Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying Through Trees

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Flying Through Trees

Sounds dramatically. But how would you be able to exploit an invisible tree?
    Last edited by DUI; Jan-14-2018 at 19:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DUI View Post
    Sounds dramatically. But how would you be able to exploit an invisible tree?
    He's saying what I initially thought.
    If you don't see it and can fly through it but your pursuer does see it and can't, he will have avoid it while you fly straight.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    143.16 MB

Schrödinger's trunk.

4. Likes ATAG_Colander, DerDa, ATAG_Highseas, deep, BOO liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

I rather like the idea of not being able to know whether or not you're going to get away with it, regardless of whether you can see the trees or not. Might make a person think twice about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Murph View Post
    I rather like the idea of not being able to know whether or not you're going to get away with it, regardless of whether you can see the trees or not. Might make a person think twice about it.
    Well, that was my original idea but now I'm also thinking of those not doing it on purpose, like landing.
    I think it better stays the way it is now.

7. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBouff View Post
    Not sure how it works for builds at the moment if you have those levels set to high or low?
    Good question.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Well, that was my original idea but now I'm also thinking of those not doing it on purpose, like landing.
    So I have to turn my tress down to lowest common denominator as I've seen people flying through them with no damage :-(
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBouff View Post
    So I have to turn my tress down to lowest common denominator as I've seen people flying through them with no damage :-(
    Yes. If it is really important to you that nobody ever flies from you through trees he cannot see but you can, you will have to.

11. Likes Kayo, ATAG_Snapper, DUI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    660.92 MB

Actually on the day I downloaded the patch I tested with a friend if this happens and we concluded it does. I havent noticed this to be any problem online. I have my trees set to medium, I tested low but forests look funky on low.

On very high I dont see much of a difference compared to medium on relevant trees, like those placed next to avenues. The forests are way less dense and keep my fps above 60 though. Its not like the pilots who would abuse this know how coordinated flight works anyway..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

If you don't see it and can fly through it but your pursuer does see it and can't, he will have avoid it while you fly straight.
    Technically speaking I would not regard it as an exploit if someone is flying through one of those invisible trees unawarely, not knowing if his pursuer will have a tree there or not (not knowing if there is a tree on higher settings and not knowing what the tree settings of his opponent are).

But I totally meant it in a practical way. In my opinion those invisible trees will not have any effect at all on dogfights in 99% of those rare incidences. If I am flying in the 6 of an enemy who by chance flies through a single tree, this should not change the initial situation at all. If the enemy manages to get away or if I even manage to crash into this tree or to get shot down afterwards, the tree is the last one to blame.

I think you already mentioned it in one of your earlier posts: The incollidable trees were exploitable until TF 4.312, when planes were still able to fly through and hide in whole forests. But some single extra trees on the plain ground will not make a difference at all.
    And always think at our fellow SP pilots as well...
    Last edited by DUI; Jan-15-2018 at 14:35.

14. Likes Thomsen1958, DerDa, SirAthlon liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    62.82 MB

I don't worry about people flying through trees... I just stay above the ones I can see and let them zig and zag... washing off what little energy they have... Eventually they pop back up. Plus it gives me good practice at not becoming target fixated.

I think most ppl are unaware of this, and the ones that aren't it is not a very good exploit which gives them a false sense of security.. .
    Last edited by gonk; Jan-21-2018 at 18:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

If it was the other way around, where he was flying though trees he COULD see and you were running into trees you CAN'T see then That's a problem. If you see him fly through a tree then you know he has trees set to low. Like gonk said..if you're so target fixated that you don't see trees coming then that's on you I feel. You should be seeing the trees coming.. literally. It's not an exploit if he can't see them. But even then it's not going to save him for long. I love the tree collisions..and they need to be there. If you want to game the game and run low trees so you can try and save your virtual life a little longer go ahead.. in my opinion you're only cheating yourself instead. We all want to be competitive and the best we can be at whatever we do. At some point you have to look at yourself and say really? Is it making me better? Not really. If you want to run on the deck and fly between the trees.. you're only going to die tired..
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

17. Likes ATAG_Snapper, gonk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    If you want to game the game and run low trees so you can try and save your virtual life a little longer go ahead..
    No I want it to run on high trees for everybody, regardless of GFX settings, and so if you select low trees you just see the trunks not the leaves/branches (to make it easy on their GFX), or you just crash.
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

If this invisible trees don't became appear where don't exist tress now, not an big issue, runway approaches are reasonable clear of tress.

And the existence of invisible tress (1946 style) will make "cheaters" think two times before go "lawn mover".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12