Thread: Smoking Aircraft

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Smoking Aircraft

Hello,

I've searched through the forum to see if someone has brought this up already, but I didn't see anything after ~5 minutes of sifting through recent threads. Apologies if someone has raised this in writing, and I'm sure people are aware of this issue already.

Issue
    I've come across a few instances in which aircraft (both friendly and enemy), which are in mint condition (not damaged), appear to trail smoke. The smoke has varied in intensity. Sometimes, as in a 109 I recently saw, it only appears out of one wing. In other instances, as in a hurricane I was battling, there was so much brown smoke that i thought the aircraft was on fire. (The fight ended badly for me, because my FPS would plummet every time I got near the hurricane... and my poor gunnery!)

Unfortunately, I did not capture any videos / screen shots, but if I do next time, I'll be sure to post it.

Related Issue?
    This may be related, but when I was flying in a 109 one day, I was told by a wing mate that one of my wheels was down. However, my controls indicated that both wheels were up (red lights), and my aerodynamics seemed perfectly fine, so we figured that may have been another graphical glitch.

Just wanted to flag these quirks in the game I experienced. Much thanks to Team Fusion for an awesome overhaul of the game. Your work is certainly revitalizing the flight sim community and is a true example of passion and dedication.

~S
    SharkBait
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Re: Smoking Aircraft

I'm not sure if it's been brought forth officially..but I have seen it with varied aircraft. The first time was with a Blenni. I was flying blue at the time so it made him very easy to trail. It was coming off the entire wingspan..but wasn't super thick. Kind of like a light dusting. I have also seen it off fighters specifically a Hurricane and 109. (On both it was super thick and long trailing. It almost looked like a dirt brown color)Both seemed undamaged to the naked Eye..but not sure if they had some internal damage going on.
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Jan-17-2018 at 19:23.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

It has been observed by TWC members as well. Interestingly it does not show up in a trackfile, only real time. (light white, black or brown smoke, not the Cache related thick white stuff).

Perfectly healthy aircraft, sometimes straight after take off, sometimes at higher atitudes. Appears randomly but tends to stay with the affected aircraft for duration of flight. Again, not everyone can see it but more than one sometimes can.
    The affected pilot cannot see it behind the aircraft or in external view servers.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Its been noted in another thread and some TFS members are aware of it but not sure if its been added to the bug tracker. Hopefully Artist may be able to advise if it has been added in due course.

Ezzie

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Is it the same effect?
    "Led by courage followed by luck" - Puma sqn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    Its been noted in another thread and some TFS members are aware of it but not sure if its been added to the bug tracker. Hopefully Artist may be able to advise if it has been added in due course.

Ezzie
    Artist saw it himself on Sunday morning. We were chasing a 109 until the map ended about 5 minutes later that dragged a thick trail of brown-black smoke without showing any other sign of being damaged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Yep...I have witnessed this effect too..It can actually make it quite hard to see the enemy when you are close to firing...

I think its a known bug
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by VO101_Mate View Post
    Is it the same effect?
    Looks like a bug in vortice trails (pulling max turns)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

This bug persists in version 4.56...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

I seem to remember this from months ago but wasn't this related to dust on the ground? Not 100% positive but I am sure it was to do with the wheel animation being linked to the dust effect on take off. Somehow the wheel down or maybe the hydraulics being damaged being linked to the undercarriage triggered the dust effects. The longer it went on the more prolific the dust effect?

Like I say, that's from memory from quite a while back?
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    I seem to remember this from months ago but wasn't this related to dust on the ground? Not 100% positive but I am sure it was to do with the wheel animation being linked to the dust effect on take off. Somehow the wheel down or maybe the hydraulics being damaged being linked to the undercarriage triggered the dust effects. The longer it went on the more prolific the dust effect?

Like I say, that's from memory from quite a while back?
    Definitely a real thing. I'll try to remember to video it next time I see it. Also a big problem, sometimes a particular aircraft will be enveloped in a perpetual cloud of steam, much, much worse than if they were just venting. I've seen it on AI aircraft, as well as human-controlled aircraft. It makes hitting them almost impossible, as you can't tell where in the cloud the actual aircraft is located.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    43.95 MB

Do you have the track record?

If yes, please send it to me via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    This bug persists in version 4.56...

13. Likes Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Quote Originally Posted by xoriguer View Post
    Do you have the track record?

If yes, please send it to me via PM.
    Done, sent two tracks, one with dust and one with snow:

shot_20190914_231950.jpg

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

15. Likes Tibsun, Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

I have theory on why this bug happens.
    It is hardly to reproduce on purpose though.

I count this bug to the "bubble range class" - client fails to receive stop commands outside of the clients bubble
    client does not receive data of foreign planes on the server outside of bubble range - possible reason is the netcode written to avoid unnecessary data traffic and server load.

These bugs origin is similar to:
    1.) stuka sirene bug
    - distance of sound bubble - foreign player retracts dive flaps while outside of clients sound bubble, client does not receive "stop sirene sound" because he was outside of bubble).

2.) engine sound of foreign aircraft keeps going when no airplane is around
    - client going to desktop, while the other plane flies away, client or user comes back to game, does not receive "stop exterior engine sound" of the plane flying away, because plane already left bubble
    - the client is unable to gain or process this network data while having game on the background

3.) White smoke, actually water sliding effect explained below

My thoughts on dirt/snow bug - client does not receive "stop dirt from sliding on the ground" because outside of effects bubble.

When planes spawn in, the client may get initial data of a position for a vehicle, (plane/ship/car)
    They may slide into a certain position, when coming into "dot" visual bubble.
    (The thing with ships sliding from an initial position to current actual position when coming into the dot visual bubble).
    AI bombers or or foreign player aircrafts may slide with dirt into the initial position of spawning where data is send to the client, but being outside of visual bubble, client never receives "stop sliding dirt" from foreign vehicles.
    It sounds unlikely to me, very hard to find any other reasons of planes doing dirt while client leaves the bubble range at the same time, when the plane actually stops sliding...
    If you have any other idea how your client would see a foreign enemy aicraft or AI bombers doing dirt when they slide or spawn in (means you are nowhere near those planes when they would slide). Please tell us.

"White Smoke" bug, is in my theory, the water version of ther dirt bug, instead of sliding over the ground, they slide over the water, client doesn't receive the stop command of "water sliding/splashing".
    In my book, the same as the dirt bug. Knowing that dirt bug only appeared recently, it is possible that sliding effect (just effect not the bug) doing dirt has been added since "Blitz", where dirt effects first appeared in the sky.

I havn't checked if sliding had dirt effects before yet.
    I know for sure the "water effect bug" aka "White Smoke" existed before "Blitz"
    Last edited by Tibsun; Nov-19-2019 at 11:45.

17. Likes Kling, ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

We are aware of this bug and hope to fix it.

Aircraft will also smoke from their exhausts at times if the engine is damaged... but that is normal and less noticeable.

19. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Should even good clean running WWII aircraft still leave a faint hint of exhaust smoke? I feel they would.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yes definitely, however at the moment its not worth the extra particles to show such a relatively slight effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    Should even good clean running WWII aircraft still leave a faint hint of exhaust smoke? I feel they would.
    "So, the Sun is now a terrorist?"

22. Likes ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    I know what you mean but having attended Flying Legends multiple times this is not something I have noticed at all.
    I appreciate an engine at full revs may produce a thin veil but as Vino put, I can't see the result would be worth the effort. Just my thoughts, Mysticpuma.
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

24. Likes ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    974.2 KB

IL-2: GB produces the effect with aircraft running at full revs which matches what I've read from various pilot reports, notably Hap Kennedy's recollections of enemy 109s and 190s with thin trails of black/brown smoke indicating that they're running max out.

It's a nice detail, but not something that is a deal breaker for CLoD, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Maybe I'm upstream but this bug is super cool at times...

Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals