Thread: List / examples of basic maneuvers?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.73 MB

List / examples of basic maneuvers?

I am really new. I am practicing gunnery as RAF is SP mission 'intercept bombers headed for channel convoy'. I head for them, gain altitude, turn on gunsight, set throttle to 100, prop to ~ 85 and rad to ~ 70. When I am near then I invert and dive towards by pulling up. I get some shhots as i close but I am faster so i overshoot.

What is a basic manuever to get back on their six in this cases. I have been banking right and then back left to get behind them. I am pretty sure this isn't standard?

I would love to see some training stuff on basic maneuvers.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Re: List / examples of basic maneuvers?

Hoss_ter every situation calls for different maneuvers so there will be no set standard move to get you back in position. You should look up basic ACM and read how to do the maneuvers and apply the correct one to your situation. You can go to youtube and get more information but i suggest you look at Requiem's Videos which is a fine source of combat situational maneuvers. Don't be concerned that they were done in rise of flight with ww1 planes the maneuvers are the same only the speed at which they take place is faster not the maneuver itself it is exactly the same.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBA0...EA870F2B613A5C
    Last edited by TWC_Fatal_Error; Jan-02-2018 at 23:18.
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

You also want to read "In Pursuit" by John Kylander. Free .pdf version here worth printing out.

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/.../inpursuit.pdf

John wrote this using WW2Online aircraft (now Battleground Europe). Its a great read and full of highly applicable information for the online combat sim pilot re ACM and other stuff. Its written in "gamer" speak so easy to understand.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

4. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, hoss_ster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

Think energy conservation all the time.
    Banking level bleeds energy, if you use the vertical plane you store up energy (in height) getting up there, you get some of it back when you come down. Climb instead of turning.

6. Likes No.119_Bruv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Hi hoss_ter

Good to see you sticking with it.

Just to add to the great advice above, the fastest way to learn is online on comms flying with a wingman that is experienced. You learn so much faster.
    Just like it probably was in RL when new pilots ended up on the front line.

Probably the single biggest mistake we all make when 'new' is to spot a target and just engage it regardless.
    Your online target is always going to be trying to set you up and an easy target can just as easily be a trap. Knowing when to press on with an attack or extend a bit to gain some speed or alt adv takes a bit of time.

Flying with a wingy or 2 will give you a better understanding of how to engage 'at an advantage'.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Crashing is the most basic maneuver and the most used by me. Fits almost any situation

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I like that "check six" one.

Though i have a long way to go before I master it.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    843.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Crashing is the most basic maneuver and the most used by me. Fits almost any situation
    quite by accident i found a new game, whilst in my hurricane i was diving away from a 109 who quite by chance helped my aircraft shed weight by blowing holes in it, i lost both my wings by going to fast in the dive
    echo_fives when flying online

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

The book stuff is still very important. The fact the average American pilot in WWII had many hour of classroom study as well as flight hours made a big difference. By about late 1942, the training of German pilots had been cut to the point that newcomers had an incredibly high attrition rate.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.73 MB

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I'll check out the pdf book. I'll watch the youtube videos.

Right now i am trying to follow the gunnery program for beginners from GloriusRuse. I am still on level 0 ...

Once i get further in that i will hit the multiplayer servers and with AIs and ask to be the wingman of a wise elder ...

Thanks again!

John

13. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

There's one basic rule:
    If you are not sure you will win or be able to escape, avoid the fight.

But since this is a game and is easier to re-spawn than resurrect in real life, you can ignore it