the 'Hot Crazy Matrix' haven't you?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

11. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    @Farley...

What are you doing Man!....Why are you trying to figure her out?...You know you'll never do it MAN!...You must have seen the 'Hot Crazy Matrix' haven't you?

What can i say to that Lew?

I don't quite agree with all of it, but.....

(I'm so brave when no one is home.....)

Thanks for the laugh

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    315.48 MB

Thanks for the replies gents.... I'm still trying to find the answers to why my Warthog is still leaving my aircraft very twitchy, something just doesn't feel right about it
    That's why I was asking for a detailed information on what all the axis settings actually do, I'll persevere though and see how it goes...

I'm also finding that I don't always get a response to things even though I have them mapped in the controls... sometimes things work and sometimes they don't, very confusing, lol!

Where in Staffs are you?...I was born in Hanley...and lived in Weston as a kid..

...Lew...
    Lew, I'm in Cannock Wood, a little village by 'Castle Ring', not far from Cannock itself and Rugeley...

14. Likes QB.Creep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

EDIT: Oops - never mind. Got this mixed up with another thread.
    Problem with trying to do ten things at once.......
    Last edited by farley; Jan-02-2018 at 14:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I run with 0.25 senstivity on elavators and ailerons and 1.00 on rudder

less than 0.75 on rudder and its so twitchey it's just impossible

but..... whatever you get used to is kinda wise.

0.00 on throttle as i want that without any dampoing on ! obviously !!

I'd recommend it as a trial at the very least.
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jan-02-2018 at 14:25.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Lew, I'm in Cannock Wood, a little village by 'Castle Ring', not far from Cannock itself and Rugeley...
    Spent many a happy hour in Cannock...Cannock chase with the dogs...My cousin use to live at the end of Wood lane in 'Wedges mills'...so we were there every Christmas and in the summers...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jan-02-2018 at 15:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hi Trooper, and welcome to our community buddy.

Highseas has beaten me to it with regard to giving you those settings, although I have my rudder set at 0.75

Oddly, the further the slider is to the right, the less "sensitive" the control becomes.

I am hoping to be on with Vampire and maybe a few other regulars from around 21:00 tomorrow night, and as Vamps said in his post above, you are more than welcome to join us.

Just look out for us on Teamspeak

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Thanks for the replies gents.... I'm still trying to find the answers to why my Warthog is still leaving my aircraft very twitchy, something just doesn't feel right about it
    That's why I was asking for a detailed information on what all the axis settings actually do, I'll persevere though and see how it goes...
    If you are using a Warthog, I would suggest using the TARGET software to set up curves on your elevator and aileron axes. I have set my curve value to "2" and a center deadzone of "2" in the TARGET software. Here is a video that shows how to set up a TARGET profile to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVyVlzVn4gU

Then, in the controls menu within CLOD, I set the sensitivity and dead zones to 0.

I would also strongly suggest getting a stick extension like this one if your setup allows for it, as the Warthog does tend to be very stiff which makes fine movements difficult: http://mfg.simundza.com/blog/new-pro...og-extensions/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    315.48 MB

Thanks for the further replies chaps... I have set my throttle to the example that 1lokos has provided (cheers mate) and that seems to have helped a lot.
    I've returned my other axis to the default settings as suggested, but will have a little mess around with them with the info you all have given me...

I have already been up and about testing things out though

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trooper117; Jan-03-2018 at 07:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Goggles on, Chocks away, Last one back's a Homo! Hooray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UlaAHdcRMg

22. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Welcome Trooper.

No better place in the world to hang out with like minded people.

It's the best

Pattle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Trooper.. O seen where you said sometimes your controls work and sometimes they don't. Make sure you don't have Animorphic ( spelling) controls checked in your video options. It should be " unchecked"
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    315.48 MB

Thanks Ribbs... yes, I have that setting unchecked
    Since I made that statement about my controls they seem to be performing ok now (typical, lol!)

26. Likes farley liked this post