Thread: German Ammo-Belts explained and translated

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

German Ammo-Belts explained and translated

Heyo

after some chatting while flying on 14.01.2018 i asked in the blue channel if it would be beneficial to have some kind of translation of the (quite complicated) names for the german ammunition in CLOD:Blitz.
    So i went ahead and typed this together:

MG Rounds (8mmx57mm applicable for all MachineGuns including Gunners) :

SmK Spitzgeschoß mit Stahlkern = SmK is the abbreviation , Spitzgeschoß = tipped round , mit Stahlkern = steel core = basically standard AP

SmK L´Spur (gelb) Spitzgeschoß mit Stahlkern ,Leuchtspur = same as above but L´Spur Leuchtspur = tracer (yellow)

SmK L´Spur (weiß) Spitzgeschoß mit Stahlkern ,Leuchtspur = same as above but tracer (white)

SmK Üb m. Zerl. Spitzgeschoß mit Stahlkern,Übungsmunition mit Zerleger = same as above but with a HE component , without tracer = should be a training round for confined spaces (shooting range) , currently does act like mini HE

PmK Phosphorgeschoß mit Stahlkern = Incendiary round with phosphorous as the incendiary component , also with steel core , no tracer

B Beobachtungspatrone mit Zerleger = observation round , a bright flash when it hits , no tracer , can be used to see if your hitting at all , should be able to ignite canvas surfaces according to JG4_Karaya

MG FF rounds (E3 , 110 C2 ...) 20 mm:
    dont be distracted by the several more available rounds, only 2 types for the FF cannon !

2 cm Spgr.Patr L´Spur FF m . Zerl - 2cm Sprenggranatpatrone Leuchtspur FF mit Zerleger = really complicated naming : Spreng = explody , granatpatrone = grenade ammo (but not to be taken literally) , its basically an HE round (filling ~ 6grams) , in this context Zerleger means it will self-destruct after a certain range and has a tracer

2 cm Pzgr.Patr. FF o.Zerl. - 2cm Panzergranatpatrone FF ohne Zerleger = also really complicated naming for a simple AP round...this time without tracer and no self-destruct

MG FF/M rounds (E4, 110 C4 and basically all planes with MG FF/M cannons):

2cm Pzgr.Patr. FFM o.Zerl. - 2cm Panzergranatpatrone FFM ohne Zerleger = AP round without tracer and self destruct

2cm Pzbrgr.Patr. (Ph) FFM o.Zerl. - 2cm Panzerbrandgranatpatrone (Phosphor) ohne Zerleger = the big brother of the incendiary MG-round with phophorous incendiary component

2cm Pzsprgr.Patr. L´Spur FFM m.Zerl. - 2cm Panzersprenggranatpatrone Leuchtspur FFM mit Zerleger = AP round with fragmentation once it's pierced a piece of armor. Designed to detonate after 10mm of penetration. Very effective against armor plating usually found on aircraft. (shamelessly copied from JG4_Karaya´s post)

2cm Brsprgr.Patr. L´Spur FFM m.Zerl. - 2cm Brandsprenggranatpatrone (what a monster word!) Leuchtspur FFM mit Zerleger = combined incendiary and HE round with tracer and self-destruct

2cm Brgr.Patr. L´Spur FFM o.Zerl. - 2cm Brandgranatpatrone Leuchtspur FFM ohne Zerleger = Incendiary round with tracer and without self-destruct

2cm M-Gesch.Patr. FFM m.Zerl. - 2cm Minengeschoßpatrone FFM mit Zerleger = THE FAMOUS Minengeschoß :It's a thin-walled high capacity HE round with little to no fragmentation and no armor penetration at all. Relies entirely on its blast and overpressure effect to damage aircraft structures (shamelessly copied again)

Hope you find that useful.
    If you find errors or have corrections post below and i will edit the post accordingly.

EDIT : corrections from JG4_Karaya worked in
    Last edited by Parrot; Jan-15-2018 at 11:16.

2. Likes SharkBait, CarlMarks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Re: German Ammo-Belts explained and translated

Thank you for taking the time, Parrot! Very helpful.

This video is quite old, but I'm also tacking it on to the thread in case it's helpful for people to see the effects of the various ammo rounds in-game. Credit goes to Apeoftheyear (where is the guy these days??).

Of course, those who are knowledgeable should correct any mistakes / misunderstandings.

~S
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

SmK Üb m. Zerl.

Historically it's NOT an HE round. It's just an SmK round with tracer component and self-destruct designed to be used on shooting ranges with limited space. Wasn't really used in combat at all.

B Beobachtungspatrone mit Zerleger

Pretty much the same as the British Observer round. No penetration at all but should be capable of easily igniting canvas covered surfaces (e.g. controls)

2cm Pzsprgr.Patr. L´Spur FFM m.Zerl.

It's more like an AP round with fragmentation once it's pierced a piece of armor. Designed to detonate after 10mm of penetration. Very effective against armor plating usually found on aircraft.

2cm M-Gesch.Patr. FFM m.Zerl.

It's a thin-walled high capacity HE round with little to no fragmentation and no armor penetration at all. Relies entirely on its blast and overpressure effect to damage aircraft structures.

Btw the most "monster" word would probably be "Panzerbrandsprenggranatpatrone" (so basically APHEI). Such rounds were fielded with the Mk101 & 103 for combating lightly armored vehicles.

5. Likes Parrot liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    SmK Üb m. Zerl.

Historically it's NOT an HE round. It's just an SmK round with tracer component and self-destruct designed to be used on shooting ranges with limited space. Wasn't really used in combat at all.

B Beobachtungspatrone mit Zerleger

Pretty much the same as the British Observer round. No penetration at all but should be capable of easily igniting canvas covered surfaces (e.g. controls)

2cm Pzsprgr.Patr. L´Spur FFM m.Zerl.

It's more like an AP round with fragmentation once it's pierced a piece of armor. Designed to detonate after 10mm of penetration. Very effective against armor plating usually found on aircraft.

2cm M-Gesch.Patr. FFM m.Zerl.

It's a thin-walled high capacity HE round with little to no fragmentation and no armor penetration at all. Relies entirely on its blast and overpressure effect to damage aircraft structures.

Btw the most "monster" word would probably be "Panzerbrandsprenggranatpatrone" (so basically APHEI). Such rounds were fielded with the Mk101 & 103 for combating lightly armored vehicles.
    Thanks for the corrections , so the SmK Üb. m.Zerl. should really be a training round ? currently it acts otherwise...
    also i found the "B" round totally ineffective (other experiences may vary)

ah....monster word contest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    62.95 MB

Ok thank you for this good explanation, now I ask if someone can post a complete User.ini loadout setting (with convergence) for German AC(s) , a generic/ standard one but complete for all planes as we all can simply "slam" into the game files and finally shoot from german side

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Just adding this for good measure:

German projectile names past the 7.92mm caliber are very modular and easy to understand once you've figured out the individual parts.

Panzer - Armor piercing
    Brand - Incendiary
    Spreng - High explosive
    Granatpatrone - Projectile (part of every name)

L'Spur = Leuchtspur = tracer
    Gl'Spur = Glimmspur = low-intensity tracer for night time
    m.Zerl. = mit Zerleger = with self-destruct
    o.Zerl. = ohne Zerleger = without self-destruct

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Parrot View Post
    Heyo

2cm M-Gesch.Patr. FFM m.Zerl. - 2cm Minengeschoßpatrone FFM mit Zerleger = THE FAMOUS Minengeschoß :It's a thin-walled high capacity HE round with little to no fragmentation and no armor penetration at all. Relies entirely on its blast and overpressure effect to damage aircraft structures (shamelessly copied again)
    In my experience, the the lack of AP for this round is largely not relevant when it comes to CLoD air to air. My personal load out is usually made up largely or exclusively of this round (if I am flying anything equipped with the MG FF/M) and I do not load tracer rounds. The ballistics of the MG FF/M take a bit to get used to, but once you do you really don't need the tracers to land hits. It has the added advantage of increasing the chance of success on stealth kills if you miss your first shot or two on an unsuspecting target (my favorite kind...tee hee...)

On a side note: My machine guns always have a mix made up of AP and incendiary. I recently started loaded a few tracer rounds for the machine guns as well, but only because I like the look of the tracers in Blitz.
    Vae Victis!

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight." - Sun Tzu

Come watch the fun!

10. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.28 MB

Does anyone else use the "2cm Pzgr.Patr. FFM o.Zerl", the "dumb" AP round? I use this and minengeschoss, but have been increasingly reducing my ratio of the latter.

My ratio of pilot kills and flameouts/blackouts (what I call black smoke/oil leaks) went up spectacularly! It seems the 20mm AP rounds will go stem to stern on even a bomber, as pilot/bombardier kills seem to be no problem even when firing from dead astern.

Frankly I find minengeschoss somewhat overrated, unless you shoot off a tail or aileron fighters are VERY hard for me to take down with it. Bombers seem even more resistant, maybe this is just my perception.

12. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by hughesengles View Post
    Does anyone else use the "2cm Pzgr.Patr. FFM o.Zerl", the "dumb" AP round? I use this and minengeschoss, but have been increasingly reducing my ratio of the latter.

My ratio of pilot kills and flameouts/blackouts (what I call black smoke/oil leaks) went up spectacularly! It seems the 20mm AP rounds will go stem to stern on even a bomber, as pilot/bombardier kills seem to be no problem even when firing from dead astern.

Frankly I find minengeschoss somewhat overrated, unless you shoot off a tail or aileron fighters are VERY hard for me to take down with it. Bombers seem even more resistant, maybe this is just my perception.

I've actually just changes my loadout to this, for the very reason you state. I'll keep you posted with my thoughts after a month or so of playing.

14. Likes hughesengles liked this post