Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why does anyone play this game, it's boring and frustrating

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    11.18 MB

Re: Why does anyone play this game, it's boring and frustrating

Possibly one of the best reads I have had in awhile, thanks Pops

I think it would be best if we all start seeing you on TS real soon mate so we can all wing up and show you how to chase some planes down!

I gaurentee you that it wont be boring, a barrel of laughs maybe but not boring!

From your flight description, slow, barely stable etc I think you might have been in an E1 or E3 BF109 maybe? These have manual prop pitch and need constant adjustment and tweaking...just a guess

Hope to see you on the server soon

Cheers
    Nudge

Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Nudge View Post
    I think it would be best if we all start seeing you on TS real soon mate so we can all wing up and show you how to chase some planes down!
    This is the biggest and best advice everyone here has had to offer. I cut my teeth on the original IL-2 back in 2001. I really didn't become 'proficient' until it was all I did on my down time whilst in Afghanistan from 2004 -2006 (yes, I had a 17" laptop, X-52, and trackir while there). Having no way of even thinking about flying online I had work and work and work to catch/beat the AI uber pilots...

Since returning in 2006 I've found nothing but joy and friendship from the online multi-player environment that the IL-2 series has to offer. Keep at it Pops, get on comms (you'll be happy you did), and just have fun.

~S~

Deacon
    Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Why does anyone play this game, it's boring and frustrating
    .....and spend so much money on.
    That's the one you forgot, said my wife.
    But after a some time she finally understood why.You will also if you give it time.It has been said befor, get on TeamSpeak and get the help you need.

cheers Stormrider
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.07 MB

Pops what time zone are you in?
    I could theoretically help you get online. We could go on server 2 and discuss the basics, I can then fly against you 1vs1 and act as a target for you so you get used to pushing your plane to its limits. While doing that I can talk you through the manouvers at the same time.

Nothing gets you better training than a mock dogfight.

Do you have Teamspeak yet?

Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kling View Post
    I can then fly against you 1vs1 and act as a target for you so you get used to pushing your plane to its limits. While doing that I can talk you through the manouvers at the same time.

POP'S, DO NOT TRUST THIS...Kling is just a blood-thirsty cold hardened killer. ( )

I'm just kidding, Kling is good to go.
    Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Well, whadda you know... I really didn't expect this thread would turn for the better, but in blatant defiance of the very nature of internet conversations, it somehow did!

Gotta say, this community is indeed something else. You don't find it even in (seemingly) very similar sims, like BoS and DCS.... Perhaps it is because is literally a game made by it's players. Or might be the other way around, and it is so because of the players, who would go as far as to become those who re-made it (ultimately being granted its source code)

Either way, welcome aboard!

As for your learning plans, I can only add one thing, which is: Jump into the deep end! Get on the ATAG server and join us on TeamSpeak. You'll find more than one willing volunteer who will gladly take you up and coach you through. This is just part of the aviation community, we are few and often far between, so we help each other out so there can be more of us.

True story, I used to fly gliders IRL, and my instructor (and all instructors in that field) did it for free! His pay was partly the fact that the student paid for the tow plane and he got to fly all day without burning a hole through his wallet, but besides that, the teaching part was wholly volunteer. Just for the love of flight and to share it with the new guys.

Sadly, that little airfield was only convenient back when my grandpa owned a farm nearby... After he sold the farm, it was too far a drive without a place for the weekend stay.

Anyways, welcome! Look forward to seeing you in TS soon.
    Last edited by Moach; Jan-17-2018 at 14:58.
    Rule of thumb: Every '109 has a wingman...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Vlerkies: Thank you. Your response has been the most helpful of all so far with the video! The one question I have for you (or the rest of the group) is what is the slowest flying German plan listed in the game that's not a fighter? Again, my plan is to stay out of dogfights for a bit.

ATAG_Snapper: I'm using a MS Sidewinder Percision 2. To me it seems VERY sensitive at times and then at others, no response at all. I bought it used since they don't make them anymore. Maybe it's bad. I've looked to see if there's a calibration feature but didn't see anything. When I watch YT videos, people seem to fly very smoothly. I'm assuming that's just me needing more practice but if there's a better, more stable, JS I'd be interested in know (oh, I hope I didn't just open up another can of worms about which joystick is best - LOL!). Also, thank you for understanding my post as most have. Specs: Acer Aspire F 15 Intel i5-5200 with Nvidia GForce 940MX with 4GB dedicated RAM. The game plays fine (smooth), it's the pilot that's jittery and out of control.

HerrBaron: I have noticed that. I use forums for many things from fixing cars to trying to learn ClOD and this is by far the best group of people I've run across. TBH I was expecting to get flamed a bit and haven't as you have pointed out. I keep coming back here even though I said I wouldn't. I really do want everyone's help. For reasons I won't go into, I love the whole WWII era and what the world did to defeat such a terrible man and his ideals. From movies to flight sim's, it's a period of history that I'd very much interested in.

Everyone: Thank you all for all your ideas, thoughts, comments and support. I'll get on team speak as soon as I can, until then, if you can point out the "biggest, slowest target" I'll customize a quick mission and keep going after it.

Cheers
    I noticed you said your controls sometimes work and sometimes don't. ... Have you checked and made sure. Animorphic controls isn't accidentally checked. Being new I think it's on by default? Maybe this has changed, I can't remember. You want to make sure that it's UNCHECKED.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

8. Likes ATAG_Nudge liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    10.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kling View Post
    Pops what time zone are you in?
    I could theoretically help you get online. We could go on server 2 and discuss the basics, I can then fly against you 1vs1 and act as a target for you so you get used to pushing your plane to its limits. While doing that I can talk you through the manouvers at the same time.

Thanks Kling, unfortunately, Friday at 6 AM, I'm on a flight out of the country on a business trip for 2 weeks so No CLOD until I get back. I'm bummed, I finally got going on CLOD and now I have to shelve it for 2 weeks. Can we pick things back up when I get back?

10. Likes ATAG_Deacon, ATAG_Nudge liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    10.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    I noticed you said your controls sometimes work and sometimes don't. ... Have you checked and made sure. Animorphic controls isn't accidentally checked. Being new I think it's on by default? Maybe this has changed, I can't remember. You want to make sure that it's UNCHECKED.
    Where do I find the Animorphic setting? I'll look for it and make sure. Thanks

And thanks to everyone who has offered to help. And finally to let everyone know, I did get TS working. I logged on and heard a few people talking then the left for another channel or server or something. So that's good that TS now works.

I'll be back in 2 weeks to pick this back up and yes, the bombers do shoot back and are accurate. They keep getting my radiator and oil! Now that's fun because I'm getting them too.

Cheers all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Look for options/realism in the gui. When you join TS you get to a 'ready room' by default, from there you can double click the channel 'allied main' or axis a bit further down the list - you'll see where the names are. Happy hunting Pops! ~S~

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    10.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Nudge View Post
    Possibly one of the best reads I have had in awhile, thanks Pops

I gaurentee you that it wont be boring, a barrel of laughs maybe but not boring!

From your flight description, slow, barely stable etc I think you might have been in an E1 or E3 BF109 maybe? These have manual prop pitch and need constant adjustment and tweaking...just a guess

Hope to see you on the server soon

Cheers
    Nudge
    I'm using the Hurricane but want will be moving over to the spitfire and sticking to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

I run the hurricane full boost 110% and 75-85 prop pitch 67% rad. When up to speed 260-280 mph you can drop the rads to like 50% down low on the deck. And still be safe. Just keep an eye on Water and oil temps.

Canopy open max speed 270
    Canopy closed you can squeeze 280 out of her.
    I love the Hurricane because it's a killing machine down low. And it's the most stable gun platform for the RAF. Learn it and love it. The Spit is fast and Elegant..and a killing machine as well... But when the fight drops to the deck ,where 80% of the fights end up..the Hurricane will shine in the proper hands.
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Jan-18-2018 at 12:14.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Guys, I am close to tears!
    Ok, well not really tears, I am in the end anyhow German and Swedish (wondering which half is more emotionless)

Anyway, when I initially read Pops's post, before anybody answered, I just though, well bugger off then if it's so boring. I really did not expect anything else but some not entirely friendly comments from other users with advise to look for less boring hobbies like fishing or maybe collecting stamps (no offence for stamp collectors or fishermen )
    But when the first answers dropped in I realized what this community is all about and why it is so special and why I love to be part of it.

I will never even start thinking "bugger off then" when similar posts occur and I am really glad that Pops not just "buggered off" and stayed.

Well done!

I am already now seeing forward to see the server-message "FG28_Kayo was shot down by Pops".

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    634.51 MB

Maybe my answer is delayed but, Pops, now you understand why we are not bored with this simulator that offers nothing fun ...... are the people who play it and those who have worked to improve it . Gentlemen, my respect!
    Rontaila (Steam id YR-DAN)
    First come ,last left
    My rig : Win 10 pro 64 bit; Mb Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO ,I5 11400F @4,2GHz,gc,GIGABYTE RTX 3070 TI 8 Gb,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 ,SSD Transcend 240 Gb, Gigabyte G32QC ,VKB Gladiator Pro,MMJOY2 home made pedals and gas , TrackIR 5. Steam ID: YR-DAN

17. Likes ATAG_Lewis, Kayo, ATAG_Pattle, danperin liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123