Thread: How to modify the RCU file in Blitz

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

How to modify the RCU file in Blitz

OK, hope I did enough research. I could not find any info on any change in the process to modify the RCU file in Blitz.

What I tried currently was to copy my previous RCU file ( which I had modified previously in the TF Mod prog, so as to be able to change the information and dot distances in the course of flying a mission...). I copied that modified file ( RCU ) into Blitz, same folder, etc. No luck. Any one have this figured out?

While I'm at it, anyone know if there are modifications to any of the other files, such as the .ini files, which might add features to the basic Blitz game?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: How to modify the RCU file in Blitz

Ardu

Blitz is the same "old" CloD, rcu file work in the same way, I already test the 'mpdotrange' done in 4.312 and work OK, including create a "toggle icon" with XPadder.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ead.php?t=5185

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Ardu

Blitz is the same "old" CloD, rcu file work in the same way, I already test the 'mpdotrange' done in 4.312 and work OK, including create a "toggle icon" with XPadder.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ead.php?t=5185
    Thanks, I know you are correct. ( You talked me through this process originally with CLOD MOD. {Some folks are quick learners, I'm a quick forgetter...} )

Figured out part of the problem. I forgot to create the additional file: icon.rcu
    So, I made the correction; I created the file. I now have the following two files:
    rcu:
    @set fast off
    @set echo on
    @set alias on
    @set history 20

@alias a alias
    @a h history
    @a s show

@file icon.rcu
    @a y mp_dotrange TYPE .01 ID 12.0 RANGE .01 COLOR 0.2 DOT 35
    @a n mp_dotrange TYPE .01 ID .01 RANGE .01 COLOR .7 DOT 40
    timeout 60000 file icon.rcu

icon.rcu:
    mp_dotrange TYPE .01 ID 12.0 RANGE .01 COLOR 0.2 DOT 35

So now I have one of the dot range settings but can't switch to other range setting in the game if I need to. Don't know where I messed up?
    If I didn't mess up the text in these files, is the problem created by where I loaded the files? Should the files be loaded in the Documents, IC.... sub folder or in that same folder in the Steam sub folders? I believe I read somewhere that the documents 1C.... folder takes a precedence over changes Steam makes or tries to makes. But I am not certain. And is there a problem if the files are located in both places?

Thanks for your help and especially, your patience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

You should edit files only in Documents\1C... folder, in SteamApps\Common\il2... files are backup and should remain originals, the game don't use then unless you delete ones in Documents\1C... folder, when a new copy is made for Documens\1C...

Your files looks correct, when you start thew game, the icon.rcu is loaded as "default", showing ID at 12 KM.

When type "y" will load the new settings in what only Dot visible, because color a 700 meters need other parameter - ID or RANGE to color be visible, the Dot itself don't change color.

When type 'n" (on console) will load the new settings - with ID at 12 KM, or return to "default". If invert the N and Y order will not notice changes.

The ID was use for MP flights - showing for example the M@v3r!cKTr1ggerH@ppy (or worse) calsign used by someone, but in SP flights what use in know enemy planes letters (e.g. DX) on fuselage?
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-08-2018 at 13:22.

5. Likes Ardu liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    You should edit files only in Documents\1C... folder, in SteamApps\Common\il2... files are backup and should remain originals, the game don't use then unless you delete ones in Documents\1C... folder, when a new copy is made for Documens\1C...

Your files looks correct, when you start thew game, the icon.rcu is loaded as "default", showing ID at 12 KM.

When type "y" will load the new settings in what only Dot visible, because color a 700 meters need other parameter - ID or RANGE to color be visible, the Dot itself don't change color.

When type 'n" (on console) will load the new settings - with ID at 12 KM, or return to "default". If invert the N and Y order will not notice changes.

The ID was use for MP flights - showing for example the M@v3r!cKTr1ggerH@ppy (or worse) calsign used by someone, but in SP flights what use in know enemy planes letters (e.g. DX) on fuselage?
    Thanks again for your help. I will remove my new creations from the Steam version of Blitz and stick to making mods in the Documents folders.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ardu View Post
    OK, hope I did enough research. I could not find any info on any change in the process to modify the RCU file in Blitz.

What I tried currently was to copy my previous RCU file ( which I had modified previously in the TF Mod prog, so as to be able to change the information and dot distances in the course of flying a mission...). I copied that modified file ( RCU ) into Blitz, same folder, etc. No luck. Any one have this figured out?

While I'm at it, anyone know if there are modifications to any of the other files, such as the .ini files, which might add features to the basic Blitz game?

Thanks.
    OK, I'm replying to my first post, to try to summarize all that I've learned from when I started this. By the magic of computers I can see how this thread is developing and try to make the information more clear. Hopefully, this post will help anyone interested in trying to modify how other aircraft are presented in Blitz or CLOD, while flying in Single Player. In other words if aircraft are too easy or difficult to spot when flying a Single Player mission, this will help you make changes to their visibility. AND, this thread if for anyone who, like me is computer language challenged.

The process discussed above, below, and herein, is the method to adjust the visibility of other aircraft when flying Single Player; this to make the other aircraft either easier or more difficult to see. When you become familiar with this simple process you will see that you can change, add or eliminate the identifier that normally appears on screen with the aircraft, change what color it is at various distances, and change when you first see that aircraft when it is only a dot on screen. In this thread I have used the settings I employ which allow me to switch from bare bones (no type identifier) to much easier identification (i.e., other aircraft appear on screen as dots from quite a distance, and DO HAVE identifiers, but remain uncolored until color appears only at reasonably close range.) You ultimately can learn to use this process to affect aspects of aircraft visibility, including aircraft type, identifier, color, and first distance dot appearances, for all aircraft identification.) Finally, with this process you can make the change between easy or difficult during the mission! So, if you loose sight of the enemy... More importantly, you can improve your ability to see other aircraft.

To summarize this process: you create two files in your game folder (by simply copying them as described below), and then insure that you have settings in your Controls menu, within the game, which allow you to turn on and turn off the console feature in the game. You then start the game and then employ the console to give the game your commands to change to your choice of one of two settings (which you can modify), which make it easier or more difficult to see the other aircraft. And this happens at any time in the mission if you wish to change other aircraft visibility.

Note, the process detailed here will cause your game settings to change: your Single Player missions will start with either of the new custom visibility settings! You will, however, be able to immediately change from simple aircraft identification to more difficult, or the opposite, right in the mission. So, when you use my syntax (my text) in creating the two files, you probably will change how you currently (with the default settings) see other aircraft. You will NOT, for example, see the aircraft identified by type or color. You will, however, see the dot of the aircraft at a more distant view. Should you not want this, after you try it, simply delete the two files you have created and you are back where you started. I don't believe you will do this because the two files I use vary from easy to more difficult aircraft detection. Moreover, if you are interested in this thread, you obviously are not wanting to keep the original game settings for aircraft identification. More importantly, learning how to use this process, which is quite simple, will allow you to continually change aircraft identification settings as you get better at the process of detecting those aircraft.

When creating the two files needed for this process, you do so by first accessing (opening) the game files in the following folder on your computer: This PC>Documents>1C SoftClub>il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover. Note, some may have this game folder a different location or your computer may use different syntax, such as: C:/Documents?1C... etc, depending on how you set up your computer; the point is do NOT make these modifications in the original location where the game was when it was downloaded to your computer, which is in the Steam folder. For whatever reason, your computer will have duplicate files for Blitz, one within the Steam folder and one within your Documents folder. The files are or at least were duplicates of each other when first downloaded. Changes made by you are done in the IC... folder found in the DOCUMENTS folder NOT in the STEAM folder. This as is explained in this thread by 1lokos, who explains all the details here and elsewhere quite well if you want more information as to the whys and wherefores of this.

OK, so you have located the correct 1C... folder where you CAN make modifications. You have opened the correct sub folder, identified above. You then see files and sub-folders listed in that folder. Now, to create two new files in that folder, simply right click anywhere in that folder, but not on a file or sub-folder. You can then create the two new files, as described below. Or, if you have already created them elsewhere, you can copy them and now post them into this folder.

The two files you create are icon.rcu and rcu. Note, they are NOT named as txt or other files; rather they are named just as: icon.rcu and rcu. (This is also explained in this thread.) You can easily create these files via Notepad. And you name them exactly as noted here, which means you do NOT name them with ".txt or any other file identifier. (But, again you do create them using Notepad, which, yes I know, is a .txt editor; and yes computers are mysterious to me...) The syntax (text, if you are like me, computer illiterate) of each file is exactly as noted in elsewhere this thread in the post where I detail the contents of each file. (i.e., copy and name both files as they are printed there, exactly).

After creating and saving these two files and leaving them in the correct folder described above, you can close Explorer or whatever file finder you used. Next start Blitz as you do normally. You then go to the Controls menu to insure you have programmed your game to be able to open the console feature in the game. This is done by locating that command ("console") in the Controls Menu>Game. If you haven't set a command to toggle the console, do so.

You are now ready to fly a mission AND use this process to change other aircraft visibility in that mission. To do this, during the mission, pause the game. Then, using your command, open the console. You will then see print magically appear on screen. That print is the console. There actually will be a cursor located at the appropriate spot, not that you care, because once the print appears on screen, you type either "y" or "n" (if you used the exact text of the noted files, and note capitalization is critical and right now I don't remember if I used caps or not, just be sure to use what's in the files...). After typing y or n, TAP THE ENTER KEY to insure your selection is activated by the game. If you don't hit the enter key after making your selection in console, the game will ignore your selection and thus ignore all you've done! Next, toggle the console to depart (use the same command you employed to open the console). You now should have changed the way other aircraft appear! So, if you went from an easy visibility setting to a more difficult setting, when you return to flying your mission, the other aircraft might well have disappeared, or lost some identification such as type or color.

I used y and n in these files because I wanted y to make aircraft easier to see and n to make them more difficult to see. Your syntax is your choice, as are all the settings in these files. (See below)

(Once you are familiar with the process, you will be confident enough to go back to the two files and change the text to reflect your own preferences as to what you see and when you see it. Just insure the lines of each file match, where needed. This will make sense when and if you decide to learn how to change syntax in these files.)

This post obviously is an overview or synopsis, and simplification, of several posts, which appear here and elsewhere, and which describe the process in detail. They also describe how modifying various parts of the texts in each file changes things on screen, allowing you to customize to your hearts content when you see an aircraft and how much information is available at that time on screen. Unfortunately some of those posts no longer exist, but by reading the ones that do, and this post, you will learn enough to easily make modifications to your personal preferences and are not limited by my choices as reflected by the particular text in the two files above.

All credit to 1lokos!