Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

  1. #1
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Have flown Blenheim hundreds of hours in CLOD 4.312. Have installed Blitz and started up OK but using routine start procedure the engines splutter for a couple of seconds and will not start. This occurs with the Blenheim and Beaufighter - have not tried other aircraft yet. Any suggestions please?

  2. #2
    TF Leadership RAF74_Buzzsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10,450
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.01 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by diggers33 View Post
    Have flown Blenheim hundreds of hours in CLOD 4.312. Have installed Blitz and started up OK but using routine start procedure the engines splutter for a couple of seconds and will not start. This occurs with the Blenheim and Beaufighter - have not tried other aircraft yet. Any suggestions please?
    - Chocks in

    - Air cooling shutters zero open

    - Fuel on for both engines

    - Magnetos on

    - Throttle 10%

    - Start

    - Allow engine to idle for at least 1 minute. After 30 seconds, start to gradually try to increase the throttle setting... very small increments... eventually you will be able to run full throttle.

    - Open shutters 100%

    - Chocks out

    - Taxi

  3. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
  4. #3
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    This is the start up routine I have always used but it is not working in Blitz ! Which is why I am stumped. My only thought is to reload Blitz and start again but would appreciate any other suggestions.

  5. #4
    Ace 1lokos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,777
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    918.23 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    diggers33

    My method for start any engine in CloD is:

    Open fuel cock(s)
    Set throttle at 10% *
    Press "I" key

    Bullet proof.

    I test there with Blenheim IV Late - no issue.

    Blenheim IV - I find left engine (#1) bit relutante to start*, right (# 2) no issue.

    Some planes of CloD, e.g. Tiger Moth, G-50... is sensible to throttle position for start engines, requiring ~10% open and will not start if are <9 or >11%, others like Spit, Hurri accept anything from 0 to ~25%.

    * For this planes help set a key for "Engine Throttle 10%) case your joy throttle potentiometer are not in good shape.

    I think that Blen IV left engine join in this "sensible team".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-03-2018 at 21:17.

  6. #5
    Student Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    I am having the same problem. I have flown hundreds of hours in blennies, spitfires, hurricanes, stukas, 109s..... and for some reason I can't seem to start my planes anymore on blitz. when I first installed it I started the spitfire just fine, even shot someone down yesterday. I went to try the Beaufighter and couldn't start it, so I went looking for tutorials and found a few people go through everything I am used to doing and I just can't seem to figure it out. Now the spitfires wont start for me either.

    My routine:
    create plane
    chocks in
    magnetos on
    cock on
    throttle at 10-15%
    start engine (i)
    let warm up, then open radiator

    only thing I do different on a multi-engine is that I have to start each engine individually before selecting all engines. I thought this could be a download problem but I was able to initially start the spitfire but my engines just wont start anymore

  7. #6
    Supporting Member BOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Posts
    2,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Select the inner tanks and put the fuel transfer cock on for good measure.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo, I5 6600K @ 4.4Ghz on a Coolermaster 212 Evo, MSI GTX1080 Gaming X, 16B Vengeance DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz, Couple of meh SSDs, Corsair 550W CX PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.


    " Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

  8. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
  9. #7
    Public Relations ATAG_Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sheffield UK
    Posts
    7,273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    Select the inner tanks and put the fuel transfer cock on for good measure.
    The fuel transfer cock is the black handle that is attached to the back of the green and red tank rotators in the cockpit...I think its got a number on it like 3...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

  10. #8
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    diggers33

    My method for start any engine in CloD is:

    Open fuel cock(s)
    Set throttle at 10% *
    Press "I" key

    Bullet proof.

    I test there with Blenheim IV Late - no issue.

    Blenheim IV - I find left engine (#1) bit relutante to start*, right (# 2) no issue.

    Some planes of CloD, e.g. Tiger Moth, G-50... is sensible to throttle position for start engines, requiring ~10% open and will not start if are <9 or >11%, others like Spit, Hurri accept anything from 0 to ~25%.

    * For this planes help set a key for "Engine Throttle 10%) case your joy throttle potentiometer are not in good shape.

    I think that Blen IV left engine join in this "sensible team".
    I know all this and used it in mod 4'312 hundreds of times but no joy in Blitz

  11. #9
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by mlambert7s View Post
    I am having the same problem. I have flown hundreds of hours in blennies, spitfires, hurricanes, stukas, 109s..... and for some reason I can't seem to start my planes anymore on blitz. when I first installed it I started the spitfire just fine, even shot someone down yesterday. I went to try the Beaufighter and couldn't start it, so I went looking for tutorials and found a few people go through everything I am used to doing and I just can't seem to figure it out. Now the spitfires wont start for me either.

    My routine:
    create plane
    chocks in
    magnetos on
    cock on
    throttle at 10-15%
    start engine (i)
    let warm up, then open radiator

    only thing I do different on a multi-engine is that I have to start each engine individually before selecting all engines. I thought this could be a download problem but I was able to initially start the spitfire but my engines just wont start anymore
    I am glad someone else has the same problem as me - I was beginning to think I was alone. It's very frustrating to have version 4.5 but unable to fly any aircraft and benefit from Team Fusions update. Can't even play mod 4.312 anymore as there are no servers supporting it anymore. Can anyone help ??

  12. #10
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    The fuel transfer cock is the black handle that is attached to the back of the green and red tank rotators in the cockpit...I think its got a number on it like 3...
    Have tried this Lewis - made no difference. All aircraft suffer the same fate - engine(s) splutters for a few seconds and cuts out. Cannot fly anything! Do you have any ideas? I see there is another pilot having the same problem and there may be more. Very frustrating. Cannot enjoy Team Fusions update and mod 4.312 is no longer supported for multiplayers. HELP

  13. #11
    Team Fusion 69th_Zeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    If you were able to fly previously, the big changes are that you have to be close or at 10% throttle. If it runs, you have to leave it there for 2 minutes or so, before you can increase RPM or your engine will quit. Hang in there!

  14. #12
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    [QUOTE=BOO;300002]Select the inner tanks and put the fuel transfer cock on for good measure.[/QU
    Already tried this without success. Thanks anyway

  15. #13
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Zeb View Post
    If you were able to fly previously, the big changes are that you have to be close or at 10% throttle. If it runs, you have to leave it there for 2 minutes or so, before you can increase RPM or your engine will quit. Hang in there!
    OK - 10% throttle and hold for 2 minutes. I may have been impatient, it did not matter with mod 4.312. Will give it a try and let you know how I go - Thanks for tip

  16. #14
    Student Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    so engine management is just a lot more serious in blitz. it wasn't until I changed my motor controls to digital and then set setting to the exact amounts the manuals suggest that I was able to start my planes.

  17. #15
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by mlambert7s View Post
    I am having the same problem. I have flown hundreds of hours in blennies, spitfires, hurricanes, stukas, 109s..... and for some reason I can't seem to start my planes anymore on blitz. when I first installed it I started the spitfire just fine, even shot someone down yesterday. I went to try the Beaufighter and couldn't start it, so I went looking for tutorials and found a few people go through everything I am used to doing and I just can't seem to figure it out. Now the spitfires wont start for me either.

    My routine:
    create plane
    chocks in
    magnetos on
    cock on
    throttle at 10-15%
    start engine (i)
    let warm up, then open radiator

    only thing I do different on a multi-engine is that I have to start each engine individually before selecting all engines. I thought this could be a download problem but I was able to initially start the spitfire but my engines just wont start anymore
    For some reason in mod 4.5 it appears the engine start up procedure has been tightened up in that the throttle setting is more sensitive (10% is ideal) and, more importantly, the warm up requires some minutes before throttle can be increased otherwise the engines splutter and shut down. As you know this was not the case in mod 4.312. It took ATAG to learn this !! Using this technique I have got the Blenheim IV Late in the air at last and will now try other aircraft. Suggest you do the same. Good luck mate

  18. #16
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The North Coast of NSW Australia - Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    94.45 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by diggers33 View Post
    OK - 10% throttle and hold for 2 minutes. I may have been impatient, it did not matter with mod 4.312. Will give it a try and let you know how I go - Thanks for tip
    Thanks mate - have followed your advice and got the Blenheim in the air at last. Mod 4.312 was far more tolerant and I don't understand why it was changed. Will try other aircraft now. Thanks again for the tip. Cheers

  19. #17
    ATAG Member ATAG_Highseas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Peurto del Slade, UK
    Posts
    5,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by diggers33 View Post
    Mod 4.312 was far more tolerant and I don't understand why it was changed.
    Simple answer is that it's because Cliffs is primarilay a simulation and the idea is for it to be acurate. How acurate it is i cant say (as i didnt fly in the war). BUT... I'm pretty sure it's acurate enough in so much as that planes didnt just leap into top killing machine mode right out of the hanger.


    I can still get most stuff off the ground about as fast (though with diffrent techniques now).. though some times i have also sat there wondering what im doing wrong... "it used to work like this".

    my advice is just roll with it.

    Pretty sure each time there was a field mod back then the pilots were told to just roll with it


    or more likely just did anyway.


    If you want to sit on an airfield and play about im happy to compare notes... I'm on UK time. PM me if you want. (serious)

    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jan-09-2018 at 19:59.


    - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E - i7-8700k - ASUS RTX 2080 Ti ROG STRIX OC GAMING - 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz -
    - CORSAIR 850W RMx Series PSU - Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler -
    - Virpil T50 Mongoos with Warthog Grip plus Extension Set -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -
    - HighseasPeripherals(tm) - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

    (Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey)

  20. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
  21. #18
    Student Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Post Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    I have just come back to CLoD Blitz t oget redy for the new Tobruk sim, but for somereason my I key does not start the engine. I ahve no idea why. I know the various Ac and have hte fuel cokc on, even puthte mags on but no luck. I heve deleted all my engine keys and re-mapped to no avail. I am startign to think I am really stupid as I just cant see what I am doing wrong - it should be easy - I fly DCS no problems! Anbody got any ideas waht I am doing wroong?

    SnS

  22. #19
    Novice Pilot
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    What plane are you flying mate?

  23. #20
    Student Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    I seem not to be able to start any thus, it must be a prblem with the key mapping. However, all the other keys that I have mapped work so I am confused.......

  24. #21
    Team Fusion ATAG_Oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    704.46 MB

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Two suggestions.

    Try starting a Bf-109, for me they seem to start easier.

    Do you have an info window open that shows the 'secondary engine controls'? You should see fuel cock opening/closing messages.

    Are you hitting the starter? Does the propeller turn over?

  25. #22
    Student Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Re: Cannot start engine in CLOD Blitz

    Sorry guys fixed by re-mapping all keys - must have been a duplication!

  26. Likes farley liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •